India-Srilanka Relations

sgarg

We made one big blunder. And that is the purpose of IPKF. We should have disarmed SL in 1987 and held a referendum in Tamil areas asking for their choice on Independence... Or we could have annexed Tamil Areas into India.

We never did the right thing then, just as we let go the Pakistani POWs in 1971 without getting a permanent solution to the Kashmir issue. Now we have a Chinese client state in our south...
No. We do not have a Chinese client state in south yet.

Honestly I would prefer China and India to work together but it has not happened so far due to many reasons.

It is important for India to build relations with China, at an economic and cultural level at this time, even if political relations are far off.

Sri Lanka is a sovereign nation. As such it can invite Chinese companies to build its infrastructure. Just docking of a Chinese submarine in Colombo does not make Sri Lanka India's enemy.

India has a stake in Sri Lanka. That has not disappeared and will not disappear.

India need to be patient as a country and not jump to conclusions.

sgarg

India did a good job in Sri Lanka. It went in as peace keepers and thats what it did.

India could have supported Tamil Ealam, and a news State could be a reality with India's support, but then India would have lost influence with Colombo.

So India has made a sacrifice for friendship with Colombo. However Colombo knows very well that the situation can reverse if it goes too far.

India cannot stop Colombo from Chinese economic activity. However if Colombo takes actions which hurt India's security interests significantly, then a lot can go wrong for it.

The recent Ukraine situation shows what a powerful neighbor can do.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Looking forward to a cordial relationship with Sri Lanka: India

New Delhi: India on Monday said it was looking forward to warm, cordial and friendly relationship with the new Sri Lankan government headed by President Maithripala Sirisena and hoped that his dispensation will take along all sections of the population and ensure their welfare. External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said Prime Minister Narendra Modi has already extended an invitation to Sirisena to visit India and the newly elected President has indicated that he may come here at an early date in his tenure. "We welcome the completion of the democratic exercise in Sri Lanka. Prime Minister was amongst the earliest to congratulate the President of Sri Lanka. Subsequently, he also sent a letter inviting the President of Sri Lanka to visit India," he said. The Spokesperson said India was looking forward to the visit by Sirisena. "We look forward to a relation with Sri Lanka which is cordial, which is warm and friendly and we hope for peace and stability in Sri Lanka and hope that the new government in the country will take into account the views of all section of Sri Lankan population to live a life of dignity and peace," he said. India has been pushing Sri Lanka to implement the 13th amendment in "letter and spirit" to meet aspirations of the ethnic Tamils there. In one of the biggest political shake-ups in Sri Lanka, Sirisena had trounced Mahinda Rajapaksa in the tightest-ever presidential race. Experts felt that the change may be be good for India given the early responses of Sirisena, who has not been very enthusiastic over China's increasing influence over the island nation.
Looking forward to a cordial relationship with Sri Lanka: India - IBNLive

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
India, Lanka discuss voluntary repatriation of Lankan refugees

India-Sri Lanka today held talks on voluntary repatriation of Sri Lankan refugees in the country, within days of deciding to "re- engage" on the issue during a meeting between their foreign ministers. During the first meeting between the officials of the two countries, in which Indian side was led by the Joint Secretary in-charge of Lanka in the External Affairs Ministry, the two sides talked about various aspects related to repatriation, officials sources said. There was also internal consultations on the issue with other ministries in the government, they said. Earlier this month, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and her Sri Lankan counterpart Mangala Samaraweera, during their over three-hour-long talks, had decided to work on repatriation of Tamil refugees to Sri Lanka who had fled during the civil war that started in 1990s. According to official figures, there are more than 100,000 Sri Lankan refugees in Tamil Nadu, of which some 68,000 are housed in over 100 government-run camps.

Shiv Sena, BJP to set up coordination committee | Business Standard News

Tamil Soldier

God willing, the sons of Cholan will once again rise to invade and conquer Sri Lanka.

Our enmity with the Sinhalese is eternal. We will never forgive nor forget the events of our 2000 year struggle. We will crush them decisively.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Lanka Looks Forward to Elevating Engagement With India: Sirisena

NEW DELHI: Sri Lanka looks forward to elevating its engagement with India and taking it to "greater heights" for mutual benefit of the peoples, newly elected Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena has said. "I share very much your desire to further strengthen the excellent bilateral relations and look forward to earnestly work together to elevate our engagement to greater heights for the mutual benefit of our peoples," he said in response to President Pranab Mukherjee's message of congratulations on his election as new President of that country. Sirisena is scheduled to visit India from February 15 to 18 at the invitation of Mukherjee. "I deeply appreciate your message of felicitation on my election as the President of Sri Lanka. "India and Sri Lanka enjoy a deep and abiding relationship founded on ancient civilisational and cultural links, shared histories, close centuries-old people-to- people contact, complemented substantially by shared values of pluralism and democracy," Sirisena said, according to a Rashtrapati Bhavan release today. He also wished prosperity for the friendly people of India.
Lanka Looks Forward to Elevating Engagement With India: Sirisena - The New Indian Express

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
India, Sri Lanka sign civil nuclear deal, Modi calls it a sign of trust

New Delhi: Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena held bilateral talks with Prime Minister Modi on Monday and the two signed agreements including one on civil nuclear cooperation. Modi said the two leaders discussed ways to enhance economic cooperation between both countries. He also said he discussed the fishermen issue with Sirisena and hoped for a solution soon. "The bilateral agreement on civil nuke deal is a sign of trust between the two countries," said Modi. On the fishermen issue, Modi added, "President and I have attached high importance to the fishermen issue. Fishermen from both regions should meet and share their proposals with the government." PM Modi said he will be visiting Sri Lanka in March. Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena is in India on his maiden foreign visit after taking charge last month. "We are honoured that you chose India for your first foreign tour," said Modi.
Earlier in the day, Sirisena received the ceremonial guard of honour at Rashtrapati Bhavan and also met External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. In the evening, President Pranab Mukherjee will be hosting a banquet in Sirisena's honour.

India, Sri Lanka sign civil nuclear deal, Modi calls it a sign of trust - IBNLive

sorcerer

Country flag
List of Agreements/MoUs signed during the State Visit of the President of Sri Lanka to India (February 16, 2015)

Agreement between Sri Lanka and India on Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy.

The Agreement would facilitate cooperation in the transfer and exchange of knowledge and expertise, sharing of resources, capacity building and training of personnel in peaceful uses of nuclear energy including use of radioisotopes, nuclear safety, radiation safety, nuclear security, radioactive waste management and nuclear and radiological disaster mitigation and environmental protection.

Programme of Cultural Cooperation between Sri Lanka and India for the years 2015 - 18

The Programme of Cultural Cooperation for 2015-18 seeks to enhance the level of cooperation in a wide variety of fields such as performing arts, visual arts, libraries, museums, archives & cultural documentation, archaeology, handicrafts, publications and professional exchanges.

MoU on the Establishment of Nalanda University

The MoU would enable Sri Lanka to participate in the Nalanda University Project.

Work-Plan 2014-2015 under the MoU on Cooperation in the field of Agriculture between India and Sri Lanka.

The Work Plan would facilitate bilateral cooperation in Agro Processing, Agricultural extension, horticulture, agricultural machinery, training in farm mechanization, livestock diseases, etc. between relevant institutes and organizations from both countries.

List of Agreements/MoUs signed during the State Visit of the President of Sri Lanka to India (February 16, 2015)

sorcerer

Country flag
Sushma Swaraj on Lanka visit from tomorrow

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will undertake a two-day visit to Colombo tomorrow to set the stage for Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Sri Lanka, the first bilateral visit to the country by an Indian Prime Minister in over 25 years.

During her two-day stay, Swaraj will call on Lankan Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and hold talks with her counterpart Mangala Samaraweera.

She is also expected to call on President Maithripala Sirisena, seen as a precursor to the visit by Modi on March 13, according to PTI.

This is Modi's first visit to Sri Lanka during which he is likely to travel to war-ravaged Jaffna in Tamil-dominated Northern Province and Trincomalee in the Eastern Province.

He is scheduled to travel to Jaffna, Anuradhapura and Kandy, Sri Lankan media reports have said citing presidential secretariat sources.

Modi's visit will be a return for Sirisena's visit here last month that saw the two countries sign a civil nuclear pact.

It was Sirisena's first overseas visit since becoming the president in January.

India-Sri Lanka relations had seen tensions during last few years of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa, who was voted out of power, as China had expanded its footprint in the country by building ports, highways and participating in other infrastructure projects.

Sushma Swaraj on Lanka visit from tomorrow / Sputnik India English - News, Opinion, Radio

====

Very close follow up on foreign relations with immediate neighbors.. Good Show GoI!! good show!

Compersion

Country flag
what we doing about the italian marines ... it really needs to be closed and settled in a proper and sensical manner.

it is springing up even into our neighborhood relations and it is trying to stretch it into fishing boundary and use of seas. the italian marines and what they did are nonequivalents.

sorcerer

Country flag
Prime Minister's remarks to Business Community in Colombo (March 13, 2015)
Distinguished guests,

I am delighted to be here at the Ceylon Chamber of Commerce.

Thank you for coming here in such large numbers. It is a real honour to visit Sri Lanka. Over the course of these two days, I will meet people from all walks of life. For me, this is one of the most important meetings in Sri Lanka.This is because no matter how old and strong the relationship is, economic cooperation is often the locomotive that gives it momentum. It is also important because for all of us in our region, the most important priority is transforming the lives of our people. Our path will be determined by our economic choices and the quality of governance. But, business enterprises will remain critical for our success.

I often say that a nation's fortunes are linked to its neighbourhood. There are many in India who would argue that India is too large to need her neighbours. There are many in our region who worry that India's economic size will hurt them. I disagree with both views. For one, we all need a stable and peaceful neighbourhood to concentrate on national development.

I also believe that countries do better when the entire region moves together. I said at the SAARC Summit that barriers of boundaries inhibit progress; international partnerships give it speed. That is why we see a rising tide of regional integration and cooperation across the world. Our region is rich in resources. We constitute a large market. We complement each other. Therefore, our cooperation can be of huge benefit to all of us.

There are already powerful examples in South Asia that show us that differences in size is no constraint to beneficial partnerships, if we use our strengths and seize our opportunities. Bhutan benefits from hydropower exports to India. Nepal has significant manufacturing exports to India – in part driven by Indian investors.

Infrastructure, energy, supply chains, traditional handicrafts, modern manufacturing, tourism and services – there are no limits to our possibilities. I hardly need to tell this informed audience about the transformation unleashed in India over the past ten months.

There is new purpose and clarity in our policies; a new vision for inclusive development; new standards in our governance; and, a new level of energy in our economy.

Last quarter, India was the fastest growing global economy. We are confident that we can grow even faster. The progress of one-sixth of humanity is a major economic opportunity for the world. The global confidence in India has been restored. The world's engagement with India is at a new level. But, the first claim on us should be that of India's neighbours.

And, I will be happy if India is a catalyst for economic growth in our own region. That is why I speak of a neighbourhood where trade, investment, ideas and people move easily across the borders. And, as I said in Kathmandu in November, India will do its part for the region.

We will work to integrate our markets more. We will make trade smoother and possible through the most direct routes. We will invest in regional connectivity. And, we will share our capabilities in science and technology with South Asia, from advanced medicines to disaster management or space science. As a friend and neighbor, we attach the highest importance to Sri Lanka's economic progress. Sri Lanka is a nation of many achievements and great strengths. It has education, skills and enterprise. It has an excellent location. And, it has won peace now. Sri Lankan businesses have shown that they can compete with the best in the world. Our garments and tea industry know that!

We are pleased to be Sri Lanka's largest trading partner and one its largest sources of investment. Our Free Trade Agreement in 2000 was a pioneering initiative in the region. It has given a big boost to our trade. Sri Lanka's exports to India have grown sixteen times – yes, sixteen times – since then. This is impressive by any standards. I know there are concerns here about the huge trade imbalance.

I am prepared to work with you to address them. I want balanced growth in trade. We will try to make it easier and smoother for you to access the Indian market. That is part of my philosophy of ease of doing business in India. Our agreement on Customs cooperation is a step in that direction.

India is opening up to the world. We offer duty free access to Least Developed Countries, including in South Asia. And, India has Free Trade Agreements with ASEAN and others. We should ensure that Sri Lanka does not fall behind in the changing and competitive world. That is why India and Sri Lanka should move boldly to conclude a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement. You should also attract investments from India for exports to India. That should be the natural outcome of our proximity and your strengths.

Indian investments can also upgrade and expand your infrastructure. It is also natural that Indian investors are more likely to invest here because of familiarity and proximity. They are already here. And, I know that there are many large commitments in the pipeline. They are looking for your support.

During this visit, I am pleased with progress on Sampur Thermal Power Project and the Trincomalee Oil Farm. That is good for Sri Lanka's energy security and for our partnership. I also believe that when we connect the lives of people, we strengthen the bonds between nations.

We have extended visa on arrival facility to Sri Lanka from April 14. We should do more to connect our countries by air and sea. India and Sri Lanka were , in some ways, better connected in the past than we are now! In the past, a person could buy a rail ticket in Colombo and travel to Chennai by rail and ferry! Air India's decision to launch direct flight between our capitals will help reverse that trend. Tourism unites people and creates economic opportunities.

India is already the biggest source of tourists here. We will work together to increase that flow.

In conclusion, let me return to the point I had made at the beginning. India's progress gives us the ability to create opportunities for our neighbours. Our development partnership has injected commitments of 1.6 billion dollars in assistance from India. That has helped rebuild and upgrade infrastructure in Sri Lanka.

Today, we have offered another Line of Credit of 318 million dollars for the railways sector. Reserve Bank of India has agreed to provide Central Bank of Sri Lanka a currency swap arrangement for 1.5 billion dollars. This will increase the stability of Sri Lankan Rupee. It is not just in development partnership. We will also be supportive in advancing your commercial interests. I believe in Sri Lanka's capabilities. We should engage more. We should open up to each other more. We should move forward with greater belief in our own strengths; more trust in each other; and, more confidence in the fruits of our partnership.

Thank you.

sorcerer

Country flag
Transcript of Media Briefing by Foreign Secretary on Prime Minister's ongoing visit to Sri Lanka (March 13, 2015)

Official Spokesperson:Good afternoon friends and thank you very much for being here this afternoon. As you are aware, we have just completed a fairly substantial between Prime Minister and President of Sri Lanka. We have, here with us, Foreign Secretary Dr. S. Jaishankar and on his right is Ms. Suchitra Durai who is the Joint Secretary concerned regarding Sri Lanka and Maldives. What we will do is, given the paucity of time, I'll request the Foreign Secretary to run through the main issues in the discussion so that you have a clearer idea of what were the issues that were focused on following which we'll answer two questions because we have to go out for another event immediately after that. With those introductory remarks, let me ask Foreign Secretary to make a few brief opening remarks.

Foreign Secretary:Thank you Akbar. I think what I'll do is that I will try to summarize the discussions which took place this morning and most of you would have heard Prime Minister's statement after the talks, so I don't want to repeat that. I won't cover the same ground, I assume you all know that. Essentially what the discussions really reviewed is the totality of our ties. I think you all are familiar that there are very broad based ties with a very close neighbour. We conveyed that we supported the democratic process in Sri Lanka, we supported the reconciliation process in Sri Lanka and a lot of time was spent really discussing bilateral cooperation possibilities and the challenges where they exist.

Now I would divide those issues into five or six clusters. The first cluster would be really India as an economic partner of Sri Lanka. We conveyed our willingness to consider extending a Line of Credit to the tune of US$ 318 million to Sri Lanka, mainly for railway projects. As some of you would know, we have a strong history of railway cooperation. We have helped to reconstruct the Southern Line, the Northern Line and the North-Western Line. This time, this Line of Credit would focus on buying rolling stocks as well as to renovate and repair some of the existing lines.

We also confirmed our willingness to extend the swap arrangement which would help stabilize Sri Lankan currency whenever it comes under stress. We had an earlier swap arrangement to the tune US$400 million, this has now been extended to US$1.5 billion.

On the economic side, investment issues were discussed. The Sri Lankan side very strongly welcomed more Indian investments in Sri Lanka as we did Sri Lankan investments in India. There was some discussion on the Free Trade Agreement, going beyond it to the ongoing discussions on the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA). Both of us agreed that we needed to speed it up. Commerce Secretary was here recently on this. So, we hope to move this on.

On the ocean economy side, we had agreed to constitute a Joint Task Force. Ocean economy is today a common theme with many of our partners in the Indian Ocean. Having just come to visits to Mauritius and Seychelles, I can tell you these were discussed at those destinations as well.

The second cluster is on the infrastructure side. The Sri Lankan government, the Sri Lankan President actually deep appreciation for what we have already cooperated on in the health sector. There are two hospitals in Vavuniya and Dikoya. On the port side, we had helped to reconstruct the KKS port, on the airport- the Palaali runway comes to mind. Prime Minister expressed the hope that Sampur Thermal Power Project . The environmental impact assessment has been completed. We are waiting public commence for that now so that it would start to move quickly.

A related area is the rehabilitation side. I mentioned railways but I would particularly emphasize housing. We have an ongoing program of constructing 50,000 houses. We've done 27,000. We hope to move the rest on in a fairly early schedule. There were some talks on whether we could really extend this on a much wider basis to other areas of Sri Lanka. I think we agreed to take those suggestions onboard and see and evaluate it.

On the energy side, I mentioned to you Sampoor, but there was an agreement. I am sure you are all familiar with the past history of the Trincomalee Tank Farm. So, there was an agreement that on the upper tank. We already operate 14 tanks in the Lower tank farm. But we have an interest today in operationalizing the Upper Tank Farm. So, on the Upper Tank Farm, it was agreed that we would constitute a Joint Task Force which would discuss early operationalization. That would be done as a Joint Venture. There was a lot of discussion on people-to-people relations. Prime Minister announced the electronic visa-on-arrival facility for Sri Lankans. You would have noted that we signed two agreements on youth affairs, one auditorium for the Ruhuna University. We hope that Air India starts direct flight. There was some discussion on resumption of ferries. There is a ferry service from Colombo to Tuticorin which was suspended essentially on viability issues and then there is a historical one between Talaimannar and Rameswaram which has some infrastructure, physical challenges which need to be addressed. So, those were discussed. I think certainly interest was there on how to get that operationalize. Prime Minister spoke about the huge interest in India on the Ramayana trail, on our commitment to have a Festival of India in Sri Lanka.

Then going back to the business side, we signed a customs agreement which would facilitate business cooperation. In addition Prime Minister referred to our interest in discussing pharmaceutical SEZ in Trincomalee. So that I think would be a fair summary of what happened this morning. I think in terms of the program, you've seen the talks and Prime Minister went to the Mahabodhi Society after that. We would now be moving on very shortly to a Lunch by the Prime Minister and then the Prime Minister's address to the Parliament. Thank you.

Official Spokesperson:Given that we have just about five minutes, we'll take just two questions and then if there are any others, we will handle them in a different format later on.

Question: You talked in the bilateral context not in multilateral context. How did the two principles view the situation in Maldives and how would India-Sri Lanka-Maldives (..inaudible..)? Can you give some idea on that?

Foreign secretary:There wasn't a specific discussion of the situation in the Maldives but the India-Sri Lanka-Maldives triangle definitely came up for discussion. There was an interest on both sides on how to do more on the triangle. Again, I am diverting a bit but in Seychelles and Mauritius also we raised a possibility of those two countries considering the possibility of joining the triangle.

Question: CEPA could not happen. You said that talks are in progress. So, what are the hurdles in this?

Foreign Secretary: Well, I think, CEPA is a very complicated exercise which is why if you look at any two countries or entities negotiating a CEPA- it usually takes a long time. I think we are looking at a whole set of issues. Some of it pertains to trade, some of it pertains to investment conditions but I think considering right now that it is an ongoing discussion, I don't think it would be fair of me to really say in public that we are stuck on a specific issue because we may not be stuck there in the next round. I am not trying to avoid it, it is just that I don't think it would be prudent to (..inaudible..) with you those details.

Official Spokesperson:Thank you very much. With that we come to the end of this media interaction.

sorcerer

Country flag
India to Help in Evacuating Sri Lankans From Yemen
India has acceded to Sri Lanka's request to evacuate stranded Sri Lankans along with Indian nationals from strife-torn Yemen, the Foreign Ministry said here.

There are reportedly around 75-100 Sri Lankan expatriates, including students, in Yemen, PTI said.

Due to the volatile situation in the country, Sri Lanka is making arrangements to evacuate all Sri Lankans in Yemen, who are principally residing in the capital Sanaa and other main cities, such as Hodeida, Aden and Mukalla.

"The Government of Sri Lanka has sought the assistance of the UN Office in Sanaa and the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) in Colombo in the evacuation efforts," the Foreign Ministry said in statement yesterday.

"The Indian Government has promptly acceded to the request of the Government of Sri Lanka to bring the stranded Sri Lankans along with Indian nationals in Yemen, who are to be evacuated by air and sea on special flights and ships respectively," it said.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in coordination with the Sri Lanka Embassy in Muscat, which is concurrently accredited to Yemen, is exploring all possible avenues to ensure the safe return of the Sri Lankans, the statement said.

The Sri Lanka mission in Muscat is in contact with some Sri Lankans in Yemen, who are directly monitoring the welfare of the Sri Lankans in their present locations.
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Ajith P Perera, in his capacity as Acting Minister, had last week instructed the Sri Lanka High Commission in New Delhi and the Sri Lanka Embassy in Muscat to liaise with India's Ministry of External Affairs of India and the Indian Embassies in Muscat and Sanaa to coordinate the evacuation process, the statement said.

Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera, too has issued directives to the High Commissioner of Sri Lanka in Kenya and the Charge d'Affaires in Muscat to go to Djibouti to support the operation and coordinate with the Indian officials.

"The Ministry continues to closely monitor the situation in Yemen and is making every effort to ensure the safe evacuation of Sri Lankans in Yemen back home," the statement said.

Saudi-led coalition warplanes have been pounding Yemen's Shiite rebels, destroying missiles and weapons depots and for the first time using warships to bomb the rebel-held airport and eastern outskirts of the port city of Aden.

India to Help in Evacuating Sri Lankans From Yemen / Sputnik India English - News, Opinion, Radio

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Indian Army Offers Lanka Technical Assistance
General_Dalbir_Singh_Suhag_in_Sri_Lanka.jpg

Gen. Dalbir Singh Suhag meeting with Former Army Commander Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka

The Indian army today offered Sri Lanka technical assistance to upgrade the military requirements in the Sri Lanka army.

Indian Army Chief, General Dalbir Singh Suhag made the offer when he met his Sri Lankan counterpart, Lieutenant General Crishanthe De Silva at the army headquarters in Colombo today.
The army media unit said that during the discussion, both General Dalbir Singh and Lieutenant General Crishanthe De Silva recalled the historic relations that have existed between two nations for generations and memories during the 1987 deployment of the Indian
Peacekeeping Force (IPKF) in Sri Lanka. General Dalbir Singh served as a young Company Commander in the IPKF, one of the first units to be inducted at that time to fight against the LTTE. Both military chiefs during
the meet at the Commander’s office shared views on current issues in the region and stressed the need to resolve them in an amicable manner with exchange of vital information.
General Dalbir Singh highlighted the importance of modernizing the Sri Lanka army to suit international standards to be geared to meet with different types of emerging threats, including cyber attacks.
Lieutenant General Crishanthe De Silva in turn appreciated such assistance and requested the Indian Army to explore possibilities of new areas of training.
Talks also focused on ongoing training modules that are relevant to both organizations. The visiting Army Chief assured support for continuance of training programmes, spearheaded by the Sri Lanka army, and both of them mutually agreed to broaden those horizons in the near future. While expressing willingness to further foster friendly defence ties with Sri Lanka, General Dalbir Singh also offered his army’s technical assistance for upgrading of military requirements in the Sri Lanka army. General Dalbir Singh Suhag also paid a courtesy call on the State Minister of Defence Ruwan Wijewardene at the Ministry premises, Defence Secretary Karunasena Hettiarachchi and former army commander Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Modi govt. turns new chapter in Indo-Lanka relations

( January 19, 2016, Colombo, Sri Lanka Guardian) India’s most powerful warship, an aircraft carrier, will arrive in Sri Lanka later this week turning a new chapter in Indo-Lanka relations. The 44,500 tonne INS Vikramaditya will berth at the port of Colombo on Thursday. Having commissioned the warship in November 2013 in Russia, India inducted the vessel in June 2014. Naval sources told the local media that an aircraft carrier hadn’t made a port of call here for over two decades. The Navy will welcome the Indian flagship in a special way. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was here on a two-day official visit last March. He was the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Sri Lanka in 27 years. Sources said the Indian Premier’s visit paved the way for enhanced post-war partnership with India. A US aircraft carrier was the last such vessel to visit Colombo. Flagship INS Vikramaditya, formerly of the Soviet fleet and then of the Russian navy, is the second aircraft carrier currently operated by the Indian Navy. India commissioned its first aircraft carrier INS Viraat in 1987. The Indian Navy continues to retain the services of a group of Russian specialists to obtain technical advice as regards the operation of various systems and mechanism. –The Island
Modi govt. turns new chapter in Indo-Lanka relations

k murali

Visiting Sri Lanka earlier this month I was once again struck by the difference between civic sense there and in India. This is partially responsible for Sri Lanka being 73rd on the United Nations Human Development Index while India is much lower at 130. Civic sense has been defined as “the norms of society that help it run smoothly without tripping on each… Hindustan Times - Jan 31 13:28 GMT

http://www.tamilcanadian.com/news/

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Visiting Sri Lanka earlier this month I was once again struck by the difference between civic sense there and in India. This is partially responsible for Sri Lanka being 73rd on the United Nations Human Development Index while India is much lower at 130. Civic sense has been defined as “the norms of society that help it run smoothly without tripping on each… Hindustan Times - Jan 31 13:28 GMT

http://www.tamilcanadian.com/news/
But Sri Lanka annually gets aid from India. Yet this aid is nothing for a large Nationlarge like India, it helps to add good development attributes in Sri Lanka.
Anyway, India is growing much faster to catch up with them.

k murali

Sri Lanka is kicking India at the behind by signing economic and military agreements with both Pakistan and china.

While India gifts things to Sri Lanka, Pakistan sells outdated weapons for profit.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles