Is the LCH a true attack helicopter or is RUDRA better?

Defcon 1

Country flag
Hi,

@OP you forgot to mention that LCH can also carry rockets. In fact, the pic you posted itself shows LCH armed with a rocket.

Another difference between LCH and Rudra is in payload

PS: Does anybody know if useful weight comprises of anything in addition to weapons and fuel. Because if it does not, LCH will also carry significantly higher fuel than Rudra since weight of helicopter weapons is small.

Patriot

Country flag
How many missile or rockets hits LCH armour can take ?
We yet to see a helicopter which can take hit from missile and keep flying, even manpads.

LCH armour protection means it can withstand kind of antiaircraft guns fires to some extent and against certain calibers' [ 7.68mm, 12.7mm etc.] rounds.Survivability of a helicopter depends upon various circumstances & operational scenearios. Key is pilot training apart from self defence suite.

ninja85

LCH and ALH Rudra both are different in front profile.

ALH has greater area compare to LCH. So it offers bigger target to the enemy.

back side can be used on ALH rudra for extra passenger.
:wat:what do mean by 'greater area means big target'

that is exactly why guided missiles are being used.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
:wat:what do mean by 'greater area means big target'

that is exactly why guided missiles are being used.
in actual war, then LCH or ALH will be used against ground forces, they might come under attack from anti aircraft weapons, like AA gun on the tank, for that it, ALH has almost twice the size compare to LCH if you see the front view.

AA missile is different story.

happy

in actual war, then LCH or ALH will be used against ground forces, they might come under attack from anti aircraft weapons, like AA gun on the tank, for that it, ALH has almost twice the size compare to LCH if you see the front view.

AA missile is different story.
Totally agree. ALH would be giving target practice where as LCH would make it very difficult to acquire target.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Rudra is not exactly a Gunship but a combo of a transporter and a Gunship and sacrificing heavy Armour in passenger cabin ..

LCH is where as a true Gunship, Its meant for attack role only ..

================

Rudra is best suited to support SF actions ..

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
I have a question doesnt the shape of LCH makes it less vulnarable ie more stealth in comparison to Rudra?
Secondly in most of the leading heli's 30mm gun is being used why for both the heli's we have used 20mm? Correct me if I have stated something in correct?

Eastman

Country flag
I wonder how much of armour does an attack helicopter have,to the least I expect it can resist rifle and other hand gun attack including its rotor blades like in Apache.

Eastman

Country flag
An armoured SF operation weaponised helicopter of the Rudra size would be a cool stuff :cool:

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
the weight of lch will also get reduced cause of lesser size cause it is not for passenger role and hence it can perform better manoeuvre than rudra cause of lesser weight, better stealth and lesser size

ninja85

I have a question doesnt the shape of LCH makes it less vulnarable ie more stealth in comparison to Rudra?
Secondly in most of the leading heli's 30mm gun is being used why for both the heli's we have used 20mm? Correct me if I have stated something in correct?
you are partly right about shape giving some stealth but stealth does not only depends on shape their are others things also like engine heat signatures etc.other thing is lch is not 'stealth' chopper,today's new generation guided missile's cannot be dodged by just by shape of lch these missiles have air-burst war heads and impact or shock waves from these blast could easily destroy it or cripple it.

Pulkit

Country flag
Its not stealth agreed what really meant was it will ad some davantage won't it?
and wat are your view about use of 20mm gun in both where as more useful would have been 30mm???

threat from latest missiles is to all the leading helos not just LCH that shouldnot be used as a -ve mark........

you are partly right about shape giving some stealth but stealth does not only depends on shape their are others things also like engine heat signatures etc.other thing is lch is not 'stealth' chopper,today's new generation guided missile's cannot be dodged by just by shape of lch these missiles have air-burst war heads and impact or shock waves from these blast could easily destroy it or cripple it.

sydsnyper

Country flag
Does Rudra have rear opening doors like the Dhruv has.

This would be a great place to mount a machine gun or active protection systems against portable AAMs...... or even extra sensors. I have always felt that the back side of such light carrier/attack choppers is wasted.

ninja85

threat from latest missiles is to all the leading helos not just LCH that shouldnot be used as a -ve mark........
you misunderstood it is exactly what i said but in different words,many said that shape of lch makes it less vulnerable to missiles than rudra,yes shape of lch it gives some advantages maybe significant ones but it's not plus point either,modern missile's seeker's aim does not depended on the shape of chopper and air-burst warhead too have nothing to do with shape of chopper as it burst in air close to the target to destroy it and does not actually impact on it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Shape and Materiel does impact on guidance of radar guided SAM ..

Infrared on other hand follows heat, Flairs are the countermeasures ..

you misunderstood it is exactly what i said but in different words,many said that shape of lch makes it less vulnerable to missiles than rudra,yes shape of lch it gives some advantages maybe significant ones but it's not plus point either,modern missile's seeker's aim does not depended on the shape of chopper and air-burst warhead too have nothing to do with shape of chopper as it burst in air close to the target to destroy it and does not actually impact on it.

Pulkit

Country flag
Shape and Materiel does impact on guidance of radar guided SAM ..

Infrared on other hand follows heat, Flairs are the countermeasures ..
@ninja85 Xactly thats what I meant... Just to add a little .... we can taking only with respect to missiles but even today quite a lot of helos are attacked by Rifles and rocket launchers which are normally neither radar oriented nor heat.... In conventional war strategy they thus increase its importance .....
Do rectify me if I am wrong....
Thnx @Kunal Biswas

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles