Is Finland Really Getting Ready For War With Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rashna

Country flag
Is Finland really getting ready for war with Russia?
Holly Ellyatt | @HollyEllyatt
Friday, 22 May 2015 | 6:47 AM ETCNBC.com

Finland has informed its 900,000 military reservists of what their roles would be in the event of a military crisis against a backdrop of rising tensions between Russia and its neighbors.

The letters campaign by the Finnish army has ostensibly been carried out to "keep in touch" with its reservists, the Finnish Defense Ministry said on its website, and reservists have been asked to update their personal details that the army holds for them.

The letters have been sent as a result of "an extensive reform starting in 2008 affected the task of many reservists and the Defense Forces contacted the reservists to inform them what their individual role would be should Finland enter a conflict," the military's website noted.

The timing of the letters that has raised eyebrows, however, as relations between Russia and its neighbor Finland sour.

Martti Kainulainen | AFP | Getty Images
Russia has become increasingly isolated on the global stage for over a year now as a result of its annexation of Crimea and role in the recent conflict in Ukraine. Nonetheless, it has been conducting military exercises over the last year, including in the Baltic Sea near the shores of Finland – as well as other northern European countries.

Read MoreUkraine's economy may shrink 10% in 2015

Finland shares a land border with Russia but neither country is a member of the military alliance NATO, potentially making it more vulnerable to any future Russian aggression.

Seemingly aware of the potential military risks, the defense ministers of Nordic nations Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark and Iceland warned in April this year that Northern Europe must prepare for possible crises or incidents because of Russia.

Read MoreNew sanctions on Russia are 'economic war'

"Russia's leaders have shown that they are prepared to make practical and effective use of military means in order to reach their political goals, even when this involves violating principles of international law," the ministers wrote in a joint statement in Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, Reuters reported.

Finland's army has around 16,000 members, although the number rises when including its Naval and Air Forces. The forces would be given a significant boost were reserves to be called up.

Reservists are those "who are liable for and have completed their military service," the Finnish Defence Forces (Finland's military) said on its website.

The first letters were sent at the start of May with the final batch sent out in the last few days. Reservists were told by Finland's Defense Forces that within the letters:

"You will find your own details and your wartime assignment in the appendix with the letter. In other words, you can see whether you have an assigned wartime task, are in the reserve or have been reserved for other tasks by your employer."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102701178
@jouni - your comments please.......................................................

Rashna

Country flag
Mighty finnish army will be tested and all the pension funds will get utilized .............................@jouni

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Military power comparison results for Russia vs. Finland.
Your selected countries (Russia and Finland) are displayed below. Compare two other countries.

jouni

A lesson every nation must learn: Russia will break whatever treaty you signed with them (i.e. the Soviet–Finnish Non-Aggression Pact) and attack you on false pretexts (i.e. Shelling of Mainila), create a puppet government to administer the occupied territories (i.e. Finnish Democratic Republic), and will only relent if enough Russian soldiers are killed. The Finns killed over 1,200 Russians a day and thus got Russia to drop its plan to occupy and annex all of Finland. Theirs is a magnificent example to study, emulate and revere by all other nations under Russian threat.

Finland’s forests are hell for invaders.

Since even the current megalomaniac Russian leadership remembers the Winter War, Finland is safe. No Russian general wants his troops to enter Finnish forests and get massacred by the nearly 300,000 troops and 600,000 reservists Finland can muster. Finland, if attacked, can field twice (!) as many ground troops as Italy, Germany, France, Spain and the UK combined (!)

http://euromaidanpress.com/2015/04/11/finland-sparta-of-the-north/

sob

Mod
Country flag
Russia will not take on the Finnish. This does not make any sense. Russians may rattle their sabre in a bid to draw their sphere of influence but will not go to war over Finland.

Ukraine was a part of USSR and that will remain a no go for NATO.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
The best Finland can do is to hack Russian system.

I can't deny the Finland power in Software related.

They will destroy yandex mail at best.

sorcerer

Country flag
Russia will not take on the Finnish. This does not make any sense. Russians may rattle their sabre in a bid to draw their sphere of influence but will not go to war over Finland.

Ukraine was a part of USSR and that will remain a no go for NATO.
Russia wont by the looks of it.
But Finland is playing its part as scripted by the NATO. Upped the ante for creating a collective psych in their demographics to align with NATO.
Extension of NATO membership!!!
From the unknown submarine Drama to what its staged now , its :popcorn: moments.

NATO should make nice war movies and Monica Belluci should be in it.

jouni

This Indian and Russian "anti-NATO hysteria" is quite amusing actually. IMHO it is nothing but a classical example that if you have domestic problems at home, look for enemies outside. When you compare the list of to p countries globally at human development index, they are almost all NATO countries.

In Russia it is interesting that Putin made his anti-NATO speak at 2007, it happened at the same time, that Russia started to really recover from the terrible nineties and the money was pouring in from oil and gas imports. Instead of following the example of for example Poland and developing Russia to an open civil society and trying to develop with the co-operation with the west and improve education, healthcare etc. aspects of first world society, Russia chose otherwise.

All the money went to Siloviki ruling class and military and security service. Putin kept some of the old oligarchs and brought in new ones...mostly his old judo buddies. ( like Rotenberg family http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Romanovich_Rotenberg ). He turned Russia into kleptocracy and found a suitable enemy for the masses: NATO.

I still cannot believe that people in this forum, who are actually one of the brightest in India ( and other countries ) believe this BS. For me it is endlessly amusing. So THANK YOU INDIA FOR MAKING MY DAY!

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
GO Finland GO!!!

Crush the Ruskis!!!

Mighty Finnish would FINNISH minnows Ruskis within 1 day!

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
The current commotion we see by NATO is a show of force hoping that russia would back down at Ukraine and other interesting places. But I don't see that happening.

It is only in the minds of crazy loonies afffected by the contagious disease known as "Western media" that Russia is going to attack finland, poland, alaska etc.

Besides, Finland doesn't have anything of value, so no point in russia or any other country trying to invade/conquer finland.
As a matter of fact since finland is a western leash dog there may be a chance that finland may attack russia on orders from Washington.

But even that I don't see happening; the US is trying to smooth out the mess they created in russia's neighborhood.

Finland is a buffer nation and that is its destiny.
After a millenium of being under Swedish and Russian boots, "Great" Finland got it's "independence" (still washington's puppy though) less than a century ago so that it can act as a good buffer state. Nobody wants finland, atleast not now.

Illusive

Country flag
So whats wrong if Finland getting ready for war, a small nation will always be alert to a larger threat. Besides they are not provoking a war, are they?

sob

Mod
Country flag
@Yusuf is not the person who can answer this question.

Putin has successfully placed himself as the wounded underdog in the this situation and he will continue to milk it.

jouni

The current commotion we see by NATO is a show of force hoping that russia would back down at Ukraine and other interesting places. But I don't see that happening.

It is only in the minds of crazy loonies afffected by the contagious disease known as "Western media" that Russia is going to attack finland, poland, alaska etc.

Besides, Finland doesn't have anything of value, so no point in russia or any other country trying to invade/conquer finland.
As a matter of fact since finland is a western leash dog there may be a chance that finland may attack russia on orders from Washington.

But even that I don't see happening; the US is trying to smooth out the mess they created in russia's neighborhood.

After a millenium of being under Swedish and Russian boots, "Great" Finland got it's "independence" (still washington's puppy though) less than a century ago so that it can act as a good buffer state. Nobody wants finland, atleast not now.
Yeah, we were part of both Swedish and Russian empire, benefited from both and are happy with our history. You on the other hand seem to still suffer from being colonized by brits. Those Indian servants that we see in movies maybe still hunt you? Yes sahib! What is sahib? Oh those were great films... servants with turbans serving brits drinking tea with their feet on the stool.

People with healthy self esteem do not use words like "leash dog" or "puppy". Well you can use those words in the internet forum, but in real life I doubt so. Me and my colleagues met some Indians working in Finland, they made quite an impression and it was only yesterday our municipality mayor talked about them with respect. I hope to see more Indians like them.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

At least their women are hot so we can't say Finland has no value. :basanti:

But Russians are not going to attack them for that as they got their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles