India's nuclear arsenal failed by 'unreliable' missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
In this case, please ask your DoD to release an official memo to restate your nuclear weapon policy since it is not something you can joke about.
Here is the original nuclear doctrine of India (its just 1 page) released in 2003. Focus on highlighted part.

CABINET COMMITTEE ON SECURITY REVIEWS PROGRESS IN OPERATIONALIZING INDIA'S NUCLEAR DOCTRINE

1.The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) met today to review the progress in operationaizing of India's nuclear doctrine. The Committee decided that the following information, regarding the nuclear doctrine and operational arrangements governing India's nuclear assets, should be shared with the public.

2. India's nuclear doctrine can be summarized as follows:

Building and maintaining a credible minimum deterrent;

A posture of "No First Use" nuclear weapons will only be used in retaliation against a nuclear attack on Indian territory or on Indian forces anywhere;

Nuclear retaliation to a first strike will be massive and designed to inflict unacceptable damage.

Nuclear retaliatory attacks can only be authorised by the civilian political leadership through the Nuclear Command Authority.

Non-use of nuclear weapons against non-nuclear weapon states;

However, in the event of a major attack against India, or Indian forces anywhere, by biological or chemical weapons, India will retain the option of retaliating with nuclear weapons;

A continuance of strict controls on export of nuclear and missile related materials and technologies, participation in the Fissile Material Cutoff Treaty negotiations, and continued observance of the moratorium on nuclear tests.

Continued commitment to the goal of a nuclear weapon free world, through global, verifiable and non-discriminatory nuclear disarmament.

3. The Nuclear Command Authority comprises a Political Council and an Executive Council. The Political Council is chaired by the Prime Minister. It is the sole body which can authorize the use of nuclear weapons.

4 The Executive Council is chaired by the National Security Advisor. It provides inputs for decision making by the Nuclear Command Authority and executes the directives given to it by the Political Council.

5. The CCS reviewed the existing command and control structures, the state of readiness, the targetting strategy for a retaliatory attack, and operating procedures for various stages of alert and launch. The Committee expressed satisfaction with the overall preparedness. The CCS approved the appointment of a Commander-in-Chief, Strategic Forces Command, to manage and administer all Strategic Forces.

6. The CCS also reviewed and approved the arrangements for alternate chains of command for retaliatory nuclear strikes in all eventualities.

PIB Press Releases

And to qualify above nuclear doctrine with another recent official statement, I highlight this official statement by Indian external affairs minister.

No change in India's nuclear doctrine: Krishna

External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna on Wednesday asserted that there would be no revision of India's no-first-use nuclear doctrine and said minimum credible deterrence would be maintained in view of threats and challenges.

The Hindu : Front Page : No change in India's nuclear doctrine: Krishna

In the light of above, you have to discard Mr. Menon's statement on nuclear doctrine as an error. I think now you can sleep well. :D

Impluseblade

Please send an edit request to wiki that many Indians and the rest of world use daily. Until then, I will sleep well.

In the light of above, you have to discard Mr. Menon's statement on nuclear doctrine as an error. I think now you can sleep well. :D

Bheeshma

Impulseblade is again spouting rubbish. Remember how the chicoms squealed that A-5 has 8000 km ran to everyone to complain. A-3 & A-5 takes care of china. I hope Impulse blade can convince the shit scared chinese govt that Indian A-5 is no threat to them and they should not wet their undies so much.
Agni-V can reach targets 8,000 km away: Chinese researcher - Times Of India

China did not face threat from anyone till they started meddling in others affairs and became the worlds leading missile and nuclear proliferation center. The poor quality and reliability of chinese ballistic missiles coupled with low CEP required china to have megaton yield nukes while India is satisfied with a 100-200 kilotons.

Impluseblade

From your reporter:

India vs China in Missile Technology: China Ahead of India - International Business Times.

Cursing and speaking of non-sense will make you happy but won't make your country stronger.

Impulseblade is again spouting rubbish. Remember how the chicoms squealed that A-5 has 8000 km ran to everyone to complain. A-3 & A-5 takes care of china. I hope Impulse blade can convince the shit scared chinese govt that Indian A-5 is no threat to them and they should not wet their undies so much.

China did not face threat from anyone till they started meddling in others affairs and became the worlds leading missile and nuclear proliferation center. The poor quality and reliability of chinese ballistic missiles coupled with low CEP required china to have megaton yield nukes while India is satisfied with a 100-200 kilotons.

Bheeshma

Yes yes please tell CPC not to wet themselves in fear. Agni-5 and the rest are all mythical and non existant. Go get some sleep. No need to stay awake in fear all night.:rofl::rofl:
Chinese missile tech = low tech copy of russian missiles or copied 70's era french and italian missiles. We know so we don't care and are not worried.:cool2:

EzioAltaïr

India's missile program is China specific while Chinese want a credible deterrence
against Russia and USA.
Exactly. Most Chinese brag about their so called 14,000 km range missile, and say that India is incapable of making one, not realising that we don't even want one. Even the Agni V was done not 'coz the GoI ordered, but because DRDO said "I'm in the mood for an ICBM", and GoI sanctioned the projects. The officials have even stated that making the Agni VI reach 7500km is well within their reach, as it only requires an increment in the Agni V range.

When India feels that USA is a threat, we'll make it 14,000 km range. Till then, we don't give a damn.

Country flag
Exactly. Most Chinese brag about their so called 14,000 km range missile, and say that India is incapable of making one, not realising that we don't even want one. Even the Agni V was done not 'coz the GoI ordered, but because DRDO said "I'm in the mood for an ICBM", and GoI sanctioned the projects. The officials have even stated that making the Agni VI reach 7500km is well within their reach, as it only requires an increment in the Agni V range.

When India feels that USA is a threat, we'll make it 14,000 km range. Till then, we don't give a damn.
Chinese govt claims agni 5 is a 8,000km missile

EzioAltaïr

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Be less confuse, Be aware more..

I actually got confused of your edits. Listing fictional weapons will get the job done for what?

No disagree with CCTV agent..

Last edited by a moderator:

EzioAltaïr

I actually got confused of your edits. Listing fictional weapons will get the job done for what?
The Agni V has been developed already. Unlike Pakistan and China, who declare a missile successful after one single test, we test each missile at least 2-3 times independently of the armed forces, then 3-5 times as user trials by the armed forces themselves, and regular tests which incorporate new systems. Since only the first test has been done for Agni IV and Agni V, that's why they are listed as Under Development. Rest assured that in case of an immediate war, India will discard it's long, drawn out (but foolproof) testing policy, and deploy all missiles right away. As for the Agni III being inducted and not Operational, within 1-3 months, our fifth missile regiment will be raised, and use the Agni III.

Country flag
The Agni V has been developed already. Unlike Pakistan and China, who declare a missile successful after one single test, we test each missile at least 2-3 times independently of the armed forces, then 3-5 times as user trials by the armed forces themselves, and regular tests which incorporate new systems. Since only the first test has been done for Agni IV and Agni V, that's why they are listed as Under Development. Rest assured that in case of an immediate war, India will discard it's long, drawn out (but foolproof) testing policy, and deploy all missiles right away. As for the Agni III being inducted and not Operational, within 1-3 months, our fifth missile regiment will be raised, and use the Agni III.

with all the tests we conduct I have a feeling many new missiles are being tested under old missile titles
look at how many times prithvi has been tested last 30 years. Do think all the tests were prithvi?
Where did Dhanush,PDV,PAD come from??

EzioAltaïr

with all the tests we conduct I have a feeling many new missiles are being tested under old missile titles
look at how many times prithvi has been tested last 30 years. Do think all the tests were prithvi?
Where did Dhanush,PDV,PAD come from??
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dhanush a naval Prithvi? Also, I've heard that PAD shares a few design similarities with the Prithvi as well. What's the PDV again? I'd read about it but forgot, my bad.

Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Dhanush a naval Prithvi? Also, I've heard that PAD shares a few design similarities with the Prithvi as well. What's the PDV again? I'd read about it but forgot, my bad.
These missiles were probably all tested under the heading of a prithvi missile
test but all turned out to be different versions of Prithvi. PDV is the evolution of
PAD into a hypersonic long range interceptor.

http://idp.justthe80.com/missiles/ballistic-missile-defense-bmd-system#TOC-PDV-Interceptor-Missile

PDV Interceptor Missile

The PAD-1 missile will be replaced with the PDV missile, which has two solid fuel stages.

The PDV will be capable of intercepting enemy missiles at altitudes upto 150 km. Like the PAD, it will feature a directional warhead.

It will be equipped with a innovative system to allow the missile to maneuver at altitudes up to 150 km, well outside the earth's atmosphere.

"The PDV will be the mainstay of the defence shield," Dr Saraswat told India Today in June 2010.

The first trial of the missile was initially scheduled for late June or early July 2010. On February 14, 2012, DRDO Chief VK Saraswat told Express News Service that the missile would be tested by the end of 2012.

"If every thing goes as per the plan, the new missile that can also carry the directional warhead would be test-fired by the year-end," Saraswat said.

PDV Test

DRDO had scheduled a test of its PDV Phase-1 exo-atmospheric interceptor missile (See above) in end June - early July 2011.

"We will have a test in end June or early July and are calling this new missile the PDV and it will have two solid stages," Dr Saraswat had said.

In August 2011, DRDO's Chief Controller for Missiles and Strategic Systems, Dr. Avinash Chander told Business India:

"We are planning more ABM trials in a month or two. Both exo and endo-atmospheric interceptors are doing well in development. We already have a demonstrated capability against enemy missiles that are fired from up to 2000 kilometres away. After some more trials we will be going into deployment mode. The ground systems and the missiles are going to be available"¦ there is no issue."

Last edited:

EzioAltaïr

test but all turned out to be different versions of Prithvi. PDV is the evolution of

Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System - IDP Sentinel

PDV Interceptor Missile

The PAD-1 missile will be replaced with the PDV missile, which has two solid fuel stages.

The PDV will be capable of intercepting enemy missiles at altitudes upto 150 km. Like the PAD, it will feature a directional warhead.

It will be equipped with a innovative system to allow the missile to maneuver at altitudes up to 150 km, well outside the earth's atmosphere.

"The PDV will be the mainstay of the defence shield," Dr Saraswat told India Today in June 2010.

The first trial of the missile was initially scheduled for late June or early July 2010. On February 14, 2012, DRDO Chief VK Saraswat told Express News Service that the missile would be tested by the end of 2012.

"If every thing goes as per the plan, the new missile that can also carry the directional warhead would be test-fired by the year-end," Saraswat said.

PDV Test

DRDO had scheduled a test of its PDV Phase-1 exo-atmospheric interceptor missile (See above) in end June - early July 2011.

"We will have a test in end June or early July and are calling this new missile the PDV and it will have two solid stages," Dr Saraswat had said.

In August 2011, DRDO's Chief Controller for Missiles and Strategic Systems, Dr. Avinash Chander told Business India:

"We are planning more ABM trials in a month or two. Both exo and endo-atmospheric interceptors are doing well in development. We already have a demonstrated capability against enemy missiles that are fired from up to 2000 kilometres away. After some more trials we will be going into deployment mode. The ground systems and the missiles are going to be available"¦ there is no issue."
Will be tested. That means for at least 3 years more, our only ABMs are anti SRBM interceptors. We can't intercept IRBMs easily. By the way, what does PDV stand for, can't see it in the article.

Country flag

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Because USA publically threated China with a nuclear war during the korea war! I have never heared anyone threats india with that!

Oh, really? You don't dream to nuke China?
How many times our india friends kindly point out which part of China will be within the shadow of your new missiles?
How many times our india friends suggest that india should nuke China if Pak starts a nuclear war with india?
My friend, you seem to be lost and your words are not logical.
1) or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ?
China developed nuclear weapons for self-defence. During the cold war, China was facing nuclear threats from both U.S. and USSR.

2) Indians have guts and confidence to declare "no first use policy" against more powerful enemy like China that's it!
Again you have to eat your words. You don't have a real "no first use" policy. Please read the following carefully:

Indian National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon signaled a significant shift from "No first use" to "no first use against non-nuclear weapon states" in a speech on the occasion of Golden Jubilee celebrations of National Defence College in New Delhi on October 21, 2010.

India and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3) unlike your kid Pakistan jumping and dreaming to nuke India all the time, we Indians doesn't dream to nuke China.
Thanks for stating that China holds an upper hand against India. But we also don't have the intent to nuke India, or any other countries.

I am sorry but both of you have utterly failed to understand the logic I put in my post #39 !

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) System - IDP Sentinel

PDV Interceptor Missile

PDV Test

PDV is taking lot of time, with the experiance of more then 75 prithvi missile test and add agnis to the list, wonder if they are cooking some thing really good, as PDV is must for first stage of our BMD, PAD is too big for launch vehicle to carry it in numbers. They have gone soft on PDV, it has to be good reason for it. We already saw model of its launcher made by L&T.
Hope cookes get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles