INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^No it cannot.. only MKIs amongst fighterjets can...

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Can Mig-29K carry Brahmos?
Nope, way too heavy for the Fulcrum. As Singhji said, MKIs can carry it. (I think it is also intended for launch from some Tupolev maritime aircraft, cannot remember the exact one)

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^Tu-142 and Il-38 can carry Brahmos ALCM.

A.V.

even the MKI,s in its present configuration cannot carry the brahmos they need to alter a bit to fit in the brahmos so it will take time not before 2012, also i guess the new MKI that are being made will be MKI+ standard which will have the air version of brahmos plus some updates not confirmation about exact details.
i would like to see the AESA radar on the new MKI s too.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Yep, and I suspect that given the size of the Brahmos, the MKIs can only carry it under the fuselage in place of extra fuel tanks (I suspect) and not on wingtips...

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yep, and I suspect that given the size of the Brahmos, the MKIs can only carry it under the fuselage in place of extra fuel tanks (I suspect) and not on wingtips...
Sir I dont think The Su 30MKI has any wet hard points and is dependent only on internal fuel and IFR. More knowledgeable persons can shed some light on this. Then what AShM will the MIG 29 field?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
^^satishji good question, please make a new thread.. lets keep the focus here on IAC/ADS

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Sir I dont think The Su 30MKI has any wet hard points and is dependent only on internal fuel and IFR. More knowledgeable persons can shed some light on this. Then what AShM will the MIG 29 field?
Hmmm... strange... but, I'm sure it has buddy refuelling system... Maybe Vayusena or other members can shed light on the external fuel tanks issue...

ant80

Hello sirs. New here. Is there any talk of incorporating technologies like EMALS in the foreseeable future?

J

John

KH-31A, KH-35E and Sea eagles, Anti ship missiles can be deployed from the Mig-29K.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Hello sirs. New here. Is there any talk of incorporating technologies like EMALS in the foreseeable future?
No, ADS dont plan to use EMALS or even steam catapult. ADS is too small to employ such features. I doubt India has capability for even for steam catapult. As for EMALS no except US might be currently possessing the technology or capabilities to deploy EMALS.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Certainly a good technology that. Will reduce space required for steam catapults and its maintenance.
India should look at this option on future carriers.

ant80

No, ADS dont plan to use EMALS or even steam catapult. ADS is too small to employ such features. I doubt India has capability for even for steam catapult. As for EMALS no except US might be currently possessing the technology or capabilities to deploy EMALS.
Thank you for the information. I just looked it up and the aircraft are STOBAR. According to the wikipedia, STOBAR only works with "light, and lightly armed, fighter aircraft that have a high thrust to weight ratio." Since Kaveri is having problems, I guess we can't expect the LCA to be standard until the kinks have been ironed out.

On the other hand, since this thread has raised the possibility of there being a higher displacement nuclear propelled aircraft carrier after the 2nd one that's likely going to be ordered, is there any knowledge of whether those would include the catapult or EMALS systems or is it too early to speculate on that?

If we are opting to go for a nuclear carrier after this, I think it would be prudent to skip the catapult system and go directly to the EMALS system because that would be much more efficient. However, whether the technical difficulty and knowhow is likely to be achievable by the Indian designers at this time is unknown.

I understand that this is jumping the gun at this point but it is just fun to speculate on these things.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
On the other hand, since this thread has raised the possibility of there being a higher displacement nuclear propelled aircraft carrier after the 2nd one that's likely going to be ordered, is there any knowledge of whether those would include the catapult or EMALS systems or is it too early to speculate on that?

If we are opting to go for a nuclear carrier after this, I think it would be prudent to skip the catapult system and go directly to the EMALS system because that would be much more efficient. However, whether the technical difficulty and knowhow is likely to be achievable by the Indian designers at this time is unknown.

I understand that this is jumping the gun at this point but it is just fun to speculate on these things.
There not going to be a higher displacement ship with nuclear propulsion in ADS class ship. The design has already be frozen for this ships.

ant80

There not going to be a higher displacement ship with nuclear propulsion in ADS class ship. The design has already be frozen for this ships.
I read what you're saying, but I don't quite understand what you mean. I was speculating on nitish's post here, especially the bolded part.

The keel of India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, to be the second warship christened INS Vikrant, will be laid on February 28 at Kochi. But it is now clear that while Cochin Shipyards will build three aircraft carriers in the current 37,500-ton category (the second and third are to be christened INS Viraat and INS Vishaal apparently), design work has already begun in earnest to develop and build two more aircraft carriers with not only much larger displacements, but possibly nuclear propulsion as well.
I hope this is true. If they do, then I hope we skip the catapult technology and go directly to the EMALS at this stage.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I read what you're saying, but I don't quite understand what you mean.
I meant that the design for ADA class ship has been finalized so that there manufacturing process could be started.
Adding a system like steam catapult or EMALS is not fieasible.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles