INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

WolfPack86

Country flag
Now trials successfully over when will Indian army place order for the assault rifle.

republic_roi97

Country flag
Ishapore Assault Rifle 7.62x51 mm

View attachment 39024

Why doesn't the gun have a flip sight like the JVPC? ; also why isn't the BEL Trinetra Holographic/Laser/Reflex sights offered as an integrated package with the rifle?

We really need to look at the potential of JVPC/MSMC as an export to the private owners in USA and other liberal gun law countries. Also as an export weapon in general.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Have we discussed the topic anytime to check the possibility that maybe it’s not the merits of the foreign weapons offered for trails that’s determining the selection criteria rather it’s the OFB ammo’s compatibility that’s a major factor..

All types of ammo of same caliber don’t have the same outcome with the same rifle. Since foreign weapons don’t keep OFB ammo in mind while designing their weapon, compatibility is a matter of chance when the trials happen.

Am I making sense?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Have we discussed the topic anytime to check the possibility that maybe it’s not the merits of the foreign weapons offered for trails that’s determining the selection criteria rather it’s the OFB ammo’s compatibility that’s a major factor..

All types of ammo of same caliber don’t have the same outcome with the same rifle. Since foreign weapons don’t keep OFB ammo in mind while designing their weapon, compatibility is a matter of chance when the trials happen.

Am I making sense?
As per some one on this thread, OFB ammo has excess powder and thus ejected casings are rather hot due to higher barrel pressure.

Another (or same ?) poster said an INSAS 1B rifle slam fired and burst in their hands.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
As per some one on this thread, OFB ammo has excess powder and thus ejected casings are rather hot due to higher barrel pressure.

Another (or same ?) poster said an INSAS 1B rifle slam fired and burst in their hands.
I am not talking about specific incidents which happen with all weapon systems(I suppose) somewhere or the other.

uoftotaku

Country flag

Am I making sense?
One could realistically ask if the OFB themselves are even able to say for certain what "standard" their ammo production follows.

The 5.56mm round made for INSAS for example is wildly different from standard 5.56mm...its a 64.5 grain bullet whereas original M855 is 55 grain and new USF EPC round is 63 grain. One of the reasons OFB has had such trouble designing a 14.5 inch carbine barrel is that their own ammo behaves erratically in such a barrel. How does anyone expect foreign gun makers to conform? Why does anyone think SF prefers to import IMI 55 grain ammo for their Tavor's instead of using OFB supply?

uoftotaku

Country flag
So a new trend is emerging where MHA is the primary customer of OFB. Four things can be gathered from new thus far :

1) Trichy Assault Rifle to be used in place of AK 203 for the Armed Forces.

2) JVPC for CQB Carbine role in place of the CAR 816 Carbine for the Armed Forces.

3) Excalibur INSAS variants to have some orders in the near term to replace all INSAS 1B1 rifles.

4) 7.62 Ishapore Assault Rifle to be used in place of SIG 716 G2 Patrol for the Armed Forces.

This looks like a very well designed and excellent procurement plan. Hats off to MoD and MHA for using their brains for the first time in decades!
Indeed the MHA will become the largest and most important customer. As Kashmir and NE transition from MoD to MHA ambit for internal security the equipment levels of CAPFs will have to be sufficiently updated.

The Army will and should thankfully focus its efforts on purely war fighting capabilities rather than COIN

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

tharun

Patriot
Country flag

Well i will miss it, more will come in due time..

====================

Their are variation of 5.56mm, the one we use are heavier and meant to kill not wound.

The rounds from INSAS LMG are quite lethal up-to 650ms.
Can our 5.56 penetrate the level 3+ armor at that range?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Well i will miss it, more will come in due time..

====================

Their are variation of 5.56mm, the one we use are heavier and meant to kill not wound.

The rounds from INSAS LMG are quite lethal up-to 650ms.
These are SS109????????????????

Gessler

Country flag
One could realistically ask if the OFB themselves are even able to say for certain what "standard" their ammo production follows.

The 5.56mm round made for INSAS for example is wildly different from standard 5.56mm...its a 64.5 grain bullet whereas original M855 is 55 grain and new USF EPC round is 63 grain. One of the reasons OFB has had such trouble designing a 14.5 inch carbine barrel is that their own ammo behaves erratically in such a barrel. How does anyone expect foreign gun makers to conform? Why does anyone think SF prefers to import IMI 55 grain ammo for their Tavor's instead of using OFB supply?
Wasn't it the old M193 which is 55 grain?

As far as I can gather, M855 was always 62 grain, even before the A1 improvement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

uoftotaku

Country flag
Wasn't it the old M193 which is 55 grain?

As far as I can gather, M855 was always 62 grain, even before the A1 improvement. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes you're quite right...my mistake. SS109/M855 is the steel tip armor piercing version...62 grain. There is also a 77 grain M262 the USF uses for DMR and SAW use..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles