INS Ranvir and INS Kuthar collided !

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
http://www.timesnow.tv/videoshow/4398503.cms

Times now reporting with videos and photos of a massive collision of Vizag which resulted in considerable damage to a destroyer and a corvette which required considerable repair costing quite a lot and also degrading operational preparedness.

trackwhack

Times of India!!!

Its a bloody massive navy. Of course there will be an occasional mishap. There is no need to report these things. Why is it a cover up? The people who needed to know about it would have known about it.

Its a cover up because the media did not know about it? Stupid, blatantly stupid newspaper.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Times of India!!!

Its a bloody massive navy. Of course there will be an occasional mishap. There is no need to report these things. Why is it a cover up? The people who needed to know about it would have known about it.

Its a cover up because the media did not know about it? Stupid, blatantly stupid newspaper.
Even a fire on board a boat is reported. This was a massive accident which cost a lot to repair and also degraded operational preparedness. It has to be reported and not hushed away.

Worse is that the court of inquiry found both the captains guilty bu let off and one of them is right now on a trainin assignment.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Poor seakeeping!

trackwhack

Even a fire on board a boat is reported. This was a massive accident which cost a lot to repair and also degraded operational preparedness. It has to be reported and not hushed away.

Worse is that the court of inquiry found both the captains guilty bu let off and one of them is right now on a trainin assignment.
Yusuf, it does not need to be reported to the media. The navy chief of staff and defence ministry would have known and that suffices. The common man does not need to know everything about the navy. And more importantly, if it did degrade operational preparedness the more the reason for the media and our adversaries to not know about such things until they are fixed.

This is just pure sensationalist journalism by TOI.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, it does not need to be reported to the media. The navy chief of staff and defence ministry would have known and that suffices. The common man does not need to know everything about the navy. And more importantly, if it did degrade operational preparedness the more the reason for the media and our adversaries to not know about such things until they are fixed.

This is just pure sensationalist journalism by TOI.
I know about the effect of reporting to the media when it happened. But this happened in 2009. What's stopped them from reporting after the ships came back to active duty.

trackwhack

I know about the effect of reporting to the media when it happened. But this happened in 2009. What's stopped them from reporting after the ships came back to active duty.
For what reason? How is this useful information to the public? Operational hazards are part of the armed forces lives. A visible catastrophe like a fighter crashing cannot be concealed, but such things need to be known only to the relevant authorities. I dont feel the need to know this. And I definitely take offence at the fact that its being called a cover up.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
For what reason? How is this useful information to the public? Operational hazards are part of the armed forces lives. A visible catastrophe like a fighter crashing cannot be concealed, but such things need to be known only to the relevant authorities. I dont feel the need to know this. And I definitely take offence at the fact that its being called a cover up.
Will wait for this. Even CAG didn't know about this or it would have reported. It means there was a cover up

Adux

Country flag
The Navy is under no obligation to disclose minor mishaps. Operational availability is none of the ordinary citizen's concern in this context.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Navy is under no obligation to disclose minor mishaps. Operational availability is none of the ordinary citizen's concern in this context.
This was not a minor mishap. Yes we don't need to know of operational secrets.

After three years even CAG does not know and the captains who were found guilty went unpunished and one of them has a training assignment the report says.

Come on. Where is the accountability ?

H.A.

Firstly, The only reason that Indian Navy was able to conceal it is because it had opened at Sea, hence very few people must have been involved...whether the general public is to be informed or not is another issue.

The question arises as to how TOI laid hands on this piece of information. I think IN will be more concerned about this angle at the moment.....

8 months back (approx.) there was an incident that happened at the dry dock. The caisson gate was being erected, which collapsed during trials killing two naval officer and one civilian officer, that incident was reported however nobody has been held responsible yet.....so I guess there are pieces of information that are not let out to the general public....simply because the face of IN has to be saved....showing only the smiling happy side not the other side

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If indeed the ships have collided, it is an incident that will not be taken as minor or routine since it indicates gross errors in training. as also expertise and professionalism.

Foir example, if a jawan's rifle accidentally goes off and he is not even injured, it still will be taken as a serious error since there is some procedure that has been violated and such violations can lead to loss of life and property, apart from indicating poor discipline and training. Knowing the cause will assist in buttoning up the loopholes and relooking at procedures to make them better.

Of course, such incident need not be known to the general public since the general public cannot, in any way, assist.

In so far as the Navy is concerned, they are at sea and there are many fisherfolks and others around. Fisherfolks understand navigation. Therefore, any Naval accident will be witnessed. It will the talk of the town.

It is therefore better than the truth prevails without releasing OPSEC, so that the rumour mill that can demoralise the Nation, is squashed before it starts raging as a wild forest fire.

If the TOI is aware then it is a positive proof that someone, not from the Navy, has witnessed it.

It is better to be transparent than cloak issues with mumbo jumbo leading to conspiracy theories and other flights of fancy.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
This was not a minor mishap. Yes we don't need to know of operational secrets.

After three years even CAG does not know and the captains who were found guilty went unpunished and one of them has a training assignment the report says.

Come on. Where is the accountability ?
You are mixing two different things,

I am only talking about the information dissemination to the general public through a frothing media, I wasnt talking about accountability or punishment

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I just saw the video.

It is not a minor mishap.

It has ripped the ships.

However, it appears that the videos were taken from on board.

It is interesting that the Captains have been promoted.

So, there is more than what meets the eye, in that, there could be some good reasons why it happened.

Now, what are those good reasons, search me!

noob101

we are lacking in destroyers and this mishaps are becoming common
I hope you notice the destroyer did not sink ..... why is everyone making a big deal about this.... there seems to be no loss of life and the ships have been repaired and have joined active service again.... I really doubt that it was a cover up by the navy, if collision of two ships is considered a naval disaster people need to look at naval history

agentperry

every time such thing surfaces im reminded of a retired navy person( 71 veteran too) who said that after 80s only morons were inducted into navy who got no brains and are only there because they failed every other exam including one for bank clerks. there were no sophisticated navigational and steering aides back then but our navy was more safe but now ships are ramming into eachother. its not a fire on deck or something which we can call a mishap... they rammed intto eachother. how a 100 mtr plus ship can go into another ship that too on port and not high sea where tides can actually increase the possibility of such accidents. manpower is of seriously low quality. shameful thing. navy should improve its training.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles