INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
Ordering another Vikrant class carrier will ensure that, India will not lose skillsets and experience of building carrier.
My point is that CATOBAR carriers are expensive as hell, to build and to maintain. Do we need such heavy piece of machinery? To counter China these Vikrant class carriers will do in the case of an armed conflict (which I personally doubt ever happen). CATOBAR carriers are only needed if India wants to project power beyond India ocean (most likely South China Sea). But then again so many countries are monitoring those waters these days.:p

Nietzche_Z

Country flag
Ordering another Vikrant class carrier will ensure that, India will not lose skillsets and experience of building carrier.
yes, and ensure that the costs are 75% of Vikrant and the build time is halved. Build more NLCAs and put them on it forget the Mig 29s or F18 SH or Rafale M. In fact start churning out Vikrant class aircraft carriers with progressively less cost and time using other shipyards like MDL or L&T. A fleet of 5 or 6 Vikrant class ACs will be formidable. The Indian ocean will be an Indian lake. Plus operational and deployment flexibility. 2 Vikrants with a carrier air group of approx 80 fighters is almost equivalent to a US supercarrier. Plus the enemy has to kill two ships not one reducing single point of failure.

Shashwat

Country flag
My point is that CATOBAR carriers are expensive as hell, to build and to maintain. Do we need such heavy piece of machinery? To counter China these Vikrant class carriers will do in the case of an armed conflict (which I personally doubt ever happen). CATOBAR carriers are only needed if India wants to project power beyond India ocean (most likely South China Sea). But then again so many countries are monitoring those waters these days.:p
What nonsense is this? Your understanding of Catobar/launch system and Super carrier are all messed up.

Catobar and Stobar has nothing to do with Carrier size. Sure operating Catobar is costly and prone to breakup but the advantage of extra load out during launch and ability to launch any kind of plane is unparalleled.

The 1st AC India operated (INS Vikrant 1) was half of IAC1 in displacement and yet it was a catobar carrier. Heck even CDG of French Navy is in line with IAC1 but with Catapult launch and Nuclear power. So launch system and size of carriers has nothing in conjugation.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
What nonsense is this? Your understanding of Catobar/launch system and Super carrier are all messed up.

Catobar and Stobar has nothing to do with Carrier size. Sure operating Catobar is costly and prone to breakup but the advantage of extra load out during launch and ability to launch any kind of plane is unparalleled.

The 1st AC India operated (INS Vikrant 1) was half of IAC1 in displacement and yet it was a catobar carrier. Heck even CDG of French Navy is in line with IAC1 but with Catapult launch and Nuclear power. So launch system and size of carriers has nothing in conjugation.
Dude!! when did I spoke about carrier size?

Filltercoffee

Country flag
I know another 40000 ton aircraft carrier (Viraat 2?) in the Vikrant configuration as C S L has issued can be completed in record time of not more then 5 to 6 years is better then a 10 or more years of nervous gloomy defence personnel wait.

Also why do we have to buy French aircraft for the carrier fleet when we have Naval L C As with General Electric engines. The show of dancing with the neighborhood mass terror camp with foreign equipment
is done, forever.

I am taking my pinch of salt and claiming a total loss of time, engineering personnel and excessive diverse pilot training coupled with man handling a whole new type of aircraft, not similar in technology architecture to what the carrier is confirmed to carry. As I hope you understand the trails and biggest errors of past oneness of colonizing each other and working for a big goal is a failure, permanently.

"Another batch of MIG 29 Ks and SHs with the upcoming ORCA configuration please!"

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
I know another 40000 ton aircraft carrier (Viraat 2?) in the Vikrant configuration as C S L has issued can be completed in record time of not more then 5 to 6 years is better then a 10 or more years of nervous gloomy defence personnel wait.

Also why do we have to buy French aircraft for the carrier fleet when we have Naval L C As with General Electric engines. The show of dancing with the neighborhood mass terror camp with foreign equipment
is done, forever.

I am taking my pinch of salt and claiming a total loss of time, engineering personnel and excessive diverse pilot training coupled with man handling a whole new type of aircraft, not similar in technology architecture to what the carrier is confirmed to carry. As I hope you understand the trails and biggest errors of past oneness of colonizing each other and working for a big goal is a failure, permanently.

"Another batch of MIG 29 Ks and SHs with the upcoming ORCA configuration please!"

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk
STOBAR carriers at their best are suited for coastal defence. Ski jump limits the amount of payload a deck based fighter can carry. Whatever be the size of the next aircraft carrier, it must be CATOBAR at all costs.

Filltercoffee

Country flag
STOBAR carriers at their best are suited for coastal defence. Ski jump limits the amount of payload a deck based fighter can carry. Whatever be the size of the next aircraft carrier, it must be CATOBAR at all costs.
Buying two Nimitz class carriers being decommissioned shortly is the best option, this comes after CV-63 USS Kitty Hawk was offered before.

If C S L chooses not to make a whole new type from ground up, will be due to time the gap.

Blue Water Navy

Zeroed
Country flag
I don't agree. With current requirements its not necessary that we get a CATOBAR AC for our Navy. Its more of a luxury then a necessity. As, India is still a developing economy and we have to put our 'paisa' in good use. So, its best to have a second Vikrant class AC which will be a STOBAR.

And there is also another fact that building two carriers consecutively it will immensely increase the skill set of our work force and trust worthiness.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
I never believed it will be ready this year. My hope was for next year but due to this virus it is effectively delayed for another 1 and half years ( maybe more) ..
Sed reacts only .........................

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Lockdown brings construction of Indigenous Aircraft Carrier to a halt in Kochi

Currently, it is estimated that IAC will be commissioned as INS Vikrant in the year 2022.

Published: 30th March 2020 02:41 AM | Last Updated: 30th March 2020 02:41 AM

By Toby Antony
Express News Service

KOCHI: The 21-day lockdown following the outbreak of Covid-19 has temporarily halted the construction works of the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) project in Cochin Shipyard. However, the shipyard is looking to make up for the time loss with overtime duty schedule once the lockdown is lifted.

According to sources in Cochin Shipyard, all the construction activities have been stopped due to the lockdown and precautions taken as part of Covid-19 outbreak. “As most of the workers and engineers come from outside, the construction activities, including that of IAC, have been put on hold temporarily. It would be a difficult task to meet the target of April to start sea trial. However, some of the essential services in the shipyard are still going on,” a source said.

However, another official said that the IAC project will not be delayed due to lockdown. “The current lockdown will have no impact on a long-term project like IAC. We can meet the deadline by arranging overtime work. With three-four hours of overtime work, the time loss can be covered easily. We expect to complete the work and conduct the sea trial in the next few months,” he said.

Currently, it is estimated that IAC will be commissioned as INS Vikrant in the year 2022. As part of it, the sea trial has to be conducted this year itself. Last month, the Ministry of Defence stated that IAC construction is in an advanced stage. All four gas turbines and main engines were started. Diesel Alternators for Power Generation Systems were readied. Currently, the trial of the ship’s auxiliary equipment was held. The IAC had completed the pre-contractor’s sea trials dry dock work package in December.

Initially, the deadline to deliver the ship was 2018, but it was delayed due to issues in procuring aviation equipment. In September last year, hardware items of the IAC went missing from Multi-Function Consoles (MFCs) of the Integrated Platform Management System (IPMS) in the vessel. The theft is probed by the National Investigation Agency (NIA).

https://www.newindianexpress.com/ci...craft-carrier-to-a-halt-in-kochi-2123197.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles