INSAS bayonets

croblade

I have to admit that I do not know much about INSAS bayonets, so I hope I will learn lot about them from you guys.

Unfortunately I have just one INSAS bayonet in my collection. It is brown colored bayonet for 5.56 mm INSAS rifle. I got it without belt hanger and handle strap.
I saw on OFB website that there are two or three more types of INSAS bayonets. Well two or three because I do not know if these two models are same:
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/11.htm
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/10.htm

Other two models are black one for Excalibur and one with big handle for Amogh 5.56mm Carbine.
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/23.htm
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/add_31.htm

Could someone post some good photos of these bayonets? Are bayonets for Excalibur and 5.56 mm INSAS rifle same with exception of color?

I search hundreds of photos searching photo where I can see belt hanger for these bayonets and handle strap. I found just one photo with part of belt hanger and two or three photos with some handle stripes, but quality of photo was very low. Could someone put some photos of belt hangers handle stripes for these bayonets or at least describe them?

I will soon take and add some photos of my INSAS bayonet.

Many thanks,
Croblade

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
bayonets for Excalibur and 5.56 mm INSAS rifle are same with exception of color..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
kunal does these bayonets help in opening up insas for cleaning ????

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
kunal does these bayonets help in opening up insas for cleaning ????
Bayonet are for multi purpose use. It can be used for cleaning over Field operations, But its not required to open up the rifle..

croblade

Thanks Kunal!

These are not my photos. I believe these are photos of colleague collector from UK. Not sure 100% but I can check it if you want.
Is this belt hanger on bayonet genuine?
What about strips that goes on handle? Do you have any photo of them?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanks Kunal!

Is this belt hanger on bayonet genuine?
What about strips that goes on handle? Do you have any photo of them?
I dont have any photo of them now, But that Hanger is not genuine..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I'll tell you what. I'm none too pleased with the INSAS bayonet. I came across a review of the bayonets some time ago, and the quality was low, the workmanship shoddy and the general finish and design fragile and unsturdy. And this was a factory direct! Here's the review, in all its emblazoned glory:

http://www.ak47bayonets.com/gear/Gear_Review_Detail.php?g=gear1148233138
Its a Old report..
I have seen such poor Quality only in IMA & NDA Insas bayonets..

Here Some Pics:

But most of Us like to carry our Own..

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Its a Old report..
I have seen such poor Quality only in IMA & NDA Insas bayonets..
Sahiba, do you have any other reports to the contrary? And why do IMA/NDA cadets prefer to carry their own bayonets?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
And why do IMA/NDA cadets prefer to carry their own bayonets?
Over Field area..(CT ops, Etc)..

Some people do, If every thing looks green..

And those are not Cadets, Bhai.. :)

Last edited:

croblade

Thank you a lot guys!

Rage
Ak47bayonets site is not updated for some time. Many things change since this review was made. And believe me, after you see Egyptian AK bayonet you relist that no other bayonet is low quality :))) INSAS bayonet on the site is same as mine, only mine do not have belt hanger. This bayonet on the site have East German belt hanger made for their M1959, M19599/2 and M1974 bayonets.

Kunal
So this is not genuine hanger. Many thanks! I saw only one photo of the hanger (just part of the hanger) and it was green. Soldier has it on the belt.
On the photo of soldier and lot of rifles, soldier have bayonet with shiny blade. Which bayonet is it? Blade looks something like this on photo below, but handle strap and scabbard are different.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal
So this is not genuine hanger. Many thanks! I saw only one photo of the hanger (just part of the hanger) and it was green. Soldier has it on the belt.
On the photo of soldier and lot of rifles, soldier have bayonet with shiny blade. Which bayonet is it? Blade looks something like this on photo below, but handle strap and scabbard are different.
Insas ones are now Shiny types almost like AK ones..

croblade

So now they produce bayonets with polished blades?

Is this genuine belt hanger for INSAS bayonet?

Thanks!

Atul

Founding Member
What i fail to understand is that why is INSAS in all that colour, is it not that a gray or black Gun can provide a better camouflage??

croblade

Atul
When Russians first start to use bakelite instead of wood on AK's, they used red/brown/orange color to imitate the color of wood. Same first model of AKM bayonets had handle made of red/brown/orange colored bakelite. Later on second type of AKM bayonets they just kept same color for bayonet handles and scabbards. Anyway, red/brown/orange color on AK and related bayonets and rifles furniture is imitation of wood.

Here are some photos of "wooden" AK and related bayonets from Bulgaria, Czech, China, Poland and Russia.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So now they produce bayonets with polished blades?

Is this genuine belt hanger for INSAS bayonet?

Thanks!

Its actually depend on Unit Specifications, Most use this type of hanger and other are using Nylon type..

croblade

SO if I got it, there are three types of INSAS bayonets.

1 Rifle 5.56 mm INSAS
2 Excalibur
3 Amogh 5.56 INSAS

Old models have lack blades and new models have polished (shiny) blades.

There are two types of belt hangers, green cotton (as on photo) and nylon one. Different units have different hangers.

And there is also stripe on bayonets handle. Stripe has two buckles.

Is there any bayonet for Assault Rifle 7.62 mm rifle? i did not find any info about bayonet on official web site.
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/21.htm

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
SO if I got it, there are three types of INSAS bayonets.

1 Rifle 5.56 mm INSAS
2 Excalibur
3 Amogh 5.56 INSAS

Old models have lack blades and new models have polished (shiny) blades.

There are two types of belt hangers, green cotton (as on photo) and nylon one. Different units have different hangers.

And there is also stripe on bayonets handle. Stripe has two buckles.

Is there any bayonet for Assault Rifle 7.62 mm rifle? i did not find any info about bayonet on official web site.
http://ofbindia.gov.in/products/data/weapons/wsc/21.htm
Amogh is a prototype, Excalibur use same as 5.56mm Insas just the color difference..

Rifle 7.62mm use same Bayonet as AK`s, the deign are same..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles