Is PLA 15th Div para-drop in TIBET 1988 a hoax ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
U.S. and Allies Source of New Chinese Weaponry

China is quickly adding advanced Western technology to its military, often in violation of trade agreements made with America and her allies.

The latest additions include U.S.-made electronic navigation systems from America, Canadian aircraft engines, British propellers and an advanced heavy-duty truck produced in China with technology from DaimlerChrysler.

The People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) is working hard to add significant radar surveillance to its warfighting capabilities. In response to this need, the Shaanxi Aircraft Industry Corporation has developed a new type of airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft based on its Y-8 turboprop transport aircraft.

The new Chinese Y-8 is truly an international effort. The Y-8 is a Chinese version of the Russian AN-12 military transport. The aircraft was developed with the assistance of Ukrainian Antonov Design Bureau. The new Y-8 Chinese airborne radar plane includes navigation avionics from U.S. maker Honeywell, four Pratt and Whitney Canada PW150B turboprop engines and British Dodi R-408 6-blade propellers.

The new radar plane, code-named "Balance Beam," is fitted with a linear-shape electronically steered phased-array (ESA) radar. The radar is similar in shape and size to the Swedish Ericsson PS-890 Erieye airborne radar. The radar is to be manufactured by the PLA 38th Institute.

The first Y-8 "Balance Beam" prototype, converted from a Y-8F-200 transport aircraft, flew on November 8, 2001. The second production version began test flights in late 2005.

The "Balance Beam" radar has the capability of being used in "spot" mode, illuminating a single site similar to a searchlight, or wide search mode. The multi-mode radar means the Y-8 can be used for ground mapping and target acquisition.

The Y-8 "Balance Beam" will provide the PLAAF with a platform for tactical airborne early warning and electronic intelligence missions. The "Balance Beam" is designed to coordinate Chinese fighters, bombers and strike aircraft via datalinks in air campaigns against Taiwan, Japan, India or the U.S.

Chinese Army Buys American

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Civil airlines for troops, transporters for equipments, if short of planes.
And delivering a division into Tibet in 48 hours is far from amazing nowadays.
With the help of railroad net and preset equipments in Tibet, several corps can be moved to hold positions quickly enough.
AB Corps is Airborne and not assembled into a war zone by rail.

When that exercise took place was commercial flights in China halted and divert for the AB Corps?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Y-8 serial number 21101 "High New 7", entered service with PLAAF 30th Independent (ECM) Regiment recently indicating the regiment is enhancing its profiles to include other EW related missions. High Noon 7 is designed jam enemy's communication in both military and civilian spectrum in time of war.

China Defense Blog: PLAAF 30th Independent (ECM) Regiment

GromHellscream

AB corps are not specialized for fast reaction tasks, as Tibet for example.
They are primarily used as reservation troops when a campaign broke out.
There are other corps on duty to handle such kind of emergency.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Some important finds:

The Lockheed L-100 Hercules was the Lockheed Corporation's less successful civilian variant of the prolific C-130 military transport aircraft. Its first flight occurred in 1964. Longer L-100-20 and L-100-30 versions were developed. L-100 production ended in 1992 with 114 aircraft delivered.

Yun-7 Turboprop Transport Aircraft, An-24 copy ,first flew in 1980, and was finally approved for design finalisation in July 1982. The aircraft was certified for passenger flight in January 1984, with a total of 85 examples were delivered by 1992.

No doubt these aircraft played major role, still lacking the big bird in the picture..

From main
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/.../17029-pla-15th-airborne-corps-along-lac.html

blueblood

Most ridiculous claim I've heard all year. If 20 Il76's, 45 Y8's, 80 Y7, not to mention the over 300 Y5 light transports still in service

Go and download a "World Air Forces 2011-2012 " from flight global.

Provide some neutral and reputable sources. Frankly, I don't give a damn if you have 10,000 wright brothers plane.

300 Y-5s and an airbourne division. :scared2:

ice berg

You are comparing russian aviation with chinese?:shocked:

Until the Il76 deal get through and the new Y-9 comes into play , there is not much assets to speak of.

He said:If 20 Il76's, 45 Y8's, 80 Y7, not to mention the over 300 Y5 light transports still in service. Not that it only consists of 300 Y5s.

Maybe learn to read better.

blueblood

You are comparing russian aviation with chinese?:shocked:

Until the Il76 deal get through and the new Y-9 comes into play , there is not much assets to speak of.

He said:If 20 Il76's, 45 Y8's, 80 Y7, not to mention the over 300 Y5 light transports still in service. Not that it only consists of 300 Y5s.

Yet no source for that. And no sino defence please. Janes or any other will do

The comparison was for to show you 50 cent clowns, the sheer number and quality of air assets required for transporting 3 divisions.:lol:

Again, how many IL-76 were there in 88?

ice berg

We dont know the circumstances around the claim because frankly no one has provided the report.

Thus you cant judge on the numbers alone.

And your source is just as fishy.

Sino defence is not ok, but wiki source is ok? Did you even notice who they use as reference? Janes?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
blueblood,

They are spinmeisters!

They can make the Sun sing songs in Chinese on posts and propaganda leaflets.

I think Damein exposed them for what they are in the Zumwalt thread.

They flip flop in brains and on feet they wear flip flops.

Flip and Flop!

Like Thomson and Thompson ot Tintin series.

Bumbling all the way.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
No, Mao's Red Book (Deng version) is!

ice berg

The fact that you have never been to that blog

Guess you dont know that many people in this forum using that blog. Where you think the info about 15th airborn coming from.

I can assure you it is not from flightglobal

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Where you think the info about 15th airborn coming from
From the propaganda cell of the CCP.

As ingenuous as they are at changing history and claiming that the world is theirs!

ice berg

In that case I suggest you have a word with the thread starter.

blueblood

The fact that you have never been to that blog , yet claiming it is a 50 cent blog, tells me alot about your-self.

Guess you dont know that many people in this forum using that blog. Where you think the info about 15th airborn coming from.

I can assure you it is not from flightglobal. :lol:

So you have the chance of checking that out and verify it or keep trolling.

Your call.

There is no way to tell if it is a hoax or not if you dont even provide the source.

Reports claim that a 10,000 man airborne division was transported to Tibet in less than 48 hours in 1988.

For instance, which report/reports.
You are comparing russian aviation with chinese?

Your earlier posts.

First, you say that there are no confirmed reports about the exercise, true. I don't believe that Chinese pulled it it off. Prove me wrong. :p

Second, you jumped in between the conversation and brain farted an imaginary inventory. I gave sources, you didn't. Again prove me wrong:p

Third, you are now telling me to believe to a punk ass blog instead of flightglobal. Find me Janes, SIPRI, IISS or something.

ice berg

I said we havnt the access to the report. It could be done by train for all we know,.

You didnt give any source, wait you mean the wiki? :confused:

For the record I am not disagree with your conclusion. Just the way you arrive at it.

No report= no way of knowing what happend. The whole discusion is based on a report that dont exist. :lol:

Dude, there is blog and there is blog.:cool2:

Have a look and decide for your-self.

Not taking anything from Janes or the others. But they are not dedicated chinese military sources.

Meaning sometimes some others just know better than them. It cant be that hard to understand?

They are global, not country spesific.

I have seen them refer to that blog for that matter.

Anyway the choice is yours. You can look it up or dont.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles