INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
What India really needs is the defence budget to be atleast 2.5% of the GDP( around $80 bn)
I want to ask questions regarding this to you and all here.
Isn't the amount from budget must be taken?
WE have a budget of 387 billion dollars, so we can spend from that only na.
This gdp I don't understand, what we can spend come from budget and also from revenue if you want to include that too.
I think this percent of gdp is SHAM because government can take only that much that is being given and then make allocations according to that only.
By the way the revenue was hovering around 470 billion dollars.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
I want to ask questions regarding this to you and all here.
Isn't the amount from budget must be taken?
WE have a budget of 387 billion dollars, so we can spend from that only na.
This gdp I don't understand, what we can spend come from budget and also from revenue if you want to include that too.
I think this percent of gdp is SHAM because government can take only that much that is being given and then make allocations according to that only.
Who said India's defence budget is 387 billion dollars. I am saying 80 billion dollars at the current gdp, that is likely to increase albeit at a slower pace considering the economic conditions.
Most countries spend a certain percentage of their gdp yearly. For eg. China spends 1.9% of its GDP on defence, which roughly equates 250 billion us dollars.
The NDA govt is committed to spending close to 130 billion dollars on modernization for the next 5 to 7 years.
The defence budget is announced yearly when the parliamentary budget is declared.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Also, it is high time that our shipyards upgrade to modern construction techniques like modular construction which will significantly shorten time taken to build ships like destroyers, frigates.
Currently we are taking 7 years to build a destroyer and around 5-6 years to build a frigate.
This time must come down to 4-5 years for a destroyer and 3-4 years for a frigate.
China in the span of 11 years built and commissioned 30 Type 54 frigates and 11 Type 52D destroyers in 7-8 years.
Also, L&T shipyards should be given more orders to build our Navy's frigates and destroyers.
L&T shipyards have already shown that they are more efficient than our public shipyards.
If L&T can tale up critical projects like our nulcear submarines project then it would not be a tough task to build destroyers, frigates for them.

Bhurki

This time must come down to 4-5 years for a destroyer and 3-4 years for a frigate.
China in the span of 11 years built and commissioned 30 Type 54 frigates and 11 Type 52D destroyers in 7-8 years.
China is a $14T economy.
India is a $3T economy.
Sitting behind a computer screen and blabbering crap doesn't change much..

$300B*

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I simply don't get the Navy's obsession with a 3rd aircraft carrier. We barely have frigates, destroyers, submarines to sustain 2 Carrier Battle Groups.
The Navy should focus more on submarines and minesweepers. Our Kilo class and Type 209 class subs are on their last legs and we immediately need more subs. The best and cheapest option is to go for 9 additional improved Scorpene class subs. This will reduce the logisitical stress faced by the Navy in operating 3 different types of conventional subs and will also give us 15 modern subs(not counting kilo and type 209 subs).
Minesweepers are badly needed and we must go for whichever company that is offering ToT and not waste time in tenders.
The construction of frigates seem to be on track but we need to up the construction speed and look to induct the new frigates as quickly as possible.
Another issue is the slow construction speed and piecemeal order size of the destroyers. Instead of ordering just 3-4 destroyers per class we must look to order 10 destroyers per class and reduce the construction time taken down to 5 years from the current 7 years.

Frigates is a good force multiplier for the navy. It's cheaper than a DDG. And you can customize these frigates with different mission systems.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
China is a $14T economy.
India is a $3T economy.
Sitting behind a computer screen and blabbering crap doesn't change much..

$300B*
Hey idiot, I am just saying that whatever ships that are under construction should have significantly shorter construction time if we are to maintain our supremacy in the IOR. The funds for these ships have already been allocated, from where the f*ck did the GDP comparison come in.
The foreign reserves of India are $447 billion as of 8th November 2019.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Frigates is a good force multiplier for the navy. It's cheaper than a DDG. And you can customize these frigates with different mission systems.
Yes frigates are much cheaper and great force multipliers, also with the Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles they are extremely lethal.
And at 6,700 tons, the new P17A frigates are basically "mini-destroyers".
Thank god that 7 P17A frigates are being built and not piecemeal order of 3-4.
If all frigates are delivered by 2025, then it would be a record for us and our shipyards for delivering 7 ships in 8 years.(Construction of 1st one started in 2017).

Bhurki

The funds for these ships have already been allocated, from where the f*ck did the GDP comparison come in.
The foreign reserves of India are $447 billion as of 8th November 2019.
Hey dimwit...
Low gdp=Low defense budget=Low ship numbers= No economies of Scale= Higher unit cost. Its as simple as that, though, i guess you're a new knucklehead, it'll take you some time to get it.
Also there's a difference between Revenue and Reserves..
And at 6,700 tons, the new P17A frigates are basically "mini-destroyers".
Even if they are 'mini destroyers', they cost the same as 'full destroyers'.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Hey dimwit...
Low gdp=Low defense budget=Low ship numbers= No economies of Scale= Higher unit cost. Its as simple as that, though, i guess you're a new knucklehead, it'll take you some time to get it.
Also there's a difference between Revenue and Reserves..

Even if they are 'mini destroyers', they cost the same as 'full destroyers'.
The previous Shivalik class frigates took 10 goddamn years to be built.
And these new frigates cost nowhere near $1 billion per piece, at the max $500 million.
If the order size increases, the cost per ship decreases. Get that thing in your pea sized brain if you can.
I am a member of multiple defence forums for the past 2 years, you shithead.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
The previous Shivalik class frigates took 10 goddamn years to be built.
And these new frigates cost nowhere near $1 billion per piece, at the max $500 million.
If the order size increases, the cost per ship decreases. Get that thing in your pea sized brain if you can.
I am a member of multiple defence forums for the past 2 years, you shithead.
10 years in a so called perfect economic conditions.

Bhurki

Mr. Bellend, please check project cost of Nilgiri class, Vishakhapatnam class.
Also, if that doesn't enter the hole you'd call a brain, just check their subsystems' prices and compare, and add the incremented cost of labour to it all.
If the order size increases, the cost per ship decreases.
Only if your thick head could get what I meant by economies of scale.
10 years in a so called perfect economic conditions.
None of the shivaliks took more than 7 years from keel to commission. Considering it was a newer kind of design implementing integrated hull structure, and the dock's first try at it, thats not a bad deal.
This year's defence budget($54bn) was the highest of all the defence budgets announced in the previous years.
Out of $54bn, only $1.8bn was for shipbuilding

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Also, if that doesn't enter the hole you'd call a brain, just check their subsystems' prices and compare, and add the incremented cost of labour to it all.

None of the shivaliks took more than 7 years from keel to commission. Considering it was a newer kind of design implementing integrated hull structure, and the dock's first try at it, thats not a bad deal.

Ok,ok. You win. Happy.

Ok, ok. You win. Happy. No point quarrelling with you. Would not solve Navy's problems. But a higher needs to be allocated.
Ok, you win. Happy. But the Navy needs a serious budget upgrade once the economic conditions become better.

rohit b3

Country flag

Only if your thick head could get what I meant by economies of scale.

Shivalik took 9 years.
One of my relative worked at GRSE. The excuse he gave was lack of modular construction (which we have now) and the tough summer heats. He said workers entered small areas for the purpose of welding and in some cases even fainted due to the heat.
I guess the other reasons would be obviously...limited budget. Empowering 100 construction workers will make sure the work is completed faster compared to for example..50.
Another is foreign parts. Delay by these foreign companies hampers the whole project.

Bhurki

I picked that source from Wikipedia and that was also picked from government source, you can check.
Wikipedia includes revenues from state budgets as well. Defense spending is dependent solely on federal budgets.

f3243007008

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India's indigenous aircraft carrier to sail by 2011: Indian Navy chief

NEW DELHI: Progressing towards self-reliance in the defence industry, India's first indigenous aircraft carrier will be in the waters by 2011,

Indian Navy chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said Wednesday.

The under-construction aircraft carrier will be ready in two years.

"Our indigenous aircraft carrier is being constructed in Kochi. It has been three years since the work started. On Feb 28, what we call keel laying of the carrier will take place," Mehta told reporters here.

The building of a ship can be divided into seven phases: design, construction planning, work prior to keel laying, ship erection, launching, final outfitting, and sea trials.

"Many of the parts have already been constructed. My estimate is that it should be in the water in two years," Mehta said.

The aircraft carrier is expected to have 40,000 tonne displacement capacity at an estimated cost of Rs.3,000 crore (Rs.30 billion).

The Indian Navy is currently operating only one full deck aircraft carrier, the INS Viraat, also the only one being operated by a country in Asia or Western Pacific. In a bid to become a true-blue water navy, the Indian Navy is expected to operate three aircraft carriers by 2015.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rrier-to-sail-by-2011/articleshow/4148934.cms

India's indigenous aircraft carrier to sail by 2011: Indian Navy chief

Its2020 almost ,I'm curious when this super carrier will be delivered

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles