Islamabad — a city only for the rich?

Blackwater

Islamabad: "If you have forty or fifty million rupees, you can get a good house in the best sectors in Islamabad, F6, F7 and F8. But only a few would have that kind of money," says Zahid Khan, a senior staff member in one of the best printing presses in the city.

"I have a good job and I have done quite well financially," he says. "But I cannot even dream of living in Islamabad. Therefore, six years ago, I bought a plot in Bahria Town, Phase 8, in Rawalpindi. But it is a bit far from my workplace in Islamabad."

"The plot cost me a million rupees. Now, I could sell it for four million. The land is about two hundred square yards, and I am building a good three-bedroom, two-story house on it. True, it is a little palace, costing some six million rupees to complete. My mother-in-law will live there," Zahid says.

"I and my family will build another house in Bara Kahu for ourselves, where I have bought a five hundred square yards plot for three million rupees. That area is good, with plots for people of varying incomes," says Zahid Khan.

Another printer, M. Asim, bought a good plot of 250 square yards in Islamabad's E11 sector, for six and half million rupees, three years ago, where he is building a two-story family house along with his brother.

"We have estimated that the cost will be close to eight million rupees, and we don't have that kind money in the savings. If we go bust, we can always, but sadly, sell the plot and the semi-finished house, which is now worth around twenty million rupees," he adds.

In one of the prime areas of the F7 sector in Islamabad, a contractor is building three top-class houses for sale. Each house has three independent units on the three different floors. One or two of the floors can be rented out and the internal stairs can be blocked off. The standard is high with spacious rooms and high quality finishing.

But how much does this kind of luxury cost?

"We paid only twenty-five million for each plot several years ago, and the cost of building each house is above twenty-five million," says M. Qasim, one of the two owners of building company.

"Today, we believe, the houses will be sold for much over a hundred million each, and the largest one will sell for about a hundred and fifty million," says Qasim.

"Unfortunately, such houses are only for the rich," says Muzaffar Mumtaz a foreign trained lawyer and a businessman who has recently returned from Norway.

"I rented a large portion in a new house in the E11 sector for fifty thousand per month, but gave it up because the sector is still under development and therefore very dusty and not suitable for families with children. My house was spacious, but there were often problems with water and many other things," he says.

"I looked for other houses and portions of houses in good, middle-class areas in Islamabad. But eventually, I gave up," Muzaffar says he then decided to move to his hometown, Sialkot, at least for some time.

"Islamabad is a great city", Muzaffar says. "But I wonder why it is so expensive, almost as expensive as the Norwegian capital of Oslo."

"I believe the politicians and the Capital Development Authority (CDA) should take a serious look at what it is that drives the prices so high in Islamabad. They should introduce regulations and honest control mechanisms to avoid Islamabad becoming a deeply class-divided capital, a city where only the rich can live," says Muzaffar Mumtaz.

Islamabad — a city only for the rich? - DAWN.COM

Islamabad — a city only for the rich? - DAWN.COM

Blackwater

"If you have forty or fifty million rupees, you can get a good house in the best sectors in Islamabad, F6, F7 and F8.

50lakh PKR=25 lakh INR

25 lakh me chandigarh me flat nahi ata forget delhi or bombay,

what cheap city islamabad:lol::lol::lol:

Blackwater

@ neo

Another printer, M. Asim, bought a good plot of 250 square yards in Islamabad's E11 sector, for six and half million rupees, three years ago, where he is building a two-story family house along with his brother.

10 marla plot cost 65 lakh pkr in city like Islamabad where as in Chandigarh the 10 marla plot cost 2 to 3 crore inr that is 6 crore pkr.

the paki capital is a cheap place to live in:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Neo

"If you have forty or fifty million rupees, you can get a good house in the best sectors in Islamabad, F6, F7 and F8.

50lakh PKR=25 lakh INR

Where did you go to school? :rofl: :wave: :rofl:

Neo

50lakh PKR=25 lakh INR

1 PKR = 0.622 INR

50.000.000 x 0.622 = 25 lacks??? :rofl:

Maybe you should apply for a job at ISRO! :rofl:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

50lakh PKR=25 lakh INR

:facepalm: One million = Ten lakh

Neo

@ neo

10 marla plot cost 65 lakh pkr in city like Islamabad where as in Chandigarh the 10 marla plot cost 2 to 3 crore inr that is 6 crore pkr.

the paki capital is a cheap place to live in:laugh::laugh::laugh:
You are a genius! :lol: :wave: :rofl:

praneet.bajpaie

1 PKR = 0.622 INR

50.000.000 x 0.622 = 25 lacks??? :rofl:

Maybe you should apply for a job at ISRO! :rofl:
At least ISRO is much better than your Space Agency? Wait a sec, does Pakiland have a Spacce Agency? Think not.

Go home son.

praneet.bajpaie

Stick to the topic grand pa!
I am on topic, Kid. Well if you don't have a cogent (yes.. see a dictionary) argument, then shut your gob, son.

but tell me Neo, does Pakiland have a space program? Here in India as well as most space faring nations, university students design and build satellites. In Pakistan, no one does I presume??

Last edited:

Blackwater

:facepalm: One million = Ten lakh
my typing fault still the fact remain same, 4 to 5 crore pkr for 10 marla plot in islamabad, here in chandigarh its 3 crore for 10 marla plot, that is 5 crore pkr.

islamabad remain cheapest as comare to delhi and bombay

praneet.bajpaie

my typing fault still the fact remain same, 4 to 5 crore pkr for 10 marla plot in islamabad, here in chandigarh its 3 crore for 10 marla plot, that is 5 crore pkr.

yes you said 50 lakh PKR is 25 Lakh INR, it will be 50 Lakh PKR is 30 Lakh INR, but the fact remains in Chandigarh and other big cities in India, 30 lakh INR will get us a jhopri, In Islamabad, it might get them a palace, but who cares.

lol

Neo

I am on topic, Kid. Well if you don't have a cogent (yes.. see a dictionary) argument, then shut your gob, son.

but tell me Neo, does Pakiland have a space program? Here in India as well as most space faring nations, university students design and build satellites. In Pakistan, no one does I presume??
You want to discus Suparco and Pakistan space programme, start a thread.
Do not derail this topic.

Neo

In a universe where India is the center you could claim a trophy for this.
But we don't care what a palace or a jhonpri costs in Delhi or Chandigarh.

What matters is that Islamabad is a very clean, modern and a worldclass city with a population of more than a million. It's expensive due to its western standards and beauty.

Blackwater

What matters is that Islamabad is a very clean, modern and a worldclass city with a population of more than a million. It's expensive due to its western standards and beauty.
So is Chandigarh capital of Punjab

praneet.bajpaie

For a lot of Pakis, India is the centre of universe. How could you explain so many Pakis living here while no Indians want to go and live in Pakistan??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles