Is Hindi an imposed language in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourav Kumar

To those South Indian political bigwigs who are drooling over their vernaculars - which language should we learn to communicate with 80% people of the South? At least in the 'Narth', people understand Hindi. Will a Tamil understand Malyali? Can I speak in Kannada with a Mallu? Can I buy a smoke from a Telugu speaking shopkeeper if I know Malaylam. If the answer to all of the above is No - LEARN HINDI.

No, LEARN SANSKRIT!

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

Sourav Kumar

PM Namo takes the name of Swami Vivekananda and Rishi Aurobindo but I wonder whether Amit Shah got time to read Rishi Aurobindo etc! If Amit Shah is 2nd-in-command of "Hindutva" party, he must respect and obey what the saints of Hinduism already prescribed for India.

The vital question is how we are to learn and make use of Sanskrit and the indigenous languages so as to get to the heart and intimate sense of our own culture and establish a vivid continuity between the still living power of our past and the yet uncreated power of our future.

-Sri Aurobindo

The ancient and classical creations of the Sanskrit tongue both in quality and in body and abundance of excellence, in their potent originality and force and beauty, in their substance and art and structure, in grandeur and justice and charm of speech and in the height and width of the reach of their spirit stand very evidently in the front rank among the world�s great literatures. The language itself, as has been universally recognised by those competent to form a judgment, is one of the most magnificent, the most perfect and wonderfully sufficient literary instruments developed by the human mind, at once majestic and sweet and flexible, strong and clearly-formed and full and vibrant and subtle, and its quality and character would be of itself a sufficient evidence of the character and quality of the race whose mind it expressed and the culture of which it was the reflecting medium.

-Sri Aurobindo

On 11 November 1967 the Mother said :

Sanskrit !

Everyone should learn that. Especially everyone who works here should learn that� not the Sanskrit of the scholars� all, all of them, wherever they may have been born.

In principle, Mother, that is what we are thinking of � next year, to make all the children do Sanskrit, plus their mother tongue.

Yes. Not Sanskrit from the point of view of scholarship, but Sanskrit, a Sanskrit � how to put it ? � that opens the door to all the languages of India. I think that is indispensable. The ideal would be, in a few years, to have a rejuvenated Sanskrit as the representative language of India, that is, a spoken Sanskrit, so that� Sanskrit is behind all the languages of India and it should be that. This was Sri Aurobindo's idea, when we spoke about it. Because now English is the language of the whole country, but that is abnormal. It is very helpful for relations with the rest of the world, but just as each country has its own language, there should� And so here, as soon as one begins to want a national language, everyone starts quarrelling. Each one wants it to be his own, and that is foolish. But no one could object to Sanskrit. It is a more ancient language than the others and it contains the sounds, the root-sounds of many words.

This is something I studied with Sri Aurobindo and it is obviously very interesting. Some of these roots can even be found in all the languages of the world � sounds, root-sounds which are found in all those languages. Well, this, this thing, this is what ought to be learnt and this is what the national language should be. Every child born in India should know it, just as every child born in France has to know French. He does not speak properly, he does not know it thoroughly, but he has to know French a little; and in all the countries of the world it is the same thing. He has to know the national language. And then, when he learns, he learns as many languages as he likes. At the moment, we are still embroiled in quarrels, and this is a very bad atmosphere in which to build anything. But I hope that a day will come when it will be possible.

So I would like to have a simple Sanskrit taught her, as simple as possible, but not "simplified" � simple by going back to its origin� all these sounds, the sounds that are the roots of the words which were formed afterwards. I don't know whether you have anyone here who could do that. In fact, I don't know whether there is anyone in India who could do it. Sri Aurobindo knew. But someone who knows Sanskrit can� I don't know�

Source:
https://motherandsriaurobindo.in/sanskrit/_Old 99/sanskrit/the_mother_on_sanskrit.htm

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
All indian languages are equal. Hindi being the most spoken is first amoung equals and is primary language when one travels outside of a state. What people are against is imposition of hindi as primary language of communication from govt when English does this job quite well. Its simple prefrence and not chauvinism. India can not be made homogenous just by wishing it was. If original research and publications happens in Hindi language and it becomes economically viable language then people and corporations will adopt it and it appears thats what center is trying to do as well. People both pro and against Hindi should not inflame others and make this a your opinion vs mine mud slinging.
Hindi language is not the first amongst equals, as hindi-speakers would lke it to be.

As I said before.. it is because & only because of Bollywood's popularity that Hindi is understood to some degree by maximum 50% of all Indians. But many of them don't speak it, most of then don't speak it without sounding comically incorrect:^That's considered decent!
Very, very few can barely read it (including me) & almost none can write it.

Hindi has one advantage over English & Sanskrit though. It allows conversation between, say a not-so-learned Marathi & Bengali... but leave it at speaking.

But in case of writing English is much more commonly known among non-hindi speakers, compared to Hindi. & we don't want to replace it with your Hindi... Everything everywhere is English in today's internet era, our interactions are not restricted to within our own country.
You can deny the role played by English in history of India as much as you want, but it's a fact.

So again.. when official language is concerned, either all Indians use that English which equally foreign, but relevant to all of us (unlike Spanish or German). Or if we are insist on burdening ourselves with learning another extra language, then let's ALL learn Sanskrit.
PM Namo takes the name of Swami Vivekananda and Rishi Aurobindo but I wonder whether Amit Shah got time to read Rishi Aurobindo etc! If Amit Shah is 2nd-in-command of "Hindutva" party, he must respect and obey what the saints of Hinduism already prescribed for India.

The vital question is how we are to learn and make use of Sanskrit and the indigenous languages so as to get to the heart and intimate sense of our own culture and establish a vivid continuity between the still living power of our past and the yet uncreated power of our future.

-Sri Aurobindo

The ancient and classical creations of the Sanskrit tongue both in quality and in body and abundance of excellence, in their potent originality and force and beauty, in their substance and art and structure, in grandeur and justice and charm of speech and in the height and width of the reach of their spirit stand very evidently in the front rank among the world�s great literatures. The language itself, as has been universally recognised by those competent to form a judgment, is one of the most magnificent, the most perfect and wonderfully sufficient literary instruments developed by the human mind, at once majestic and sweet and flexible, strong and clearly-formed and full and vibrant and subtle, and its quality and character would be of itself a sufficient evidence of the character and quality of the race whose mind it expressed and the culture of which it was the reflecting medium.

-Sri Aurobindo

On 11 November 1967 the Mother said :

Sanskrit !

Everyone should learn that. Especially everyone who works here should learn that� not the Sanskrit of the scholars� all, all of them, wherever they may have been born.

In principle, Mother, that is what we are thinking of � next year, to make all the children do Sanskrit, plus their mother tongue.

Yes. Not Sanskrit from the point of view of scholarship, but Sanskrit, a Sanskrit � how to put it ? � that opens the door to all the languages of India. I think that is indispensable. The ideal would be, in a few years, to have a rejuvenated Sanskrit as the representative language of India, that is, a spoken Sanskrit, so that� Sanskrit is behind all the languages of India and it should be that. This was Sri Aurobindo's idea, when we spoke about it. Because now English is the language of the whole country, but that is abnormal. It is very helpful for relations with the rest of the world, but just as each country has its own language, there should� And so here, as soon as one begins to want a national language, everyone starts quarrelling. Each one wants it to be his own, and that is foolish. But no one could object to Sanskrit. It is a more ancient language than the others and it contains the sounds, the root-sounds of many words.

This is something I studied with Sri Aurobindo and it is obviously very interesting. Some of these roots can even be found in all the languages of the world � sounds, root-sounds which are found in all those languages. Well, this, this thing, this is what ought to be learnt and this is what the national language should be. Every child born in India should know it, just as every child born in France has to know French. He does not speak properly, he does not know it thoroughly, but he has to know French a little; and in all the countries of the world it is the same thing. He has to know the national language. And then, when he learns, he learns as many languages as he likes. At the moment, we are still embroiled in quarrels, and this is a very bad atmosphere in which to build anything. But I hope that a day will come when it will be possible.

So I would like to have a simple Sanskrit taught her, as simple as possible, but not "simplified" � simple by going back to its origin� all these sounds, the sounds that are the roots of the words which were formed afterwards. I don't know whether you have anyone here who could do that. In fact, I don't know whether there is anyone in India who could do it. Sri Aurobindo knew. But someone who knows Sanskrit can� I don't know�

Source:
https://motherandsriaurobindo.in/sanskrit/_Old 99/sanskrit/the_mother_on_sanskrit.htm
Otherwise f*** learning both, Hindi & Sanskrit... Spoken Hindi & written English are enough to facilitate communication between all Indians!!!

Last edited:

Sourav Kumar

Or f we are insist on burdening ourselves with learning another extra language, let's all learn Sanskrit.
It's no burden at all. Already I can understand C, C++, Java, Python, Go etc even though I am not a programmer. Everyone can learn only that much Sanskrit which would be enough to be the bridge language in India (Or the identity language of India for foreigners.).

The Rastriya Rashtrabhasha Bullshit group just has a vested interest in getting All India succumb to Hindi. And they have already succeeded. If we have to fight for Dharma, we will fight Hindi for Dharma as well. After all Sanskrit is the natural language of Dharmic fellows. Amit Shah must understand that very well.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It's no burden at all. Already I can understand C, C++, Java, Python, Go etc even though I am not a programmer. Everyone can learn only that much Sanskrit which would be enough to be the bridge language in India (Or the identity language of India for foreigners.)
So now you are gonna decide whether it is a burden or not, for me? I think it is a burden if it is pointlessly unnecessary (unlike programming languages), but like programming languages I won't be needing it.
I have read works of Aurobindo or Vivekananda, all megalomaniacs living in their own bubble... nor do I care about impractical opinions of men who're dead for 100 years now.

In no universe, will I be able to talk to a auto-rickshawwala in Sanskrit at Gujarat, that's Hindi forever. But nor do I have any reason of writing an official letter to Assam in some UPwala's mother tongue.
That could be Sanskrit, but official work cannot be done in anything other than English in today's time, unless you're too small to involve internet or any international data... forget engineering, or medicine, or any higher studies or research!

As I said, bollywood Hindi & written English are enough for communication between all Indians, as well as internationally!!! Sanskrit may be learnt just for the sake of learning, nor because it's necessary or needed & definitely shouldn't be imposed!

Last edited:

Sourav Kumar

So now you are gonna decide whether it is a burden or not, for me? I think it is a burden if it is pointlessly unnecessary (unlike programming languages), but like programming languages I won't be needing it.
I have read works of Aurobindo or Vivekananda, all megalomaniacs living in their own bubble... nor do I care about impractical opinions of men who're dead for 100 years now.

In no universe, will I be able to talk to a auto-rickshawwala in Sanskrit at Gujarat, that's Hindi forever. But nor do I have any reason of writing an official letter to Assam in some UPwala's mother tongue.
That could be Sanskrit, but official work cannot be done in anything other than English in today's time, unless you're too small to involve internet or any international data... forget engineering, or medicine, or any higher studies or research!

As I said, bollywood Hindi & written English are enough for communication between all Indians, as well as internationally!!! Sanskrit may be learnt just for the sake of learning, nor because it's necessary or needed & definitely shouldn't be imposed!
Heh. If autorickshaw wallah can speak in English, why can't he speak in Sanskrit?

Anyway I am not deciding anything for you. That will decided by some total of masses in India, LOL.

And are you curious about knowing about men who are dead for 5000 years but can get into flying MiG even today? Here it goes:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Sir, direction of us should be to japanese way.... anyway what I have seen is people are willing to cooperate but cwhere are the MUNICIPAL dustbins?"people ask.
Babus like you eat those dustbins too... Simble...

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Heh. If autorickshaw wallah can speak in English, why can't he speak in Sanskrit?

Anyway I am not deciding anything for you. That will decided by some total of masses in India, LOL.

And are you curious about knowing about men who are dead for 5000 years but can get into flying MiG even today? Here it goes:
Because one needs some brains to learn Sanskrit...
English has no brains... that is why even a rickshaw puller can speak it..

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Sir, direction of us should be to japanese way.... anyway what I have seen is people are willing to cooperate but cwhere are the MUNICIPAL dustbins?"people ask.
Kolkata is full of municipal dustbins.. Lots of plastics are still everywhere, nor all waste goes there. Whatever does, most of it ends up in Dhapa garbage dumping ground.

Not much of that gets recycled. Nor would it even if they were recyclable. Because separation of plastic packets, sachets etc. from cloth, metal, paper, kitchen & plant waste is almost impossibly tedious!
Plastic being the most harmful bit, must be checked. This will also be good for local jute, flax etc. industries... waste generation will lessen too. Indians will reuse carry bags, than pay ₹1-2 more at shops for getting bio-plastic.
Do read what i wrote... not English. Hindi. Hindi picked up watching Bollywood.
I have traveled in almost all states of India & outside Kerala, parts of Karnataka or Telengana, Tamilnadu etc. most understand Hindi to some extent, speak a bit too.

But as per is higher educational & official written work is concerned, English really has no alternative today. You gotta learn it.
And at lower levels, local languages will do... No needs for Sanskrit. That's why it's gone!.. Bengali medium Government schools here still has Sanskrit instead of Hindi as 3rd language. It's still not any less dead.

Last edited:

Sourav Kumar

Do read what i wrote... not English. Hindi. Hindi picked up watching Bollywood.
I have traveled in almost all states of India & outside Kerala, parts of Karnataka or Telengana, Tamilnadu etc. most understand Hindi to some extent, speak a bit too.

But as per is higher educational & official written work is concerned, English really has no alternative today. You gotta learn it.
And at lower levels, local languages will do... No needs for Sanskrit. That's why it's gone!.. Bengali medium Government schools here still has Sanskrit instead of Hindi as 3rd language. It's still not any less dead.
I already read. I think it is clear that I disagree with you!

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I already read. I think it is clear that I disagree with you!
Then you'd misunderstood, big time.. also I am presenting arguments in favour of my views. Counter-arguments for your not agreeing would make more sense.
But yes, not like it matters.

Last edited:

Sourav Kumar

Then you'd misunderstood, big time.. also I am presenting arguments in favour of my views. Counter-arguments for your not agreeing would make sense. But yes, not like it matters.
There are people who don't present arguments for various reasons. There are people who believe in silence. Here is one more example of that:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
There are people who don't present arguments for various reasons. There are people who believe in silence. Here is one more example of that:
Why did you make me waste data on these bullshit?!
D8inMN-U0AA7Jc9.jpg

Last edited:

Jameson Emoni

I recall learning English/Hindi grammar as a kid and wondering on the futility of the entire exercise. I asked my teacher, "What is the point of learning grammar when I already know how to communicate with you?" My teacher did not think it was an intelligent question and basically brushed my concerns aside. Because of that unsatisfied curiosity, I did not take much interest in learning grammar afterward as is evident from my writings :)

Later on in my life, I watched a TV interview of a gentleman named Noam Chomsky. Back then, I did not know that he was a famous linguist. And guess what! He was talking about the exact same thing I wanted to talk to my teacher about. He was basically saying that natural language is something we do not learn; we are born with this ability. Our intrinsic ability to recognizing patterns in the speeches we hear as a kid forms the basis for us to master a natural language like Hindi, Bengali, English, etc. later.

I am a big fan of Sanskrit because this is the only language which is spoken across entire India. However, Sanskrit is not a natural language. Natural languages like Hindi, Bengali, English, etc. follow context based grammars. On the contrary, a Sanskrit sentence is produced by application of generative grammar which is similar to formation of a statement in a computer programming language. In brief, Sanskrit is a complicated language and therefore we cannot expect everyone in India to learn it but we should expect our scholars to learn Sanskrit. Sanskrit should become our national language. All official communications should occur in Sanskrit. This includes dissemination of lessons at schools.

As far as regional languages are concerned, there is nothing wrong with them flourishing side by side Sanskrit/Hindi. We just need to replace English with Sanskrit. That is all.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Because one needs some brains to learn Sanskrit...
English has no brains... that is why even a rickshaw puller can speak it..
Sir,
Sir, you are implying that autorickshaws wallah don't have brains ;)
Sir, I am implying that one does not need much of brains to learn English.... a language which is so pauper that it has nothing of its own except word that describe basic animal instincts, that too not sufficiently . A linguist would explain better....

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I recall learning English/Hindi grammar as a kid and wondering on the futility of the entire exercise. I asked my teacher, "What is the point of learning grammar when I already know how to communicate with you?" My teacher did not think it was an intelligent question and basically brushed my concerns aside. Because of that unsatisfied curiosity, I did not take much interest in learning grammar afterward as is evident from my writings :)

Later on in my life, I watched a TV interview of a gentleman named Noam Chomsky. Back then, I did not know that he was a famous linguist. And guess what! He was talking about the exact same thing I wanted to talk to my teacher about. He was basically saying that natural language is something we do not learn; we are born with this ability. Our intrinsic ability to recognizing patterns in the speeches we hear as a kid forms the basis for us to master a natural language like Hindi, Bengali, English, etc. later.

I am a big fan of Sanskrit because this is the only language which is spoken across entire India. However, Sanskrit is not a natural language. Natural languages like Hindi, Bengali, English, etc. follow context based grammars. On the contrary, a Sanskrit sentence is produced by application of generative grammar which is similar to formation of a statement in a computer programming language. In brief, Sanskrit is a complicated language and therefore we cannot expect everyone in India to learn it but we should expect our scholars to learn Sanskrit. Sanskrit should become our national language. All official communications should occur in Sanskrit. This includes dissemination of lessons at schools.

As far as regional languages are concerned, there is nothing wrong with them flourishing side by side Sanskrit/Hindi. We just need to replace English with Sanskrit. That is all.
In that case, you Start with the foundations of Mantra Shastra which is based on the real significance of sounds and phonetics and is foundation of many Indian - Tantrik, Shakt, Shaiv, Vaishnavite and Buddhist philosophies and practices.

Start with "Garland of Letters" by John Woodroffe, easily available as pdf on net. It will take you further by itself...you do not have to do anything...

All the best

Jameson Emoni

In that case, you Start with the foundations of Mantra Shastra which is based on the real significance of sounds and phonetics and is foundation of many Indian - Tantrik, Shakt, Shaiv, Vaishnavite and Buddhist philosophies and practices.

Start with "Garland of Letters" by John Woodroffe, easily available as pdf on net. It will take you further by itself...you do not have to do anything...

All the best
There is something very otherworldly about Sanskrit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles