INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Sirji....

Insas uses 5.56*45,

If we go through the documentaries of M-16, then purpose of this round is clearly explained.

Regarding the injury, it states that the aim of this round is to injure. When enemy soldier is injured, then two more withdraw from battle to take care of the wounded(i.e moving wounded back to safety). Frankly speaking when I first heard this logic, it sounded like WTF!!! I still don't understand the preference of wounding than killing. @Mikesingh sirji can u please shed more light and explain in layman terms

In 90s when our forces came in contract with terrorists, these rounds wounded them, unlike regular military forces, they didn't withdraw and kept fighting.

Thus Insas had lost its respect and AKs replaced them. 5.56*45 rounds did exactly what they're supposed to do, but army didn't like the outcome. Army's doctrine had failed (only in case of going for 5.56*45 round) so Insas had become scapegoat.

Yes Insas had its fair share of problems, but enough noise and inspection happened only after Kargil War. I believe most if not all of the issues are fixed now.
Conventional warfare is different from COIN ops. In the former it is better to injure your enemy as this creates a lot of pressure on the enemy's logistics which include evacuation to medical aid posts, and then to field hospitals, plus administration of medicines and so on. One injured on the battlefield requires at least two combatants to evacuate him and more to tend to him in the medical aid posts and further evacuation to field hospitals plus the transport required. This creates tremendous strain on resources and effects the morale of the enemy too. So, injuring the enemy is better than killing him outright and thus a 5.56 was preferred.

In the COIN environment, this doesn't hold. So a 7.62mm is ideal for putting the terrorist out of business permanently and quickly. Remember, we take no prisoners in COIN ops. It's shoot to kill unless of course he surrenders.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Sirji....

Insas uses 5.56*45,

If we go through the documentaries of M-16, then purpose of this round is clearly explained.

Regarding the injury, it states that the aim of this round is to injure. When enemy soldier is injured, then two more withdraw from battle to take care of the wounded(i.e moving wounded back to safety). Frankly speaking when I first heard this logic, it sounded like WTF!!! I still don't understand the preference of wounding than killing. @Mikesingh sirji can u please shed more light and explain in layman terms

In 90s when our forces came in contract with terrorists, these rounds wounded them, unlike regular military forces, they didn't withdraw and kept fighting.

Thus Insas had lost its respect and AKs replaced them. 5.56*45 rounds did exactly what they're supposed to do, but army didn't like the outcome. Army's doctrine had failed (only in case of going for 5.56*45 round) so Insas had become scapegoat.

Yes Insas had its fair share of problems, but enough noise and inspection happened only after Kargil War. I believe most if not all of the issues are fixed now.
Bhai its only for the issue that INSAS cant kill. Rest doctrine of having 5.56 is well explained by so many posts.

AMCA

Country flag
JVPC and OFB belt fed LMG were inducted into army????????

Indigenous weapons prepared in Kanpur under 'Make in India' inducted into Indian Army

Updated:12 Hours, 37 min ago IST

Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh), May 06 (ANI): Canon 'Sharang', Belt Fed Light Machine Gun and Joint Venture Protective Carbine prepared in Kanpur under 'Make in India' movement were inducted to Indian Army on Sunday. The indigenous guns were modified to meet the requirements of Indian Army. It took about half the cost from International market to develop these weapons.
https://www.aninews.in/videos/natio...kanpur-under-make-india-inducted-indian-army/

Enquirer

Finally Indian Army started to inducting indigenious weapons. Indian Army should follow foot steps of Indian Navy. One day India will be compeletly self reliance in weapons productions.:india::balleballe:
That report is incorrect. None of the displayed guns are inducted in Indian army, as yet!

Only few police forces and CRPF is serious about those guns at this point.

Chinmoy

Country flag
JVPC and OFB belt fed LMG were inducted into army????????

Indigenous weapons prepared in Kanpur under 'Make in India' inducted into Indian Army

Updated:12 Hours, 37 min ago IST

Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh), May 06 (ANI): Canon 'Sharang', Belt Fed Light Machine Gun and Joint Venture Protective Carbine prepared in Kanpur under 'Make in India' movement were inducted to Indian Army on Sunday. The indigenous guns were modified to meet the requirements of Indian Army. It took about half the cost from International market to develop these weapons.
https://www.aninews.in/videos/natio...kanpur-under-make-india-inducted-indian-army/
JVPC has been inducted into Jharkhand Police. As far as LMG is concerned, may be IA would be evaluating it. But none of these has been inducted by IA.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Hari Sud

Country flag
Has the Indian Army made up their mind about 7.62x51 rifle to be carried by all soldiers.

Is it an import or a locally made product?. Punj Lloyd can make Israeli Ace or OFB can make a derivative of Ak-47. ( Israeli Ace is also a derivative of Ak47 with machined parts.). Ace has minor quality improvement and better looks over granddaddy of all rifles the AK47.

I believe something has been decided but the army is not telling the public. They cancelled a digital project (recent reports) in order to save money to buy an import.

God knows, what is in Indian Army’s mind.

Remember this rifle selection has to be a proven weapon and superior to what our enemy soldiers carry. Of late Pakistan is also going for a new rifle selection. Then have Czeck rifle in mind.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles