Islamic Republic of West Bengal - No Secular Media to report

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Cleric?s ?fatwa? cancels women?s football match

MALDA: Organizers had to cancel a women's football match and national-level players who had come from various places across the country had to return as fundamentalists allegedly issued a fatwa to stop a women's football match at Harishchandrapur here on Saturday.

The block administration, which had earlier given permission for the football match, is now giving the excuse of law and order issues to cancel the event.

Progressive Youth Club of Chandipur village in Harishchandrapur police station area had organized the football match as a part of their golden jubilee celebrations. Club president Reja Razi said, "The women's football match was to be played between Kolkata-XI and North Bengal-XI. National-level players such as Krishna Das, Sujata Kar, Arjuna-awardee Santi Mallik, Fifa referee Anamika Sen, captain of national handball team Anita Roy and many others were supposed to be present on the occasion. There was great enthusiasm about the event among local people."

"But last week, some moulavis (Muslim clerics) raised their objection to the women's football match. We had approached the block administration and the sub-divisional officer for help. On March 11, a meeting was also held in the presence of BDO between us and the fundamentalists who were against the match. The next day, many more clerics said a women's match would be against Islam. They also threatened to make a stronger agitation if the match was held. The BDO then ordered to stop the match."

BDO Biplab Roy conceded, "We had to cancel the football match because of a possible deterioration in law and order situation."

Locals were upset with the cancellation of the event. Villager Pijuskanti Das said, "Are we going backward? When the govt is inspiring women to come forward, such a dictum is disappointing."

Local Imam Maqsud Alam, however, claimed that they did not issue any fatwa against the match. "When some people sought my opinion, I just said Islam does not permit us to watch women playing in the field wearing short dresses."

Cleric?s ?fatwa? cancels women?s football match - The Times of India

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

MALDA: Organizers had to cancel a women's football match and national-level players who had come from various places across the country had to return as fundamentalists allegedly issued a fatwa to stop a women's football match at Harishchandrapur here on Saturday.

The block administration, which had earlier given permission for the football match, is now giving the excuse of law and order issues to cancel the event.

Progressive Youth Club of Chandipur village in Harishchandrapur police station area had organized the football match as a part of their golden jubilee celebrations. Club president Reja Razi said, "The women's football match was to be played between Kolkata-XI and North Bengal-XI. National-level players such as Krishna Das, Sujata Kar, Arjuna-awardee Santi Mallik, Fifa referee Anamika Sen, captain of national handball team Anita Roy and many others were supposed to be present on the occasion. There was great enthusiasm about the event among local people."

"But last week, some moulavis (Muslim clerics) raised their objection to the women's football match. We had approached the block administration and the sub-divisional officer for help. On March 11, a meeting was also held in the presence of BDO between us and the fundamentalists who were against the match. The next day, many more clerics said a women's match would be against Islam. They also threatened to make a stronger agitation if the match was held. The BDO then ordered to stop the match."

BDO Biplab Roy conceded, "We had to cancel the football match because of a possible deterioration in law and order situation."

Locals were upset with the cancellation of the event. Villager Pijuskanti Das said, "Are we going backward? When the govt is inspiring women to come forward, such a dictum is disappointing."

Local Imam Maqsud Alam, however, claimed that they did not issue any fatwa against the match. "When some people sought my opinion, I just said Islam does not permit us to watch women playing in the field wearing short dresses."

You quote the Times of India and say no secular media report :rotflmao:

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Good point though... but what "secular media report" refers to, based on my experience with Twitter and SM, is prolonged mainstream media attention and outrage. Similar to the way the case of Shiv Sena goonda shoving rotis down the throat of some Muslim railway employee was covered. Similar to the way non-existent "Church attacks" were covered. Similar to the way the outrage-generator Arnab covers every inconsequential statement by every 2-bit RSS/VHP leader. Mother Teresa outrage went on for days - when you actually see Mohan Bhagwat's statement, there was really nothing to outrage so badly about.

So while you do have a point, so does the OP.

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Secular media is a notion as "crying foul" and no i don't see this news getting into mainstream media and it will die before tomorrow run will rise. Instead of debating the issue you mock the source. anyway which will be hard for you due to your belief i suppose.

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Good point though... but what "secular media report" refers to, based on my experience with Twitter and SM, is prolonged mainstream media attention and outrage. Similar to the way the case of Shiv Sena goonda shoving rotis down the throat of some Muslim railway employee was covered. Similar to the way non-existent "Church attacks" were covered. Similar to the way the outrage-generator Arnab covers every inconsequential statement by every 2-bit RSS/VHP leader. Mother Teresa outrage went on for days - when you actually see Mohan Bhagwat's statement, there was really nothing to outrage so badly about.

So while you do have a point, so does the OP.
He did it intentionally so he can bypass the original issue ,typical secularist.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Secular media is a notion as "crying foul" and no i don't see this news getting into mainstream media and it will die before tomorrow run will rise. Instead of debating the issue you mock the source. anyway which will be hard for you due to your belief i suppose.
But one thing though - better not to rake up "belief" of everyone with a Muslim name. @Yusuf is a hardcore nationalist, and a patriot to the core. He is a long-time DFI admin, one of the co-founders of this forum.

We might disagree with Yusuf in cases, but bringing his belief into it isn't good form - there are a lot of Hindus too who share the same views as him btw, but it is convenient to bring up his religion in an argument, something which cannot be done in case of Hindus whose POV you oppose. Lets avoid that at least with people whom we know well, and who share our passion for nationalism, and a strong & prosperous India.

Last edited by a moderator:

sorcerer

Country flag
Dont want to start another thread on WB

Top Criminal Molla Masud Held in India
West Bengal have police arrested most wanted Bangladeshi criminal Molla Masud.

Members of Criminal Investigation Department (CID), West Bengal Police arrested Masud on February 18 as per Foreigners' Act, said sources of Bangladesh Police and Bangladesh mission in New Delhi in the evening.

AKM Kamrul Ahsan, public relations officer of the Police Headquarters said that Bangladesh government has already taken steps to bring back Masud, who is wanted for various crimes in Bangladesh.

Interpol issued red alert against top terrorist Molla Masud who was reportedly controlling the underworld from home and abroad.

Masud is accused in many cases for killing, extortion and abduction in Dhaka.

His name featured in the 23 most wanted Bangladeshi criminals' list that was handed over to the Indian home department officials in 2008.

Read more: http://hindi.sputniknews.com/south_asia/20150315/1013771806.html#ixzz3UT4tWNjR

Samar Rathi

Country flag
But one thing though - better not to rake up "belief" of everyone with a Muslim name. @Yusuf is a hardcore nationalist, and a patriot to the core. He is a long-time DFI admin, one of the co-founders of this forum.

We might disagree with Yusuf in cases, but bringing his belief into it isn't good form - there are a lot of Hindus too who share the same views as him btw, but it is convenient to bring up his religion in an argument, something which cannot be done in case of Hindus whose POV you oppose. Lets avoid that at least with people whom we know well, and who share our passion for nationalism, and a strong & prosperous India.
I didn't point at his religion as belief but his opinion as belief and being senior guy i expect mature response from a fellow rather than teenager sarcasm.

However if someone feeling being hurt than i apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Religion of Peace spreading Peace everywhere. :namaste: :namaste:

warrior monk

Education is important for our Muslims , West Bengal should give proper education i.e secular education to muslims not the madrassa variety , most importantly women education among Muslim community is important then only the Muslims will be properly integrated. All Bangladeshis must be thrown out pronto.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles