• Test a TN warhead and give them the bird

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Dont test and continue with diplomatic begging

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Dont test and use diplomatic clout in issues like Iran to defy the P5

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters

trackwhack

Olivers, thank you. I've been saying the same bloody thing for ages. That we do not need any more uranium. the world knows that but uses it as an excuse to deny us technology that will drive our economy.

However I disagree that we are dependent on ENR. Fuel separation from burnt fuel in breeders is still 10 years away and that is adequate time to figure it out ourselves. Also read about THOREX if you have not already done so. :)

Either way, excellent, well informed post.

olivers

Olivers, thank you. I've been saying the same bloody thing for ages. That we do not need any more uranium. the world knows that but uses it as an excuse to deny us technology that will drive our economy.

However I disagree that we are dependent on ENR. Fuel separation from burnt fuel in breeders is still 10 years away and that is adequate time to figure it out ourselves. Also read about THOREX if you have not already done so. :)

Either way, excellent, well informed post.
Thanks. The dependency is on NSG linked fuel supply to foreign reactors. We really can't stockpile fuel for the entire life of the reactor. It's expensive and not very practical. Denying civil ENR pushes us back not only on fast breeder fuel separation but also on our PHBR spent fuel separation to feed our Fast Breeders. This will mean a lot of time and money will need to be spent on ramping up our own civil ENR. Of course when we do that we won't place them under safeguards. So it's a problem which will reach it's peak when we have the rest of the Fast breeders coming up in 2020.

THOREX is after FBR and into Thermal breeder stage. Right now we need Industrial scale PUREX. It's very expensive for us to go in alone and do upscaling. The deal was supposed to help us upscale this civil part of the program. All our reprocessing right now is 100tU/yr per plant or thereabouts. That's not enough for the scale of our program. It's got to expand from 10 GW PHWR to 40 PHWR. So our capacity for reprocessing in this stage needs to move from x to 4x. The faster we do that the faster our FBR's can move. The reprocessing plants in US and the rest of the world are 800 to 5000tU/yr. This is where we need help to make it cheaper. I would love to have SILEX technology developed in India. If you recall India refused to sign on the same ENR issue with Anil Kakodkar going public in 2008. Then Bush relented and we signed the agreement. It was that crucial. In 2011 as well Anil Kakodkar made these comments on the ENR backstab unless there is a secret agreement. He is on record in Frontline with essentially this message.

So until we get to third stage the vulnerability of India is just like the Saudi Arabia - USA petro chord link. We can't make our own decisions on nuclear weapons tests. The solution to this vulnerability is clear, we will deploy MIRV missiles with nuclear weapons in the next decade with global reach. This decision needs some serious guts and the timing should be right.

This analysis also was made in the light of US-China-India double, triple hedging. US did this in 1970's and moved close to China. It's still fresh in our minds. So it's a great game but a more nuanced once which is being played today. India is like France, it will do what it thinks is right. So the only path is MIRV missiles with thermonuclear warheads and power projection globally.

There are other issues which must fall into place before we do this. We need a good 300mm Fab. We need good idigenous Aircraft manufacturing capability. This is happening with the Kaveri engines. Our space program needs to get to it's act together on the cryogenic engine.

Our missile program is already there. Our BMD for less than 2000km is ready. We are working on BMD for 5000km which is any missile as the maximum re-entry velocity for missiles at 5000km and 15000km is 7 m/s. So it's a global threat we are working on.

Our ASAT system Agni V isn't about China. It's about anyone who tries to deny us satellites. There are only few countries which can do that.It's an under the radar run for weapons and modernization which every single country in the world is watching and ignoring. They can't do anything about it. Our Agni V is also being equipped to launch satellites after denial of our existing satellites. It's preparation for a nuclear war. We are signaling to the rest of the world we are not just token owners of nuclear weapons we will also use them to defend ourselves when the time comes. We could have just laid back and done nothing about it if the ambitions are just local.

There is also the nuclear submarine program which needs to get out of it's teething problem. Our own aircraft carriers. Our own artillery guns.

So really we were better off without the deal. So we are doing the next best thing. Use the deal and it's few benefits until we are ready to test again. Uranium imports. Reactor imports with France and Russia. Uranium from Australia at cheap prices for the next few decades etc. Keep out the American companies for a long time with the liability issue. So it's a decade in a post the earlier one and the present one.

Last edited:

trackwhack

This is the way the math is working for me

We have 4 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium with about 300 kg's being added every year. The 4 tonnes can be used for 2 fuel cycle loads for the PFBR. However we cannot use all 100% of the 4 tonnes as there wont be any for strategic needs then. Hence 1.9 tonnes has already been taken out and loaded in the PFBR.

The PFBR design is 100GWd/t. If we use 1.9 tonnes of plutonium, there will be 4 times that as uranium to be bred. Thats 7.6 tonnes. For 500 MW at 100GWd/t each tonne of fuel burns for 200 days. So 7.6 tonnes burns for 1520 days or just over 4 years. During those 4 years we would have added 300 tonnes per year = 1.2 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium. When the new reprocessing facilities come online in two years they will produce another 300 tonnes of RGP per year so thats an additional 600 kg bringing the total to 1.8 tonnes, just barely enough for the next cycle.

You must remember that during this time the second FBR would have started construction. Accordingly we have to add reprocessing capacity. So if correctly scaled I think we may be able to stay just ahead of requirements for the next 10 years, all this while maintaining 2 tonnes of reactor grade fuel as strategic reserves. Those 10 years is the window we have to close the technology gap. Because its after this 10 year period that we push for scale. We have to have our tech ready by then.

My concern with this whole NSG drama has less to do with them not sharing tech and more to do with us not making a stand. We must expose the NSG's hypocrisy by testing and following up the tests with a press statement that says our weapons program is primarily fusion based and hence we have enough weapons grade fission material to trigger an adequate fusion arsenal. Hence the fuel we seek for our reactors are absolutely unnecessary for our strategic needs. Thats the message we must convey to the NSG.

please note that I have not factored in the upto 10 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium that could have come from our unsafeguarded reactors. All the numbers I have used above is from numbers estimated on safeguarded sites. If we do have an additional 10 tonnes of RGP from unsafeguarded reactors, it buys us much more time.

Last edited:

olivers

This is the way the math is working for me

We have 4 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium with about 300 kg's being added every year. The 4 tonnes can be used for 2 fuel cycle loads for the PFBR. However we cannot use all 100% of the 4 tonnes as there wont be any for strategic needs then. Hence 1.9 tonnes has already been taken out and loaded in the PFBR.

The PFBR design is 100GWd/t. If we use 1.9 tonnes of plutonium, there will be 4 times that as uranium to be bred. Thats 7.6 tonnes. For 500 MW at 100GWd/t each tonne of fuel burns for 200 days. So 7.6 tonnes burns for 1520 days or just over 4 years. During those 4 years we would have added 300 tonnes per year = 1.2 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium. When the new reprocessing facilities come online in two years they will produce another 300 tonnes of RGP per year so thats an additional 600 kg bringing the total to 1.8 tonnes, just barely enough for the next cycle.

You must remember that during this time the second FBR would have started construction. Accordingly we have to add reprocessing capacity. So if correctly scaled I think we may be able to stay just ahead of requirements for the next 10 years, all this while maintaining 2 tonnes of reactor grade fuel as strategic reserves. Those 10 years is the window we have to close the technology gap. Because its after this 10 year period that we push for scale. We have to have our tech ready by then.

My concern with this whole NSG drama has less to do with them not sharing tech and more to do with us not making a stand. We must expose the NSG's hypocrisy by testing and following up the tests with a press statement that says our weapons program is primarily fusion based and hence we have enough weapons grade fission material to trigger an adequate fusion arsenal. Hence the fuel we seek for our reactors are absolutely unnecessary for our strategic needs. Thats the message we must convey to the NSG.

please note that I have not factored in the upto 10 tonnes of reactor grade plutonium that could have come from our unsafeguarded reactors. All the numbers I have used above is from numbers estimated on safeguarded sites. If we do have an additional 10 tonnes of RGP from unsafeguarded reactors, it buys us much more time.
None of the safeguarded fuel is for strategic use. It's only for FBR which is under safeguards which will be the fourth or fifth reactor. We are not doing that as well. The FBR will breed as much plutonium as it consumes once it's loaded. So only the initial loading counts. U-233 is also obtained by having thorium rods. So the first stage breeding is already a done deal. We have strategic reserves plus more for the FBR reactors.

The first FBR should give us enough plutonium to load another FBR in 10 years. So the question isn't about 10GW of PHWR capacity which is already done. 50GW of FBR which is planned. We have enough uranium to feed the PHWR. Our mines in AP just came up. It's enough to meet 25% of our total uranium requirement. More than enough to cover PHWR but not enough for all the imported reactors. So there lies the uranium import angle.

On keeping up with reprocessing. We need enough feed to bootstrap into the process and faster we can do that the faster we move to the third stage. This is the key to ENR. NSG was always going to cap you. Do you think they will let a strong country emerge one which will have an attribute even US does not have? Energy independence + good demographics + good growth + Geo-stratergic placement?

Our 3 stage process needs no Uranium imports. However our phoren reactors including the earlier Russian ones and Tarapur do. We will also import fuel for the safeguarded PHWR reactor as we can build more PHWR with our own uranium and move faster through stage II with more plutonium to create more fast breeder which will give us more plutonium and u-233 to create more third stage and second stage rectors.

1PHWR---> 1FBR---> (1FBR + 1ThermalBreeder ) every 10 years.
1Thermal Breeder ---> another thermal breeder in 50 years. So we need 50GW of FBR to give us lots of u-233 as the thermal breeder is a slow animal. We need to get it from FBR. It's fibonacci math.

FBR ---> Double plutonium in 10 years + u233. No need for second plutonium loading in the same reactor. Feed a new baby only when it's young after that he can eat normal food in 10 years.

We will never be short of plutonium once the fast breeders are alive !!!! 1+1+2+3+5+8 etc ... Magic of Homi Bhaba. None of us pay attention to our text books.

We are planning 6 FBR's in 15 years.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
We need 40% enriched uranium for our nuclear subs and for TNW. We need imported uranium and there is no doubt about that. Imported fuel frees up our enrichment facilities.

Plus I would rater use someone else's resources which are strategic in nature and keep mine for future use when others get exhausted. Something that te US does with it's oil reserves.

trackwhack

We need 40% enriched uranium for our nuclear subs and for TNW. We need imported uranium and there is no doubt about that. Imported fuel frees up our enrichment facilities.

Plus I would rater use someone else's resources which are strategic in nature and keep mine for future use when others get exhausted. Something that te US does with it's oil reserves.
Yusuf, each sub uses 150 kg of 35% HEU. Thats peanuts even if we had 10 subs. We need fuel but thats not for strategic needs.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, each sub uses 150 kg of 35% HEU. Thats peanuts even if we had 10 subs. We need fuel but thats not for strategic needs.
We need fuel for our civilian plants so that the entire local fuel and enrichment facilities can be used for military purpose. 150kgs of enriched uranium is not peanuts. We are struggling to keep pace with our requirement and that is why we are looking to add capacity at RMP.

trackwhack

None of the safeguarded fuel is for strategic use. It's only for FBR which is under safeguards which will be the fourth or fifth reactor. We are not doing that as well. The FBR will breed as much plutonium as it consumes once it's loaded. So only the initial loading counts. U-233 is also obtained by having thorium rods. So the first stage breeding is already a done deal. We have strategic reserves plus more for the FBR reactors.

The first FBR should give us enough plutonium to load another FBR in 10 years. So the question isn't about 10GW of PHWR capacity which is already done. 50GW of FBR which is planned. We have enough uranium to feed the PHWR. Our mines in AP just came up. It's enough to meet 25% of our total uranium requirement. More than enough to cover PHWR but not enough for all the imported reactors. So there lies the uranium import angle.

On keeping up with reprocessing. We need enough feed to bootstrap into the process and faster we can do that the faster we move to the third stage. This is the key to ENR. NSG was always going to cap you. Do you think they will let a strong country emerge one which will have an attribute even US does not have? Energy independence + good demographics + good growth + Geo-stratergic placement?

Our 3 stage process needs no Uranium imports. However our phoren reactors including the earlier Russian ones and Tarapur do. We will also import fuel for the safeguarded PHWR reactor as we can build more PHWR with our own uranium and move faster through stage II with more plutonium to create more fast breeder which will give us more plutonium and u-233 to create more third stage and second stage rectors.

1PHWR---> 1FBR---> (1FBR + 1ThermalBreeder ) every 10 years.
1Thermal Breeder ---> another thermal breeder in 50 years. So we need 50GW of FBR to give us lots of u-233 as the thermal breeder is a slow animal. We need to get it from FBR. It's fibonacci math.

FBR ---> Double plutonium in 10 years + u233. No need for second plutonium loading in the same reactor. Feed a new baby only when it's young after that he can eat normal food in 10 years.

We will never be short of plutonium once the fast breeders are alive !!!! 1+1+2+3+5+8 etc ... Magic of Homi Bhaba. None of us pay attention to our text books.

We are planning 6 FBR's in 15 years.

exciting times. hope we achieve these targets.

olivers

The nuclear deal was a huge failure. I am sure you hold a different view and I will not try and change that. It was forced onto DAE with false promises on ENR which for Anil Kakodkar is a major issue. He has expressed this as late as July 2011. I will however not try to influence other positions. It simply won't work and it will be considered an issue supporting a party. Foreign policy is usually based on consensus except this huge change. Drafts were secret, and so on. The final text was never brought before the parliament for discussions as promised. So to me it's been a colossal disaster which is hidden from public view. I respect your right to have a different view.

You are mixing up a couple of different issues:
a) Uranium to fuel the 3 stage program. This requires sufficient Uranium for Stage 1 and Stage 2;
b) Uranium to fuel our strategic program; and
c) Uranium to fuel safeguarded indian reactors;
d) Uranium to fuel imported safeguarded reactors.

We have enough fuel to supply a, b and c. This is the current situation. The Andhra Pradesh mines ensure this situation. Before the AP mines came online we had enough for a and b and partially enough for c. Having got this out of the way let's get to the other mixup.

Our strategic program is not separate from our civil program. It's the same for every one of the p5 states. This is something we lost in the deal. We can't move a reactor back to the strategic program once it's declared civil. This applies for all the fissile material from such reactors forever. Given that we have some reactors under safeguards even before 2008 it made no sense for us to load the reactor with our Uranium and end up losing the end products to permanent safeguards.

We have known about the AP uranium since 2001. We didn't utter a word about it until now. So all the reports of Uranium shortage were a ruse to divert the attention elsewhere. We were interested in some other aspects of the deal not really the Uranium supply for our three stage program. My earlier post makes it clear what we were looking for.

So to recap: We had enough uranium before the AP mines came online for our 3 stage program and strategic program. We have enough for all the PHWR's and second stage FBR's. We however will be stupid to use our own fuel in PHWR's which are under safeguards if we can import fuel from outside of India. All such material is forever under safeguards.

So we need imports for phoren safeguarded reactors and fuel for the indigenous reactors under safeguards. We don't need fuel for the entire 3 stage program if we are ever put under sanctions, including some PHWR's which are under safeguards to move us to the second and then third stage.

As far as enrichment struggle goes it's a struggle for the civil program not the military program. The Ratanhalli expansion is to fuel 9 more submarines. 3 ssn's and 6 ssbn's. We have enrichment and reprocessing plants associated with each PHWR complex for the 3 stage expansion. Our total capacity is close 600 tU/y. Most of this is for the civilian program. The military program does not require such capacity on it's own.

Also what you are missing from the equation is we re-process and enrich the plutonium and the stockpile is strategic. We can use it for bombs or for FBR. It's not assembled into bombs. If we face a threat of the magnitude requiring 2000 weapons. It's an existential threat and we really won't be looking at the 3 stage program in that case. We will look to fight and survive and none of the agreements today will be a constraint on us. If we just want a 1000 we won't be breaking any agreements. It's all relative.

The nuclear deal was supposed to accelerate the FBR's with imported fuel in the first stage. The military program isn't really why the civil deal was done. It's a misconception in the west and in India. In fact the civil deal will curtail our options at best. PHWR's moving out to civil limits our cheap access to military reactors which are existing investments. I will stop here. It's not possible to change perspectives. I have however given enough details for a rational mind to understand why I have taken this position and stand by it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Two points.

1) AP mines are recent.
2) we can do nothing with the ore only.
3) we need to enrich it for user
4) nuke deal enabled us to import ready made fuel which frees up our own capacity.

We may discover the worlds largest reserves of Uranium but to process it takes time and that we don't have. We are expanding our facilities to enrich and it's enough to fuel our nuke subs and weapons program. Main concern is nuclear subs.

We are also looking to make a strategic reserve of nuclear fuel. Idea is, get as much as you can get from abroad and leave ours for the future and completely dedicated to weapons program.

olivers

Two points.

1) AP mines are recent.
2) we can do nothing with the ore only.
3) we need to enrich it for user
4) nuke deal enabled us to import ready made fuel which frees up our own capacity.

We may discover the worlds largest reserves of Uranium but to process it takes time and that we don't have. We are expanding our facilities to enrich and it's enough to fuel our nuke subs and weapons program. Main concern is nuclear subs.

We are also looking to make a strategic reserve of nuclear fuel. Idea is, get as much as you can get from abroad and leave ours for the future and completely dedicated to weapons program.
If you notice carefully, even before the AP mines were online we had enough for A, B and C.

Again there is an assumption here that Uranium enrichment is our path to weapons. Maybe you are right, however I don't subscribe to that view.
Even after enrichment for plutonium weapons we need to load it into a reactor and operate it at a different power factor. So our military program will not be slower or faster because of the nuclear deal on that count alone of importing enriched uranium. The imported enriched uranium is useless and retards our weapons capacity. As it's preventing us in the short run from loading PHWR with local enriched uranium whose byproducts are plutonium which is usable for nuclear weapons or for loading the FBR. Some PHWR's moved into the civil program so our weapons capacity is reduced not enhanced by the deal. We anyways didn't want to load our nuclear material into safeguarded reactors even before 2008 if we could avoid it.

Every P5 used nulcear power reactors as a military tool and electricity was a byproduct. Reactor construction stopped in all large countries where other power resources could be exploited. It's cheaper.

As far as leaving the uranium in the ground for later for the strategic program. Our power program is our strategic program too as our nuclear weapons are by-products and not the end product of enrichment. So I don't agree with you on this as well. Discovery of the largest uranium mines in India will remove even the last shred of reasoning for the deal. Fuel for our phoren reactors. ENR capacity will be build in such a case on a massive scale. We will be stupid not to. Right now it does not make sense for us to have a huge investment in ENR when we need to spend money on FBR for breeding and Thermal breeders. A civil only ENR using our technology is extremely expensive. This is the problem. We need cheaper imported stuff in industrial scale for civil ENR.

The nuclear submarines have other issues not related to enriched fuel. I am not going to disclose the non submarine related issue submarine problem here. There is no public knowledge on this count. The reactor works, the submarine works, the missiles work. The submarine can go all over the world submerged. So before you start charging, there is something else which needs to be done which is essential. So the subs not rolling out as fast has a different reason. Not just some rathanhalli plant struggling. The plant is the least of our concerns.

We will use the nuclear deal for the stockpiling and all the nonsense and all the other stuff. I have already sated that. After a colossal blunder you use it to the best you can. That's not an argument to make the colossal blunder.The rational discussion on my end can't be taken further from here.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@olivier,

For me, the nuclear deal is more about furthering Indian nuclear weapons program. The Chinis and Pakis understood it and opposed it. India was never going to sacrifice any of it's nuclear program. We extract as much as we can and back off if it gets uncomfortable. The west also knows this and that's why drags its feet on ENR. We are biding our time. The usual cautious wait and watch approach.

sukhish

ENR is part of the nuclear deal, as long as it is under safeguards. no country supply ENR to any other country without safegurads, it is part of NSG restrictions. recently NSG added another element ( membership of NPT ) as part of ENR transfer. But India already has ENR transfer as part of its NSG waiver.

olivers

ENR is part of the nuclear deal, as long as it is under safeguards. no country supply ENR to any other country without safegurads, it is part of NSG restrictions. recently NSG added another element ( membership of NPT ) as part of ENR transfer. But India already has ENR transfer as part of its NSG waiver.
All water under the bridge. We don't have ENR any more.
India still hopeful of ENR transfer from US - Times Of India
Deny ENR tech, lose out on Indian N-reactor market: Rao - Times Of India
Keep your word, we will keep ours, India tells NSG - Times Of India

If you print out the articles and place them side by side. You read between the lines the failure on ENR is clear. It's unequivocal. It will get to your radar when we have a debate in parliament on civil nuclear liability or the nuclear deal. It's operation cover up right now.

Also read the hindu editorial on this ENR issue in June. It's the final word even after the disclosures in the times of India article of 2011-08-11. The French statements in 2010 and 2012 also changed. Take it for what you will.

I will just guide you on my reading between the lines. The first times of India article states. India will get ENR from US, France and Russia. The second says we will get ENR from France and Russia as US does not provide ENR to anyone. (A blatant lie Japan got such technology in 1990 from US.) The third article says we hope France and Russia will abide by it's commitments. India has it's own ENR. There are choice phrases from the agreements in the third article which are just that. Legally they don't mean ENR technology. France and Russia have also have other national legislations after 2010 which deal with the ENR issue. So It's a done deal no ENR to us for now.

I am not privy to secret deals between India, Russia and France. So my reasoning skills don't go there. I can only tell you from the three reports there was a diplomatic effort. India though we are grandfathered when the first report came out. Then the rude shock, Nirupama rao said no reactors without ENR and finally the final burial with hope and Indian ENR.

I am sure others will bring in some articles on French atomic energy chief and all the others.Those are nuanced changed positions. Read what Anil Kakodkar says in frontline and hindu. He is direct. If the same government is in power they will tom tom it? It's a matter of pride. It's a matter of burial. It will only come up when it's impossible to hide anymore. The operational fact remains as evident from the change in tone of the articles and expressions of hope and expressions of self reliance there will be no ENR transfer.

Bottom line: The deal flopped. We did not get ENR. Now cover up.

sukhish

you are just trying to post the article , they have all posted the wrong picture. go to the link below and see for yourself. India has access to ENR

http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Infcircs/2008/infcirc734c.pdf.

that is the reason india did make so much of noise. at the time when india signed NSG agreement, these restrictions were not there. the NPT restriction is a general restrition. but all the india related trade for nuclear technology access will be made as per the India NSG accord of 2008. FM krishna has also clarified this stand.
french foriegn minister on record said that as far as ENR is concerned India's 2008 agreement with NPT is still in vigour.

sukhish

All water under the bridge. We don't have ENR any more.
India still hopeful of ENR transfer from US - Times Of India
Deny ENR tech, lose out on Indian N-reactor market: Rao - Times Of India
Keep your word, we will keep ours, India tells NSG - Times Of India

If you print out the articles and place them side by side. You read between the lines the failure on ENR is clear. It's unequivocal. It will get to your radar when we have a debate in parliament on civil nuclear liability or the nuclear deal. It's operation cover up right now.

Also read the hindu editorial on this ENR issue in June. It's the final word even after the disclosures in the times of India article of 2011-08-11. The French statements in 2010 and 2012 also changed. Take it for what you will.

I will just guide you on my reading between the lines. The first times of India article states. India will get ENR from US, France and Russia. The second says we will get ENR from France and Russia as US does not provide ENR to anyone. (A blatant lie Japan got such technology in 1990 from US.) The third article says we hope France and Russia will abide by it's commitments. India has it's own ENR. There are choice phrases from the agreements in the third article which are just that. Legally they don't mean ENR technology. France and Russia have also have other national legislations after 2010 which deal with the ENR issue. So It's a done deal no ENR to us for now.

I am not privy to secret deals between India, Russia and France. So my reasoning skills don't go there. I can only tell you from the three reports there was a diplomatic effort. India though we are grandfathered when the first report came out. Then the rude shock, Nirupama rao said no reactors without ENR and finally the final burial with hope and Indian ENR.

I am sure others will bring in some articles on French atomic energy chief and all the others.Those are nuanced changed positions. Read what Anil Kakodkar says in frontline and hindu. He is direct. If the same government is in power they will tom tom it? It's a matter of pride. It's a matter of burial. It will only come up when it's impossible to hide anymore. The operational fact remains as evident from the change in tone of the articles and expressions of hope and expressions of self reliance there will be no ENR transfer.

Bottom line: The deal flopped. We did not get ENR. Now cover up.
there is no cover up. 2008 agreement of India and NSG has the ENR provision. in 2011 they introduced the NPT angle in those provisions. but that is a general provision. what india can or cannot do will be as per india NSG 2008 accord period. before the india NSG accord of 2008 there was restrictions of
nuclear trade on NON NPT members, but for inida one exeption was made. it does not mean the old restriction is nullfied, it is still applicable to NON NPT states, but not to india. in the same way the latest NPT restriction in the ENR is applicable for all NON NPT states, but for India. because india already secured the waiver for nuceal fuel and ENR technoligies in it's 2008 accord with NSG.

olivers

there is no cover up. 2008 agreement of India and NSG has the ENR provision. in 2011 they introduced the NPT angle in those provisions. but that is a general provision. what india can or cannot do will be as per india NSG 2008 accord period. before the india NSG accord of 2008 there was restrictions of
nuclear trade on NON NPT members, but for inida one exeption was made. it does not mean the old restriction is nullfied, it is still applicable to NON NPT states, but not to india. in the same way the latest NPT restriction in the ENR is applicable for all NON NPT states, but for India. because india already secured the waiver for nuceal fuel and ENR technoligies in it's 2008 accord with NSG.
I have shown the cover up article by article. If you still chose to believe it then go on spread the lies. Read the Hindu article and Frontline article. Anil Kakodkar is on record in these two. He said, the French have not come out unequivocally. They say they will abide by the agreement. The agreement has nothing about setting up ENR plants in India. There is a phrase about nuclear fuel cycle. It does not guarantee ENR. Anil Kakodkar also said he negotiated the French and Russian Agreements and it does not talk about ENR. Unless there is something secret there is no ENR. These are his words and interpretation not mine.

BTW the exception at NSG exception was not for ENR by the way. Legally it was only for the waiver was only with regard to Articles 4 (a, b and c) that relate to full-scope safeguards. not for ENR. So no waiver legally. Conned. Colossal failure.

Read this. The architect of the Nuclear deal calling it betrayal. Read the other hindu articles directly quoting him. Sometimes reading between the lines is an art. Read the three published articles with changes in tone and content going from it's not a problem, no reactors if no ENR to we hope mean something re-read them.

On slippery ground

Last edited:

olivers

On slippery ground

R. RAMACHANDRAN

The NSG's decision to strengthen its guidelines on the transfer of sensitive enrichment and reprocessing technologies will hurt India.

V.V. KRISHNAN

The nuclear Power reactor fuel reprocessing plant and advanced fuel fabrication facility at Tarapur. What India needs are plants with capacities of several hundred tonnes.

ON June 24, the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG), an informal arrangement among 46 countries to control trade and transfer of nuclear technologies, announced after its 2011 plenary meeting at Noordwijk, the Netherlands, that the members had "agreed [by consensus] to strengthen its guidelines on the transfer of sensitive enrichment and reprocessing technologies", something which had eluded the conclave for over seven years.

Significantly, one of these new "objective criteria" for restrictions on transfers of (nuclear material) enrichment and reprocessing (ENR) technologies, which are additional to the controls that already exist in NSG's Guidelines for Nuclear Transfers (Articles 6 and 7 of INFCIRC/254/Rev. 9/Part I), requires that the recipient country be party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and should have put in place Comprehensive Safeguards of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), also referred to as "full-scope safeguards", covering all its nuclear installations. Since India is not an NPT signatory and it does not have full-scope safeguards, this has raised the hackles of the Indian nuclear establishment, the Foreign Office bureaucracy and some Indian commentators. For they see it as a reversal, or a "roll-back", of the waiver given by the NSG in September 2008 for countries to engage in nuclear commerce with India and as being against the letter and spirit of the India-United States nuclear deal, or the 123 Agreement, concluded on August 3, 2007.

Anil Kakodkar, former Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and one of the key negotiators of the civil nuclear cooperation agreements, in particular the 123 Agreement, wrote thus after the NSG announced its new guidelines on ENR transfers ( The Hindu, July 3): "It negates the positive and forward-looking orientation with respect to ENR issues that was built into bilateral and multilateral agreements developed as part of international civil nuclear cooperation. The NSG waiver for India now seems to have been circumscribed.... The United States, Russia and France have issued statements reiterating their adherence to understandings with India. One would only hope that this does not amount to doublespeak and the NSG waiver in respect of the NPT condition that was granted to India earlier remains undiluted in respect of ENR transfers as well. The statements of these countries are far from being explicit in this respect."

What is, however, obvious, which Kakodkar too has noted elsewhere, is that the NSG decision will target India alone as it is the only country among the three non-NPT countries that have been granted a waiver for nuclear commerce with NSG countries.

Unless there were behind-the-scenes understandings that Kakodkar is referring to, what appears in cold print in the form of the Manmohan Singh-George W. Bush Joint Statement of July 18, 2005, is that the bilateral agreements with the U.S., France and Russia and the NSG waiver do not say anything about transfer of ENR technologies, except for the 123 Agreement (Article 5(2)) which provides for the possibility of transfer of such sensitive technologies (including heavy water technology), but only following an amendment to the Agreement.

In fact, one could say that Indian officials have been deluding themselves right from the beginning of the India-U.S. nuclear dialogue that ENR technologies are part of the deal, and this misconception has persisted all along through the NSG waiver and to date. One constantly comes across the phrase "clean NSG waiver", a phrase invented by Indian commentators and used in all their statements, where what is being meant by "clean" is unclear as the waiver is neither clean nor unconditional.

The July 2005 Joint Statement talks of "full civil nuclear cooperation" without defining what full refers to ( Frontline, June 29, 2007). But, as per Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's statement to Parliament on August 17, 2006, the Indian perception of "full cooperation" meant technologies relating to " all aspects of the complete nuclear fuel cycle".

However, the U.S., it must be pointed out, has never given such an interpretation to it. Indeed, both the preamble and the text of the 123 Agreement (Article 2(2d)) refer to only "full civil nuclear energy cooperation covering"¦ aspects of the associated nuclear fuel cycle" with the word all significantly excluded, which was a clear indication that ENR technologies are unlikely to be part of the deal (emphasis added throughout). And this should have also been clear from the statements made by U.S. officials at various points of time leading up to the agreement, including the provision in the Hyde Act, the specific legislation passed by the U.S. Congress to enable the 123 Agreement with India.

During the November 2, 2005, hearings of the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, in reply to a question by the Chairman, Richard Lugar, the then Under Secretary of State, Robert Joseph, said: "We do not export enrichment or reprocessing technology to any state. Therefore, 'full civil nuclear cooperation' with India will not include enrichment or reprocessing technology. We have not determined whether such a prohibition would extend to heavy water production" ( Frontline, August 11, 2006).

Later, at the April 5, 2006, hearings, Condoleezza Rice, the then U.S. Secretary of State, clarified: "Our draft [123] agreement for peaceful nuclear cooperation provides that SNTs [Sensitive Nuclear Technologies, which include, besides ENR, heavy water production technology] may not be transferred without an amendment to the agreement, which would be subject to congressional review.... There has been no discussion of possible transfers of enrichment and reprocessing technology to India or any Indian request for such technology".

SHANKER CHAKRAVARTY

PRIME MINISTER MANMOHAN Singh with President Barack Obama in New Delhi on November 8, 2010. The U.S. assured India of its support for India's entry into four multilateral regimes, including the NSG.

Further, Article 103(5) of the Hyde Act of December 2006 stated as a matter of U.S. policy to be pursued: "Given the special sensitivity of equipment and technologies related to the enrichment of uranium, the reprocessing of spent nuclear fuel, and the production of heavy water, work with members of the NSG, individually and collectively, to further restrict the transfers of such equipment and technologies, including to India". Further, Article 104(d)(4) of the Act restricted the transfer of SNTs only to multilateral facilities participating in IAEA-approved programmes. Recently, in the wake of the wide expression of concern in India, Michael Krepon of the Stimson Centre highlighted some more of such statements made by U.S. officials at various times and pointed out that the U.S. position as regards the ENR issue in the India-U.S. deal has all along been consistent ( The Hindu, July 12).

The part of the NSG waiver (Clause 3a) relevant to the discussion here relates to Articles 4 (a, b and c) of Guidelines (Part I) – requiring "full-scope" safeguards. The waiver states: ""¦ Participating Governments may transfer trigger list items and/or related technology to India for peaceful purposes and for use in IAEA-safeguarded facilities, provided that the transfer satisfies all other provisions of INFCIRC/254/Part I, as revised, and provided that transfers of sensitive exports remain subject to paragraphs 6 and 7 of the Guidelines". The current revision of guidelines, which seek to restrict ENR transfers to non-NPT countries, has essentially amended Guidelines 6 and 7. But, significantly, the waiver did not say that Guidelines 6 and 7 would not be amended. Nor did it provide for grandfathering the waiver in case of amendments subsequent to September 2008.

However, the waiver does have a provision (Clause 4) for the NSG Chair to consult with India in case of proposed amendments to the guidelines. Since the amendments relating to the transfer of ENR technologies have been under discussion for some time, it is reasonable to presume that India was well aware of these imminent amendments soon after November 2008 itself when the NSG adopted the so-called "clean text" for the proposed amendments that laid down criteria-based approach to limiting ENR transfers. The final revision is essentially the same as the "clean text", barring minor changes with regard to ENR technology recipients bringing into force Additional Protocol. The amendment now provides for the (weaker) Argentina-Brazil material accounting and control arrangement as well instead of the Additional Protocol.

ENR transfers

The previous NSG guidelines on ENR transfers were simply that "uppliers should exercise restraint in the transfer of sensitive facilities"¦ (Paragraph 6)" and that neither the enrichment facility nor the technology transferred "will be designed or operated for the production of greater than 20% enriched uranium"¦ (Paragraph 7)". The new Guideline 6 expands on the old one and stipulates that "suppliers should not authorise the transfer of enrichment and reprocessing facilities, and equipment and technology"¦ if the recipient does not meet, at least, all of the following [six] criteria", the most significant one among them being "Party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons [NPT] and"¦ full compliance with its obligations under the Treaty".

Likewise, Guideline 7 builds on the earlier one by adding, "Suppliers should"¦ [a]void as far as possible, the transfer of enabling design and manufacturing technology associated with such items; and seek from recipients and appropriate agreement to accept sensitive enrichment equipment, and enabling technologies, or an operable enrichment facility under conditions that do not permit or enable replication of the facilities."

Discussions at the NSG to restrict transfers of ENR technologies began in 2004 following President George Bush's speech of February 11, 2004, wherein he proposed that NSG members should not transfer ENR equipment and technologies to any state that did not already possess the full-scale capability, technology and functioning plants. Following this, the U.S. made a major diplomatic push to have the NSG revise its guidelines along the lines of Bush's proposal of ban on ENR to those who did not already have them. Considering that the U.S. piloted the move to bring about changes in the conditions for ENR transfers, even before the India-U.S. nuclear dialogue began, it should have been obvious to Indian officials that ENR technologies would not be easy to come by. However, the U.S. failed to obtain support for such a ban at the NSG. Most NSG members preferred a flexible non-proliferation criteria-based approach than an outright ban. The criteria-based approach was first put forward by France and later modified by other members. The French proposal significantly included, among other things, the requirement that the recipient be an NPT signatory with a comprehensive safeguards agreement and Additional Protocol in place.

The U.S., however, disagreed on the criteria-based approach with the other members of the NSG and stuck to its line of a ban on those who did not already have them. After months of wrangling between the U.S. and others, the U.S. finally came around in early 2008 to accepting a criteria-based approach. However, the U.S. added a few additional criteria, including the black-box approach, which means that the transfer must take place under conditions that will not enable replication of the technology. This criterion now finds place in the revised guidelines though in a somewhat weaker form because there was severe opposition to the original suggestion, particularly from Canada.

Similarly, there were other dissenters to the other two new criteria proposed by the U.S., particularly the one relating to whether a transfer of ENR technology would trigger other countries in the region to seek ENR capability or might lead to instability in the region. Similarly, there was opposition from the Netherlands and Canada to the criterion initially mooted by France and supported strongly by the U.S. that suppliers should take into account "if the recipient had a credible and coherent rationale for pursuing enrichment and reprocessing capabilities". It may, however, be pointed out here that if the NSG had agreed to the original U.S. proposal of an outright ban on the have-nots, and without any other condition, the NSG waiver would have, in principle, given India access to ENR technologies.

Finally, in the Consultative Group meeting on November 20, 2008, nearly all the dissenters (which included Canada, the Netherlands, Argentina and Brazil) were brought on board and the NSG was able to come up with a draft, which came to be called the "clean text". However, even this "clean text" eluded consensus because inclusion of certain "subjective criteria", including the issue of regional instability, was not acceptable to Turkey. On the other hand, South Africa continued to insist that NPT adherence should be the only criterion for ENR transfers. At the 2010 plenary of the NSG at Christchurch in New Zealand, Turkey came around after modifications to the criteria, but South Africa continued to hold out on the grounds that the criterion of Additional Protocol, being a voluntary arrangement, went beyond the NPT and was not required by the NPT. Though the NSG was close to a consensus since 2008, it could not be secured even at Christchurch.

Given the worrisome developments at the NSG, the then Indian Foreign Secretary, Shivshankar Menon, wrote in February 2009 to the U.S. Under Secretary, William Burns, that the U.S. initiative on an ENR ban at the NSG constituted a "derogation" of the 123 Agreement. According to WikiLeaks ( The Hindu, June 18), Ambassador David Mulford stated in a cable to Washington that Shivshankar Menon's letter made a legal claim that an ENR ban would be inconsistent with Article 5.2 of the 123 Agreement, which provided for the possibility of amendments to the Agreement to permit ENR transfers and that a ban would preclude the possibility of such changes.

Similarly, according to another cable from the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, during the India-U.S. strategic dialogue in November 2009, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao asked the U.S. Under Secretary for Arms Control, Ellen Tauscher, that the U.S. position in favour of a global ban on ENR not be seen as a "roll-back" of the NSG decision and that India could not be seen as "half in and half out (of the NSG)", the latter remark referring to the pending proposal for India's admission to the NSG. While Shivshankar Menon's remark may be valid, but only in a technical sense, Nirupama Rao's remark was clearly off the mark because the NSG waiver did not automatically assure ENR transfers as, to reiterate, the waiver was only with regard to Articles 4 (a, b and c) that relate to full-scope safeguards.

SUBHAV SHUKLA/PTI

SEPTEMBER 6, 2008: External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, flanked by National Security Adviser M.K. Narayanan (left) and Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar, at a press conference in New Delhi when India secured the NSG waiver.

Even as India was lobbying hard with key NSG members after the adoption of the "clean text" and expressing its concerns to U.S. officials that the India-specific waiver of September 2008 must remain unaffected by proposed changes in NSG Guidelines and that India should be eligible for all nuclear transfers including ENR, at L'Aquila, Italy, in 2009, the G-8 declared as part of its statement on non-proliferation that pending consensus at NSG, the G-8 members would all implement the "clean text" nationally in the interim.

This came as a bombshell and as an anticlimax to the ongoing lobbying efforts. This would have given the lie to the Prime Minister's statement in Parliament in 2006 that all technology barriers would now be lifted following the India-U.S. nuclear deal. The government seemed to put on a brave front when Pranab Mukherjee told the Rajya Sabha on July 13, 2009: "We have a clean waiver from the NSG. We have India-specific agreement with the IAEA. We are not concerned with what position G-8 takes." He probably did not realise that all the potential suppliers of ENR technologies are G-8 members.

Though India was relieved by the eluding consensus at the NSG, it was also getting increasingly concerned by the reaffirmation by the G-8 at Deauville in 2010. The G-8 statement said: "While awaiting the completion of this [NSG] work, we agree to continue to apply on a national basis the set of relevant export control criteria indicated in the declaration adopted at the L'Aquila Summit and re-endorsed at Muskoka in 2010 [to abide by the 'clean text']".

Thus, even without the recent consensus at the NSG, the U.S., France and Russia were effectively implementing the revised Guidelines already through national legislation/licence policies since 2009. Besides the fact that it was the U.S. that spearheaded the move at the NSG, it should be remembered that it was France that first proposed a criteria-based approach, which included NPT membership to be the chief criterion. Also, Vladimir Putin passed Resolution No.992 on December 4, 2009, which allowed the export of enrichment plant, reprocessing of irradiated fuel as well as related equipment and technologies only to non-nuclear weapon states that are party to the NPT. The resolution has been subsequently reissued every year.

But Indian officials continue to harbour an illusion that the cooperation agreements with these countries include transfer of ENR technologies. This is apparent from the manner in which they seem to be interpreting the statements made by officials of these countries that the NSG decision does not in any way detract from the NSG waiver given to India and the civil nuclear cooperation agreements with these countries. Consider the U.S. statement made on June 23 on the eve of the imminent NSG announcement. "Nothing," the statement from the U.S. Department of State said, "about the new ENR transfer restrictions agreed to by the NSG members should be construed as detracting from the unique impact and importance of the U.S.-India agreement or our agreement to full civil nuclear cooperation. Efforts in the NSG to strengthen controls on the transfer of ENR are consistent with long-standing policy that pre-dates the Civil Nuclear Agreement and have been reaffirmed on an annual basis by the G-8 for years. This new guideline reflects a consensus among all NSG members. The NSG's NPT references, including those in ENR guidelines, in no way detract from the exception granted to India by NSG members in 2008 and in no way reflect upon India's non-proliferation record."

Given that the 123 Agreement had no reference to the U.S. agreeing to transfer ENR technologies, the above is a perfectly self-consistent statement. Consider the statement of Jerome Bonnafont, the French Ambassador to India. His country is, he said, "committed to the full implementation" of the cooperation agreement on the development of peaceful uses of nuclear energy signed on September 30, 2008. "France confirms that this NSG decision in no way undermines the parameters of our bilateral cooperation" and these parameters did not specify ENR transfers. "The scope of cooperation is defined and decided by the parties, consistent with their national policies and international obligations, including the NPT, as far as France is concerned," he added, which statement is a clear indicator of France's decision to adhere to the NSG's decision.

The Russian statement is also similar. "The decision to strengthen 'sensitive' nuclear export controls"¦ does not affect in any way the September 2008 decision of the group to unfreeze peaceful nuclear cooperation with India." To construe that these statements, which may well have been orchestrated by the NSG members, imply that India will gaining access to ENR technologies would be a fallacy.

It must, however, be added that all of them are resorting to this hyperbole in their statements without stating, as Kakodkar had noted, explicitly whether they would transfer ENR technologies or not. Given the aggressive posture of Nirupama Rao when she said the Indian nuclear market would be open only to those who do not deny ENR technology to India, this hyperbole is likely to continue.

Indeed, at the press conference addressed by U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, after the India-U.S. strategic dialogue got under way on July 19, there was a pointed question by a journalist from Indian Express: "Can you, Madam Secretary, today set the record straight on the NSG intentions?... Can you also clarify whether the U.S. will provide ENR technology to India?" To this she gave an evasive reply by just repeating the statement of June 23 by the Department of State.

The above hyperbolic response, and the fact that there has been no clear-cut statement after the recent strategic dialogue with the U.S. delegation headed by Hillary Clinton, is indeed telling. To continue to pin hopes on ENR transfers from overseas after the NSG's new restrictions on them would be a mistake. The Indian power programme does not need enrichment technology as much as it needs large-scale reprocessing technology, which would undoubtedly be needed as nuclear power undergoes rapid expansion through imports. According to the present Chairman of the AEC, India will need to put up eight to ten times the present reprocessing capacity in the coming years to handle the spent fuel from the increasing number of reactors.

Having made the huge mistake of entering into the India-U.S. nuclear deal, it would be prudent now to focus on scaling up indigenous reprocessing capacity as a priority. The new facility opened early this year at Tarapur is also of only 100-tonne capacity. What we need are plants with capacities of several hundred tonnes. Given that the gestation period of these new plants is six to seven years, there is adequate time for expanding the reprocessing capacity. The flip side, of course, is that these new plants will have to be brought under IAEA safeguards.

NSG membership

The other related issue is the NSG membership that India is seeking. The U.S. has put its weight behind this quest as was evident from the Manmohan Singh-Barack Obama joint statement of November 2010, wherein the U.S. assured India of its support for India's entry into four multilateral regimes – namely, the NSG, the Australia Group, the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR) and the Wassenaar Arrangement. Following the recent NSG decision, the NSG is considering a 'thought paper' on the issue piloted by the U.S.

It is now clear that India, having got a waiver for nuclear commerce with NSG members, does not stand to gain anything more by being an NSG member unless it hopes to gain some foothold and push for amending the NSG amendment on ENR transfers without NPT-related conditions. The Foreign Office and the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) would do well to give serious thought to the pros and cons of accepting NSG membership.

Last edited:

olivers

So anyone who still thinks ENR is intact can continue hoping we still have ENR along with babus. The biggest achievement of the government of the day is dead. It's going to be buried in three articles which I posted to you. So wake up before you get conned into another scam. To me there is no ENR as of now. If and when it does happen you will have it on the front page. All those who believe there is no cover up will keep hoping and waiting. Let's stop being naive.

Oh btw believe Anil Kakodkar when he says we have Thermonuclear bomb(s) in plural but don't believe him when he says we don't have ENR. He must be out to get us! I will post the other Hindu articles for completeness.

Last edited:

olivers

In post-NSG statement, France ducks ENR ban on India
Sandeep Dikshit Share · print · T+

In a carefully worded statement that conceals as much as it reveals, France has sought to reassure India that its recent endorsement of tighter rules for the export of enrichment and reprocessing equipment (ENR) at the Nuclear Suppliers Group "in no way undermines the parameters of our bilateral cooperation" in the nuclear field.

France is committed to the full implementation of its cooperation agreement on the development of peaceful uses of nuclear energy signed on September 30, 2008, Ambassador of France to India Jérôme Bonnafont said in a statement on Friday. ``France confirms that this NSG decision in no way undermines the parameters of our bilateral cooperation".

``Coming after the decision of exemption from the full-scope safeguards clause, adopted in favour of India in September 2008, it does not undermine the principles of this exemption,'' he added.

Mr. Bonnafont's articulation of France's position comes in the wake of an Indian demarche reminding Paris of the specific assurance on ENR President Nicolas Sarkozy gave Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in July 2009 when the latter had expressed his disappointment at the G8 support for a new rule at the NSG banning ENR sales to countries that have not signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

However, the latest French statement is silent about that presidential pledge. Ambassador Bonnafont's declaration that the new NSG ban will not undermine the bilateral Franco-Indian agreement is a non-sequitur since that agreement does not cover ENR transfers anyway. And though his reassurance about the validity of the exemption the NSG gave India from its full scope safeguards clause will be welcomed by New Delhi, the Ambassador's silence about the new condition of NPT membership for ENR transfers will not be. Indian officials regard the new rule as tantamount to a rewriting of the 2008 bargain the nuclear cartel struck with India. Anil Kakodkar, who was head of India's Atomic Energy Commission when that deal wasreached has termed the NSG's latest decision a "betrayal."

Implictly acknowledging the negative impact of the ENR ban on India, Mr. Bonnafont insisted this decision "does not target any country but is the fruit of prolonged discussions initiated in 2004".

Indian officials do not agree, noting that even if the ENR discussions went back to 2004, France and others ought to have incorporated India's exemption into the new rules, in keeping with the letter and spirit of the 2008 clean waiver.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles