India's own AESA Radars....dream to reality

tsunami

Country flag
110w for 7 trm stands like roughly 15w per trm or 1.5 kw for 1000 trm.

I thought GaN consume more power....ccooling req is higher than GaAs trms. Any other radars for power comparison.

I am a layman in terms of radar stuff. Guys what did I miss
As per the last pic it reads "There are 7 TR modules in 1 TRMM. Each TR module will generate 110w power for transmission."

lcafanboy

Country flag
110w for 7 trm stands like roughly 15w per trm or 1.5 kw for 1000 trm.

I thought GaN consume more power....ccooling req is higher than GaAs trms. Any other radars for power comparison.

I am a layman in terms of radar stuff. Guys what did I miss
Software optimisation, testing different modes and ew warfare suite integration will take time. It should be ready for LCA Mk2 and su30mki upgrade if they plan to use it for Sukhoi..

Prashant12

Country flag

Enquirer

What is the update on AESA radar?

The AESA radar is integrated with the Light Combat Aircraft. The test and evaluation are going on at the moment. We are confident that AESA radar would be fully proven by the next year and would be ready for induction on Tejas Mk 1A.

http://forceindia.net/interview/sec...development-organisation-dr-g-satheesh-reddy/
This is BIG!!! Uttam in Mk1A!!!!!

Which also begs the question about missile integration. I think Israelis will gleefully integrate Derby etc with Uttam. The R73 via Russians is questionable....India might just go for ASRAAM or Mica (which also will need UK/France help).

Last edited:

Anathema

Country flag
This is BIG!!! Uttam in Mk1A!!!!!

Which also begs the question about missile integration. I think Israelis will gleefully integrate Derby etc with Uttam. The R73 via Russians is questionable....India might just go for ASRAAM or Mica (which also will need UK/France help).
Israelis will be equally pissed of that 2052 will be limited. But if this happens then a truly great story for us. Will bring down the price of aircraft too. Meteor integration will also be possible

Enquirer

Israelis will be equally pissed of that 2052 will be limited. But if this happens then a truly great story for us. Will bring down the price of aircraft too. Meteor integration will also be possible
I doubt about Meteor!
Uttam has a very limited range (around 130kms search range and smaller targeting range). If the radar cannot see a far off target then it cannot possibly fire at it!
So, Tejas won't have Meteor.
Also, if Meteor made sense on Tejas then it might have made sense with Israeli radar too (French were mostly opposed to integration with Russian radar.....on Su-30MKI where Meteor made most sense given the long range radar)

Anathema

Country flag
I doubt about Meteor!
Uttam has a very limited range (around 130kms search range and smaller targeting range). If the radar cannot see a far off target then it cannot possibly fire at it!
Also, if Meteor made sense on Tejas then it might have made sense with Israeli radar too (French were mostly opposed to integration with Russian radar.....on Su-30MKI where Meteor made most sense given the long range radar)
Dont know about the Range - I havent read any reports about range. We dont even know how T/R modules have been designed. So will wait for that - if you have any link ,do let me know.
With regards to Meteor , MBDA is on record stating they are extremely apprehensive mating Meteor with 2052 due to israeli involvement. They are wary of ip leak. Su 30 anyways is ruled out.

Enquirer

Dont know about the Range - I havent read any reports about range. We dont even know how T/R modules have been designed. So will wait for that - if you have any link ,do let me know.
With regards to Meteor , MBDA is on record stating they are extremely apprehensive mating Meteor with 2052 due to israeli involvement. They are wary of ip leak. Su 30 anyways is ruled out.
All radars on consideration for Tejas have been in the 130km range (including the RBE-2 radar that Thales offered to downsize for Tejas). Beyond the mere TR-count the power available to the aircraft also determines the size and range of radar fitted on.
Rest assured, Tejas won't have 250-300 kms radar range!!

IndianHawk

Country flag
All radars on consideration for Tejas have been in the 130km range (including the RBE-2 radar that Thales offered to downsize for Tejas). Beyond the mere TR-count the power available to the aircraft also determines the size and range of radar fitted on.
Rest assured, Tejas won't have 250-300 kms radar range!!
Tejas radome is as big as rafale or maybe slightly bigger . If radar is limited range it's power supply issue not size.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
I doubt about Meteor!
MBDA said it will only mate Meteor on European radar or an Indian radar.

So Uttam opens that door. Also meteor USP is its nez which is 60km+ , so even 130 km range meteor can be used and force any paki /chinki plane to stay well away from lca.

Gripen also has same power as lca and uses meteor! Lca can use it to although in limited numbers.

Enquirer

MBDA said it will only mate Meteor on European radar or an Indian radar.

So Uttam opens that door. Also meteor USP is its nez which is 60km+ , so even 130 km range meteor can be used and force any paki /chinki plane to stay well away from lca.

Gripen also has same power as lca and uses meteor! Lca can use it to although in limited numbers.

Saab happened to be the developer for both Gripen and Meteor!!! As such initial integration and tests were performed on Gripen; and Swedish Air Force also bought it!!
Outside of Sweden, meteor is intended for aircraft with more powerful radars (Rafale, Eurofighter etc).

IndianHawk

Country flag
Saab happened to be the developer for both Gripen and Meteor!!! As such initial integration and tests were performed on Gripen; and Swedish Air Force also bought it!!
Outside of Sweden, meteor is intended for aircraft with more powerful radars (Rafale, Eurofighter etc).
Point is gripen has small radar and only single engine power.
Meteor is still more deadly than aim 120c5/c7 even at 130 km range as it's NEZ is much higher so lca mk1a can effectively use it and achieve superiority over Pakistani f16 even with 130 km range.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles