Is Hindi an imposed language in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien

Is Hindi a imposed language in India?

I would say, No; rather it's a _Promoted_ Indian language.

As everyone knows, blokes in India speak various different languages and there was/is a need for a common language where everyone can communicate with each other. So, Hindi was promoted.

I want to ask non hindi memebrs did they ever came across these Hindi Hitlers and how is this Hindi Fascism works ?
I haven't come across any Hindi Hitlers so far... However, I have noticed that, majority of native Hindi speaking people never try to learn other Indian languages even if there's a pressing need, which is not an encouraging sign. Native Hindi speaking people expect others to learn Hindi but they are unwilling to learn or speak other languages.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
I am a Maratha. I live in Mumbai. I absolutely DO NOT agree that Hindi is an imposed language. Yes, it has various levels of influence in different parts of the country. In the north and north-west, Hindi runs the communication. In Maharashtra, urban areas are full of Hindi speaking population regardless of their origin. In rural areas, its mostly Marathi but they speak broken Hindi at the very least.

I learned Hindi in school and among friends. It was never imposed on me.

For e.g., South India. A lot of people there do not speak Hindi. They prefer their own native language or English. I have some south Indians working with me in Mumbai but do not understand or speak Hindi. We communicate in English.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
:lol: if there are no Hindi Nazis, why/what are you here complaining?

Hindi has no business to be promoted where it does not belong. It belongs in Hindi belt and nowhere else

pmaitra

Dravidian languages are different compared with Indo-Aryan Languages(No Aryan Invasion theory please) in broad sense.
Irony.
...............................................................................................

I_PLAY_BAD

Hindi, like English, is an imposed language in the regions where people do not have it as their mother tongue.
Learning Hindi or English is the same according to me, one common language to communicate to all. I would choose whichever is easier to learn. My take is English as it is taught in schools right from pre-KGs. So people don't have to put on lot of special efforts to learn a new language like Hindi.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
:lol: if there are no Hindi Nazis, why/what are you here complaining?

Hindi has no business to be promoted where it does not belong. It belongs in Hindi belt and nowhere else
My Army school principal was a keralite btw who was well versed in 3 languages and like him many south Indians have no problem living and settling down in Hindi belt (off course they must not be periyar dogs) ...... anyways if a Hindi speaker work in South he should learn the native language same applies for non Hindi speakers working in north if they don't please leave.

NCR is full of Northeastern people from Mizoram, Nagaland etc they Learn Hindi out not because someone beat him mercilessly but because its the way of life here.

And why the hell someone promote Hindi in T.N but even if someone do you can't stop him just like you can't stop celebrating Hindi Diwas in all public offices in Tamil Nadu declared by GOI

Last edited:

Bornubus

Hindi, like English, is an imposed language in the regions where people do not have it as their mother tongue.
Learning Hindi or English is the same according to me, one common language to communicate to all. I would choose whichever is easier to learn. My take is English as it is taught in schools right from pre-KGs. So people don't have to put on lot of special efforts to learn a new language like Hindi.
That i understand but how Hindi is imposed language in non Hindi regions.

Are PSU banks refuse to give you loans if you ask them in native language or you have inconvenience at Railway stations and other public places or getting a central govt. Job ?

raja696

Dravidian languages are different compared with Indo-Aryan Languages(No Aryan Invasion theory please) in broad sense.I met many northern people like Gujju/Bong/Marathi etc every one speaks fluent Hindi but we all know Telugu/Tamil/Kannada/mallu guys are opposite.

2.Yes Hindi is the only language can be understood by 60- 70% Indians but still those 30-40% will never accept Hindi imposition.Rest will may compromise a little but Tamils won't.

3.If you want one language to entire India just KILL ALL TAMILIANS!. :p

well said. That represents most of the south Indians. I believe Hindi is little over imposed, should have left it with out naming it as national language. Anyway Hindi is a common medium required for communication with rest of the India. We cant deny its importance, that is fact. But shouldn't have declared as national language giving right to majority Hindi speaking people, question to those who cant that "Hindi is a National language, its shame that you cant speak". I personally have problem with this part as I heard many times saying it to my colleagues as a insult or behind there back. I respect Hindi language as it is one of my language after my MT.

Illusive

Country flag
I am a Maratha. I live in Mumbai. I absolutely DO NOT agree that Hindi is an imposed language. Yes, it has various levels of influence in different parts of the country. In the north and north-west, Hindi runs the communication. In Maharashtra, urban areas are full of Hindi speaking population regardless of their origin. In rural areas, its mostly Marathi but they speak broken Hindi at the very least.

I learned Hindi in school and among friends. It was never imposed on me.

For e.g., South India. A lot of people there do not speak Hindi. They prefer their own native language or English. I have some south Indians working with me in Mumbai but do not understand or speak Hindi. We communicate in English.
1 of my friend went to bangalore for a job, he is originally from Himachal, and says people dont understand hindi there, he ain't good in english either. I told, like a mumbaikar would, learn the local language, you just gotta appreciate the diversity, not bitch or complain about it. Plus impress girls :p

I wasn't even aware that learning/accepting other languages would be a problem for some until i saw it here. I think though other cities are catching up, especially Bangalore in terms of multicultural society.

Bornubus

1 of my friend went to bangalore for a job, he is originally from Himachal, and says people dont understand hindi there, he ain't good in english either. I told, like a mumbaikar would, learn the local language, you just gotta appreciate the diversity, not bitch or complain about it. Plus impress girls :p

I wasn't even aware that learning/accepting other languages would be a problem for some until i saw it here. I think though other cities are catching up, especially Bangalore in terms of multicultural society.
LAMO why would a himachali guy would try to impress a girl in Bangalore.

I would've believe if he was trying to impress a girl from north east.

Its like vidyut Jamwal trying to impress Tabbu or Khus - bu :rofl:

Last edited:

Illusive

Country flag
LAMO why would a himachali guy would try to impress a girl in Bangalore or in any other south Indian State (if she is native) :lol:

I would've believe if he was trying to impress a girl from north east.

Its like vidyut Jamwal trying to impress Tabbu or Khus - bu :rofl:
Why do you ask such silly question.....wait don't answer it.

sabari

India 60 year oldTamil more then 2000 year .so no one in Tamil nadu will leave Tamil for connect language (Hindi) idea from north

Illusive

Country flag
India 60 year oldTamil more then 2000 year .so no one in Tamil nadu will leave Tamil for connect language (Hindi) idea from north
Brother, what makes you even think anybody is asking you to leave your language. I may not be tamil, but its history is my history and just like that, history of other states is yours too. I am proud of tamil language and its history, but don't make pride your ego. India is incomplete without histories of different regions.

Don't make such sweeping statements like this, think before you type.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
I think we should ban Hindi as all Hindi speaking states are backward. We should instead promote Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Kannada, Telugu etc in that order so that India can be cured of backwardness.:truestory:

Alien

India 60 year oldTamil more then 2000 year .
India 60 year old? :noidea: Tamil 2000 year old? :noidea:

Are you saying that, India did not exist before 60 years? and Tamilnadu was not part of India before 60 years?

What you want to prove here?

so no one in Tamil nadu will leave Tamil for connect language (Hindi) idea from north
Who has even asked Tamilians to leave Tamil and accept Hindi?

Hindi is an Indian language just like any other languages from different states. As I said before, Hindi as a language has been promoted to unite people so that, people with different tongues can communicate with each other using a unified language.

If you do not wish to learn or speak Hindi, it's up to you. Don't write absurd things...

BTW, I am a south Indian and hindi is not my mother tongue, that doesn't make me Hindi hater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles