India’s UNSC alliance with Japan biggest mistake: Chinese media

amoy

You claim to be thinking like a Japanese but you are not.
Japan is seen as a strong ally of the US which doesn't go down well with the African Union.
Whereas India and Brazil has strong ties with many african nations.
So G4 is purely give and take kind of alliance based on self-interests.
Germany/Japan helps India/Brazil for global recognition while India/Brazil can help Japan/Germany to garner more support from members nations. That is how G4 works.
These folks don't just stick together without a strong reason.
How does Japan being an US ally taint its image in front of Africans? Everyone wishes to be seen as siding with the strong. Everyone is very much living in the US led intrnational order and unable to overturn it. African countries are no exception though some of them may pose otherwise occasionally.

Japanese throughout the years have done many good deeds, aids, development funds, investment.... for the 3rd world, and has no historical baggage with Africa and beyond unlike the West or India (e.g. colonial past and Indian immigrants). Myanmar your nextdoor for instance has got a waiver of debts in billions to Japan! Other than cheap talks what has India done substantially to showcase as a candidate how it would benefit and stand for the voiceless developing world like it commits to??

Here is what a responsible power is doing ~
Xi’s speech contained three major announcements: a donation of $1 billion dollars over the next 10 years to create a peace and development fund with the United Nations; the establishment of a new standby peacekeeping force of 8,000 troops; and a pledge to provide military assistance worth $100 million to the African Union for peacekeeping missions over the next five years.

Those commitments came after Xi had already pledged $2 billion for an investment fund that will help the world’s least developed countries meet UN development goals, with far more to come: the goal is to invest $12 billion in the world’s poorest countries by 2030. Xi made that pledge on Saturday at the UN Sustainable Development Summit. Xi also said China would offer debt relief for the world’s “least developed countries, landlocked developing countries, and small island developing countries,” without naming any specific countries or the amount of debt to be absolved.
No one is interested in getting G4 to disband. However , a snowwhite has no future with a few dwarfs.

~~Still waters run deep. ~~from my MiPad using tapatalk

I_PLAY_BAD

How does Japan being an US ally taint its image in front of Africans? Everyone wishes to be seen as siding with the strong. Everyone is very much living in the US led intrnational order and unable to overturn it. African countries are no exception though some of them may pose otherwise occasionally.

Japanese throughout the years have done many good deeds, aids, development funds, investment.... for the 3rd world, and has no historical baggage with Africa and beyond unlike the West or India (e.g. colonial past and Indian immigrants). Myanmar your nextdoor for instance has got a waiver of debts in billions to Japan! Other than cheap talks what has India done substantially to showcase as a candidate how it would benefit and stand for the voiceless developing world like it commits to??
Well USA and its allies does not have a great reception in Africa.

What, India hasn't done any good deeds ?
Do you read news articles coming from other sources apart from the Chinese domain ?

Haven't you read about India's aids and investments in Afghanistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Myanmar and Bangladesh and many more including african countries ?

Cheap talks aren't our habit. We do what we can.

DingDong

Country flag

Here is what a responsible power is doing ~

No one is interested in getting G4 to disband. However , a snowwhite has no future with a few dwarfs.

Japan is not merely an US ally, it is the Asian version of the UK, only worse. To put it bluntly, a US lapdog. Common perception is that Japan doesn't really have an independent and consistent foreign policy which makes it an unreliable partner in eyes of other governments and reduces it's global influence considerably.

I have interacted with Japanese people, they carry heavy cultural baggage. This is where western politicians and businesses shine, they adapt according to the environment and the audience make themselves acceptable in the eyes of their hosts, while Japanese never stop harping about "Japanese Technology" and "Japanese Culture".

Japan may keep distributing Grants and keep waiving debts, but geopolitics not merely about money. This is not how the game is played. Perception and willingness to influence plays a vital role.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Chinese should take a hike and shove all their objections behind their sorry ass.

One reason or the other they would have opposed India. Chinese leader just announced more troops for UN peace keeping tells what is making them jittery and what they are trying to negate here.

China is irrelevant when its come to UN reforms on expansion as they are just one vote. At the end all they can do is not rectify the law. At that stage they will have no excuse whatsoever if India is a friend of Japan or not because they will be making fool of themselves in front of rest of the world.

amoy

Japan is not merely an US ally, it is the Asian version of the UK, only worse. To put it bluntly, a US lapdog. Common perception is that Japan doesn't really have an independent and consistent foreign policy which makes it an unreliable partner in eyes of other governments and reduces it's global influence considerably.

I have interacted with Japanese people, they carry heavy cultural baggage. This is where western politicians and businesses shine, they adapt according to the environment and the audience make themselves acceptable in the eyes of their hosts, while Japanese never stop harping about "Japanese Technology" and "Japanese Culture".

Japan may keep distributing Grants and keep waiving debts, but geopolitics not merely about money. This is not how the game is played. Perception and willingness to influence plays a vital role.
Oh lapdog, and an "unreliable partner"?! Could u please clear your thought a bit, or r u admitting teaming up wth Japan /G4 is a mistake? If it serves one's aims well, go ahead making oneself an willing ally of US! No one shall be cocooned into any "ideology" or "legacy" just what's motivated by self interest, as history has proven time and again.

"Cultural baggage"? Or u might just got their implications wrong. Talking softly Samurai comes forward with a big stick and carrot. Being a regular opponent to Japanese candidacy doesn't stop me from apreciating their cut-edge technology and kulture. Every nation shall be proud of their strength and do a good self promotion thereof, so that the whole world also recognizes that. In contrast what is India known for ? An origin of many IT engineers or CEOs which India is unable to provide good platforms for to make indigenous innovations?

Now let me showcase what "grants" and "debt waivers" can do. Back to Africa on "geopolitics", Djbouti for one has made her naval bases available for Japan, US and France certainly for $$$. And Egypt keeps on taking big $$$ from US. Many more such examples in the cash-strapped 3rd world. That's what buys influence!! That in turn will translate to votes in UN general assembly

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Today Modi has categorically mentioned in (final draft) statement during bilateral meet with USA in the presence of President B. Obama that India Japan and USA are participating for Pacific and IOR security.

I find it surprising that no India watcher (do not care Indian media) has picked it up. The meet was bilateral but got mention of Japan as partner.

I would request Indians to stop being sorry about Japan and putting doubt on this relationship. I would even request Indians not to put all their weight/hype behind permanent seat in security council. Many weeks back there was clear signalling by Modi that we are not going to beg this seat from anyone. I can clearly see what Modi is doing, my pick of the day is G4. I can see USA supporting G4 move lead by Modi.

no smoking

Country flag
There are very meagre chances for India to become less powerful. Either it will stay in the present level or grow more powerful. So your wet dreams are off.
If you look at the history, you will find plenty of countries falling in the middle of their way to the top. The most recent one was Japan which even reached 50% of USA power at her peak. More interestingly, after they fell down, all of them failed to keep their power level but sliding back. So, I won't be so sure about India.

Empty wallets, poor people etc all those you said are a story of 1980s and 1990s.
With Indian market attracting shipments from almost all over the globe I would say chinese goods has lost the sheen.
Indians are buying a good quality product for 1000 rupees rather than buying a cheap quality Chinese product for 700 rupees. That is the actual situation for more than 10 years now and it is going to get worse for Chinese goods in India as GoI is tightening the noose on quality levels. The actual reason is to encourage local manufacturers. So as you said for economic reasons Indians will buy lesser Chinese goods as it is always the fact.
Are you sure?
Looks like your own government doesn't agree with you.

http://thediplomat.com/2015/06/india-china-deficit-beyond-iron-ore/

Quote:"However, there has not been a concomitant drop in China’s exports to India; in fact, it is quite the opposite, with provisional numbers showing a sharp recovery in China’s exports to India."

If we look at the yearly basis how Indians buy lesser Chinese goods:

2010-11 +39.76%
2011-12 +22.48%
2012-13 -1.82%
2013-14 +4.66%
2014-15 +18.34%

Wow, I guess you have no idea what your countrymen are buying now.

Whether you team up with Pakistan for any membership or not, we just do not care. India and Japan will together pitch for permanent seats. That is the current situation. I don't think India will part ways with Japan just because the Chinese cry. No, it won't work that way.
It is all right. We make it clear we will kill any bill offering Japanese a permanent seat. If you can beat us, good for you. If not, no hard feelings.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles