INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Narasimh

Country flag
I am new to learn about Desi guns and I am interested to know about the successful indigenous guns which are with Army/SF other than the standard INSAS rifle. I have gone through the thread but find it confusing. If someone can give a summary, would be great.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
It seems that there are two 7. 62 x 51 Rifles in development. One by OFB and another by DRDO
OFB rifle is based onn INSAS design which is well known on internet
But apart from this rifle another 7.62x51 rifle is being developed by DRDO. It is still under wraps

abingdonboy

Country flag
So after months of scratching my head at the small arms mess the picture has emerged

70,000+ foreign rifles under FTP
90,000+ foreign carbines under FTP

180,000 OFB 7.62 NATO rifles (if it passes trails)
550,000 foreign rifles *or* OFB 7.62 NATO rifles

75,000 JVPC
200,000+ foreign carbines *or* JVPC (If it meets standards)

(FTP= fast track procurement)

Worst case scenario for carbine role 3 *different* rifles could be in service (FTP, OFB and then whatever wins the MII deal) and 3 different carbines

That’s SIX different weapons systems

When every other army has a SINGLE rifle/carbine

Even the best case scenario is FOUR different small arms (FTP rifle/carbine, JVPC and OFB 7.62*51 rifle)

I mean who the hell in MOD is okaying this nonsense?

I don’t like making these claims but goddamn the Army makes it hard not to allege corruption.

Time and again they scupper domestic efforts by imposing ridiculous ASQRs just so they can justify imports.

No other nation on earth would consider importing ONE MILLION carbines+rifles.

Imagine the damage this will do, can send a rocket to mars but can’t even build a decent rifle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
incase this has not been posted yet..
======
OFB belt-fed 7.62X51 LMG
Finally something good coming out..Still I think it could have been much better if it was based on a PK just like what Polish had done with UKM 2000 P and other UKM derivatives,rather than Mag 58 and Mag is more bulky even in shortened avatar .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Finally something good coming out..Still I think it could have been much better if it was based on a PK just like what Polish had done with UKM 2000 P and other UKM derivatives,rather than Mag 58 and Mag is more bulky even in shortened avatar .
Probably because OFB manufactures MAG but not PK. Good thing that they are developing based on what they know, rather than getting into an never ending development cycle.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles