INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
"we have an American LPD in service" ????what are you referring here?

I will say we can go for another Vikrant Class AC.
INS jalashwa........................................................................................................................................................

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
INS jalashwa........................................................................................................................................................
Thanks for the info :p
What are you referring here ? You are comparing Apples with Oranges? How can they be an alternative to an AC.
Are you implying that we must build or acquire smaller vessels and not AC?
These are 16000 tonnes where as we are talking about AC which are more than 40000 Tonnes.

There purpose and role is different from the AC.

Thats why I asked what are you referring to here?

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Thanks for the info :p
What are you referring here ? You are comparing Apples with Oranges? How can they be an alternative to an AC.
Are you implying that we must build or acquire smaller vessels and not AC?
These are 16000 tonnes where as we are talking about AC which are more than 40000 Tonnes.

There purpose and role is different from the AC.

Thats why I asked what are you referring to here?
Someone mentioned an american LPD in service of IN,so i referred to ins jalashwa.

We better have mix of conventional AC and Nuclear AC.

Keep things economical and letheal

Reactions: Kay

Pulkit

Country flag
Someone mentioned an american LPD in service of IN,so i referred to ins jalashwa.

That's what i said at the very beginning.1 Nuclear and 3 Conventional AC.

Filtercoffee

Country flag

Yes, we have an american LPD in service and Pulkit's point on having another Vikrant class is what I was saying before. All ships can be converted with a nuclear poweplant. So as a series we need a 2nd 40000+ ton aircraft carrier before vishal class which can be made in tandem as well.

Thrishul

Country flag
Juan Carlos is a heavy class, as much as Viraat. We need San-Antonio since we have an American LPD in service or Dokdo which is lighter, and can accomadate Tejas for CAS.
The San Antonio weighs in at 26,000 tons while the Juan Carlos weighs in at 27,000 tons.
Based upon the calculations the LCA-N Mk2 requires 200 meters deck space to land safely. the Juan carlos has a deck space of 230 meters.
The Dokdo Class is 199 meters, i.e. too small for the LCA Navy.
I am favoring the Juan Carlos because it has been short listed by the Navy along with the Mistral.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
The San Antonio weighs in at 26,000 tons while the Juan Carlos weighs in at 27,000 tons.
Based upon the calculations the LCA-N Mk2 requires 200 meters deck space to land safely. the Juan carlos has a deck space of 230 meters.
The Dokdo Class is 199 meters, i.e. too small for the LCA Navy.
I am favoring the Juan Carlos because it has been short listed by the Navy along with the Mistral.
Could the Dokdo be streched to 220 meters just for fligh operations? I am asking you this since we have familiarity with U.S. amphids and R.O.K. Navy too does operate some U.S. equipment.

Thrishul

Country flag
Could the Dokdo be streched to 220 meters just for fligh operations? I am asking you this since we have familiarity with U.S. amphids and R.O.K. Navy too does operate some U.S. equipment.
The Spanish Navy has a better inter-operability with the USN than the ROK.
It will have to be lengthened and given a jump ramp which increases the cast.
The juan carlos will require lesser modifications
Both cost around $600 million as is.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
The Spanish Navy has a better inter-operability with the USN than the ROK.
It will have to be lengthened and given a jump ramp which increases the cast.
The juan carlos will require lesser modifications
Both cost around $600 million as is.
After taking all the dificulties in modification into consideration for Dokdo I prefer it to Juan Carlos as the hot bed these days is south China sea. There was the Spanish - American war and most of the tech was built, some where; to counter the Spaniah Navy. We opperate one U.S. amphid; a show of rememberance. Buying Juan Carlos class ampids is a very bad move according to me and so is the Mistral as the Russian navy rejected them and sent them to Egypt. It will be a pathetic choice for deep warfare discussions in the future.

Last edited:

Thrishul

Country flag
After taking all the dificulties in modification into consideration for Dokdo I prefer it to Juan Carlos as the hot bed these days is south China sea. There was the Spanish - American war and most of the tech was built, some where; to counter the Spaniah Navy. We opperate one U.S. amphid; a show of rememberance. Buying a Juan Carlos class ampid is a very bad move according to me and so is the Mistral as the Russian navy rejected it and sent them to Egypt. It will be a pathetic choice for deep warfare discussions in the future.
You have got to realise that South Korea is toeing the Chinese line because they are their largest trade partner.
The Spanish American War occurred in the late 1800's. The Spanish Navy has AEGIS equipped destroyers.
The US navy also has a flotilla based in Spain.
US Marines have operated off the Juan Carlos with Ospreys and other helicopters.
The Juan Carlos is actually classified as a Light CV in the Spanish Navy too with all the infrastructure to operate fixed wing fighters.

Filtercoffee

Country flag
You have got to realise that South Korea is toeing the Chinese line because they are their largest trade partner.
The Spanish American War occurred in the late 1800's. The Spanish Navy has AEGIS equipped destroyers.
The US navy also has a flotilla based in Spain.
US Marines have operated off the Juan Carlos with Ospreys and other helicopters.
The Juan Carlos is actually classified as a Light CV in the Spanish Navy too with all the infrastructure to operate fixed wing fighters.
If you connect these points you might see a pattern. I hope the intel is true for future show of solidarity. It's my personal rejection for the selected as I feel they are an overly done burden for naval forces.

Last edited:

indiandefencefan

Country flag
As we speak there is one SSN right now in construction if i am not wrong being done by L&T details about this was quoted here in DFI by some member forgotten which thread it was ..
I could not find any information in reference to this.
It is an SSBN not an SSN. It is tentatively called INS Aridhaman and is is being constructed by a consortium of private companies and PSUs not just L&T.
Indian SSN is in very early design stage.

captscooby81

Country flag
INS Aridaman has completed construction and is already at sea trials.

It is an SSBN not an SSN. It is tentatively called INS Aridhaman and is is being constructed by a consortium of private companies and PSUs not just L&T.
Indian SSN is in very early design stage.

Dharmapalas

Country flag
Why one nuclear?
With Nuclear you get large number of benefits.
Its like having a conventional Sub on one side and nuclear sub on another.

At the time of war a nuclear powered AC will have the obvious advantages.
No need to refill, unlimited Range etc.
No currently India is not planning to send any to far away waters but having one of nuclear power will be of great advantage.
But you also need the ships that protect carriers to have unlimited range, is not like any country would send an AC out there on its own.

IMO a nuclear power AC seems like a waste of money (good for tech research).

Nuclear subs are understandable, the are lone hunters, but for AC you need a large force to travel with it.

Size and the ability to land a cargo plane (smallish) is way more important.

Dharmapalas

Country flag
After taking all the dificulties in modification into consideration for Dokdo I prefer it to Juan Carlos as the hot bed these days is south China sea. There was the Spanish - American war and most of the tech was built, some where; to counter the Spaniah Navy. We opperate one U.S. amphid; a show of rememberance. Buying Juan Carlos class ampids is a very bad move according to me and so is the Mistral as the Russian navy rejected them and sent them to Egypt. It will be a pathetic choice for deep warfare discussions in the future.
The economic sanctions on Russia sent the Mistral to Egypt.

Pulkit

Country flag
But you also need the ships that protect carriers to have unlimited range, is not like any country would send an AC out there on its own.

IMO a nuclear power AC seems like a waste of money (good for tech research).

Nuclear subs are understandable, the are lone hunters, but for AC you need a large force to travel with it.

Size and the ability to land a cargo plane (smallish) is way more important.
Yes we need ships to protect it..... It acts like a mother ship.... Those smaller ships are supported by the AC.
Though as it's an complete weapon it can sail alone....it can withstand any threat on it own.
Nuclear has great advantages.... We need one.
Ability to launch multiple aircrafts is very important as it projects power and imprints fear in the hearts of enemies....

indiandefencefan

Country flag
INS Aridaman has completed construction and is already at sea trials.
Sea trials does not mean construction per say is over. Often times problems are found which are later rectified or the engineers decide to change something on the vessel based on what they found during the trials.
To give an example the Arihant was being worked on almost till the day of induction.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles