ISRO General News and Updates

Akask kumar

DO you guys know that NASA was pushing ISRO to be part for new ISS as current ISS is completing it's life span in 2020, RUSSIA, ESA, NASA has decided to elongate it's life till 2024..

Intially NASA , RUSSIA, ESA, JAXA was in discussion for contacting ISRO to launch some of the parts of ISS into space but looking at technical capability they decided to go forward with CHINA.. CHINA is launching a manned mission to moon in 2017.. they will collect samples of soil and come back.. also china has it's plan to ready it's own space station by 2025..

I had been debating long that ISRO has to switch it's gear now.. for launches of PSLV, GSLV they have to delegate it to other startups like (started by ex-ISRO scientists along with JV with young blood

Check this ...

http://www.bellatrixaerospace.com/garuda.html

ISRO should focus it's focus working on new technology

http://www.bellatrixaerospace.com/satellite-propulsion.html

RLV and Manned space missions.. by 2020 if it has to stay in the race..

ISRO has already done enough on launch vehicles it needs to work on future tech...
i was joking.. i meant ,by december GSLV MK3 will be ready so we dnt neeed Ariane 5 services after december..

but since GSLV mk3 initally can carry 4 tonnes to GTO n its capability will be extended by 2018 ,,so correction ...
we will be using ariane 5 services til 2018. after that we will be self reliant as per launches are concerned.

yes work is going on to hand over PSLV launches to some private firm and i think it will be done around 2020..
yes ISRO needs to do more science and exploration ..currently its just hooked in commercial purposes..

space station is a long shot .. may be by end of 2030 we will step in .. first we have to get our manned mission online and start mining the moon..

if we do collaboration with other agencies , we can expect space station little earlier but if we plan all alone like china then it will take time..

if u read news it seems ISRO is more concerned about fuel station than space station..lot of cards are on decision table.. lets see what ISRO chooses in future..

Akask kumar

.....................................................................deleted..

Last edited:

Akask kumar

DO you guys know that NASA was pushing ISRO to be part for new ISS as current ISS is completing it's life span in 2020, RUSSIA, ESA, NASA has decided to elongate it's life till 2024..

Intially NASA , RUSSIA, ESA, JAXA was in discussion for contacting ISRO to launch some of the parts of ISS into space but looking at technical capability they decided to go forward with CHINA.. CHINA is launching a manned mission to moon in 2017.. they will collect samples of soil and come back.. also china has it's plan to ready it's own space station by 2025..

I had been debating long that ISRO has to switch it's gear now.. for launches of PSLV, GSLV they have to delegate it to other startups like (started by ex-ISRO scientists along with JV with young blood

Check this ...

http://www.bellatrixaerospace.com/garuda.html

ISRO should focus it's focus working on new technology

http://www.bellatrixaerospace.com/satellite-propulsion.html

RLV and Manned space missions.. by 2020 if it has to stay in the race..

ISRO has already done enough on launch vehicles it needs to work on future tech...
just checked this company Facebook accnt.. its joke.. they dnt have funds and all the fancy rockets they posted on their website is fiction not reality.. they bunch of college going kids.. but have made few prototupe of electric engine.. its prototype..

lupgain

Country flag
O
just checked this company Facebook accnt.. its joke.. they dnt have funds and all the fancy rockets they posted on their website is fiction not reality.. they bunch of college going kids.. but have made few prototupe of electric engine.. its prototype..
Ok..

But I strongly believe time for ISRO 2.0 version is been long pending now..... They can choose any or all Indian Tech Giants like L&T, Godrej, Mahindra and TATA who have been manufacturing Rocket ancillaries for ISRO from past two decades now..

let them hand over TOT to these giants for further development of heavy I will vouch for Godrej coz they already have expertise and company name as Godrej Areospace.. Let the whole project of launching come under the umbrella of ANTRIX..

ISRO can put it's focus mainly on ISS / RLV / Manned mission to reduce it's time period. we can't now lag in the race of space exploration

The next couple of decades are going to be more about space exploration and it's tech..

If you guys remember I posted and article in this forum about Visual docking technologies ( QUOTE="lupgain, post: 1200709, member: 1175"]In the 12th five year plan of ISRO, a new initiative of Space Docking Experiment has been mentioned. The experiment will be based on the low impact docking concept (berthing scheme, Fig.1) using two small satellites (IMS-1 class ~ 100 kg, Fig.2). During the plan period a number of small satellite (IMS class) missions have been planned to demonstrate the new emerging technologies. Rendezvous and Docking (RVD) is one of the major missions of technology demonstration . These satellites will be flown on the PSLV missions as auxiliary or co-passenger satellites.
FIGURE 1

FIGURE 2

Possible Applications:
Mastering the RVD technology will help ISRO in future space missions. One possible use could be in orbit servicing of satellites. ISRO operates large number of satellites that are used for communication, remote sensing and soon for navigation purpose. Life of these satellites is limited by the amount of fuel they carry with them in orbit. RVD will allow ISRO to dock a servicing spacecraft with a satellite for the purpose of servicing and refueling. This will increase lifespan of the satellite and save the cost of building replacement satellites. Another advantage of satellite servicing is reduction in space debris as fewer replacements will be required for a satellite. RVD is also critical for Human Space Flight program of ISRO.

Rendezvous and docking (RVD) experiment mission involving two IMS (Indian Micro Satellite) series spacecrafts. ISAC, a ISRO centre, has been involved in developing navigation and guidance algorithm for RVD. In this experiment, two IMS Spacecrafts, one designated as target and the other designated as chaser, will be launched by a PSLV launcher into two slightly different orbits. There will be no communication link between the target and chaser during the far range rendezvous phase in which relative separation between the spacecrafts will be around 50km to 5km range and this phase will be a ground guided phase. In the docking phase of the mission, docking sensors such as Laser Range Finder during the relative separation of 5 km to 0.25km, Docking Camera during the relative separation of 300m to 1m ,Visual Camera for real time imaging during the relative separation of 1m to docking will be used respectively.

For the purpose of testing and verification of vision based docking algorithms before a real world implementation is carried out, ISRO has developed a 3D simulation environment that is being used to simulate docking phase of the mission. A snap of the simulation is presented in the Figure below.

Targeted Applications of RVD: RVD technology is one of many enabling technologies for ISRO's human space flight program. Another promising application of this technology will be increasing age of ISRO's satellites like that from IRS, INSAT and IRNSS systems. RVD technology will allow a resupply (fuel, power pack etc) spacecraft to dock with a satellite in orbit and allow for replenishment of fuel and power pack, thereby increasing satellites age. To facilitate this, as per my research, ISRO has been designing its newest satellite bus called I-6K, which is a unified bus with modular design ,multi EV panels and scalable structure (Bus module & payload module). A modular design will allow easy and fast replacement of bus module in the orbit by the resupply space craft. The resupply spacecraft might itself be a new bus module (with fuel, power pack etc.) that will dock with the payload module in the orbit after the old bus module undocks.

UNDERSTANDING VISUAL NAVIGATION

[/QUOTE]

under experimental stage by ISRO should be focused)

Akask kumar

O

Ok..

But I strongly believe time for ISRO 2.0 version is been long pending now..... They can choose any or all Indian Tech Giants like L&T, Godrej, Mahindra and TATA who have been manufacturing Rocket ancillaries for ISRO from past two decades now..

let them hand over TOT to these giants for further development of heavy I will vouch for Godrej coz they already have expertise and company name as Godrej Areospace.. Let the whole project of launching come under the umbrella of ANTRIX..

ISRO can put it's focus mainly on ISS / RLV / Manned mission to reduce it's time period. we can't now lag in the race of space exploration

The next couple of decades are going to be more about space exploration and it's tech..

If you guys remember I posted and article in this forum about Visual docking technologies ( QUOTE="lupgain, post: 1200709, member: 1175"]In the 12th five year plan of ISRO, a new initiative of Space Docking Experiment has been mentioned. The experiment will be based on the low impact docking concept (berthing scheme, Fig.1) using two small satellites (IMS-1 class ~ 100 kg, Fig.2). During the plan period a number of small satellite (IMS class) missions have been planned to demonstrate the new emerging technologies. Rendezvous and Docking (RVD) is one of the major missions of technology demonstration . These satellites will be flown on the PSLV missions as auxiliary or co-passenger satellites.
FIGURE 1

FIGURE 2

Possible Applications:
Mastering the RVD technology will help ISRO in future space missions. One possible use could be in orbit servicing of satellites. ISRO operates large number of satellites that are used for communication, remote sensing and soon for navigation purpose. Life of these satellites is limited by the amount of fuel they carry with them in orbit. RVD will allow ISRO to dock a servicing spacecraft with a satellite for the purpose of servicing and refueling. This will increase lifespan of the satellite and save the cost of building replacement satellites. Another advantage of satellite servicing is reduction in space debris as fewer replacements will be required for a satellite. RVD is also critical for Human Space Flight program of ISRO.

Rendezvous and docking (RVD) experiment mission involving two IMS (Indian Micro Satellite) series spacecrafts. ISAC, a ISRO centre, has been involved in developing navigation and guidance algorithm for RVD. In this experiment, two IMS Spacecrafts, one designated as target and the other designated as chaser, will be launched by a PSLV launcher into two slightly different orbits. There will be no communication link between the target and chaser during the far range rendezvous phase in which relative separation between the spacecrafts will be around 50km to 5km range and this phase will be a ground guided phase. In the docking phase of the mission, docking sensors such as Laser Range Finder during the relative separation of 5 km to 0.25km, Docking Camera during the relative separation of 300m to 1m ,Visual Camera for real time imaging during the relative separation of 1m to docking will be used respectively.

For the purpose of testing and verification of vision based docking algorithms before a real world implementation is carried out, ISRO has developed a 3D simulation environment that is being used to simulate docking phase of the mission. A snap of the simulation is presented in the Figure below.

Targeted Applications of RVD: RVD technology is one of many enabling technologies for ISRO's human space flight program. Another promising application of this technology will be increasing age of ISRO's satellites like that from IRS, INSAT and IRNSS systems. RVD technology will allow a resupply (fuel, power pack etc) spacecraft to dock with a satellite in orbit and allow for replenishment of fuel and power pack, thereby increasing satellites age. To facilitate this, as per my research, ISRO has been designing its newest satellite bus called I-6K, which is a unified bus with modular design ,multi EV panels and scalable structure (Bus module & payload module). A modular design will allow easy and fast replacement of bus module in the orbit by the resupply space craft. The resupply spacecraft might itself be a new bus module (with fuel, power pack etc.) that will dock with the payload module in the orbit after the old bus module undocks.

UNDERSTANDING VISUAL NAVIGATION

good info,, nicely written.. i was looking for the update on this docking tech.. thnx again..
I also agree ISRO should handover the launching to the Godrej .. apart from building ISRO engines Godrej also build parts(body) of Brahmos,they have the expertise .. yes role of Antrix should be enlarged ..

but we also need a good honest team to watch over them,in order to avoid any corruption..

we can also opt for america ULA concept United launch alliance)where multiple companies like boeing , lockheed etc buld parts of rocket assigned to them and finally whole rocket is assembled. but there is a drawback , if any 1 of the company fails to meet the timeline whole launch can get delayed..and also raises the cost of the rocket.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
GSAT-18 successfully launched by Ariane-5 VA-231 from Kourou, French Guiana

India's latest communication satellite, GSAT-18 was inducted into the INSAT/GSAT system on October 06, 2016 from Kourou, French Guiana by Ariane-5 VA-231. Weighing 3404 kg at lift- off, GSAT-18 carries 48 communication transponders to provide Services in Normal C- band, Upper Extended C-band and Ku-bands of the frequency spectrum. GSAT-18 carries Ku- band beacon as well to help in accurately pointing ground antennas towards the satellite. GSAT-18 is designed to provide continuity of services on operational satellites in C-band, Extended C-band and Ku-bands. GSAT-18 was launched into a Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) by Ariane-5 VA-231 launch vehicle. After its injection into GTO, ISRO's Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan took control of GSAT-18 and performed the initial orbit raising maneuvers using the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) of the satellite, placing it in circular Geostationary Orbit. The designed in-orbit operational life of GSAT-18 is about 15 years.

GSAT-18 successfully launched by Ariane-5 VA-231 from Kourou, French Guiana

Akask kumar

It take off at about +7 seconds .
Strange !!
Our ISRO vehicles lift off correctly at 0 seconds .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
yea,, what i noticed they initiated sparking at 0 sec so the lift-off happened after 0 sec.. in case of ISRO rockets sparking NAARMALY happens at around - 5 sec.,thus lift off around 0 sec..

their rocket is more complex than ours and heavier too , so i guess they have to do more checking ..

their launchpad looks clean and more advanced than ours. i loved the robotic arm (sort of) at the top..

ISRO needs to improve the presentation screen for the general viewers like the french.. ISRO put all the scientific stats and graph on the screen just after the launch,which normal viewers cant understand

almost all western ,european countries have beautiful presentation with rocket simulation in space.. this lures in the viewers.. we also can do it , we have so many IT companies to design it..

plus they put India's logo on the rocket.. its nice.. @Indx TechStyle i dont think we do this with our launches.. if done we can easily identify the passengers sat just by looking at the video..

Akask kumar

some info abt Ariane -5 rocket.

stage - 2
plus it uses 2 side solid boosters ..

first stage --- big cryogenic tank powered by big cryogenic engine using LOX,LH2.fuel
second stage-- liquid engine ,liquid fuel..

its the opposite of GSLV MK3..

Chinmoy

Country flag
yea,, what i noticed they initiated sparking at 0 sec so the lift-off happened after 0 sec.. in case of ISRO rockets sparking NAARMALY happens at around - 5 sec.,thus lift off around 0 sec..

their rocket is more complex than ours and heavier too , so i guess they have to do more checking ..

their launchpad looks clean and more advanced than ours. i loved the robotic arm (sort of) at the top..

ISRO needs to improve the presentation screen for the general viewers like the french.. ISRO put all the scientific stats and graph on the screen just after the launch,which normal viewers cant understand

almost all western ,european countries have beautiful presentation with rocket simulation in space.. this lures in the viewers.. we also can do it , we have so many IT companies to design it..

plus they put India's logo on the rocket.. its nice.. @Indx TechStyle i dont think we do this with our launches.. if done we can easily identify the passengers sat just by looking at the video..
Got any video link of the launch? Kindly post if you do have.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
ISRO to launch satellite made by varsity
ISRO THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: NI USAT, the first private satellite built to issue warnings on natural disasters and developed by the Noorul Islam University (NIU) with the support of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will be handed over to the ISRO centre here on Saturday . The satellite will form part of the pay load for the upcoming PSLVC36 launch in November.
NIU pro-chancellor Faisal Khan said the 2004 tsunami toll promted him to think about the project. When he raised the issue that a satellite could have helped local officials reduce the scale of the tragedy , they quipped he could purchase one. He then approached the ISRO scientists who helped him realise his dream project of developing a satellite. Subsequently , NIU set up the department of space research in 2012 and emerged as the first private university in the country equipped with all facilities to build a nanosatellite. The satellite was made by a 150-member team led by distinguished space scientists including Dr A E Muthunayagam and Dr M Krishnaswami and other faculty members and students, he said.
"We have received a confirmation from the ISRO headquarters in Bangalore that NIUSAT will be carried by the next PSLV launch slated in November," he said.
Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) director K Sivan has already confirmed the launch of NIUSAT as part of the PSLV-C36 mission.
The satellite can be used for disaster alert, weather monitoring as well as for research support.
RELATED STORIES

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
PEC to collaborate with SAC for ISRO project
Chandigarh: PEC University of Technology will working with institutions to collect data for the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) programme of ISRO, named as NAVIC (acronym for NAVigation using Indian Constellation) introduced by PM Modi.
PEC has collaborated with Space Applications Centre (SAC) Ahmedabad to work on the navigation system. IRNSS by ISRO is an attempt to develop India's own navigation system so that India is no longer dependent on the Global Positioning System (GPS) by USA.
The college will receive four receivers soon which will be used in research and teaching methods. Besides this, the college will work on small projects and the performance of these will be examined for a year.
ISRO has identified various institutions which will be given IRNSS receivers. We are going to use these receivers in research and teaching mode. The performance will be seen for a year and if the accuracy comes out to be at par with the current GPS system of America then we will shift to the system," said PEC director Manoj Arora. The college, however, is yet to get the receivers.
PEC has signed a memorandum of understanding with SAC, which has additionally roped in various other technical institutes from the country for the IRNSS data collection exercise using SAC-developed IRNSS ground receiver.
IRNSS, an independent regional navigation satellite system being developed by India, will provide Standard Positioning Service (SPS) to all the users and restricted service (RS), which is an encrypted service provided only to the authorized users. Besides India, IRNSS will facilitate accurate position information service to users in the region extending up to 1,500 km from its boundary, which is its primary service area. Moreover, having indigenous navigations system will facilitate research and development and the commercial use for navigation-based applications.
Application of IRNSS

Terrestrial, Aerial and Marine Navigation

Disaster Management

Vehicle tracking and fleet management

Integration with mobile phones

Precise Timing

Mapping and Geodetic data capture

Terrestrial navigation aid for hikers and travellers

Visual and voice navigation for drivers

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
For next Ariane Launch in Indian Service.
GSAT-17 is a communication satellite configured around I-3K extended bus with a lift off mass of 3425 kg and 6 KW power generation capacity. The satellite's commercial transponders include Ku-band, Normal C-band and Extended C-band transponders. The satellite also carries CxS and SxC transponders as well as DRT and SAR transponders.
The satellite is scheduled to be launched during Fourth Quarter of 2016 onboard Ariane-5 Launch Vehicle

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles