INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Gessler

Country flag
With minor differences, INSAS 1C (New Variant) likely to replace OFB 9mm Carbine of the Indian Army. Here are the close up pics of the recievers of both the old and new variants.
Hmm...sight radius seems to have gotten shorter in the new variant.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Indian Army to test AK-203 in carbine role also against terrorists
The assault rife would be provided to troops for carrying out anti-terrorist operations. A separate tender is being floated to buy 93,000 carbines under fast track procedure.

The Indian Army is planning to use a modified version of the AK-203 assault rifle in carbine role for its troops deployed during counter-insurgency operations in Jammu and Kashmir.

The AK-203 assault rifle would be manufactured at Uttar Pradesh's Amethi facility in a joint venture between the Ordnance Factory Board and Russia.

The assault rife would be provided to troops for carrying out anti-terrorist operations. A separate tender is being floated to buy 93,000 carbines under fast track procedure.

"We want to try out the AK-203 in the carbine role. We can remove the rifle's butt completely to reduce its size and then it can be hidden easily under clothes to be used in close quarter combat operations against terrorists," top Army sources told ANI.

"If needed, more modifications can be done in the AK- ..

"Efforts are under process to acquire 93,000 carbines and the Defence Ministry has formed an oversight committee to look into the case."

A senior Lieutenant General-rank officer has been appointed as the member of the committee including other members from the Defence Ministry and the DRDO.

The Defence Ministry is expected to take a call once the oversight committee submits its report.

The Central government has already finalised contracts for buying two types of moder ..
https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-terrorists/articleshow/68772386.cms?from=mdr
Caracal 816 Carbine variant.

Possible idea for a AK 203 series carbine.

And finally OFB's INSAS 1C carbine variant! :shock:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Above articles suggest that procurement of CAR 816 carbines stuck and strapped. So Indian goverment pushing for Insas mk 1 c as carbine for Indian army.
Old news. The deal is stuck because of pricing issues. The Sig 716 G2 (7.62x51) has less cost than the CAR 816 (5.56x45)!

https://www.armyrecognition.com/may...my_must_again_wait_more_for_new_carbines.html

INSAS 1C is disliked by the army. They rejected it twice.

Only something like above has a slight chance and then the whole receiver has to be machine milled to the quality of an AK 103/203, forget AR 15 level production quality.

WolfPack86

Country flag
OFB supplied about 20,000 Excalibur rifles various states of Indian police force. I am disappointed that Indian army rejected even improved variant Insas mk 1c going for foreign carbines. Now procurement of foreign carbines got stuck and cancelled. I hope now Indian army will select and buy Insas mk 1c carbines. Indian govt should ban imported weapons and buy our own weapons.

WolfPack86

Country flag
What types of weapons do Jammu and Kashmir police have. Do Jammu and Kashmir police have Insas rifles. I heard that Jammu and Kashmir police conducting trials of jvpc carbines OFB guy told reporter during Indian police force expo 2019. I saw it in you tube video.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles