INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The video and audio quality is not good but at some points you can see the rifle when he cocks it. Looked better than INSAS to me.
Dont know how copy pastiing a 50 year old design even with out changing the basic defects like replacing the rear sights is designing

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag
The AK 203 does have a folding stock on closer inspection. However it is obvious that even an FAB defence stock is better than this one. The upper hand rail has also been replaced with a non picatinny rail sample. Only the 50 round AK 203 magazine, muzzle break / flash hider, pistol grip and dust cover picatinny rail till the gas block remains. Price should not exceed $800 per unit as is currently envisioned.
If Russians persist with $1000 figure, simply retrofit above changes to TAR and add the Trinetra weapon optics.

Butt stock is foldable like the AK 103.

Final features will be closer to the M5F41.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/feb...nic_assault_rifle_of_indian_armed_forces.html
You were right
Indian Army officials have asked them to remove retractable buttstock and upper hand guard with rails features. Also reported by the Army recognition. So we are going to get AK-203 with traditional AK-74/AK-103 stock.
EQHY3DFWAAcmQPK.jpg

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
https://www.armyrecognition.com/feb...nic_assault_rifle_of_indian_armed_forces.html
You were right
Indian Army officials have asked them to remove retractable buttstock and upper hand guard with rails features. Also reported by the Army recognition. So we are going to get AK-203 with traditional AK-74/AK-103 stock.
View attachment 43210
Wow.. Great foresight from IA, so that the assholes could release seperate tender for upper hand guards and collapsible stock to help their friends in Israel and also help themselves for their retirement funds. Army from the very beginning was not interested in fully featured Aks but vanila Ak103s, it was the insistence of Russians which forced IA to check on Ak203s.
Its understandable that men in support units like signals, supply corps, arty etc didnt need fully featured Aks, but denying infantry, RR and mechanised infantry units Ak203s with collapsible stocks and upper hand guards are absolute bullshit
Army is always 3 decades back in its thinking.

Gessler

Country flag
You were right
View attachment 43210
Crazy.

"The AK-203 as intended for the Indian Armed Forces features some differences compared to the basic Russian assault rifle: the Indian AK-203 has received a folding buttstock (like that integrated with the AK-74M or AK-103 firearms), upper handguard without a Picatinny rail, and a standard plastic 30-round magazine with no clear window. At the same time, the assault rifle has retained its distinctive slotted muzzle brake. A cleaning rod has been mounted under the weapon’s barrel, in the AK-74M/AK-103 fashion."

Furthermore, no optics or anything as part of kit:

"The first AK-203 will be delivered in the baseline configuration, with IRRPL not planning to conduct any update of the basic configuration"

+++

Utterly disappointing. Cannot fathom why we would request removal of the collapsible stock & top rail on handguard. Not like the the new stock was gauged to be too fragile or anything (considering Russian Army is going for the same stock on AK-12) and not like the rail interferes with anything or changes the sight picture.

Gessler

Country flag
You were right
View attachment 43210
"The AK-203 as intended for the Indian Armed Forces features some differences compared to the basic Russian assault rifle: the Indian AK-203 has received a folding buttstock (like that integrated with the AK-74M or AK-103 firearms)"

Article is wrong here. The collapsible AK-203 stock is also very much foldable:

They trying to make it seem like side-folding is some feature unique to older 100-series non-collapsible stocks.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Wow.. Great foresight from IA, so that the assholes could release seperate tender for upper hand guards and collapsible stock to help their friends in Israel and also help themselves for their retirement funds. Army from the very beginning was not interested in fully featured Aks but vanila Ak103s, it was the insistence of Russians which forced IA to check on Ak203s.
Its understandable that men in support units like signals, supply corps, arty etc didnt need fully featured Aks, but denying infantry, RR and mechanised infantry units Ak203s with collapsible stocks and upper hand guards are absolute bullshit
Army is always 3 decades back in its thinking.
At this point Is it even worth Complaining.
The IA doesn't change its way even after a political shift, I thought they were corrupt because the ruling party allowed them but they haven't change their way even now.

And first of all how do they get away with bribes in the first place?
Is there no one monitoring them for corruption related activity.
If there is an officer who has nefarious contracts with foreign interests and vendors then he should be put to trial in military court.
Us shouting in the forum won't change anything, now it's governments jobs to fix the isssue and straighten out the procurement process.

Veiled V I P E R 2

Country flag
At this point Is it even worth Complaining.
The IA doesn't change its way even after a political shift, I thought they were corrupt because the ruling party allowed them but they haven't change their way even now.

And first of all how do they get away with bribes in the first place?
Is there no one monitoring them for corruption related activity.
If there is an officer who has nefarious contracts with foreign interests and vendors then he should be put to trial in military court.
Us shouting in the forum won't change anything, now it's governments jobs to fix the isssue and straighten out the procurement process.
Still I don't understand after so many years of INSAS replacement drama, why they choose 7.62/39mm rifle as a standard issue rifle without any field trial. You rightly said "Us shouting in the forum won't change anything". I have don't have any hope for the army.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Still I don't understand after so many years of INSAS replacement drama, why they choose 7.62/39mm rifle as a standard issue rifle without any field trial. You rightly said "Us shouting in the forum won't change anything". I have no hope for the army
Let's be real, it was a political favor. They scrapped the main tender, moved around requirements, then whole sale let the Russians win to supply bulk of the IA without zero competition. Utter disgrace.

Now, I have no problem with the AK - but if you're going to supply that many small arms, I would want a fair competitive trialing. How does this caliber, rifle compete with others in high altitude China specific areas? Or the plains in the west? We dont know.

After this AK203 deal, pretty much any other tender in my eyes can be screwed over.

They expect intense trials, modifications, back flips off of LEH mountain top from certain platforms and this gets the free pass.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles