Is PLA 15th Div para-drop in TIBET 1988 a hoax ?

blueblood

I said we havnt the access to the report. It could be done by train for all we know,.

You didnt give any source, wait you mean the wiki? :confused:

For the record I am not disagree with your conclusion. Just the way you arrive at it.

No report= no way of knowing what happend. The whole discusion is based on a report that dont exist. :lol:

Dude, there is blog and there is blog.:cool2:

Have a look and decide for your-self.

Not taking anything from Janes or the others. But they are not dedicated chinese military sources.

I have seen them refer to that blog for that matter.

Anyway the choice is yours. You can look it up or dont.

Have fun.
Dude you are wasting my saturday night while you are earning your 50 cents.

Sabri brothers and whiskey are waiting for me.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In that case I suggest you have a word with the thread starter. Better tell him that all his info about 15th airborn are from the propaganda cell of CCP. :rofl:
Check what Title the Thread Starter has given!

Told you that you are finding comprehension a wee bit over the top! ;) :)

Yse, trains have been used.

Check the IDSA comments I have appended on the thread on Chinese exercises.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No i am wasting my time on you. Dinner is waiting for me.
Good.

Go and have dinner.

Guess what I just cooked for myself - a Chinese fried rice!

Zebra

Country flag
China uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners to transfer light armor vehicle .

Posted on 30 March 2012 by admin .

2012-03-30 (China Military News released by China-defense-mashup.com) -- On March 26, Chinese Air Force organized a drill to uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners in troop deployment.

According to news sources, One infantry battalion of PLA Air Force 15th Airborne Army was successfully transferred from Henan Province to the destination via Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

Meanwhile, some airborne light armor vehicles, which once appeared in Sino-Russia "Peace Mission 2007" Joint Drill, were loaded into a Boeing 747-400F main deck for long range deployment.

Chinese Soldiers are ready to board on plane

PLA light airborne armor vehicle to be loaded into 747-400F plane

747-400F's main deck has enough space for armor vehicle

the unload of the vehicle when arriving at the destination airport

Boeing 777-200ER can transfer about 400 soldiers

Those airliners are from China Southern Airlines. Some data of Boeing website displays that total 18 Boeing 777 series and 2 Boeing 747-400F planes were sold to China Southern Airlines. In China mainland, the Boeing 777 fleet has 27 planes and the number of Boeing 747-400 series is 34.

China uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners to transfer light armor vehicle | China Military Power Mashup

Zebra

Country flag
China uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners to transfer light armor vehicle .

Posted on 30 March 2012 by admin .

2012-03-30 (China Military News released by China-defense-mashup.com) -- On March 26, Chinese Air Force organized a drill to uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners in troop deployment.

According to news sources, One infantry battalion of PLA Air Force 15th Airborne Army was successfully transferred from Henan Province to the destination via Boeing 777-200ER aircraft.

Meanwhile, some airborne light armor vehicles, which once appeared in Sino-Russia "Peace Mission 2007" Joint Drill, were loaded into a Boeing 747-400F main deck for long range deployment.

Chinese Soldiers are ready to board on plane

PLA light airborne armor vehicle to be loaded into 747-400F plane

747-400F's main deck has enough space for armor vehicle

Boeing 777-200ER can transfer about 400 soldiers

Those airliners are from China Southern Airlines. Some data of Boeing website displays that total 18 Boeing 777 series and 2 Boeing 747-400F planes were sold to China Southern Airlines. In China mainland, the Boeing 777 fleet has 27 planes and the number of Boeing 747-400 series is 34.

China uses Boeing 777-200ER and 747-400F airliners to transfer light armor vehicle|China Military Power Mashup

DBF1954

I think it's a hoax. With no credible source and no airplanes to get them there such a conclusion is not difficult reach.

Let's look at another incident one year later: In March 1989 martial law was declared for Lhasa and additional troops had to be sent from Sichuan. However only one regiment was airlifted mostly with civilian airplanes while all the other soldiers and all the heavy material including APC's was sent by train and truck by way of Xining and Golmud.

Conclusion: With significant airlift capacity available at that time it would have been used as a train and road trip of around five days is not what any military commander would want to do.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
You cannot transport heavy machines via Aircrafts ( AN-12 copies ) But men in numbers ..

If i am not mistaking they have demonstrated there ability to conduct such mobilizations during Mid 90s ( IL-76MD ) ..

DBF1954

The headline of this thread says "para-drop" while the actual case in 1989 as well as most pictures above are about air transport and not para-drop. China would have had enough passenger airplanes to transport 10'000 soldiers to Tibet in 1988, but it doesn't work out that easy when we want to para-drop them.

A second argument against such an event is geography: The 15th Army Corps is stationed in Hubei province and airplanes capable of flying from there all the way to Tibet and back does further limit the number of machines available for such a task. To do such an para-drop would be a big task even for Chinese paratroopers today.

Yet another story is high-altitude acclimatisation. Stationed at about 200m above sea level such troops would hardly be able to fight. Just as India doesn't drop coastline troops into Ladakh, Chinese army commanders are familiar with that problem too.

A search in the Internet in English and Chinese for such an event in 1988 leads only to wiki and this forum. Seems nobody else knows anything about it...?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Army fights effectively above 5,753meters, I can believe Chinese also do ..

Up there, Its more infantry than anything else ..

Yet another story is high-altitude acclimatisation. Stationed at about 200m above sea level such troops would hardly be able to fight. Just as India doesn't drop coastline troops into Ladakh, Chinese army commanders are familiar with that problem too.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The headline of this thread says "para-drop" while the actual case in 1989 as well as most pictures above are about air transport and not para-drop. China would have had enough passenger airplanes to transport 10'000 soldiers to Tibet in 1988, but it doesn't work out that easy when we want to para-drop them.

A second argument against such an event is geography: The 15th Army Corps is stationed in Hubei province and airplanes capable of flying from there all the way to Tibet and back does further limit the number of machines available for such a task. To do such an para-drop would be a big task even for Chinese paratroopers today.

A search in the Internet in English and Chinese for such an event in 1988 leads only to wiki and this forum. Seems nobody else knows anything about it...?
You are right. One does need to acclimatise and one can not drop coast line troops into such merciless high altitude.

But One can para drop acclimatised troop from one high altitude to the other. There is no dearth of high altitudes on India china frontier / borders. In fact it is easy for the Chinese troops stationed anywhere in Tibet to be lifted and Para dropped . Therefore, Chinese must be maintaining what is called "High Altitude Acclimatised Reserves".

Not from Hubei province .

DBF1954

The Indian Army regulations are very specific on that topic:

Indian Army which are used, for its very famous acclimatisation schedules, for its foot soldier are 2700m - 3600m, 3600 m - 4500 m and > 4500m.
The three stage acclimatisation schedules for soldiers extend up to 14 days for Stage III to reach altitudes of > 4500m. Stage I acclimatisation lasts for 6 days for altitudes range of 2700m to 3600m. To achieve Stage II additional 4 days are required, which is considered appropriate for altitudes 3600m to 4500m. For re-entry to high altitude, after 10 -30 days of break at lowland, 4 days at each stage need to be spent. After break of > 30 days full acclimatization schedule as fresh inductees needs to be followed.

Quoted from: http://medind.nic.in/iab/t08/i2/iabt08i2p9.pdf

Whatever the acclimatisation schedules for Chinese paratroopers are, it will not be very different or they just cannot fight.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In training procedure it does, But while fighting it goes beyond so ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles