INS Cheraman : A case for ending the overt Sanskritism in Navy

drkrn

Re: INS Cheraman : A case for ending the overt Sanskritism in naming o

Tamil script has been found even in Harrappa, Mohanjo Daro, ancient Sumeria, egypt etc. even in India both sanskrit and Tamil has co existed for over 10k yrs and Rishi Agatshya had codified these two languages. It is for this reason that these two languages are very close to eachother and it is difficult to make out which originated from whom. But the fact is that while sanskrit was a language which was spoken by only the upper class of society like more of a court language, Tamil was the language of commoners.
agastya codified Sanskrit.so n written format before this codification??

nirranj

Country flag
I was thinking on this naming convention for sometimes in my mind. But I got convinced on naming our ships in sanskrit words, will eventually give them a commonness to all Indians.

reasons why,

1, If we are to name the ships in all regional languages, then we might end up facing retarded political demands for naming iconic ships in regional languages.

2, If we give them the names of emperors from our past, it may not go right with regions which suffered from those emperors and their armies, for example, If one has to name IAC #1 as INS Rajendra Chola (I had this name in my mind as he led one of the greatest contemporary navies during his time), But then I got a nightmare on how it would be perceived in Karnataka and Kerala as the Cholas were arch enemies of the Chalukyas and Chera's. That seemed ridiculous As I wont want to hurt some states. Also I find it nonsense to name the Ships of the Indian Democracy to be named after emperors...

3, Even though Sanskrit is considered alien in Tamil Country, I am, a Tamil, is named as Nirranj (I dont know if its sanskrit but this word is in Bengali) and Sanskrit words are used in common through out India (I am not sure on the North east). And Except Tamil, all other Indian Languages are either influenced by Sanskrit or are off shoots of Sanskrit. And Tamils are patriots and are one of the most early proponents of a Unified India.

So Sanskrit sounds right for Me.

And why does sanskrit becomes the language of Hindus, When every other language of Indian origin too are spoken by Hindus from their time of origin...

The author is probably paid by some Congress person who wants to add more spice to their "Divide and Rule" theory...

Last edited:

Neil

Country flag
historically world wide navies hold more importance than armies for big coastal countries.a navy is a countries pride even for today.look at the navy of usa,the naval tonnage of us is more than combined navy of next 10 countries combined.so nothing wrong in keeping names for navy from country of origin.

@Neil even if many communities contributed to the country for centuries they can not replace our mother language Sanskrit and our history entangled with it,do they?
Sanskrit is a not a language alone,its India's pride
totally agree @ drdrn ... if IN starts naming its warships after influential people[ not politicians but people that have really contributed to our society or freedom struggle] we would need combined warships of next 10 countries put together and still it wont be enough...

and seriously comparing our warship naming with pakis... :facepalm: thats some dumb assessment

Last edited by a moderator:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag

i would rather name our ship in Sanskrit than naming them after some foreign barbaric invaders who just came here for nothing and pillaged and raped our women and massacred hundreds of thousands of people like taimur or babur or for that ahmed shah abdali!Sanskrit is just not a language it's THE language which has shaped up the culture and the civilization of the entire Indian sub-continent.most of the Indic languages have Sankrit as origin,heck even today we use thousands of Sanskrit words in our day to day activites.Sanskrit isn't just a language to us,it is the synonym of the Indian culture.
this author is nothing but one of those so called "pseudo secular" persons who just keep on whining on everything which has an Indic origin.i am glad i didn't grow up to be like one of these jokers!
Darn you missed the sarcasm in my post. Just google Mayawati and Jayalalitha before reading my post.

mikhail

Country flag

Darn you missed the sarcasm in my post. Just google Mayawati and Jayalalitha before reading my post.
mate i knew you were sarcastic,i just wanted to let you know that i would rather use Sanskrit than some alien languages to name our ship.i am just supporting your views actually because i know that like me you also support the present naming system of the I.N.

Subramanian

Somehow people have got into the habit of making issues out of non issues.
ships in IN have been named after cities. rivers, islands, Forts, Martyrs of 1857, Kings & queens of ancient India and even on Zodiac signs. There is no such tradition of naming IN ships only in Sanskrit. Even if we assume that it is the norm, than what wud you want us to do when Sanskrit is the mother of all Indian languages except Tamil. Sanskrit seems to have evolved from tamil. Do you want us to name our ships in persian, german, English or Arabic?
Sanskrit & Tamil are independent languages but are totally mixed with one another.

Subramanian

I was thinking on this naming convention for sometimes in my mind. But I got convinced on naming our ships in sanskrit words, will eventually give them a commonness to all Indians.

reasons why,

1, If we are to name the ships in all regional languages, then we might end up facing retarded political demands for naming iconic ships in regional languages.

2, If we give them the names of emperors from our past, it may not go right with regions which suffered from those emperors and their armies, for example, If one has to name IAC #1 as INS Rajendra Chola (I had this name in my mind as he led one of the greatest contemporary navies during his time), But then I got a nightmare on how it would be perceived in Karnataka and Kerala as the Cholas were arch enemies of the Chalukyas and Chera's. That seemed ridiculous As I wont want to hurt some states. Also I find it nonsense to name the Ships of the Indian Democracy to be named after emperors...

3, Even though Sanskrit is considered alien in Tamil Country, I am, a Tamil, is named as Nirranj (I dont know if its sanskrit but this word is in Bengali) and Sanskrit words are used in common through out India (I am not sure on the North east). And Except Tamil, all other Indian Languages are either influenced by Sanskrit or are off shoots of Sanskrit. And Tamils are patriots and are one of the most early proponents of a Unified India.

So Sanskrit sounds right for Me.

And why does sanskrit becomes the language of Hindus, When every other language of Indian origin too are spoken by Hindus from their time of origin...

The author is probably paid by some Congress person who wants to add more spice to their "Divide and Rule" theory...
There are lots and lots of common words between Sanskrit and Tamil too.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Wow, did this article just compare India with Pakistan, because we give our ships Sanskrit names? :facepalm:

Sanskrit is the iconic language of India. It is not restricted to any religion, but belongs to the country as a whole. It's surely better than naming ships after foreign conquerors who had nothing to do with the country except they invaded and destroyed it (PNS Babur anyone?).
Sanskrit is the language where no Indian should be having problem.All the Indian languages are influenced/originated from it.

Pakis are shameless who glorify the foreign terrorists who plundered/raped their ancestors(Babur/Abdali etc etc)

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I agree with most of the points made here, but for a minute, I'd like to be the devils advocate. I think the author may specifically have an issue with Sanskrit names that are derived from Hindu mythology, like for example, Airavat. The posters here seem to be sidestepping this issue and focusing all their attention on the language issue.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
I agree with most of the points made here, but for a minute, I'd like to be the devils advocate. I think the author may specifically have an issue with Sanskrit names that are derived from Hindu mythology, like for example, Airavat. The posters here seem to be sidestepping this issue and focusing all their attention on the language issue.
Mythological names make sense since the mythology developed in the country itself and is part of the culture. It just happens to be associated with Hinduism.

Throughout the world weapon systems are named after mythological items/characters, whether the religions that constitute the mythology are alive or dead is a different matter.

Aegis, Trident, Atlas, David's Sling all have names with roots in mythology.

Regardless, as many people have said above the products are christened after a variety of sources like cities.

Twinblade

Country flag
If such broad generalisations are acceptable, then INS Teg is after Guru Teg Bahadur Singh, Shamsher (Jaguar) is named after the scimitars of central asian and west asian invaders. Also, Baaz (MiG-29) has been added to the sanskrit vocabulary and Akbar (Mi-35) does not have any religious connotations. This takes care of all the minorities. Seriously, stupid thread is stupid.

dhananjay1

I have absolutely no respect for someone who trashes the use of Sanskrit. The degenerate comi scum of the outlook is showing his true colors. The retard would most probably find it difficult to write a coherent sentence in any language but English.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is why I hate this self-shame called Secularization.

Ashamed to call myself a part of such a rule.

Fcking losers destroying our country's culture.

Sanskrit is the mother language of all languages.

These secular terrorists will make India another Mughal empire cum European Middle Age.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles