Investigation: Nuclear scandal - Abdul Qadeer Khan

qsaark

I have never talked responsibility in terms of killing people in other ways but in terms of containing nuclear proliferation in not transferring nuclear weapons technology deliberately to other countries like China did to Pakistan and Pakistan did to NoKo, Libya and Iran.
As I mentioned earlier, US did provide UK with the material plus know-how. It even provided UK with the delivery system. UK in turn provided France with know-how which in turn provided it to Israel. Russians also managed to steal the secrets from Los Alamos which she provided to China. India and South Africa benefited from all the these sources plus the black market. So nobody is an angel in this, and all have stains on their hands.

Its an assumption based on likelihood because of their close relationship with terrorist organizations.
Things are much more complicated than that. Pakistan is supporting the Kashmiri insurgents but never gave them anything better than Machine Guns. Helicopter Gunships have caused a lots of damage to the Kashmiri insurgents but Pakistan never provided them with the shoulder mounted SAMs. Nations or more correctly the regimes do fight proxy wars but there is generally a limit of how far one can go. Pakistan or the other nations you have named are not the USA or Russia who could sponsor proxy war at the scale of Vietnam or Afghan wars and than could getaway unharmed. The whole idea that Pakistan or any of these countries could provide the terrorists with thermo nuclear device is extremely hypothetical and massively exaggerated. We have seen how the USA responded to the 9/11. Two countries were literally sent back to the Stone Age without any trial. Yet thinking that certain countries would provide thermonuclear device to the terrorist organizations is gross imagination.

May be, but it hasn't happened even after soviet union breakdown and nothing is known of their proliferation activities either.
We don’t know or do we? There have been reports surfaced every now and than that many of those nuclear Scientists are now working in North Korea, Iran, and other places. Intelligence and security agencies have also ceased several shipments of alleged material en route to several European countries.

I don't see any harm when India can have relationship with a country which sponsors terrorism and kills its citizens. These countries doesn't harm India at least by arms length but they may harm the other part of the world, which is of a bit concern.
I am not talking about simple relationships, but cordial ones. India has a history of cordial relationships with the Arab States including Libya and Syria from 1950s onwards as well with Iran. India’s relationships with these countries are simply not comparable with Pakistan.

Despite closeness India or Soviet Union, they didn't provide them with Nuclear weapons, while on the other hand Pakistan made deals with this and other countries to sell weapon designs, know how, technology, centrifuges, components, nuclear material. If you think I'm bluffing, please go through these articles. There are thousands of them. I can provide more if you want. There are also two nice books you can read which are available on Amazon.
There is no evidence of providing any country with the blue prints of the thermonuclear devices or the warheads etc. The links you are provided are all unofficial and can not be presented as proof. If what you are saying was correct, the USA and her allies would have attacked Pakistan with the full support of the UN. These allegations were never made even by the US administrations so leave it here till better evidence is surfaced.

Of course it didn't commit a crime legally as such but why it proliferates clandestinely then and why it puts all the blame on AQ Khan then. Because it is morally not right owing to the fact that the havoc these weapons can cause. There are consequences for proliferating. Your country has become a nuclear pariah. You are not offered a nuke deal nor given NSG waiver like they did to India.
Indeed it is morally not right. Hence I fully support that the culprits whoever they are must be brought to justice.

Of course every country has a right to possess a deterrent and have a nuclear weapon provided they do the hard work to achieve it and can make it themselves but not by buying from nuclear supermarket. If Pakistan were supermarket, most of the countries in this world can afford to buy nuclear weapons, Libya bought most of tech from Pakistan for just 100 million dollars or so.
That is exactly what Libya, Iran and N-Korea were doing. They bought the blueprints of the centrifuges and related know-how from Pakistan. I will repeat myself again, Pakistan is never accused for selling the blue prints of the thermonuclear devices or the fully or even partially assembled devices, Neutron Initiators, or the cores etc or the warheads to any country at least as yet.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
fullstory

A Q Khan mum on veracity of letter sparking N-row

Islamabad, Sep 24 (PTI) Disgraced Pakistani nuclear scientist A Q Khan has declined to comment on the veracity of a letter he allegedly wrote to his Dutch wife five years ago and whose contents have stirred a fresh controversy about his role in nuclear proliferation.

Excerpts from the letter were recently published by the Sunday Times of London. "I cannot comment on the report of Sunday Times because I have so far not gone through it," Khan said.

"As the matter of my alleged involvement in nuclear proliferation is sub-judice, I cannot comment on the new media report," he told the Dawn newspaper.

Revelations made in the letter prompted an immediate reaction from the US, which said that Khan was still a "risk for proliferation".

According to the Sunday Times, a copy of the four-page letter was also recovered from Khan?s daughter by Dutch intelligence agents in 2004.

RPK

Indyakudimahan
Country flag
Musharraf gave ‘sensitive N-information’ to US: AQ Khan

Lahore: Confirming a recent report published in one of the leading US dailies, disgraced Pakistan nuclear scientist Dr AQ Khan has claimed that former president General Pervez Musharraf had provided ‘sensitive information relating to Pakistan’s atomic programme’ to the US.

Khan said he has evidence regarding the transfer and could table the same in front of a court of law.

It may be noted that Khan had sensationally revealed that China had provided weapons-grade uranium, sufficient for making two atomic bombs, to Pakistan in 1982.

According to Khan’s accounts in The Washington Post, the transfer of nuclear fuel was ‘part of a broad-ranging, secret nuclear deal approved years earlier by Mao Zedong and prime minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto that culminated in an exceptional, deliberate act of proliferation by a nuclear power

Khan said that Musharraf was ready to hand over him to the US, but was prevented from doing so, as the then prime minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali refused to sign the ‘exit orders’.

“The then prime minister Mir Zafarullah Khan Jamali had himself confided that he was under severe pressure to sign my exit order, which he refused after taking the federal cabinet into confidence. Musharraf kept a C-130 plane ready to fulfil his nefarious designs,” The News quoted Khan, as saying.

Describing Musharraf as an American stooge’, Khan said people must be made aware about the truth regarding the nuke details handover.

He demanded an inquiry and trial against Musharraf, saying it was an open secret that the former General had deep-rooted contacts with Israel and other countries.

“God knows how many secrets he had transferred to them,” Khan said.

He admitted that Musharraf had given him number of responsibilities during his tenure, but demanded to make his confessional statement public or record it afresh, so that the truth comes out.

ppgj

Pak helped North Korea build nuke weapons as early as 1990: report

PTI Washington, December 28, 2009

Pakistan's nuclear scientist Abdul Qadeer Khan talks to the media in Islamabad. File photo.

North Korea, with the help of Pakistan, may have opened an alternative way to clandestinely build nuclear weapons as early as 1990s by constructing a plant to manufacture a gas needed for uranium enrichment.

Pyongyang may have been enriching uranium on a small scale by 2002, with maybe 3,000 or even more centrifuges and Pakistani supplied vital machinery, drawings and technical advice, The Washington Post has reported citing an account by Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, the father of Pakistan’s atomic bomb programme.

The Post quoting a US intelligence official said Khan’s information adds to their suspicions that North Korea has long pursued the enrichment of uranium in addition to making plutonium for bombs.

The paper quoted the Pakistani scientist as saying that there was tacit agreement between the two governments that his laboratory “would advice and guide them with a centrifuge programme and that the North Koreans would help Pakistan in fitting the nuclear warhead into the Ghauri missile“.

The paper quoted Dr. Khan as saying that during his visit to North Korea in 1999, he was taken to a mountain tunnel, where his source had showed him components of three finished nuclear warheads.

The Hindu : News / International : Pak helped North Korea build nuke weapons as early as 1990: report

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles