Interesting Paradoxes

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
The Fermi Paradox:(Where are they now????)

The age of the universe and its vast number of stars suggest that unless the Earth is very atypical, extraterrestrial life should be common.In an informal discussion in 1950, the physicist Enrico Fermi questioned why, if a multitude of advanced extraterrestrial civilizations exists in the Milky Way galaxy, evidence such as spacecraft or probes is not seen. A more detailed examination of the implications of the topic began with a paper by Michael H. Hart in 1975, and it is sometimes referred to as the Fermi–Hart paradox. Other common names for the same phenomenon are Fermi's question ("Where are they?"), the Fermi Problem, the Great Silence and silentium universi (Latin for "the silence of the universe"; the misspelling silencium universi is also common).

There have been attempts to resolve the Fermi paradox by locating evidence of extraterrestrial civilizations, along with proposals that such life could exist without human knowledge. Counterarguments suggest that intelligent extraterrestrial life does not exist or occurs so rarely or briefly that humans will never make contact with it.

Starting with Hart, a great deal of effort has gone into developing scientific theories about, and possible models of, extraterrestrial life, and the Fermi paradox has become a theoretical reference point in much of this work. The problem has spawned numerous scholarly works addressing it directly, while questions that relate to it have been addressed in fields as diverse as astronomy, biology, ecology, and philosophy. The emerging field of astrobiology has brought an interdisciplinary approach to the Fermi paradox and the question of extraterrestrial life.
@Dovhkiin
This paradox also explains why the existence of Multi-verse is controversial... If there is Multi verse, why are we not experiencing anyone from other universes????

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
1. Ok first of all, Multi verse is not proved.. and it is very controversial... Even if it is there, It wont affect our universe....!!!!
Dude, these are all theories. Even time travel is not "proved"...it could be possible.

This paradox also explains why the existence of Multi-verse is controversial... If there is Multi verse, why are we not experiencing anyone from other universes????
That paradox says nothing about Multiverse :confused:

It merely tries to refute existence of extra terrestrial life....

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Dude, these are all theories. Even time travel is not "proved"...it could be possible.

That paradox says nothing about Multiverse :confused:

It merely tries to refute existence of extra terrestrial life....
I dint think i needed to explain it... If Multiverse was possible, why have we not recieved any one from other universes????:p:thumb:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I dint think i needed to explain it... If Multiverse was possible, why have we not recieved any one from other universes????
I'm not sure you're really versed with the idea of Multiverse. What the Theory of Multiverse(with reference to time travel) states is that an alteration in the existing time line would generate a new timeline. You won't enter a new universe but you'd continuing in a universe with the altered time line but at the point of your intervention it would have separated from the original timeline.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I dint think i needed to explain it... If Multiverse was possible, why have we not recieved any one from other universes????:p:thumb:
Oh so you are asking why some people have not come into our universe from another universe to kill some Gdaddy. Okay. Well, the story goes something like this: When you go into the past in a time machine, you don't just 'pop up' in some random universe what happens is an entire new (parallel) universe is created in which up to the point of time you enter the time machine remains the same but everything from thereon changes. Yeah it is some weird sh!t. But I blame discovery channel shows and that Michio Kaku dude. They started it. :namaste:

Vyom

Seeker
Accidentally came into being ??? :shocked:
Apple falling on the ground is not accident, the squirrel eating the apple is not accident, the seeds coming in contact with the soil is not accident the rain is not accident, the growth of the apple tree is not accident. It is called science. It is the way nature works.
Do you know about the Anthropic Principle?

I do not understand what you mean here. Please explain.
What is that you want me to explain, please be specific.

Vyom

Seeker
Please show me this proof. 'Ignorant' means lacking knowledge or awareness. It does not mean 'id!ot' or 'ret@rd'. So yes I am ignorant of this proof, show me this proof.
Yes, I never meant retard. I cannot show you the proof because of two reasons: it is is too vast a topic and a person needs a certain level of understanding to gather the explanation.

Realization is a much easier path though.

Last edited:

Vyom

Seeker
Whats proved I never saw any god banging my door...!!!! But no one can argue with a religious type, It will be like an argument between a five yr old and scientist....:frusty::frusty:
Ha Ha! Who is the five year old here? :p

Vyom

Seeker

The dimensions cannot intersect.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Oh so you are asking why some people have not come into our universe from another universe to kill some Gdaddy. Okay. Well, the story goes something like this: When you go into the past in a time machine, you don't just 'pop up' in some random universe what happens is an entire new (parallel) universe is created in which up to the point of time you enter the time machine remains the same but everything from thereon changes. Yeah it is some weird sh!t. But I blame discovery channel shows and that Michio Kaku dude. They started it. :namaste:
I'm not sure you're really versed with the idea of Multiverse. What the Theory of Multiverse(with reference to time travel) states is that an alteration in the existing time line would generate a new timeline. You won't enter a new universe but you'd continuing in a universe with the altered time line but at the point of your intervention it would have separated from the original timeline.
Hey you probably dint understand the multiverse theory fully....!!!! You see according to multi verse theory, there are about thousands of parallel unverse, not just the one you create...

Also even by your statement, the time travel should have been possible and it will lead to several parallel ones and it creating parallelism is true, then we could have well been a parallel universe, and it can also mean travel to our universe, without any paradox, hence it should have been possible but it has not happened has it???? Understand fully what i mean????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse#Cyclic_theories

Last edited:

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Hey you probably dint understand the multiverse theory fully....!!!! You see according to multi verse theory, there are about thousands of parallel unverse, not just the one you create...
That is an incomplete interpretation. The theory explicitly mentions that with each second new universes are being created.

The many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is the idea that all possible alternate histories of the universe actually exist. At every point in time, the universe splits into a multitude of existences in which every possible outcome of each quantum process actually happens.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Also even by your statement, the time travel should have been possible and it will lead to several parallel ones and it creating parallelism is true, then we could have well been a parallel universe, and it can also mean travel to our universe, without any paradox, hence it should have been possible but it has not happened has it???? Understand fully what i mean????
Dude I seriously did not understand a word!!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Dude I seriously did not understand a word!!
1. exactly, it splits every second and so it is a paradox, if it occurs in the only provable universe!!!!! within the laws of physics!!!!

2. What i meant was, if going back in time in such a way that it alters the outcome is possible and creates a parallel univ, then the alternate whcih is about going back in time within the logical reality, such that, it does not create a parallel one is also possible!!!! hence we should have met people from the other universe, but we have not hence there is no such thing as that... Period....

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
1. exactly, it splits every second and so it is a paradox
How is it a paradox?

2. What i meant was, if going back in time in such a way that it alters the outcome is possible and creates a parallel univ, then the alternate whcih is about going back in time within the logical reality, such that, it does not create a parallel one is also possible!!!! hence we should have met people from the other universe, but we have not hence there is no such thing as that... Period....
Our reality is singular, it is made up of unique combination of different quantum variables. In sense that you can exist in only one universe at a time, as Vyom said, parallel universes, as the name suggests cannot intersect.

Last edited:

warriorextreme

Country flag
Here is another one

The Grandfather paradox:

Supposing that you had an abusive Grand father who abused your father into abusing you... so he becomes responsible for your miseries and you want to rid of him and you discover a time machine.... Now trying to kill him becomes a paradox because....:

You use the time machine and you go into your past and kill your grand father... But If you had killed your Grandfather, you will have no father, meaning you are not born meaning you could not have invented time machine and gone back in time and so you could not have Killed your Grandfather and so Your Grand father lives which will make him abusive and History will be unchanged......

This is a form of redundancy in logic to prevent us from rigging the time frame....:cool2::cool2:
do not think of time as a continuous line...i saw this on discovery channel..according to this theory one can be born in 1940 and can die in 1840 or any year before that or after that...some lost(TV series) episodes also talk about the same

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
How is it a paradox?

Our reality is singular, it is made up of unique combination of different quantum variable. In sense that you can exist in only one universe at a time, as Vyom said, parallel universes, as the name suggests cannot intersect.
And so this inter travel between universes cant qualify as Time travel can it?????

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles