India's energy needs

illusion8

India's energy needs

This growing economic, political and strategic mega-democracy, with a population approaching 1.2 billion, was one of the first economies to recover from the global financial woes of 2008.

India currently relies on coal for 80 per cent of its electricity generation needs, causing India to be the third largest coal burning nation on earth.

The World Nuclear Association reports that India plans to expand nuclear power capacity to at least 25 per cent of its total requirements by 2050.

India's energy needs

Demand is outstripping supply. Will the country find the reserves it needs to fuel its growth engine?
As India's economy accelerates, so does the quest for energy to keep its growth humming. The country's consumption of coal, oil, natural gas, and electricity is projected to rise by nearly 40 percent over the next five years and almost to double by 2020.

Securing India's energy needs - McKinsey Quarterly - Energy, Resources, Materials - Strategy & Analysis

India: Breaking Free of Energy Dependence?
Given India's rapid growth, it is seeing a surge in demand for energy that is outstripping what current domestic supplies can cover. However, in trying to secure foreign sources of energy, India is playing a game in which China already has an enormous head start, having already lost several bids for natural gas supplies. Domestically, both politics and poor infrastructure have conspired to make development of new energy sources, including in coal, hydro, nuclear, and renewables a major challenge. Managing energy demand, meanwhile, can be a political minefield, as the recent protests over fuel subsidy cuts demonstrate. New oil and gas fields, as well as the nascent nuclear sector, can help lessen the need for foreign energy deals, but the success of these new efforts is not guaranteed. If India cannot properly balance the mix of foreign and domestic energy supplies, it could pose a threat to its future growth potential.

India: Breaking Free of Energy Dependence? - GR Energy & Climate Briefs - Garten Rothkopf

India scours Australia for coal
GVK Power is set to become the third Indian power company to buy Australian coal reserves, news reports said Thursday.
GVK is expected to lay out 2 billion Australian dollars (2.1 billion US dollars) for Hancock Prospecting's Galilee reserves, with 6 billion Australia dollars needed for train lines to get the coal the 500 kilometres to a terminal at Abbot Point on the coast, The Australian newspaper reported.
India plans to double power generation over the coming decade. There are 28-coal-fired plants under construction and another 28 on the drawing board.

Hindujas to energise India power foray; looks to source Qatar gas
India needs to add over 75,000 MW in the five years to March 2017 to support its target of 9 percent GDP growth, according to a government report. That will cost roughly 11 trillion rupees ($210 billion), with half of it to come from the private sector, where investor appetite is weak.
Puri said that the company was open to picking up small equity stakes in coal projects overseas to lock in supplies and for trading arrangements.
The Vizag project has tied up 85 percent of its output already through long-term power purchase agreements, Puri said.
The Hinduja Group is also in discussions with the Qatar government for sourcing gas to fire future projects along the eastern coast of India.

illusion8

South Korea and India sign nuclear deal
South Korea's ambitions to enter the Indian energy market have received a big boost as the two countries signed a civil nuclear deal.

The agreement will allow South Korea to export its nuclear energy technology to India.

The deal comes at a time when India has been struggling to keep up its energy supply to meet the increased demand in wake of its rapid expansion.

South Korea is the ninth country to sign a nuclear deal with India.

BBC News - South Korea and India sign nuclear deal

trackwhack

Nuclear is our only hope. Offshore Nuclear installations. Create artificial land masses 20 km out at sea close to uninhabited archipelagos in shallow water areas. We are blessed with 100's of such sites. Install 500 MW PHWR's and FBR. By 2020 swith to Thorium Breeders and AHWR's. In 50 years we should have 500 such reactors. All offshore.

Why this lack of vision? Why this obsession to do what China is doing? When we have an opportunity to move from dirty energy to clean energy...

Ah crap, someday I hope we have a leader who is a visionary.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Nuclear is our only hope. Offshore Nuclear installations. Create artificial land masses 20 km out at sea close to uninhabited archipelagos in shallow water areas. We are blessed with 100's of such sites. Install 500 MW PHWR's and FBR. By 2020 swith to Thorium Breeders and AHWR's. In 50 years we should have 500 such reactors. All offshore.

Why this lack of vision? Why this obsession to do what China is doing? When we have an opportunity to move from dirty energy to clean energy...

Transmission would be too costly in case of offshore reactors.

illusion8

Installing Nuclear power plants and making them critical will take time, also the technology needs to be imported, you are so right, there is severe lack of vision on India's part but the articles show that India is finally moving in the right directions.

trackwhack

Transmission would be too costly in case of offshore reactors.
No Dovahkiin. Transmission losses are an old story. New technology limits transmission losses to under 10% for span of upto 1500 km. Here is an article you can read on it.

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/NETWORKS/ELECDIST/Documents1/Sohn%20Overview%20of%20Losses%20FINAL%20Internet%20version.pdf

With our pathetic transmission infrastructure we are clocking about 20% losses. But we can do a lot to limit this to under 5%.

Last edited:

trackwhack

Installing Nuclear power plants and making them critical will take time, also the technology needs to be imported, you are so right, there is severe lack of vision on India's part but the articles show that India is finally moving in the right directions.
I politely disagree with that too. Serial, modular production of PHWR's would enable us to complete installation of an entire 500 MW system in 3 months. This infrastructure for serial production can be built within 3-4 years. In 10 years at that rate we would have 40 PHWR's, with 2000 MW going critical every year.

Compare that to the acquisition, mining, transportation and power generation setup resulting from a new coal mine. Nuclear is faster, more efficient and finally safer for the planet and our environment.
Forget global warming, I am concerned only about my nations environment. More than half of our coal is under pristine reserve forests. We dont want to lose that.

Vyom

Seeker

I think we can also draw huge benefits from wind and sea water energy in coastal areas. We need massive and swift research in this regard. In the plains we can look for solar and nuclear energy.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
12th plan envisions to use nuclear technology to fulfill 15% of total energy demands. I doubt if we can do better than that in current situation.

illusion8

I politely disagree with that too. Serial, modular production of PHWR's would enable us to complete installation of an entire 500 MW system in 3 months. This infrastructure for serial production can be built within 3-4 years. In 10 years at that rate we would have 40 PHWR's, with 2000 MW going critical every year.

Compare that to the acquisition, mining, transportation and power generation setup resulting from a new coal mine. Nuclear is faster, more efficient and finally safer for the planet and our environment.
Forget global warming, I am concerned only about my nations environment. More than half of our coal is under pristine reserve forests. We dont want to lose that.
Yeah major coal reserves are in the north east and under forest cover, though Nuclear power is critical to India, there are alternate sources of power available to India as well, are you aware that we have installed pedestrian based power generation in Mumbai? - i.e. people walking on pavements can generate power. Also power can be generated from waste, My friends are working on such a project in Karnataka. Its a 1400 mw power project where power is generated from daily household waste.

trackwhack

I think we can also draw huge benefits from wind and sea water energy in coastal areas. We need massive and swift research in this regard. In the plains we can look for solar and nuclear energy.
The problem is that Wind and Sea are not energy intensive enough for industries and big cities. Wind and sea have a role to play in semi urban electrification though.

Another thought is the rate at which solar efficiency is improving, it is predicted that within 2025, solar energy will become cheaper than current day coal. If that happens then it will make a massive impact. The GULF will collapse overnight

trackwhack

Yeah major coal reserves are in the north east and under forest cover, though Nuclear power is critical to India, there are alternate sources of power available to India as well, are you aware that we have installed pedestrian based power generation in Mumbai? - i.e. people walking on pavements can generate power. Also power can be generated from waste, My friends are working on such a project in Karnataka. Its a 1400 mw power project where power is generated from daily household waste.
Very interesting, can you point me to a source where I can read about this? I try to keep track of most of such activity. Thanks you.

illusion8

The problem is that Wind and Sea are not energy intensive enough for industries and big cities. Wind and sea have a role to play in semi urban electrification though.

Another thought is the rate at which solar efficiency is improving, it is predicted that within 2025, solar energy will become cheaper than current day coal. If that happens then it will make a massive impact. The GULF will collapse overnight
Wind is a good source, but high velocity wind areas are quite few, the new wind turbines installed where one wind turbine can easily provide power to 2000 households which as you rightly say can take care of semi urban towns. Solar energy is a costly affair and though environment friendly is not beneficial for companies to invest in India if one considers cost to profit ratio.

Vyom

Seeker

Take a look at these:

http://www.energy.siemens.com/hq/po...issue-4/Energy_04_Marine_Current_Turbines.pdf

Baltic Sea Could Be Home to 1 GW of Wind Power Capacity | Renewable Energy News Article

illusion8

Very interesting, can you point me to a source where I can read about this? I try to keep track of most of such activity. Thanks you.
This is an ongoing project so I can just give you a few details.
[FONT=&quot]Synopsys[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Preamble:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]World is looking forward to source power fromenvironment; conventional methods. Especially, recent tsunami destruction inJapan, effects radiation and failure to contain it there is a total shift inapproach to produce electric energy. India has a major problem and requirementas it has to rethink its approach to method to generate energy.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Theminimum quantity of waste is 20 T of dry waste per day. It can generate 2 MW ofpower and 10,000 litres of bio gradable fuel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Theunits can be cascaded to handle waste in multiple of 20T. There is no need tosegregate waste. Except metals and concrete all other waste are consumed.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Theresidual product is ash which can be used as a fertilizer.[/FONT]Thesystem has gone through many tests and evaluations over the years and thelatest generation has now proved to be the most cost effective and efficientproduction system in the world

Its an open forum so I am not adding the tech involved.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

trackwhack

This is an ongoing project so I can just give you a few details.
[FONT=&amp]Synopsys[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Preamble:[/FONT][FONT=&amp]World is looking forward to source power fromenvironment; conventional methods. Especially, recent tsunami destruction inJapan, effects radiation and failure to contain it there is a total shift inapproach to produce electric energy. India has a major problem and requirementas it has to rethink its approach to method to generate energy.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]1. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Theminimum quantity of waste is 20 T of dry waste per day. It can generate 2 MW ofpower and 10,000 litres of bio gradable fuel.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]2. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Theunits can be cascaded to handle waste in multiple of 20T. There is no need tosegregate waste. Except metals and concrete all other waste are consumed.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]1. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Theresidual product is ash which can be used as a fertilizer.[/FONT]Thesystem has gone through many tests and evaluations over the years and thelatest generation has now proved to be the most cost effective and efficientproduction system in the world

Its an open forum so I am not adding the tech involved.[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
I thought this tech is open source as there are similar projects in California. Its basically an underground ingestor that creates methane which is captured and used just like natural gas. I cant see there being an alternate approach.

illusion8

^^^ Its not exactly based on methane, the process used gives higher yield with almost zero green house gas, plus bio fuel as a by - product, Plus no segregation of garbage is required in any stage so less time consuming and less labor intensive. I agree this tech is in use in two countries already and US is not one of them.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles