Indo-Israeli missiles venture fails to take off

Vishwarupa

Country flag
HYDERABAD: The joint venture between India's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Israeli Aerospace Industry to manufacture Long Range Surface-to-Air Missile (LR SAM) and Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missile (MR-SAM) has turned out to be a non-starter.

The long range missiles were to have been delivered to the Indian Navy by 2012 while the medium range missiles should be in the Indian Air Force weaponry by 2017. However, both the delivery schedules are way behind schedule and show no signs of meeting them even in the near future.

DRDO officials are blaming the lack of progress in the joint venture due to lack of transparency and non-transfer of technology by their Israeli counterparts. And the recent trials that were conducted by the Indian defence organization failed to meet the standards of both the IAF and the Indian Navy. The entire cost of Rs 12,500 crore of the joint venture is being funded by India and the inordinate delay and lack of progress in the project has turned into a big cause of worry in the defence ministry.

According to sources, the LR-SAMs project was commissioned in 2006 and the delivery of the missiles to the Indian Navy should have happened by 2012. Similarly, the MR-SAM venture was signed in 2009 and the missiles are to be delivered to the Indian Air Force by 2017. Both both the projects are way behind schedule and show no signs of making progress.

"Frankly speaking, right now, not much is going on in the joint venture due to various issues between the two sides. Expecting Israel to share its technology with India is unfair. But such things should have been clarified before the joint venture was entered into," said an official.

DRDO is maintaining that it is because of the lack of transfer of technology that the trials that have been conducted so far have ended up as failures. "Industries are merely getting the drawings as to how to produce certain systems and such things are leading to deviations from the laid down specifications because the knowledge to develop the systems is not being imparted," said the sources.

DRDO officials are also attributing the delay to complicated and long procedure involving shuttling between India and Israel for various stages of development of a system etc. The Hyderabad-based Indian defence organization also reportedly found itself helpless on problems in propulsion system and other related issues while a significant number of parts or systems are yet to be tested following a delay in manufacturing.

However, when quizzed on the issue, DRDO Director General Avinash Chander told TOI that nothing was amiss. "Everything is going on as per the plan and development trials are on. We shall be able to deliver the MR-SAMs as per schedule. Right now, the contribution from India in the joint venture project is about 20% and would ultimately reach 80% in the final stages."

Regarding the already delayed LR-SAM, DRDO officials are not coming on record. MR-SAM, one of the major demands of the forces, is to have a range of 70 kms or so, and the IAF is banking on replacing its ageing Soviet-made Pechora SAM missiles with the MR-SAMs. But nobody is sure how long the wait is going to be, and whether the delivery will take place at all.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...re-fails-to-take-off/articleshow/25749188.cms

muralidon924

Country flag
investing 12500 crores was a waste and why are we succumbing to their pressure i dont understand.:confused:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
investing 12500 crores was a waste and why are we succumbing to their pressure i dont understand.:confused:
India is weak in advanced seeker technology. So they are seeking help from Israel. Plus DRDO wants 70 per cent of the content in the missile to be indigenous. As of August 2013 Israel is refitting its Sa'ar 5-class corvettes with Barak 8.

muralidon924

Country flag
we maybe weak in tech but the thing i dont understand is they are ripping us off they want to sell the baraks and not give the techology, :nono: i mean how dare they do this to us if we say we will not buy israeli products they will come begging to us,the whole world is exploiting in indian arms industry if they screw us we can easily find another one.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
we maybe weak in tech but the thing i dont understand is they are ripping us off they want to sell the baraks and not give the techology, :nono: i mean how dare they do this to us if we say we will not buy israeli products they will come begging to us,the whole world is exploiting in indian arms industry if they screw us we can easily find another one.

You think? India went rushing to Israel for arty shells during Kargil and they "obliged" at a premium. Get real son. They have the tech. Its like the MasterCard commercial, there are something's money can't buy. Mil Tech is one of them. You have to develop it yourself. Only fools in Indian decision making bodies think they can throw $$$ and get someone to part with tech. Not even the Russians did that.

Blackwater

You think? India went rushing to Israel for arty shells during Kargil and they "obliged" at a premium. Get real son. They have the tech. Its like the MasterCard commercial, there are something's money can't buy. Mil Tech is one of them. You have to develop it yourself. Only fools in Indian decision making bodies think they can throw $$$ and get someone to part with tech. Not even the Russians did that.
i think yusuf bhai, IL-76 were sent to south afrika to buy arty shells(bofors) at premium price not israel during kargil:cool2::cool2::p:p

muralidon924

Country flag
we all know that israeli sam are the best in the world but the thing we dont realise is that we dont need the best tech in the world we just need to counter the chinese tech and russia offers us the best option but we indians just waste money by going for unwanted millitary deals and yusuf i beleive money can get you anything.

Blackwater

@Yusuf bhai no clarification on southafrika or Israel during kargil???

Last edited by a moderator:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we all know that israeli sam are the best in the world but the thing we dont realise is that we dont need the best tech in the world we just need to counter the chinese tech and russia offers us the best option but we indians just waste money by going for unwanted millitary deals and yusuf i beleive money can get you anything.
In real world this is not the case.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles