INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by pavanvenkatesh, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Lets really hope JVPC exhibits better quality than INSAS family ! If Quality turns out to be bad, instead of shelving the orders, need to transfer the design and manufacturing lines to pvt players so that a local weapon does not die (again !)

2. Gessler

Gessler Senior Member Senior Member

500 rifles for Rs. 3.84 crores?

3.84 crores = $ 535,276

So the deal value translates to approximately $ 1,070 per rifle....for a INSAS :facepalm:

Forgive me for asking but...why are we celebrating this blatant rip-off of forces/police depts' capital expenditure?

And INSAS is already in bulk production for long time so the 'price will come down once mass production starts' argument that some OFB fanboys used to justify the exorbitant $1121 price tag for R2 rifle does not have any standing in this instance.

Just in case people have forgotten some points I made previously in this forum aimed at giving a little perspective to this madness...

> US Army buys their FN-made M4A1 carbines for $ 473 a piece.

Granted, the bulk orders give them leeway to reduce the price, but a retail M4A1 from a less name-brand manufacturer (take Palmeto State Armory AR-15s for example) even with the $200 tax stamp for full-auto model, comes in significantly cheaper (around $650-700) than this $1070 that our beloved OFB is charging our Police Depts for what is, quality-wise, a not so great rifle (and that's being generous) with little to no modern features whatsoever.

[​IMG]

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...lassic-ar-15-rifle-13-5-m-lok-rail-black.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...reedom-rifle-olive-drab-green-5165450007.html

> IA is buying SIG-made 716G2 rifles for $ 990 a pop...which is a 7.62 rifle from another name-brand manufacturer.

I'm sorry guys but if we are really buying INSAS rifles for well over 1,000 dollars a piece that is Exhibit A of why OFB hegemony needs to END, NOW.

++++

Coming to the ammo...I'm assuming the rounds are 5.56x45mm for the INSAS?

151,000 rounds for 78 lakhs = $ 108,635 total value at 71 cents a round - which I'm assuming are Ball ammo (a.k.a FMJ).

A single 5.56 FMJ ball (60-70 grain) in US retail market costs in the neighbourhood of 35 cents. And that's retail...bulk orders usually go down to between 20-30 cents per.

Another rip-off with regard to the Ammunition as well...and all for what is pretty well established to be not-so-great quality of ammo (have heard OFB rounds are notoriously overgassed (powder quantity above spec), and of dubious purity (leading to many malfunctions in the weapon).

:facepalm: please let me know if ive made any errors...I sure hope I have, otherwise it only goes to confirm what I've been saying for long...the Ordnance Factories are RIPPING OFF the taxpayer, sending the CAPEX of everyone from MoD to MHA down the drain, and all the while offering up equipment of below par standards.

3. ALBY

ALBY Elite Member Elite Member

Thanks for writing this.I too wanted to highlight the issue, but was too lazy and busy to write anything on crappy Insas.
    Buying either ghatak or TAR would have made sense, but buying Insas for police forces at such high prices was totally unjust
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/englis...se-500-guns-1-5-lakh-bullets-kerala-1.4051335

4. Sandeep0159

Sandeep0159 Senior Member

The moment I read that news I was dumbstruck. These Ordnance Factories r literally fleecing the services and law enforcement agencies.

Hemu Vikram Aditya likes this.
  5. And they are proceeding with their strike too ! The gall . High time for kadi ninda to take steps to privatize OFB

6. Shaitan

Shaitan Zandu balm all day Senior Member

7. vampyrbladez

vampyrbladez Senior Member Senior Member

For reference MoD is holding up the CAR 816 deal because the rifles cost $1150 a piece vs a SIG 716 costing only $990. The INSAS also chambered in 5.56x45 mm costs $1070 with no full auto and an absolutely horrid design philosophy!

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9131

https://www.armyrecognition.com/may...my_must_again_wait_more_for_new_carbines.html

8. Shaitan

The hilarious thing is that this should be so easy. Small arms should be approached just like ATAGS, with ARDE producing something like MCIWS family with the private sector. I have some faith Bharat Forge and ARDE can produce something decent. This will never happen now with OFB/AK203 and private sector/outside designs.

At this point I dont care if the whole INSAS family can go and the private sector can produce whatever outside OEM designs they want. If it means bringing in more competition, modern small arms and methodologies.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  9. ALBY

Dont know about OFB made ones, but the bulgarian Aks were priced at around 25k.

10. uoftotaku

uoftotaku Regular Member

I hope you mean 25k INR...cause the AR-M1 is available at $450-$500...bulk order discount of 20-25% is given on orders of more than 1500 units

11. Gessler

SIG Sauer M400 Elite

[​IMG]

...a direct impingement AR-15 from a boutique name-brand manufacturer...

usually retailing between $880 and $999...cheaper than a INSAS-1B of so-so quality (if QA/QC get lucky) from a company which has the direct opposite of the term 'brand value'! :laugh:

12. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

13. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

VIP, Bleh, Hemu Vikram Aditya and 5 others like this.
  14. Shaitan

No, I mean the ofb ones._________________

15. ALBY

Dont know. Insas were sold at 22k or 26k INR per peice couple of years back which still was couole of thousands costlier than bulgarian ARM1s. Dont know how they could rifles at almost 4 times that price to police forces

16. Gessler

Far as I know, INSAS costing ~25k is history of early 2000s period.

Today price (for Army) is approx. 50-55k.

@binayak95

binayak95 likes this.
  17. varun9509

varun9509 Regular Member

Does this mean OFB will turn into public private partnership?

Sent from my YU5510 using Tapatalk

18. vampyrbladez

vampyrbladez Senior Member Senior Member

Bye OFB. You can chimp out all you want but soon you will be sacked in thousands.

varun9509 and Holy Triad like this.
  19. binayak95

binayak95 Senior Member Senior Member

55k was for the 1B1 variants 3 years ago.

1C variant costs 70k. Bugger me if I know why.

aditya10r and Hemu Vikram Aditya like this.
  20. Shadow

Shadow Regular Member

Yup the govt is planning to corporatize OFB.