Iran To Launch A "Hormuz Closing" Maneuver

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Iran To Launch A "Hormuz Closing" Maneuver

Iran plans to launch a maneuver that will close down the Hormuz strait, a member of Iranian Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Parviz Sururi said, ISNA reported.

"If the international community wants an insecure region, we will make the world insecure as well. We will carry out a maneuver that will close down the Strait of Hormuz," Sururi said.

Over 70% of world's energy transits go through Middle East and the Strait of Hormuz.

The Strait of Hormuz is a narrow, strategically important waterway between the Gulf of Oman in the southeast and the Persian Gulf. On the north coast is Iran and on the south coast is the United Arab Emirates and Musandam, an exclave of Oman.

The strait at its narrowest is 54 kilometers wide. It is the only sea passage to the open ocean for large areas of the petroleum-exporting Persian Gulf. Over 10 tankers carrying 15.5 million barrels (2,460,000 m3) of crude oil pass through the strait on an average day, making it one of the world's most strategically important choke points.

Iran to launch a "Hormuz closing" maneuver - Trend

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
It will spell and spill a very great disaster for the western world and they may soon launch a full fledged attack on IRAN as soon as possible.

Coming to the war scenario, a fortnight before when i went through the WORLD NEWS in the MIDDLE-EAST on the yahoo news web-site, it was given that the British and its allies will launch an attack on the IRAN REPUBLIC on the occasion of the CHRISTMAS or as early as the NEW YEAR.

Any news about this??????

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Iran will lose a lot of friends.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Iran will only speed up its regimes fall. Egypt nationlized Suez and next thing they knew was get bombed.

indian_sukhoi

Although this naval maneurvers cannot close down the Hormuz strait.

Iran can exercise their right for Military maneuvers has a patrol and safe guarding. You cant think to see a country to do nothing, when US is trespasses their airspace .

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Hormuz Blockade: Not as Easy as Iran May Think

News Headlines

Iran's navy does not have the size for a sustained physical blockade of the Strait, but does have mine-laying and missile capability to wreak some havoc, analysts said. ..But the Bahrain-based U.S. Fifth Fleet is nearby and keeping a close eye on Iran's activities in the Strait. Mine-laying or missile activity would not go undetected and would likely generate a U.S. response.

ejazr

Ambassador
I hope the Indian MEA is working overtime to put some sense into their Iranian counterparts. The biggest impact will be felt on India because more than CHina or the US we are directly dependant on Gulf oil for our energy needs. We don't need anymore military conflicts in that region for the next few decades at the very least.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Iran will only speed up its regimes fall. Egypt nationlized Suez and next thing they knew was get bombed.
The nationalization of the Suez was a political victory for Nasser. The British and French were forced to back down after Khrushchev threatened to nuke London and Paris. Nasser had to guarantee safe passage for international sea traffic but the Suez remained under nominal Egyptian control, which was far from what the Brits/French/Israelis wanted.

Of course Ahmadinejad doesn't have the same international support that Nasser had.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The nationalization of the Suez was a political victory for Nasser. The British and French were forced to back down after Khrushchev threatened to nuke London and Paris. Nasser had to guarantee safe passage for international sea traffic but the Suez remained under nominal Egyptian control, which was [far] from what the Brits/French/Israelis wanted.

Of course Ahmadinejad doesn't have the same international support that Nasser had.
When I was in basic training there was a ex-British airborne guy in my company who was in the Suez landings at age 17. He was the #2 man on a Vickers, and he said the Egyptians ran so quickly they left rations behind cooking on the fire.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When I was in basic training there was a ex-British airborne guy in my company who was in the Suez landings at age 17. He was the #2 man on a Vickers, and he said the Egyptians ran so quickly they left rations behind cooking on the fire.
I have seen Egyptian, Jordanian, Libyan, Iranian, PLO officers in our training institutes.

Apart from the last two categories, they were all slobs.

Interestingly, they were all connected to the powers that be in their country.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Iranians are the biggest trolls in Middle East

KS

Bye bye DFI
Why do you think so?
A troll is one who just mouthes of things without actually being capable to do so in real life and who knows his actions will sooner,rather than later will get him banned and yet he indulges in those.

Iran fits the bill perfectly. It knows it can't do jack of closing the Hormuz especially with the 5th fleet stationed there and will get shitted all over if it tried to do so..and yet indulges in verbal bravado.

I have real respect for the Persians, but these Iranis are just making a laughing stock out of themselves with these tall claims.

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
I have seen Egyptian, Jordanian, Libyan, Iranian, PLO officers in our training institutes.

Apart from the last two categories, they were all slobs.

Interestingly, they were all connected to the powers that be in their country.
Interesting stuff. I have heard many others saying very similar things.

I have heard that all Arab soldiers in general, are slobs. By "Arab", I refer to Saudi, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt, etc. A prime reason is severe nepotism in every sphere of life, including the armed forces. An Army officer's job is "respectable" in Saudi society, as opposed to several other jobs that are exclusively performed by immigrants. Hence, people connected to the royal family etc. manage to wrangle jobs for themselves in the Army.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I have heard that all Arab soldiers in general, are slobs. By "Arab", I refer to Saudi, Kuwait, Jordan, Egypt, etc. A prime reason is severe nepotism in every sphere of life, including the armed forces. An Army officer's job is "respectable" in Saudi society, as opposed to several other jobs that are exclusively performed by immigrants. Hence, people connected to the royal family etc. manage to wrangle jobs for themselves in the Army.
A far cry from the lean.mean desert warriors who probably established the second largest empire in history after genghis Khan.

Illusive

Country flag
These are just threats, Iran cant be so foolish to announce such maneuvers to a opposition a like US, like they aint gonna take counter measures. Iran is kinda behaving like pakistan. Being a regional suicide bomber isn't going to help when your rival is US.

If there is war in future, then India's non alignment policy will be tested, cause the stakes are high(oil from iran, tech from Israel) and China wont be sitting idle either.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
These are just threats, Iran cant be so foolish to announce such maneuvers to a opposition a like US, like they aint gonna take counter measures. Iran is kinda behaving like pakistan. Being a regional suicide bomber isn't going to help when your rival is US.

If there is war in future, then India's non alignment policy will be tested, cause the stakes are high(oil from iran, tech from Israel) and China wont be sitting idle either.

Iran is the first country who does not like to see a real shooting war erupt. Iranians actually have more to gain from sabre rattling and everything to lose by war...

pmaitra

A troll is one who just mouthes of things without actually being capable to do so in real life and who knows his actions will sooner,rather than later will get him banned and yet he indulges in those.

Iran fits the bill perfectly. It knows it can't do jack of closing the Hormuz especially with the 5th fleet stationed there and will get shitted all over if it tried to do so..and yet indulges in verbal bravado.

I have real respect for the Persians, but these Iranis are just making a laughing stock out of themselves with these tall claims.
I have a slightly different understanding of the term troll - "... a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community ..." (Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

In any case, I think both Iran and the US have been making inflammatory comments, so both are trolling each other.

Iran does not stand a chance in a direct confrontation with the US and they know that. I wonder what gives them so much courage and audacity? What role are Russia and PRC playing here? Who gains most by cutting off Hormuz traffic?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles