Is there a case for privatization?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
And @pmaitra thanked this post too. :frusty:

Yeah, the US is "semi-fascist", the world will soon become completely fascist, and the good old USSR was a shining paragon of virtue, for the whole world to emulate. I salute you.

Unrelated to this, weren't you the guy who was praising Rahul Gandhi's "acumen" and "leadership capability" some months back?
I am quite right, you will realize in time. :thumb: Or perhaps not, if you're not around for the next 100 years. :taunt:

Oh, and I never praised Rahul Gandhi's personal qualities. I only said there is no alternative to Congress. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
@pmaitra @Bangalorean

Are we looking at right sample of companies to conclude whether private enterprises can develop advanced technologies? Right now you are debating using Indian companies as an example.

Go to the global scale and you would see huge contribution of private enterprises in most cutting edge technologies. India is yet to move up the value chain in manufacturing, so it is not justified to debate the accomplishments of PSUs vs private players when the latter only got a free hand to operate 2 decades ago(and not yet for many sectors). There is a reason why USSR lost so badly to US in the long run even though they showcased shining technological advancements for a while. And the reason is private enterprise!
BS. The reason is that the USSR was spending vast amounts of money on its military at the cost of everything else in an effort to keep pace with the US.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

BS. The reason is that the USSR was spending vast amounts of money on its military at the cost of everything else in an effort to keep pace with the US.
I think the US is doing the same thing. Borrowing money to fund its military industrial complex and corporations that have a stranglehold on its government, and invading countries; and when no casus belli exists, allegedly orchestrating attacks against its own citizens to generate support for more wars.

It might happen to India as well, with the private arms manufacturers leading India into wars with countries for no reason whatsoever.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I think the US is doing the same thing. Borrowing money to fund its military industrial complex and corporations that have a stranglehold on its government, and invading countries, and when no casus belli exists, allegedly orchestrating attacks against its own citizens to generate support for more wars.

It might happen to India as well, with the private arms manufacturers leading India into wars with countries for no reason whatsoever.
Though the USSR didn't actually *use* its military much. The only major war they fought after WWII was Afghanistan, and that too due to an invitation from the Afghan communist government at the time.

The US foreign policy on the other hand has just been a result of too much arrogance and a deluded sense of superiority over everyone else. It doesn't help that there are vested interests of private businesses, especially the arms and oil industries, pushing to get hold of resources for cheap and make gargantuan profits. In this pursuit, big business has pretty much bought the Republican party for many decades now. We think corruption in India is bad...in the US, ideology, arrogance and private enterprise have come together to create a mind-numbingly toxic mixture that is choking the whole world.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Without the market and private enterprise, there is no balance between different needs of the economy. And so private enterprise in the US helped them win the cold war!!

You just supported my points above!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I think the US is doing the same thing. Borrowing money to fund its military industrial complex and corporations that have a stranglehold on its government, and invading countries; and when no casus belli exists, allegedly orchestrating attacks against its own citizens to generate support for more wars.

But there is still more balance in a competitive economy. If there are better avenues of investment, private players would not invest in so called war machines.

pmaitra

But there is still more balance in a competitive economy. If there are better avenues of investment, private players would not invest in so called war machines.
Oh, c'mon man. You seriously believe there is a shortage of opportunities in the US, that it is forced to invest so much in defense, while continuing to raise its external debt limit?

Anyway, since you have been a loyal defender of Fractional Reserve Banking, could you please comment on the apparent disappearance of German gold from US Fed? Here is the link: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...did-us-exappropriate-steal-germanys-gold.html

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Without the market and private enterprise, there is no balance between different needs of the economy. And so private enterprise in the US helped them win the cold war!!

You just supported my points above!
If the market and private enterprise determine economic success, why is it that the US government gave free money to the tune of trillions of dollars to the banking, housing and auto industries in 2008? You call those decisions market driven? Btw, this was not even the first time these industries were given free money at taxpayers' expense. It has been happening over and over again since the 1970's.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Oh, c'mon man. You seriously believe there is a shortage of opportunities in the US, that it is forced to invest so much in defense, while continuing to raise its external debt limit?

Anyway, since you have been a loyal defender of Fractional Reserve Banking, could you please comment on the apparent disappearance of German gold from US Fed? Here is the link: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...did-us-exappropriate-steal-germanys-gold.html
I did not say there is shortage. There is back-end lobbying, no denial about it. But if better investment opportunities appear, investors will shift from defense to other sectors. Now, you are arguing as if just the defense expenditure is leading to rise of debt!!

Anyway, this thread is about whether private players can beat govt. firms in high-tech technology. And the debate above proved my point. There is no point in jumping from one debate to another when we have serious disagreements on basic premises such as FRB.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
If the market and private enterprise determine economic success, why is it that the US government gave free money to the tune of trillions of dollars to the banking, housing and auto industries in 2008? You call those decisions market driven? Btw, this was not even the first time these industries were given free money at taxpayers' expense. It has been happening over and over again since the 1970's.
Yes, govt. bailed out some enterprises. I did not say there cannot be any bubbles in private economy. Competitive economy does not rule out all problems, it just makes it more robust.

Your above argument is like: Ohh, you run everyday and still you fell sick. So, running is bad for health.

Just open your eyes and look at the world. There are enough natural experiments around the world which points towards the robustness of competitive market economy when compared to ugly communist regimes.

pmaitra

Now, you are arguing as if just the defense expenditure is leading to rise of debt!!
I would refer you to the video in this post: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...-sees-no-chance-fair-trial-us.html#post846182

Seriously, take the time out and see it.

Anyway, this thread is about whether private players can beat govt. firms in high-tech technology.
This thread is more generic than that. It is about whether there is a case for privatization.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles