Interesting Times: Taliban Threaten to Attack MQM

Rage

DFI TEAM
Interesting Times: Taliban Threaten to Attack MQM in Karachi!

Shri. Altaf Hussain and his band of party wanksters have interested me ever since he said the partition of Independent India was a mistake.

On the other hand, the Taliban are starting to interest me now that they have pledged open support for the BLA and the freedom fighters of Sindhodesh.

There's a storm coming. And it's heading south to the port city.

-x-x-x-x-x-

Pakistani Taliban threaten to target MQM

Press Trust of India l Reporting from Islamabad, November 02, 2012, 22:55 PST

The Pakistan Taliban today threatened to launch attacks on the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), the largest political party in Karachi, to "free the oppressed people of the city from the hold of the tyrants".

The Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has announced its decision "to liberate Karachi" from the Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM), adding that "every step would be taken against them."

In a statement issued on Friday, TTP spokesperson Ehsanullah Ehsan said that the decision has been taken to set the people of Karachi free from the clutches of "these persecutors".

Furthermore, Ehsan called on the leaders of all nationalist parties, including the Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) and Sindh Liberation Army, to struggle for their rights in "an Islamic way".

The MQM has been a vocal critic of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) and had organised a huge rally last month to condemn the Taliban attack on 15-year-old Malala Yousafzai in Swat valley.

MQM leaders also claimed that Taliban have sneaked into Karachi, its stronghold, and were involved in terrorist and criminal acts.

"We have decided to deal with the brutal, apostate MQM, which has occupied Karachi. We will show no mercy on the group," Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan said in his statement.

"We have taken the decision to free the oppressed people of Karachi from the hold of the tyrants. We are with every oppressed people," he said. The Pakistani Taliban spokesman also announced opposition to the upcoming parliamentary elections.

Earlier, MQM had announced that it would hold a referendum throughout Pakistan, urging people to vote on whether they want to live in a Pakistan run by the Taliban, or the one envisioned by Quaid-e-Azam.

"We want a Pakistan that does not discriminate based on religion but one envisioned by the Quaid-e-Azam. The referendum will go ahead next week," said MQM leader Faisal Subzwari.

The TTP's statement said: "Islam protects everyone's right and you (nationalist parties) are passing through dark ages of oppression and this shackle of suppression has to be broken down".

The spokesman also called out to Pakistan's judges to work for an Islamic system.

Pakistani Taliban threaten to target MQM | Business Standard
Pakistani Taliban threaten to target MQM | DAWN.COM
Warning: Taliban threaten action against MQM – The Express Tribune
Taliban threaten to target MQM | The Nation

-x-x-x-x-

"The idea of Pakistan was dead at its inception, when the majority of Muslims chose to stay back after partition, a truism reiterated itself in the creation of Bangladesh in 1971."

- Altaf Hussain

Some key points for discussion:

- the impact of this, and any subsequent action, on Pakistani politics, economics and society
- the impact on India's interests in the region, including its own security
- the impact on radicalization in the region and the global war on terrorism
- the impact on third party state interests, including on US supply lines running through the region.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
terrorist killing terrorists?

now this is a good news
You really think so?? The last thing you need is a pitched battle between two ideologically assymetrical (one thoroughly ideologically dysfunctional!) armed-to-the-teeth groups in the streets of your biggest city, that contributes upto 70% of your Government's revenues and about 25% of your economy. I don't know. Jus sayin'.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Interesting Times: Taliban Threaten to Attack MQM in Karachi!

Shri. Altaf Hussain and his band of party wanksters have interested me ever since he said the partition of Independent India was a mistake.

On the other hand, the Taliban are starting to interest me now that they have pledged open support for the BLA and the freedom fighters of Sindhodesh.

There's a storm coming. And it's heading south to the port city.
While at the outset if sounds good that someone has come out in support of the BLA, but the ones behind the support scares the hell out of me. BLA should openly refuse the support of the Taliban and so should the Sindhudesh freedom fighters. Both of these peoples profess secularism and want their land and want nothing to do with any fanatic religious stuff.

The intolerance is certainly on the rise in Pakistan over the last few years. Sooner or later i feel the international community will be forced to step in.

Tolaha

Pushtoons vs Mohajirs :popcorn:

At times I do think that if only we had the RAW of pre-IK Gujral times! But then, why do we need anybody to do a job Pakistanis are so good at!

Tolaha

Yup Taliban terrorists killing the terrorists of Pak Army.
Correction. Both groups of terrorists had the Pakistan Army as their "mai-baap" at different times IIRC! So you could call it as a war between 2 erstwhile factions of PA!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Correction. Both groups of terrorists had the Pakistan Army as their "mai-baap" at different times IIRC! So you could call it as a war between 2 erstwhile factions of PA!
BLA is not a terrorist group and have nothing to do with PA.

Rage

DFI TEAM
My bet's on the mohajirs. Only because the Taliban will be battling the MQM on their own turf. And urban-heckling, city target killings and assassinations and plying the urban-political nexus are things the MQM excels at. In terms of representation in the city of Karachi, the MQM is like the pre-Manase Shiv Sena; you can't sneak into their city or go hossin' around in it without their consent.

News reports coming in from the station suggest that upto 7000 Taliban may have snuck into the ethnically Pashtun ANP-dominated areas of the city in the last few months. Now if that report holds any weight, that's a helluvalot!

My guess is that this war will be slow and trickling, a war of attrition that will seriously hurt ethnic relations, economic sentiment and politics over the long-run. Not to mention bring about a serious radicalization of the city and area.

And ah yes! The RAW!

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
You really think so?? The last thing you need is a pitched battle between two ideologically assymetrical (one thoroughly ideologically dysfunctional!) armed-to-the-teeth groups in the streets of your biggest city, that contributes upto 70% of your Government's revenues and about 25% of your economy. I don't know. Jus sayin'.
all the mess in karachi is created by them

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
i dnt think such statement would give you a certificate of patrioric indians
i seek none.

What i say is a fact. Pak Army is the biggest terror organization in the world.

Rage

DFI TEAM
all the mess in karachi is created by them
I don't think that without the mohajirs, who have the best work ethic in Pakistan btw, Karachi would be half the city it is today.

The MQM's politics is bloody, no doubt. But name one other political party in Pakistan whose politics isn't? That it is more bloody can simply be explained (not justified) that it has larger interests at stake.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
I don't think that without the mohajirs, who have the best work ethic in Pakistan btw, Karachi would be half the city it is today.

The MQM's politics is bloody, no doubt. But name one other political party in Pakistan whose politics isn't? That it is more bloody can simply be explained (not justified) that it has larger interests at stake.
The mohajirs are nt bad people
the MQM group doesnt represent the mohajirs only.

Well even the PPP is alot better than them

i hope that they wont get a single seat in the next election

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
i seek none.

What i say is a fact. Pak Army is the biggest terror organization in the world.
Sad part your thinking doesnt matter.

so your wasting your time(lol this is compulsory for you guys)

Tolaha

MQM has been the only political entity that opposes Taliban. Such common-sense is rare among Pakistanis in general. So yes, I too hope they don't win a single seat. I don't have any issues with guys like Imran Khan winning though. Should be the final nail on the coffin!

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Sad part your thinking doesnt matter.

so your wasting your time(lol this is compulsory for you guys)

Why does his thinking not matter?

What is it with you and speaking for all S Asia's muslims? Have you been able to utter a coherent word for yourselves so far?

And the MQM may have dropped the term Mohajir (Migrant) and replaced it with Muttahida (United), but you and I both know that is rhetoric, and the party is immotilely rooted in its APMSO roots.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Why does his thinking not matter?

What is it with you and speaking for all S Asia's muslims? Have you been able to utter a coherent word for yourselves so far?

And the MQM may have dropped the term Mohajir (Migrant) and replaced it with Muttahida (United), but you and I both know that is rhetoric, and the party is immotilely rooted in its APMSO roots.
well does he has any clear proof of calling pak army terrorist?..even USA directly could nt say such after OBL raid.and never expect such bold statement from GOI officials ever..the reason i said his statement doesnt has any value.and is more of wasting his time.

well i speak for muslims nt him.

well throughout pakistan acknowledged the mistakes they made last time.
media played a key role in exposing the real target killer from MQM group.
I would rate taliban better than MQM.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@farhan_9909 it really boils down to technicality when the state of Pakistan has all but being declared a terrorist country.

Last edited by a moderator:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
MQM like the PPP, the ANP and few of the separatist nationalist parties in Baluchistan and Sindh are a handful secular parties in Pakistan. It is the ANP which has risen its' voice against the TTP terror, and now it's the MQM.

If one looked at the Malala incident, of all the parties in Pakistan, it has just been the MQM which has said what ought to be said, rest have played politics on the issue by giving dilly dally statements.

Threat to MQM means direct threat to Pakistan's economy, because you can fight the MQM only in Karachi, which is where they are to be found. How will the MQM revert will be interesting, but if they do decide to do something to directly deal with the taliban, which can only be done using the army, I see some countries getting involved in this as a result.

My take is, Altaf Hussain under the pressure of the party carders, and like IK, will most likely chicken out and try and buy peace here by sending feelers through 3rd parties. For the TTP to flare up Karachi is no big deal, Pushtuns make a significant number of the population of the city, as such it is assumed that the Taliban have a presence there so doing an odd act of terror shouldn't be big enough a deal. Don't forget when Lahore was targeted by the TTP, Shabaz Sharif pleaded with the TTP to leave the city aside, and so the city was spared, and AH is most likely to follow suit.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles