INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

aditya g

Country flag
So IA could be operating both a 7.62x51 AND 7.62x39 (if Ghatak wins over Mk.1C)? What absurdity.

Anything to make a quick buck for the IA generals.....
I reported your post for the absurd and unfounded allegation on IA leadership.

I appreciate your passion and belief in what you think is the right thing to do, but stop abusing IA if its not happening your way.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
In my honest opinion,Army should go for INSAS Mk.1C Excalibur instead of Ghaatak.

Has better sights,better receiver (milled vs. stamped steel on Ghaatak) and somewhat better ergonomics than Ghaatak.

If army wanna induct a 7.62 x 39mm Rifle then simply rechamber Mk.1C Excalibur into 7.62 x 39mm and modify receiver section to adopt AK mags,won't take much effort.

soikot banerjee

Country flag
In my honest opinion,Army should go for INSAS Mk.1C Excalibur instead of Ghaatak.

Has better sights,better receiver (milled vs. stamped steel on Ghaatak) and somewhat better ergonomics than Ghaatak.

If army wanna induct a 7.62 x 39mm Rifle then simply rechamber Mk.1C Excalibur into 7.62 x 39mm and modify receiver section to adopt AK mags,won't take much effort.
How about we bring in the MCIWS back again?

aditya g

Country flag
....If army wanna induct a 7.62 x 39mm Rifle then simply rechamber Mk.1C Excalibur into 7.62 x 39mm and modify receiver section to adopt AK mags,won't take much effort.
Isnt that what OFB is attempting with 762x51 rifle?

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Kalashnikov platform is used for much bigger rounds, 7.62x54, 12.7x107 and even 14.5x115

Last edited:

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Kalashnikov platform is used for much bigger rounds, 7.62x54, 12.7x107 and even 14.5x115
Yeah and those guns are not meant to be used as a combat rifle/assault rifle carried by a single person,they are made for some specific purposes.

PSL and Dragunov are Designated Marksman Rifles or Sniper Rifles.

PK/PKM are belt fed GPMG.

As for those Heavy Rounds,i don't know which gun uses kalashnikov pattern internals in it,probably NSV,KPV,Kord belong to that category but i am not so sure.

Last edited:

Subham Show

Country flag
Can anyone tell about the current status of AAR aka MCIWS , has it been abandoned or is it undergoing further developments .

Doc Mozart

Country flag

But why even go that way? AAR is designed to handle both 5.56 x 45mm and 7.62 x 39mm. AAR is better in almost every way than insas mk1c and ghaatak. Frankly it's a no brainer. Just imagine a scenario where we have an indigenous 7.62 NATO rifle probably the OFB one for the infantry albit much improved and matured and on the other hand we have the AAR for the rest. Absolutely no need whatsoever to pay a premium for a rifle not made in india and certainly one not going to be able to handle indian environmental condition and stresses.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
But why even go that way? AAR is designed to handle both 5.56 x 45mm and 7.62 x 39mm. AAR is better in almost every way than insas mk1c and ghaatak. Frankly it's a no brainer. Just imagine a scenario where we have an indigenous 7.62 NATO rifle probably the OFB one for the infantry albit much improved and matured and on the other hand we have the AAR for the rest. Absolutely no need whatsoever to pay a premium for a rifle not made in india and certainly one not going to be able to handle indian environmental condition and stresses.
As per rumours,MCIWS/AAR is dead,or needs more clarifications.That is why i said that.

Damn,Is this MCIWS/AAR or Schrodinger's cat ? Both Alive and Dead at same time,until someone opens the box and look inside to verify the true conditon ??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles