India's largest naval destroyer INS VISAKHAPATNAM

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
One wonders if it was a cover up.

It would have been surely informed up the channels of Govt.

I wonder if every thing that happens in the Armed Forces is mandated to be informed to the media as if the media is the sole pillar and authority that is to decide the issue..

anupamsurey

Country flag
@SREEKAR It was in News too, the navy didn't hide it, they just didn't tell media persons about it. after all Our defense forces do not answer to media.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
You get what you can afford or deserve. Please compare US navy vs Indian navy budget.

Doesn't mean when your friend gets a beautiful wife so you too should get same :)
I'm not comparing..just asking my doubt because..
Evolved sea sparrow SAM missile with 50km range comes in quad pack for us destroyers..(1 cell 4 missiles)
so barak8 has almost same dimensions..

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Apparently Vizag class won't look anything like the Kolkata class besides its hull. It will no longer have a tall mast with all four MF-STAR domes in one place. Navy designers are working on a shorter superstructure that will see the four MF-STAR domes spread on four diagonal corners of the superstructure, much like USN Arleigh-Burke class and PLAN 052D.

Anupu

Country flag
Apparently Vizag class won't look anything like the Kolkata class besides its hull. It will no longer have a tall mast with all four MF-STAR domes in one place. Navy designers are working on a shorter superstructure that will see the four MF-STAR domes spread on four diagonal corners of the superstructure, much like USN Arleigh-Burke class and PLAN 052D.
Could you give me a reference? I just want to learn for my knowledge.

aditya g

Country flag
Hoisting the radar on a tall mast has significant performance benefits for the radar. I doubt navy will abandon this design.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
A glimpse of Navy's stealth destroyer 'Mormugao' to be launched this Saturday

Come this Saturday and another warship for the Indian Navy will taste sea-waters. This time, it will be Mormugao, a stealth destroyer of the Visakhapatnam Class, that will be launched at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL).

This 7,300 tonnes Mormugao is the second ship being constructed at MDL under Project 15B, the first was Visakhapatnam, which was launched on April 20 in 2015.

"This Saturday, the second ship that has being named as Mormugao will be launched ahead of its schedule. During the launch ceremony, the hull of the ship, will be floated on water for the first time. It is a milestone event for any vessel," said commander Rahul Sinha, spokesperson of Indian Navy.

MDL is also constructing four follow-on destroyers, christened as P-15B. Admiral Sunil Lanba, chief of Naval Staff, will be the chief guest at the function. The destroyer will be fitted with Barak-8 long range missiles after it gets ready.

Post the launch, the bridge will be constructed during the next one year. "Detailed design of the futuristic stealth frigates, P17A is currently in progress. Work on this will commence in early 2017. This will be the first time, MDL will be using the integrated construction methodology by leveraging the new infrastructure in the yard. This will be a paradigm shift in the way ships will be built in India in the years to come," added Sinha.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The mast is a noted change. I think it could be majorly on the internal structure or maybe a very slight external difference.
I was really expecting a change to Arleigh-Burke/Type-052D styled diagonal placement of radar domes along the superstructure.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
IN must have some 30 destroyers.
It seems we have plan for only some dozen destroyer.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles