Indigenous SSN

Senior_Miguel

Russia does not trust china. They simply provide them with products a notch below what India is offered. China has had some helpwith SSK design from russia but not SSN. The arihant is far superior to any chinese nuke sub thanks in part to consultations with russia. I am surprized no pic of Aarihant has been seen since 5 years of launch.No one has a clue where it is with all the false info that is fed by DRDO, IN and GoI.:rofl:
Oh, they are just not so transparent with their programs as US are. ;-)

Bheeshma

US must be trying hard to find the Arihant..same as chinese.:thumb:

p2prada

What makes you think they would agree to help India design and build a series of its own SSN, which are obviously an offensive weapon aimed and PRC, when they need good relations with China?
They are already involved with Arihant. And they get money anyway.

The original design of Arihant was SSN, it was later changed to SSBN after the nuclear tests. So, we simply go back to the original design for the SSN.

p2prada

Senior_Miguel

Yeah, P-8I and also a new tender for a medium range aircraft.

IN has already ordered 12 and they think they need 24. 9 MRMR are expected and more in the future. But MRMR will only have capability against ships, not submarines.

P-8I and MRMR also have the role of keeping an eye in the air. That makes them a quasi-AEW&C.
So if you arm MRMR with anti-ship missiles, why can't you do it the same with lightweight torpedos? Mk 54 / 46 should be enough to make sure Chinese subs stay away from Indian EEZ (of course in tandem with P-8I and patrol vessels).

p2prada

So if you arm MRMR with anti-ship missiles, why can't you do it the same with lightweight torpedos? Mk 54 / 46 should be enough to make sure Chinese subs stay away from Indian EEZ (of course in tandem with P-8I and patrol vessels).
Maybe it won't carry the right sensors for anti-sub warfare. They say they need larger aircraft for sub hunting, like P-8I.

Senior_Miguel

Maybe it won't carry the right sensors for anti-sub warfare. They say they need larger aircraft for sub hunting, like P-8I.
I suppose they, the IN, know, what are they doing :) BTW, is there any news on heavyweight torpedos deal for Scorpene? Last I've heard, WASS was being blacklisted and there was that offer from Pipavav.

anupamsurey

Country flag
It is true then, India has managed to evade prying eyes and keep its subs a secret (hard to do it in India). but the programme is running too slow, considering the situation in which India is now it needs rapid progress in underwater weaponry.

Senior_Miguel

It is true then, India has managed to evade prying eyes and keep its subs a secret (hard to do it in India). but the programme is running too slow, considering the situation in which India is now it needs rapid progress in underwater weaponry.
But in that case you must forget about indigenization in terms of visible ToT

p2prada

So it will be the matter of ToT German Atlas Elektronik will offer, that will decide on the deal.
Can't say anything. Atlas is already working on improving older torpedoes in the navy. They have a chance, but only through a tender. Varunastra may be purchased regardless because DRDO made it.

Senior_Miguel

Can't say anything. Atlas is already working on improving older torpedoes in the navy. They have a chance, but only through a tender. Varunastra may be purchased regardless because DRDO made it.
There's no point in ordering Varunastra just because it's made by DRDO if you have a better offer from the Germans. Objectivly speaking, Atlas has a better offer, because it's operational (and time is of the essence). I just wonder, how big ToT they will offer.

p2prada

There's no point in ordering Varunastra just because it's made by DRDO if you have a better offer from the Germans. Objectivly speaking, Atlas has a better offer, because it's operational (and time is of the essence). I just wonder, how big ToT they will offer.
They will have to relaunch the tender. Hopefully saner minds prevail and they get the Atlas torpedoes right away, in a govt to govt transaction instead of another tender. It is not likely any other manufacturer will bid for it.

Presently, the tender is under review. So let's see what happens.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Afaik, Varunastra is a long range Ship launched Torpedo, Its not for Submarine use ..

Atlas is purely for submarines, But its software and battery even warhead will be Indian ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Senior_Miguel

Afaik, Varunastra is a long range Ship launched Torpedo, Its not for Submarine use ..

Atlas is purely for submarines, But its software and battery even warhead will be Indian ..[/QUOTE

Wow, that's a big indiginization for Atlas/Pipavav

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles