Interesting fact about China

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
In china they call India as Yindu just as we call them cheen.
Chinese call their country as Zhonggou which literally means the middle kingdom!

Tianzhu (天竺) Chinese name for ancient India, translates roughly to "heaven center".

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
The correct way to spell China is Zhong Guo.

Sent from my T8830 using Tapatalk 2

p2prada

Give a detailed description what you are saying......
He just pointed out two names for India, modern and ancient.

Yin du - 印度 ... India

Tian zhu - 天竺 ... Ancient India

Due to the birth of Buddhism in India, the region became a sacred place for the Chinese. That's why the reference to 天 which means sky or heaven.

We had an overly cool status in China and Japan during the time.

Even the Japanese call it Tenjiku - 天竺 where Ten(天) means Heaven.

no smoking

Country flag
He just pointed out two names for India, modern and ancient.

Yin du - 印度 ... India

Tian zhu - 天竺 ... Ancient India

Due to the birth of Buddhism in India, the region became a sacred place for the Chinese. That's why the reference to 天 which means sky or heaven.

We had an overly cool status in China and Japan during the time.

Even the Japanese call it Tenjiku - 天竺 where Ten(天) means Heaven.
No, it is due to the old chinese pronunciation of "Sindhu", which started from 身毒 (shen du--Body poison), then 天毒 (Tian du--Heaven poison), finally 天竺 (Tian zhu). It has nothing to do with Buddhism!

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
No, it is due to the old chinese pronunciation of "Sindhu", which started from 身毒 (shen du--Body poison), then 天毒 (Tian du--Heaven poison), finally 天竺 (Tian zhu). It has nothing to do with Buddhism!
Shendu is also an ancient name for the region associated with India (Sindhu river). But it is different from Tianzhu. I believe Shendu is a more ancient term, but Tianzhu did not evolve out of it.

pmaitra

India is a Gift! :D

[Gift in German means poison.]

no smoking

Country flag
Shendu is also an ancient name for the region associated with India (Sindhu river). But it is different from Tianzhu. I believe Shendu is a more ancient term, but Tianzhu did not evolve out of it.
According ancient chinese books, it is hard to verify whether or not Tianzhu evolved from Shendu. But Shendu was the first name of india can be found in oldest book. But to the ancient chinese in certain period, they repensented the same period. After all, you cannot expect those ancient people have detailed geographic knowledge of a territory tens thousands miles away!

chase

Tihar Jail
Banned
that is a nice name. also has "heaven" in it like my username.
Tian = heaven
shan = elegant bearing?

Tianshan= heavenly/beautiful elegance ?

Also i have head that chinese language is pictorial and somebody told me that in chinese if you have to show argument then you show 2 women sitting beneath a tree?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
According ancient chinese books, it is hard to verify whether or not Tianzhu evolved from Shendu.
Well, I'm not a historian, but historians don't seem to have found a link, such as the one you mention, between the words, 'Shendu' and 'Tianzhu'. If you can provide some proof, that would be great.

But Shendu was the first name of india can be found in oldest book.
Read my earlier post, I already know that Shendu is older. But being more ancient does not necessarily mean that Tianzhu evolved from Shendu.

But to the ancient chinese in certain period, they repensented the same period. After all, you cannot expect those ancient people have detailed geographic knowledge of a territory tens thousands miles away!
Don't understand what you mean and it's relation to your argument.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Tian = heaven
shan = elegant bearing?

Tianshan= heavenly/beautiful elegance ?

Also i have head that chinese language is pictorial and somebody told me that in chinese if you have to show argument then you show 2 women sitting beneath a tree?
TianShan refers to the Tian Shan Mountain range.
Tian => Heavenly
Shan => Mountains.
:)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles