Israel-Palestine Conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Palestine - news and discussions

Netanyahu Agrees to Palestinian State in Move Welcomed by U.S.

By Tal Barak Harif and Gwen Ackerman

June 14 (Bloomberg) -- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for the first time agreed to a Palestinian state, as long as it is demilitarized and accepts Israel as a Jewish homeland. The U.S. called the statement an “important step forward.”

Nabil Abu Rudeina, a spokesman for Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, rejected Netanyahu’s conditional acceptance of statehood, saying it would “not lead to a just and comprehensive peace.”

“If the Palestinians recognize Israel as a Jewish state, we will be ready for a real peace agreement leading to a demilitarized Palestinian state side-by-side with a Jewish state,” Netanyahu said at Bar Ilan University outside Tel Aviv.

Netanyahu’s address came 10 days after President Barack Obama, in an address to the Muslim world, said the creation of a Palestinian state was the “only resolution” for the Arab- Israeli conflict and that Israel must stop all settlement construction.

“This is a formulation in wording that will probably enable him to walk that narrow wire between the expectations of the U.S., which wanted him to support a Palestinian state, and his party and coalition members that are against it,” said Jonathan Spyer, a political scientist at the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center.

Obama “welcomes the important step forward in Prime Minister Netanyahu’s speech,” White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said in an e-mailed statement. “The president is committed to two states, a Jewish state of Israel and an independent Palestine, in the historic homeland of both peoples.”

Settlement Construction

Netanyahu said that while no new settlements would be built, Jewish settlers had the right to a “normal life.” He has said he will not stop construction necessary for the natural population growth of existing settlements.

Saeb Erakat, a senior Palestinian negotiator, said Netanyahu’s remarks were “deceptive.”

Erakat said the speech fell short “in every single one of the benchmarks required of Israel in line with international law and existing agreements.”

Netanyahu’s address comes a day after Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won a second presidential term, an electoral victory that Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said increased the need for the international community to block Iran’s nuclear program and its support of terror groups.

Nuclear Weapons

“The biggest threat to Israel in the Middle East and to all of humanity is the meeting between extremist Islam and nuclear weapons,” Netanyahu said.

Beyond making his first direct, though conditional, endorsement of a Palestinian state, Netanyahu appeared to stick to former positions on peace talks while endorsing Obama’s vision of a regional agreement.

Zalman Shoval, an adviser to Netanyahu, said it was the first time the prime minister made such a comment “either directly or indirectly” on a Palestinian state.

The fate of east Jerusalem, which the Palestinians seek as the capital of their state and over which Israel has imposed its rule in a move never internationally recognized, was not up for negotiation, Netanyahu said.

The plight of Palestinian refugees, who fled their homes in the 1948 and 1967 Middle East wars, will not be resolved inside Israel’s borders, he added.

And the demilitarization of the Palestinian state Netanyahu envisions as part of a final peace settlement must be guaranteed by the international community.

“To achieve peace we must ensure that Palestinians can’t bring in rockets and missiles, control air space or forge alliances with Iran or Hezbollah,” Netanyahu said.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
I doubt they are going to get anywhere with such harsh conditions. Anyone remembers Versailles ?

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
It is not in Israel's interest to give away the strategic West Bank region... so of course they want to be seen as compromising but would not really want to give away their strategic positions... so, in this way they look like they're compromising vis-a-vis America and can keep the Americans happy, but at the same time the ground reality doesn't change much which is in Israel's interests...

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Page last updated at 14:58 GMT, Monday, 15 June 2009 15:58 UK

Israeli PM 'ruins' peace chance

Hosni Mubarak held talks with Benjamin Netanyahu in May

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak says an Israeli demand that Palestinians accept Israel as a Jewish state ruins the chances for a peace deal.

The demand was one of the conditions set by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu as he backed the creation of a Palestinian state for the first time.

He also asked that a Palestinian state be demilitarised. Palestinians have rejected the conditions.

The US has called Mr Netenyahu's stance an "important step forward".

The EU said Mr Netanyahu's comments were a step in the right direction, but not enough to raise relations with Israel to a higher level.

Egypt was the first Arab state to recognise Israel and a key mediator in Middle East peace negotiations.

The vision which the Israeli prime minister presented... is flawed and lacks many elements

Egyptian foreign ministry

Mr Mubarak said on Monday that he had told Mr Netanyahu that peace talks should be resumed.

"I have also told him loud and clear that the call for recognising Israel as a Jewish state would complicate matters and abort the chances of peace," the state-run Mena news agency quoted Mr Mubarak as telling military officials.

"I even warned him that this particular call would not be met by a favourable response from Egypt or beyond."

The Egyptian foreign ministry said it would continue to support US and international peace efforts, but that "the vision which the Israeli prime minister presented... is flawed and lacks many elements."

Mr Mubarak was responding to Mr Netanyahu's speech on Sunday in which he endorsed a Palestinian state for the first time.

Israeli Arabs' fears

In the speech, weeks after US President Barack Obama urged him to agree a two-state plan, Mr Netanyahu said the Palestinians must accept Israel as a Jewish state.

He said a Palestinian state must have no army, no control of its air space and no way of smuggling in weapons.

A Palestinian official has said the Israeli prime minister's conditions for a two-state solution "paralysed" the peace process, while a Hamas spokesman in Gaza called on Arab nations to "form stronger opposition" towards Israel.

BBC Arab Affairs analyst Magdi Abdelhadi says Palestinians suspect that Mr Netanyahu has moved the goal posts.

Recognising the Jewish nature of the Israel state would in effect mean that they will have to forgo one of their key demands: a negotiated settlement for the problem of the Palestinian refugees - those who either fled or were forced to leave their homes when Israel was established in 1948.

He adds that Israel regards the return of refugees as tantamount to the destruction of Israel as a state with a Jewish majority.

But the issue of the Jewish nature of Israel is arguably far more objectionable to the Palestinians who live inside Israel, otherwise knows as Israeli Arabs, he says.

They are opposed to defining Israel as a Jewish state, because they fear that, in their eyes, such a move would make them into second class citizens not only de facto but also de jure.

In Israel, Mr Netanyahu's words have drawn criticism from the left for not going far enough and from his own right-wing coalition for going too far.

A White House statement said Mr Obama believes a solution "can and must ensure both Israel's security and the fulfilment of the Palestinians' legitimate aspirations for a viable state, and he welcomes Prime Minister Netanyahu's endorsement of that goal".

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Israeli PM 'ruins' peace chance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Blair: Don’t rule out right of return

Quartet's Mideast envoy tells Sky News return of Palestinian refugees to Israel should be resolved through negotiation, calls on Jerusalem to lift Gaza blockade

Ynet Published: 06.16.09, 09:21 / Israel News

The return of Palestinian refugees to Israel should not be ruled out as a subject for negotiation, Tony Blair said in response to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's recent policy speech.

In his speech at Bar-Ilan University on Sunday, Netanyahu endorsed the concept of a demilitarized Palestinian state for the first time, but he attached new strict conditions, including a demand that the Palestinians recognise Israel as a Jewish state before negotiations even begin.

In an interview with Sky News, published Monday, the Quartet's envoy to the Middle East said "I never know what people mean by this. If people mean this is a way of having the debate about the right of return of refugees then I think that's best done in the negotiation."

Blair, who is visiting Gaza, also told Sky News that Israel's blockade on the Hamas-ruled territory has to be replaced by something new.

"Unless there's a real change on the ground, where people are being offered some prospect of hope and the chance to lead a different life - then the politics, two-state solution or not, is not going to work," he was quoted by the British news network as saying.

Last month Blair said there was no workable alternative to a two-state solution.

"The opportunity is there," Blair said at the time, "but it won't remain if not seized. As President (Barack) Obama has recognized, this is the right time to seize it."

The Mideast envoy said the best way to go is to try to make it clear to the Palestinians that negotiations will result in genuine statehood and to the Israelis that there can be "an agreed program for reform of the Palestinian security sector."

Blair: Don?t rule out right of return - Israel News, Ynetnews

peacecracker

Being soft to the Enemies around will not do good for Israel.Palestine will be a cancer for Israel and Eastern Europe if they approve freedom.the militant wahaabi terrorism will enter through palestine infiltrating to other countries bombing,terrorizing -what they are worth of.
I hope Israel won't do such a wrong decision.the Occupents of Current So called Palestine are Nomads from Syria.They won't be satisfied with Palestine alone.they want Arab World where Israel has to be wiped off from the Map -which is their real thought.

EDIT:

http://www.masada2000.org/been-had.html

Were the Palestinians a nomadic people ? - Yahoo! Answers

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Being soft to the Enemies around will not do good for Israel.Palestine will be a cancer for Israel and Eastern Europe if they approve freedom.the militant wahaabi terrorism will enter through palestine infiltrating to other countries bombing,terrorizing -what they are worth of.
I hope Israel won't do such a wrong decision.the Occupents of Current So called Palestine are Nomads from Syria.They won't be satisfied with Palestine alone.they want Arab World where Israel has to be wiped off from the Map -which is their real thought.

EDIT:

You're all been had... there are no "Palestinian People!

Israel cant occupy forever by having excuses .. If Israel is so much worried then it should accept one state with equal rights for all and it was Israel who wants the solution to this conflict on the basis of 2 states .

Arab world is ready to accept State of Israel on 1967 borders which means 78% of British Mandate of Palestine and want to establish an Independent Palestine state on the remaining 22% .

Present day Palestinians are mixture of many nations Israelites,Greeks,Armenians,Romans,Arabs,Europeans ..

PS .. Masada is right winged Zionists website and if u have anything to contribute and debate from urs side , u are most welcome .

peacecracker

NO.I have no link with so called Zionists.but I believe Arab Nomads are the One who is currently residing in the so called Palestine ,where No Arabs were living earlier.

EnlightenedMonk

NO.I have no link with so called Zionists.but I believe Arab Nomads are the One who is currently residing in the so called Palestine ,where No Arabs were living earlier.
Arab Nomads ??? Could you please elaborate ???

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag

EDIT:

You're all been had... there are no "Palestinian People!

You call those conditions soft ?

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
U need to do some research on this matter .. there were already many Christian Arab kingdoms in middle east before the rise of Islam, Kingdoms like the Gassanids and the Muntherites were Christian kingdoms (from the third century to the eight century) modeled after the Roman and the Byzantine Empires,They had a common language, the Arabic language.Ghassinad Kingdom capital was in Golan heights , Palestine,Arabian petra parts of present day Syria,lebanon and Jordan were inside that kindgom . and before them were the Nabeateans who were having thier kingdom on the present day Palestine,Arabian petra. Google King Herod .. U might understand more about Arab tribes .

peacecracker

Hey ,I am not a Arab history researcher.but let me tell :
Arab History is not so rosy so to portray.They are invaders or infiltrators in countries outside arab region.count sudan,palestine too.In sudan ,there is a alleged ethnic cleansing of sudanese moslems by arab swashbucklers.I won't put more website links ,since some feels they are biased?
USAfricaonline HUMAN RIGHTS INSIGHT

although not related ,
Many Arabs in Modern GCC countries live in the rural areas following their ancient ways by choice.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Hey ,I am not a Arab history researcher.but let me tell :
Arab History is not so rosy so to portray.They are invaders or infiltrators in countries outside arab region.count sudan,palestine too.In sudan ,there is a alleged ethnic cleansing of sudanese moslems by arab swashbucklers.I won't put more website links ,since some feels they are biased?
USAfricaonline HUMAN RIGHTS INSIGHT

although not related ,
Many Arabs in Modern GCC countries live in the rural areas following their ancient ways by choice.
Here the topic is Palestine .. If u want to debate about the whole arabs , for sure open a new thread , i will do my best to put my point . Arabs doesnt means Muslims only ..

peacecracker

EnlightenedMonk said:
^I was answering to @EnlightenedMonk as well.so it went slightly OT.what I wanted to tell was ,the Current Inhabitants of Palestine are really Arabs who came to palestine as nomads.These Arabs today asking Palestine as their land ,if accepted as a seperate country may not stop there.How It is related is ,Arabs are promoting war on Israel.Palestine Terrorists are trying to capture the whole Israel ,later to invade towards west.I will stop here now.as the exact point of answering this requires to open show the nature of some religion which may not be suitable to be discussed here.

thanks .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
^I was answering to @EnlightenedMonk as well.so it went slightly OT.what I wanted to tell was ,the Current Inhabitants of Palestine are really Arabs.These Arabs today asking Palestine as their land ,if accepted as a seperate country may not stop there.How It is related is ,Arabs are promoting war on Israel.Palestine Terrorists are trying to capture the whole Israel ,later to invade towards west.
Arab is a lingustic term and here Palestinians is a geographical term . Palestinains Muslims and Christians alike wants Independence .
Arabs are not promoting war but are ready to accept the Soverginity of State of Israel on the 78% of British Palestine and wants Palestinians to have thier own Independent country on the remaining 22% . Here Israel doesnt want to give them Independence and always start excuses .
So u think Terrorists can capture Israel and then turned towards West ? the fact is more opposite Israel is grabbing more land and constructing that wall beyond the green line and expanding settlements on the land on which Palestinians wants to established their country . do know how was George Habash ? Do you know who is Hannah Asrawi ? Do u know who is Azim Bashara ? These all are Arab Christian Palestinians . U really need some more information about this conflict .

peacecracker

thanks I-G ,I am learning.
wait ,I forget to tell Most Arabs ,hell even Pakistani's I believe are Anti-Semitic,Anti-Hindu due to Indoctrination of HATE.Look for a fellow called "zaid hamid"(I hope here in this forum it is covered).
I thought Christians in Middle East are always under persecution.

But I just googled and found something;don't say it is wrong news! :D :
Palestine’s Christians Continue to Suffer Persecution

According to my estimate, if current trends continue, only the relics and holy sites will be left in another 15 years. The Christian community in Bethlehem will cease to exist.

I feel the other POV expressed here is biased which justifies the terrorists of Palestine.HAMAS included.

India and Israel share the same menace called Terrorism which has to be sorted out and eliminated from this planet.I Hope India can for sure learn many things from israel in counter terrorism operations.Israel is minding their own business!Yeah ,even if others claim Israel "encroached" palestine piece of land(to prevent the terrorists to achieve what they are trying with saud petrodollers support).

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
thanks I-G ,I am learning.
I thought Christians in Middle East are always under persecution.

But I just googled and found something;don't say it is wrong news! :D :

I feel the other POV expressed here is biased which justifies the terrorists of Palestine.HAMAS included.
Its not true that Christians in Middle East are always persecuted ..there are some incidents which normally occurred in every country .. In Ethopia which is a Christian country , Muslims have been killed .. In Nigeria Christian parts ,Muslims have been murdered , In Phillipines Muslims get killed even in East Timor, In Sri Lanka , it was opposite ,Sinhalese were killing Tamilians .. Even in ours country during riots such thing occurs which doesnt means that Hindus are killing Muslims and Christians .See in North East Christian NLFT terrorists are killing Hindus U need to be more open minded and stop seeing things in one way .

The problem in Palestine is occupation and this conflicts goes back to 1918 which was started by British .

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Carter 'distressed' by Gaza visit

Page last updated at 11:19 GMT, Tuesday, 16 June 2009 12:19 UK

Carter 'distressed' by Gaza visit

Former US President Jimmy Carter has said he had to "hold back tears" while viewing destruction on a visit to Gaza.

He is due to meet leaders from Hamas, which controls Gaza but is considered a terrorist group by western countries.

The veteran politician is expected to hand over a letter for captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit from his family.

He condemned "deliberate" destruction in Israel's January offensive, but also expressed sadness over Palestinian rocket attacks on Israeli towns.

The former US president, who brokered the 1979 Israel-Egypt peace deal, has long advocated engagement with the militant Hamas movement as crucial for progress on peace.

The BBC's Aleem Maqbool in Gaza says he is one of the highest profile figures to visit Gaza for years.

While Mr Carter is not visiting in an official capacity, many in Gaza hope he has the ear of US President Barack Obama, our correspondent says.

Visiting the American School in Gaza, damaged in Israel's three-week operation, Mr Carter said "it's very distressing to me".

He said the school had been "deliberately destroyed by bombs from F-16s made in my country and delivered to the Israelis".

"It's not good to see this destruction, but it's also not good, when I go to Sderot, to see rockets falling on Israelis," he said, in reference to an Israeli town that is a frequent target of rocket fire from Palestinian militants.

"The only way to avoid this tragedy happening again is to have genuine peace agreed between the Palestinians and Israel," he said.

'New obstacles'

Hamas did not confirm whether it would pass the letter on to Gilad Shalit, who has been held captive since 2006.

A Hamas spokesman said 11,000 letters would have to be sent in return, referring to the number of Palestinian prisoners he believed were being held in Israeli detention.

Mr Carter was due to meet former Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Ismail Haniya of Hamas.

He has met the movement's leader in Damascus, Khaled Meshaal, several times previously.

Visiting Israel earlier this week, Mr Carter said a major policy speech given by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu "raised many new obstacles to peace".

While Mr Netanyahu yielded to US pressure to back the creation of a Palestinian state, he set the conditions that it must be demilitarised and recognise Israel as a Jewish state

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Carter 'distressed' by Gaza visit

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
The point is, that will the peace deal work ? Or would it prove to be a further humiliation ?
Such a restricted environment, can prove to be very dangerous later on.

After the first World War, Germany was put under severe restrictions under the Treaty of Versailles. Result ? It was these very restrictions that Hitler capitalized on in his rise to power.
It wouldn't be hard for an extremist party to radicalize the Palestinian youth against the West, and create private armies, defying Israel's conditions.

EnlightenedMonk

The point is, that will the peace deal work ? Or would it prove to be a further humiliation ?
Such a restricted environment, can prove to be very dangerous later on.

After the first World War, Germany was put under severe restrictions under the Treaty of Versailles. Result ? It was these very restrictions that Hitler capitalized on in his rise to power.
It wouldn't be hard for an extremist party to radicalize the Palestinian youth against the West, and create private armies, defying Israel's conditions.
Isn't that exactly what the Hamas is doing already??? Why would these conditions change the ground situation of what Israel is facing???

Palestinians have resorted to terror in the past, are currently doing so and will indefinitely continue it whether or not a separate state is offered to them...

Just the fact that somebody like Hamas even refuses to accept the right of existence of Israel should say things clearly to everybody...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles