INS Satpura Commissioned

sandeepdg

No, we dont have any.

Americans could sell Aegis but looks like we are not interested in it.
We should seriously consider the Aegis for the 17A Class frigates. Its the best and there's nothing that can match its capabilities.

sandeepdg

No LF, Barak is useless against Ballistic missile.

PDV is for terminal interception which when deployed in ships can only be used when the ship is in coastal areas near cities. So most suitable options to deploy in naval vessels are AD-1 and AD-2, which are for mid course interception.
Yeah, we need to have some ABM capability on our ships, especially for our future CBGs. They will be sitting ducks without such an option in the event of an Chinese ASBM strike.

plugwater

As of now, only the Kolkata class destroyers will carry the Nirbhay cruise missile, that too the last 4 under development under Project 15B. I feel that though Brahmos is deployed in most frigates and destroyers, its 290 km range is a real handicap. Efforts should be made to deploy the Nirbhay which is supposed to have a range 700-1000 kms in the frigates as well. Especially the Shivalik class, Talwar class, Brahmaputra class and Godavari class if possible and also in the Delhi class destroyers. Another option would be increase the range of Brahmos, which may not be possible since its a joint development project. Just 4 destroyers of Kolkata class carrying the Nirbhay is very less. Also preferable, if we can explore options to induct the Nirbhay in all our current subs and future ones like the Scorpene and those under P-75I.

The French navy is developing a dozen of the FREMM & FREDA frigates, as Armand pointed out in another thread, each of which carries 16 Scalp cruise missiles, with a range of 1000 km each. That means the 12 frigates combined will carry a complement of 192 Scalps ! That's freaking huge ! Plus six Barracuda subs again with a complement of around 12 Scalps each. We also need to have more longer range cruise missiles in decent numbers in most of our frigates and destroyers and subs. Just the Brahmos is not enough !

India seriously lacks in missile strength for a country of its size.
We can refit those ships with any missiles we want. First Nirbhay will take another 5 years to become ready for induction. Four project 15B ships will come aroud 2020 so they will have nirbhay as you said. But i feel we are taking too much time to build and induct a vessel. Also 3 or 4 ships in a class is just too small if we finalise a design i expect us build atleast 10 of its class so that it can help us speed up the building process.

Nirbahy in current submarines is not possible as far as i know. But it ll be in project 75I and in some arihants.

We should seriously consider the Aegis for the 17A Class frigates. Its the best and there's nothing that can match its capabilities.
We can develop one. I feel like offer of Aegis from US has a hidden agenda to kill our indigenous effort. We are developing interceptors and long range tracking radars wich are the toughest amoung ABM.

Param

Just a curious Q .Why there is and was no stuff named after Punjab in Indian armed forces???
What? There is so much named after Punjab. There is no coastline in Punjab yet so many ships have names associated with Punjab.
Just think about TN, a long coastline and an illustrious naval history but there is only one INS Chennai.

plugwater

What? There is so much named after Punjab. There is no coastline in Punjab yet so many ships have names associated with Punjab.
Just think about TN, a long coastline and an illustrious naval history but there is only one INS Chennai.
Dont worry man, if south India gets attacked all ships regardless of their names will come to protect us, not just INS chennai :p

sandeepdg

We can refit those ships with any missiles we want. First Nirbhay will take another 5 years to become ready for induction. Four project 15B ships will come aroud 2020 so they will have nirbhay as you said. But i feel we are taking too much time to build and induct a vessel. Also 3 or 4 ships in a class is just too small if we finalise a design i expect us build atleast 10 of its class so that it can help us speed up the building process.

Nirbahy in current submarines is not possible as far as i know. But it ll be in project 75I and in some arihants.

We can develop one. I feel like offer of Aegis from US has a hidden agenda to kill our indigenous effort. We are developing interceptors and long range tracking radars wich are the toughest amoung ABM.
As of now, there's no news that Nirbhay will be inducted in all frigates like the Brahmos, but what I want to see is whether its possible that both can be accommodated in most frigates and destroyers we have. Plus, I also wish our Kilos and to be inducted Scorpenes can also be modified to carry both the Brahmos and the Nirbhay.

I don't know about any program to build something similar to the Aegis. Nor do I think that we can come up something as potent soon.

plugwater

As of now, there's no news that Nirbhay will be inducted in all frigates like the Brahmos, but what I want to see is whether its possible that both can be accommodated in most frigates and destroyers we have. Plus, I also wish our Kilos and to be inducted Scorpenes can also be modified to carry both the Brahmos and the Nirbhay.

I don't know about any program to build something similar to the Aegis. Nor do I think that we can come up something as potent soon.
Brahmos is not getting fitted in all frigates mate, Shivalik class uses Klub instead of Brahmos mostly because of cost and weight i guess.

Nirbhay is being developed to overcome this limitations, It weighs 1000kg with 1000km range and cheap too so it will be mass produced.

Kilos have undergone their last refit so i dont think any missile is possible in that, Scorpene too does not have any VLS for missiles. But in project 75I there will be VLS so it can have Brahmos or Nirbhay as per our needs.

Officially we dont have any program to develop something similar to Aegis nor we have any ships to fit aegis system. My suggestion is by the time we have destroyers big enough to fit a ABM system we could finish our own Aegis type system.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles