India's longest railway tunnel excavated in J-K

Country flag
India's longest railway tunnel excavated in J-K, IBN Live News

Srinagar, Oct 14 (PTI) The Kashmir rail link project took a significant leap today with the completion of excavation work of a 11km-long tunnel, the longest in the country, underneath the rugged Pir Panjal mountains. The Pir Panjal tunnel, which constitutes a vital link between Udhampur and Qazigund of the national project, runs below the existing Jawahar road tunnel and promises to reduce the travelling distance between Banihal and Qazigund from 35 km to only 11 km. "It is one of the modern tunnels of the world, which also has provision for a 10-feet wide parallel road running adjacent to the rail track for carrying out rescue work," said Member (Engineering), Railway Board, A P Mishra this afternoon. Given its length, proper ventilation has been provided and measures will be taken to provide mobile connectivity for seamless communication even while travelling through it, he said, adding the entire tunneling work will be completed within six to seven months. Considered a major engineering achievement for railways, the tunnel, which is the second longest tunnel in Asia after China's Wushaoling tunnel (20 km) in Gansu, was executed by Hindustan Construction Company at a cost running close to Rs 1,100 crore. "In other words, Rs 100 crore was spent for constructing a km of the tunnel," Mishra said. The total excavated quantity from the tunnel is equal to a mountain, said officials of the construction firm. "There were several challenges like the unpredictable nature of the rock, the strain and ingress of water and harsh weather but we overcame them through careful planning and efficient use of technology," said project manager of the construction firm, Sharanappa Yalal.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
hope they have made provisions in the tunnel to hide some of Agni missile in different locations in the rail tunnel.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
hope they have made provisions in the tunnel to hide some of Agni missile in different locations in the rail tunnel.
Do you think there is a significant benefit to doing that, and would the cost therefore be justified? In a such a project, adding for example another foot to the width of the roadway would add much more expense. What width are the vehicles which carry the Agni?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Do you think there is a significant benefit to doing that, and would the cost therefore be justified? In a such a project, adding for example another foot to the width of the roadway would add much more expense. What width are the vehicles which carry the Agni?
yeah benefit of doing this is good specially against China, well it wont cost too much compare to cost of total project. Length of normal Indian rail passenger coach length is 23,54 m and width is 3,24, The New Generation Passenger Coach for Indian Railways

now compare this with Agni missile specifications
Weight 12,000 kg (Agni-I)
16,000 kg (Agni-II)
55,000 kg (Agni-III)[2]
Length 15 m (Agni-I)
20 m (Agni-II)
17 m (Agni-III)[2]
Diameter 1.0 m (Agni-I, Agni-II)
2.0 m (Agni-III)
Agni (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with the rate of growth we are enjoying it wont be problem in long run. BTW i wont be surprised if same has been done in central India, lots of rail tunnels, when ever i go to my home town.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles