Is this the end of Shah Rukh ; And how long will the Salman era last ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i really hate SRK films.
Last film of his which i liked to watch was DDLJ.
Agree. DDLJ was the last good film he acted in. After that it was all same shytty Karan Johar style crap dancing in college campus, same old spreading of arms and antics.

His films are devoid of any reality.

johnee

True, stars come and go. It is quite a revelation to watch the yesteryear stars are completely ignored by the janta and media. It shows how momentary these stardoms are. Male stars have much longer shelf life than the female ones(who last for about 5 yrs avg. The exceptional ones may reign for a decade).

However, the stature of stardom itself has come down a lot these days compared to the earlier eras. I dont think SRK, or Amir or Sallu or anyone of the present stars of bollywood has enjoyed the frenzy and mass adulation that was enjoyed by the Superstars of previous era. TV, net, media,...etc has allowed the masses many more avenues of entertainment. It has also demystified these filmi personalities. There weaknesses and vulnerabilities are much more in the open. But the same explosion of TV and 24hr media has also allowed the bollywood(and other woods) to survive(and even make profits) despite making terrible movies. Stardom is instantly gained and instantly lost overnight based on the fate of one movie. So, stardom in essence has become flavour of the season. This trend in much more pronounced in the newer generation of heroes. Also, there is no infusion of new blood. It is all a one big family business. Sons and daughters(and nephews and neices) of stars make their debuts and keep making movies in the hope that some day they will be a hit. Of course, no new face is allowed to enter. So, its a monopoly and audience have little choice. The position of directors and story-writers is a little better.

Coming to SRK, one thing about him is that he is not related to any bollywood star. So, he made it on his own in the big bad bollywood. But of course, there are 'rumours' that he had the 'blessing's of 'Bhai'. Anyway, he was never in league with the super-stars of yesteryears in terms of stature(or even movie hits). He bursted on to the scene with unconventional role in Baazigar. But his greatest hits(that are worthy of a Superstar) were DDLJ, Dil to Pagal Hai and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. These were also the days when he truly had fans going crazy for him, specially the female species. However, even during these times he made many flops. A cursory glance at his filmography is quite a revelation.

Later, he used his past laurels to propel himself to Superstardom. His media management that involved lots of self-eulogy('Badshah') had created a perception of a Superstar, even though many of his movies did not perform as well as a Superstar's movies are expected to. Not only the box-office performance but the quality also seriously sucked. He managed to deliver some hits in between (like Kal Ho Na Ho) and many avg movies(which were 'hits' due to star power). This kept him on the throne. Partly, the reason was that he had no threatening competitor.

The problem for him in recent times has been that he is not getting any hit for a long time. All he needs is one hit(even an above avg movie), so that he and his fans can reclaim the throne by some deft media management. It is all perception anyway...

Just look at Salman who has delivered one real hit: Dabbang (which was quite an ordinary movie) and he is already being called the superstar! As I said, the stardom has become instant. Anyway, Salman was always the darling of masses(specially the muslim male audience). Ashdoc said that he like Salman for being 'secular' as opposed to the 'communal' SRK. Interestingly, the muslim male audience finds Salman more islamic than SRK. Also, the macho image of Sallu helps win their hearts.

However, I wouldnt place too many hopes on Salman being the 'next' superstar. Recall Akshay. He became the star with 'Singh is King' but quickly fell by the side.

To me, the only true star of the present lot is Amir. His movies have quality and novelty. The box-office performance has also been impressive of late.

As for the islamic-ness of the bollywood: I think bollywood has always had a lucknawi nawabi influence. The dialogue writers have penned urdu dialogues even when the characters were orthodox hindu. Infact, bollywood can take credit for popularising the urduised version of hindi. Many of the stars, directors, producers, story-writers, dialogue writers...etc have been muslims. What I mean to say is that the percentage of muslims in bollywood is much more than percentage of muslims in India. The their proportionate influence on bollywood outweighs their demographic presence in society. Of late, this is true of punjabi culture and punjabis as well. The particular influences can be better noticed in music.

Interestingly, it has given rise to a new phenomenon. The dipping image of muslims around the world has given rise to a reaction in bollywood. They have tried to restore the image of muslims through their movies. Some examples from the top of my head: Rockstar, My Name is Khan, New York, Tees Maar Khan, ...etc. The music has also become more and more islamised. Even kawwali is being repackaged and presented. Singers from Pakistan are being imported. Lyrics are laced heavily with urdu(almost persian) words.

The alternate trend has been to ape the hollywood blindly. Copying the content and style, without any attempt to make suitable changes for the indian audience. One example would be: We are family.

Anyway, I think bollywood has been in a long deterioration for a long time. It seems to have accelerated in the recent past. To be fair to bollywood, other film industries are not in any better position either.

I think the solution for bollywood lies in fresh talent(and I dont mean sons and daughters of bollywood personalities). And the movies motivated from local Indian culture, tradition, values and religion.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

When NTR was alive his feet were always in a state of injury reason? His fans used to break coconuts on his feet considering him god.No filmstar in Indian Cinema evoked the emotions in masses that MGR and NTR evoked Rajinikant comes somewhere near

johnee

When NTR was alive his feet were always in a state of injury reason? His fans used to break coconuts on his feet considering him god.No filmstar in Indian Cinema evoked the emotions in masses that MGR and NTR evoked Rajinikant comes somewhere near
NTR, MGR, ...etc were active in times when Cinema was the only form of entertainment. No TV, no 24 hr media, no net,...etc. People were mystified by these film personalities. Some(if not many) actually believed that the heroes performed all the heroics. Further, they enacted roles that were rooted in Indian culture, values and religion. So, people connected with them more easily as opposed to the roles being enacted by the present crop of stars. To add to it, they had long successful careers. So, many would be used to seeing these stars from their young days and go on to become their fans. Much like the case of Sachin in Cricket.

The movie stars have been exposed as just human due to the 24 hr media. Further, the modern audience have lot of other avenues of entertainment. The stars come on the small screen to sell tel(oil) and kangi(comb).

All of it has taken that sheen off the present day stars.

One also needs to remember that NTR and MGR died before their popularity completely waned. So, they have been immortalised in public memory. Otherwise, if they were still alive and obscure, then a more realistic assessment of these personalities would have ensued.

I think all the fangiri is over-emphasized and blown out of proportion.

Last edited:

mayfair

Agree. DDLJ was the last good film he acted in. After that it was all same shytty Karan Johar style crap dancing in college campus, same old spreading of arms and antics.

His films are devoid of any reality.
I believe his best performances till date are in Swades and Chak de..

You have aptly summed up much of the rest...

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
i think what is happening with salman is like what happened with akshay kumar a couple of years back, he did well and topped the charts for two odd years straight, and i think this is when srk started to take a beating and even average movie did well, but then he was doing too much of same stuff and now the season for that is over, similarly salman is doing too much of same stuff and i would assume, 2012 wont be the same for him as 2010-11.

anyways, of all the khans it is amir who really delivers, and for whom one can say paisa wasool.

Illusive

Country flag
For me Aamir is the best actor of the current breed, always gives something new.

agentperry

ra.one is the lowest level of any sophisticated film industry. he set a standard

niharjhatn

Anyone seen Don 2? Any good?

Don 1 was OK, nothing compared to the original though. The action scenes were pretty sweet.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Raj Kumar was awesome for his dialog delivery. Otherwise hmmmm. :D
the video should be dedicated to our brigadier!!

he should follow the lead of what is happening in that video :laugh:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I liked Don2.
Ra.1 was insufferable.

I prefer Salman to Shah Rukh personally.

JBH22

both are losers one has an inflated ego while the other is a narrow minded shorty... I prefer Sanjay Dutt versatile actor gives movie like Vaastav to Munnabhai MBBS in short I prefer versatile actors not buffoons

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I thought you said that you enjoyed Ra.One and the awesome "science fiction" therein? :pound:
Simple funda. He didn't want him to be the only one here who suffered watching the film and wanted all of us to go through the pain. I was smart enough to pick that :)

Galaxy

Country flag
SRK is not an actor but a successful businessman. He knows how to sell his movies. He makes money even before film is realised (Overseas, Music, TV and advertisement rights). So, Eventually he is in never loss. He is definitely a big celebrity. He was also lucky as he got most of the super hit movies of Yash Chopra and karan Johar. [He was nothing without big hits like Darr, DDLJ, KKKG, KHNH, DTPH, Moh.]. Once he got some big hits, He started making movie on own production (Red Chillies and Co-production with Karan Johar). His sole motto behind any movie is to make money. Nothing wrong for business point of view but an actor is remembered for acting and not his balance sheet. Today, we appreciate Rajash Khanna, Dilip Kumar, Rishi Kapoor due to their acting skills.

He mostly repeats himself in every movie in order to get Fixed Money in starting by various rights. I have not seen any of his film in last 2-4 years as far as i remember. Hritik Roshan and Amir Khan are far better actors and IMO, They deserve much better stardom. They both might make less money vis-a-vis SRK but they both are certainly more popular. Both always tries something new in their movies. Since, Both take some risk, So they do fail also sometime but that is what expected from versatile and true actors.

20 years down the line, People might not remember SRK as superstar but people will always remember Stars like Hritik, Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Amir Khan, Rishi Kapoor for versatile and superior acting skills.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles