Iran considers attacks on terrorists inside Pakistan

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
By supplying weapons to the Iranians any victory by the Pakistanis will be a loss for the Russians and the Chinese;it will give USA another avenue to Central Asia.
You bring up a very good point. But I think Russia will play a mostly backseat role in this conflict, because it is mostly about oil/natural gas flowing out of the Middle East, which doesn't matter to Russia because of its own huge fossil fuel reserves. Still, I will not be surprised by covert support from Moscow to Tehran.

This is an interesting video about the current situation:

A war between Pakistan and Iran will be military inconclusive, as I don't think either side has enough strength to inflict a serious defeat on the other. However, what it will do is incite nationalistic feelings among the Balochis. The Balochis are sick and tired of 60+ years of Pakjabi rule, and they will definitely use a Pak-Iranian conflict as a guise for declaring independence. This would be the "trigger" for a civil war in Pakistan that has long been delayed.

The declaration of Balochi independence will also accomplish a long-standing US/NATO geopolitical objective: the dismemberment of the future energy corridor that is being developed between China and the Middle East. This corridor will be vital for China's growth and influence in the region.

Last edited by a moderator:

neo29

This is interesting ... India must support make sure that Iran does take action. China will not go against Iran. US cant stop Iran.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Look this at another angle. May be U.S. is using IRAN to attack Pakistan instead of U.S. attacking Pakistan directly and getting a bad name of attacking their allies.............:emot15:

sandeepdg

My two cents worth ! I think if Iran does go for a war with Pakistan, it does benefit India in some ways. It diverts their resources from the eastern border, thereby decreasing their involvement with the jehadis. Plus there might a solution to the Balochistan problem if that happens. But there's a chance that the PA might be foolish enough to open a second front, then it will a havoc on Pakistan from both sides of its border, and they can in no way tackle a two front war, especially when both the adversaries are more powerful than them. But the Russians and the Chinese won't get involved directly, but there's a possibility that Russia will extend all help it can to the Iranians and Americans will do the same to Pakistanis. China, I think will love to stay neutral as there are high stakes involved for them in both Iran and Pakistan. So, again this will be rerun to the Cold War era, with both the US and Russia helping out their stooges for possible gains in Central Asia: oil and gas !

indian_blues

Country flag
I think we Indians are excited too much with the news, I'm sure there not going to be any conflict with Iran and Pakistan, mullah's talk a lot. USA simply won't allow it happen.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Are they out of their minds? Pakistan might be a joke for us but they are too much for Iranians who still use WW2 tactics of human waves and trench warfare. Not to mention, their obsolete war machinery and their limited capability to strike Iran. Remember that Pakistan is badly cornered and will consider any intrusion into its territory by either us or Iranians as invasion. Unless and until Iran's mullahs want to go on a suicide mission for their soldiers, they can try it. Although I will be glad if this happens, it will simply escalate to a conflict level from a counter-terrorist operation because of Pakistanis' unbalanced and emotionally unstable nature.

Instead of wasting tactics on Israel, Iran should use its Hizbollah tactics in Pakistan as a "taste of own medicine". It is far more feasible than outright invasion of Pakistan. Even as a failed state, Pakistani military is too strong for Iranian military.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
exactly true the US will make pakistan fight for them and when you think about it strategically its a bad option for indian , 2 days into the war pakistan will try andcblackmail the US , divert funds for the war to target india and kashmir in particular also getiing a war machinery running once such a war ends the entire machinery will be foccused on kashmir , its a bad bad thing for india
A.V, I don't think that Pakistan can possibly consider diverting funds towards India in case of an Iranian invasion. That would simply be giving 2 elements an excuse to tear Pakistan into smaller size: 1) Balochistan province as a whole 2) Letting Iran to possibly annex some territory in the process. This is since Balochistan is the least militarized front of Pakistan. Pakistan will never focus on Kashmir because no matter how pussy a government we have right now, after the debacle 2 years ago, a retaliatory strike will be applied and even USA won't be able to stop this.

This would simply give IA an excuse to experiment with Cold Start.

India will never open a second front but Pakistan might be stupid enough to do so.

Their survival plan is: Whoever attacks Pakistan, attack/blackmail India.
That would seal their fate dude. They won't do that this time but the new tactic of keeping the gun on their own head and asking EU and NATO to intervene.

IBM

Yalgaar ho!!!!! What Iran is waiting for. I think India should play its part and do something, sort of collab between Iran- India-Nato, US, to attack pak. If US improve relation with Iran with the help of India than US will be less dependent on pak for its supplies, which pak blackmail USA till now. Break balouchitan from pak merge with afganistan. thats the only solution to war on terror.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
An interesting situation from a purely geostrategic angle.

Pakistan will have five issues to contend with.

India to the East, Aghanistan to the NW, Iran to the West and their own ISI organised Pashtun Taliban and the Punjab Taliban.

All this confusion will make Paksistan Army deployed all around and in penny packets so to say, thereby going against the Principles of War - Selection and Maintenance of Aim, Concentration of Force and Economy of Effort.

Ideal for total chaos!

In such a situation, Pakistan will not be able to attack anyone since her reserves would be totally committed.

And if the separatist forces in Pakistan take advantage of the situation, then Pakistan will be in dire straits.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles