Is the milk or you buy adulterated ? Or medicines fake?

Goodperson

I stay in Pune Maharashtra after returning from US, I have read many times and read news that most of the milk which we purchase is adulterated, And on top of that most of the milk dairies are owned by Politicians.

Its not only with Milk but quite a few medicines are fake at least I can take Prescription hoping that will save me from adulterated medicines.

Is their a law against adulteration ? Considering this affects Kids and elderly people ?

natarajan

yes adulteration is becoming a menace we have to send this issue also to pm or health minister

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lol nataraj. We will write to the PM tomorrow and by day after all such activities will stop.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Adulteration of milk is a common phenomenon in most developing countries. Atleast in India, the most prevalent practice is dilution with water, which if the milk is thoroughly boiled before consumption should remove any fortuitous health effects associated with the water being impure. In China, the most common method is adulteration with formaldehyde or melamine - as the 2008 China milk scandal demonstrates- and if ever there was anything more inexcusable, it is this. For the effects of these two 'preservatives' include kidney stones and kidney damage, and eventually death.

One way to check if the milk you're getting from your vendor is hydro-diluted [which it most likely is] is to test with a lactometer or hydrometer, which you can avail of at most chemist stores. The specific gravity of milk will afford some clew as to whether the milk has been adulterated by dilution with water or not. Whole milk has a specific gravity between 1.027 and 1.033. The specific gravity of skimmed milk is higher, and milk very rich in cream is sometimes lower than these figures. A reading by means of a hydrometer or lactometer below the figure of 1.027 is indicative of the product being tampered with.

Or else you could be cautious and do what most middle-class consumers do: buy from Amul, Mother Dairy, Aarey or Reliance Retail stores which are reputed to have stringent quality controls.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
As a supplier of the stainless steel pipe fittings to dairies and breweries and other food proceeding industries, I can tell you that apart from adultration, use of low quality fittings can cause a lot of harm. It is rampant among them to use low grade material to save cost. Not the right thing to do but it happens. I have lost a lot of business as I don't supply such material. First thing that comes to my mind is will I be comfortable drinking milk that has passed through rusted pipe, fittings and valves. The answer is no for me. But others have no such thoughts.

bhramos

Country flag
do anyone know,
dont drink milk which is more thick means like gold, because H2O2 will be mixed to get thick.
100000l + 0.1ml h2o2.

Goodperson

Its not water always children fall sick consuming poisonous spurious milk made from chemicals such as Urea.

The study was carried out keeping in view the recently emerging concern of the adulteration of the natural milk with the synthetic milk. Synthetic milk is prepared by emulsifying vegetable oils with appropriate amount of detergent and urea. Samples of the natural milk with synthetic milk were analyzed by the method of electrical admittance spectroscopy. Measurements at 100 kHz and 8 °C show statistically significant difference between the conductance (G). Experimental results for a proto-type fabricated in the laboratory are presented.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=46c55a972f8c49eaae03d67fa79a9fff

Rage

DFI TEAM
Its not water always children fall sick consuming poisonous spurious milk made from chemicals such as Urea.

The study was carried out keeping in view the recently emerging concern of the adulteration of the natural milk with the synthetic milk. Synthetic milk is prepared by emulsifying vegetable oils with appropriate amount of detergent and urea. Samples of the natural milk with synthetic milk were analyzed by the method of electrical admittance spectroscopy. Measurements at 100 kHz and 8 °C show statistically significant difference between the conductance (G). Experimental results for a proto-type fabricated in the laboratory are presented.

ScienceDirect - Journal of Food Engineering : Determining the adulteration of natural milk with synthetic milk using ac conductance measurement

I come from a city not too far from yours: Mumtroit, and having lived there all my life, I must admit: I have never once heard of children taking ill from urea contamination in milk.

That study is from 2005 - four years ago and prior to the widespread proliferation of new milk brands like 'Dairy Pure' and prior to the federation of 1,17,575 village dairy cooperatives into 170 milk unions under the aegis of the 'National Dairy Development Board' in 2006 - and from the Aligarh Muslim University, which is in Uttar Pradesh. Also, "statistically significant difference between conductance" at 100 kHz and 8 °C as the report states, is not an automatic indicia of urea contamination, particularly when the results are from "proto-type laboratory fabricated" samples. Since the characteristics of electrical admittance spectroscopy at 100 kHz and 8 °C for all milk samples (full fat, semi-skimmed, and skimmed) also demonstrate a linear decrease in conductance with increasing water content. In other words, the "statistically significant difference in conductance" could arise from water suffusion/dilution as well.

And while urea in significant quantities might be dangerous to infants, it is infact a necessary organic compound that plays an important role in the metabolism of nitrogen-compounds in animals. It is also the main ingredient discharged in mammalian pee, is colourless, highly soluble in water, neither acidic nor basic, and relatively non-toxic. Used also as a 'browning agent' in various foods, as an edible component in animal feeds and as nourishment for plankton.

Goodperson

If you are not aware then just google "spurious milk made from chemicals such as Urea"

Rage

DFI TEAM
If you are not aware then just google "spurious milk made from chemicals such as Urea"

Ughh 'bro', I never said I wasn't aware, only that in the couple of decades or more of my life in India's most commercially vibrant (and economically malfeasant) city, I haven't come across a single one.

Googling this reveals isolated pockets of instance in places like Gujarat, Chandigarh, some quarters of Delhi, Fatehgarh Sahib, Maharashtra and Cochi. Most seem to be confined to the private dairies, small-time brands like "Rajhans, Gokulam and Nizneshwar" and can be avoided by buying from the large dairy farms, companies and milk cooperatives.

Anyway, here's something for you to ruminate on:

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_smc-cracks-down-on-spurious-milk_1280101

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2003/09/13/stories/2003091300911704.htm
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_mah-govt-cracks-down-on-sale-of-spurious-adulterated-products_1282199
http://www.aol.in/news-story/food-markets-raided-in-lucknow-samples-collected/535728

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles