India's economic crisis 2019

dude00720

Country flag
Manufacturing is up by 0.6% only primarily due to auto sector.
Even there 2,3 wheeler only down 7%. But, Passenger vehicles massively down by 31%,

Reasons -;
1. Taxi aggregators made huge buying in last 2-3 years, so sustaining same demand is gonna be hard,
2. Behaviour of customers have changed, I dont think about a new car since, I have ola or uber an app away.
3. Bharat-6 is blocking buying of cars.

Now, things will rebound on a low base next year. But, Yes, main worry is core manufacturing like steel which could suffer since, auto is a big buyer of core steel for cars.

ashdoc

Country flag
Isn't meera Sanyal the one who was an AAP candidate from Mumbai?

I wonder how objective can she be?
She was independent candidate from Mumbai . But later she joined Aap . The title of the book was provocative and so I bought from Amazon. Only after opening the book I realized she had AAP connection.

Joker

Country flag
She was independent candidate from Mumbai . But later she joined Aap . The title of the book was provocative and so I bought from Amazon. Only after opening the book I realized she had AAP connection.
I am not criticizing your decision to buy the book. It's completely your choice bro....but Sanyal was daughter of a decorated naval officer, an insead MBA and head of a MNC active in NGO circle, I wonder how much of knowledge this person had on the routine aspects of life on the ground

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
After 370 got abolished, Piddis and durbari slaves of vadara / italian maffia family have suddenly abandoned cow, lynching, guaraksha, patriarchy, fake feminism, Yogi etc etc. These days all these vadara family piddis have become self proclaimed economists!

They have no clue about global macro economic conditions, trade wars, protectionism, global slow down and extinguishing NPA mess (which has infact corrected the inflated figures of the past). They also forgot that under their piddi economist PM MMS, economy nose dived to 3-3.5 %.

But the piddis are piddis, always led by their 'good sheperds' who keep their flock together.

ashdoc

Country flag
Anyway as I read the book further , the author gives the usual sob stories of people who suffered temporarily during the demonetization. She gives many examples from koli fisherwomen in Mumbai to farmers in the countryside. I read those cursorily and fast . Because I had already seen that on TV in those times. In my opinion these people suffered only temporarily and later their sufferings eased as cash was made available. And meera sanyal has not upto now come up with any explanation as to what made the same people vote for BJP in later elections.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
India has been 'poster child' for IMF, says new book

India has been a "poster child" for the International Monetary Fund (IMF), as all of the three IMF programmes in India were seamlessly implemented, and the moneys were repaid on time, says a new book on Indias relations with the Bretton Woods institution.

"We are a major player, and a founder member of the Fund. And we bring in a lot of credibility," says V. Srinivas, Additional Secretary, Department of Administrative Reforms & Public Grievances (DARPG).

In his book, "India's Relations with IMF: 25 Years In Perspective - 1991-2016", the author has detailed many of the interactions between India and the IMF.

Srinivas, who served as Advisor to Executive Director in the IMF from 2003 to 2006 and represented India on the IMF Executive Board in 500 meetings, says: "The IMF is the world's lender of last resort, its approach is multilateral, multicultural, multi-ethnic and above all highly professional - the collective intellectual firepower of macroeconomists the IMF carries is unmatched by any organisation in the world".

India is an original member of the IMF. In 1944, India was represented at the Bretton Woods Conference by a six-member team led by Finance Minister Sir Jeremy Raisman, the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India, Sir C.D. Deshmukh, and A.D. Shroff. "It was felt that India should lend its support to an institution, which was intended to put an end to the disastrous practices of competitive depreciation of currencies by establishing exchange rates. India's quota was the 5th largest in 1945," says Srinivas.

The author has highlighted the role of IMF as the world's lender of last resort, formulating policies to enable crisis-ridden countries to regain macroeconomic stability. The book deals with nine major global financial crisis, from the Great Depression to the Great Recession, including the Suez Crisis, the International Debt Crisis, the East Asian Economic Crisis, the Russian Economic Crisis, among others.

India has availed of three fund programmes -- in 1966, 1981 and 1991.

"We have had excellent relations with IMF for a nation in South Asia, considering that its relations with Southeast Asian nations like Malaysia and Thailand were extremely bitter. Post the 1997 Asian financial crisis, these nations felt the fund was extremely tough on them in pushing reforms. They felt the hardships put on their citizens was extremely hard," Srinivas told IANS.

"During all three programmes we've had cordial and constructive relations with the Fund, except in the first one when the aid took some time to materialise.

"In the current context, we are a donor country to IMF, we have the eighth largest quota. Our financial integration with the world is quite rapid in that we have one of the largest financial sectors of the world, and it needs to open up some more," he adds.

Following the 2008-10 global crisis, which the Fund never saw coming, it has now strengthened its ability to predict a financial crisis. "It has strengthened its surveillance tool kit by enhancing multilateral surveillances, enhancing their spill-over reports, it has started addressing issues for international global collaboration through increased financial sector oversight," he added.

"The subject of my book is that multilateralism is very much relevant, and India is a key player in enhancing global multilateralism. And we need a lender of the last resort, at a time of competitive exchange rates. The IMF should strengthen its surveillance practices to predict prices better and improve its tool kit so that the Fund's conditionality should not cause enormous suffering and social sector dislocation.

"There is also a full chapter on how China has risen. Earlier, China was voting slightly more than us. We were voting 2.11, and they were voting 2.38 - according to the terms of quota. Now they are voting at over 6 per cent, they are the third largest, that is a significant jump. The rise of China in the global economy is a significant change," the author said.

"India would continue to play a very critical role, and continue to be a voice for developing countries of the world from emerging market economies, and as a democracy with a very vibrant financial sector and significant economy," Srinivas added.

India has the unique distinction of a number of staff exchanges with the IMF. Several Chief Economic Advisors of India have been IMF staffers, among them are Ashok Lahiri, Raghuram Rajan, Arvind Subramanyam.

"One of the major reasons for the seamless implementation of the 1991 program was the synergy between India's top bureaucracy and the IMF staff. There was an intellectual convergence of ideas on structural reforms and Fund conditionality," he added.

Other Indians who reached high positions in the IMF include Shailendra Anjaria, Anoop Singh, Sidharth Tiwary, Kalpana Kochar, Ratna Sahay and several others. In the Independent Evaluation Office, Montek Singh Ahluwalia served as Director. A few of the Indians returned to serve in the Ministry of Finance.

The book, published by the Indian Council of World Affairs and Vij Books, has a foreword by Y.V. Reddy, former RBI Governor and Chairman of the 14th Finance Commission. The book was released by present RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das.IANS
http://www.theweekendleader.com/Hea...-been-poster-child-for-imf-says-new-book.html

YagamiLight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@YagamiLight You could've left out political flame-baits which degrades the discussion

Anyways, there is definitely a slowdown (multiple reasons). It's high time GoI fixes labour and land acquisition laws. US-China trade war is a golden opportunity.
The only people who were right about this govt's pathetic economic policies in this forumwere me and @Sakal Gharelu Ustad. We foresaw this economic mess ages ago, by the end of modi's 1st year in office, even before he implemented retarded ideas like demonetisation.

And we rightly foresaw the disaster Demonetisation and GST was going to bring too.

And what did the forum members do? Did they debate why we were wrong? Nope. All they did was troll, name call us as congis/commies and kissed modi's ass. Now it turns out we were the ones speaking the truth all along. And even now have they learnt their lesson? Nope, they still kiss modi's ass and still name call us as commies as if that will help the economy even though every policy decision he is making on economy seems to be taken straight out of commie play book.

Tell me why should I resist the urge to rub it in on their eggridden faces on how right I was on modi's disastrous economic policies right from the start

@ashdoc @indiatester and other long term members can now atleast see where I am coming from

YagamiLight

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
@LurkerBaba btw, remember how @Sakal Gharelu Ustad was saying how bad india's labor laws are by showing a chart on how Indian firms don't grow beyond 9 employees because after that the bad labor laws like permanent jobs kick in and hence there are several small businesses which never dream of going big thanks to bad incentives? He also advocated to reform such bad laws so that small companies have the incentives to actually grow and create jobs? I don't remember the exact thread or I will post it here.

Well the recent economic survey/policy analysis and recommendations of the govt mentioned the exact same problem and came to the exact opposite conclusion being the retarded commie turds they are. You know what their recommendations for improving the amount of medium and large industries and to promote the growth of large firms? They recommended to penalise the small firms with labor laws as harsh as the ones faced by big and medium industries. Yes, that's right they saw that medium industries and big industries are not growing because of bad labor laws and their solution was to screw with the small industries too with such pathetic laws.

And look at their recent proposal to legislate free healthcare, maternity leave and shit for domestic workers. I am sure people will be please to pay their cleaning ladies for maternity:rolleyes:

And what was their budget this session like- which triggered a massive market collapse? Increase in taxes for the super rich-straight out of commie play book and other increase in indirect taxes. And the economy reacted predictably and these retards(that snobbish idiot nirmala sitaraman) had to go back on every tax proposal they made, making the entire budget session useless

Makes it very clear that this govt is being run by a bunch of clueless buffoons who have no clue as to what economy is or how to run the economy. Not very different from garib hatao disaster of indira Gandhi to be honest. And still bhakton expect a miraculous recovery in economy. I can only pity them and their ignorance.

Btw, unlike US/China, Indian economic woes are solely Indian making. It was true during UPA rule and it is true now. Unlike Chinese or US economy, Indian economy is more dependent on domestic consumption than export/imports.so don't expect economy to become a juggernaut just because global economy does so either

indiatester

Country flag
The only people who were right about this govt's pathetic economic policies in this forumwere me and @Sakal Gharelu Ustad. We foresaw this economic mess ages ago, by the end of modi's 1st year in office, even before he implemented retarded ideas like demonetisation.

And we rightly foresaw the disaster Demonetisation and GST was going to bring too.

And what did the forum members do? Did they debate why we were wrong? Nope. All they did was troll, name call us as congis/commies and kissed modi's ass. Now it turns out we were the ones speaking the truth all along. And even now have they learnt their lesson? Nope, they still kiss modi's ass and still name call us as commies as if that will help the economy even though every policy decision he is making on economy seems to be taken straight out of commie play book.

Tell me why should I resist the urge to rub it in on their eggridden faces on how right I was on modi's disastrous economic policies right from the start

@ashdoc @indiatester and other long term members can now atleast see where I am coming from
I still don't agree with you buddy.
You end up mixing politics and economy.
While one has an influence on the other, a politician can get elected on bad economy and get kicked out on good.
Your opposition to Modi is all round. You rightly pick economy as his performance on it is weak.
A lot can be done better. But its easier said than done.

ashdoc

Country flag
Jaitley should have objected the economic policies of the government but instead went along with them even though he was finance minister when demonetization was done and gst rolled out. Did not feel like offering my condolences on his obituary thread .

republic_roi97

Country flag
Jaitley should have objected the economic policies of the government but instead went along with them even though he was finance minister when demonetization was done and gst rolled out. Did not feel like offering my condolences on his obituary thread .
How much money did you lose ? Just asking lol.
Just look at our tax collection before and after Demonetisation and GST. That alone is enough for me to appreciate both. Not to mention the revolutionary amount of people who started paying their taxes.

ashdoc

Country flag
How much money did you lose ? Just asking lol.
Just look at our tax collection before and after Demonetisation and GST. That alone is enough for me to appreciate both. Not to mention the revolutionary amount of people who started paying their taxes.
jaitley's death came at a time when some people i know lost their jobs . some of them were paying EMIs for cars and some were paying EMIs for houses . what are they going to do now ?

republic_roi97

Country flag
jaitley's death came at a time when some people i know lost their jobs . some of them were paying EMIs for cars and some were paying EMIs for houses . what are they going to do now ?
Nothing new, it always happens from time to time in all the countries. Slowdown comes and goes. Sooner than later they will find a job again. You do realise this isn't just India, its happening all across the globe.

I believe you're talking about the people employed in auto sector ? If so, I am afraid companies themselves are to be blamed here as much as government is. There's a good reason given by Bajaj's CEO in a recent interview by a news paper. Google it. And BS-6 is around the corner, people are delaying their purchases for post April 2020 once, BS6 is implemented fully.

here2where

Do give a review of the book if possible...
I understand the author spent some time in the company of kujliwal and other assorted anti-nationals and leftists. We can expect the usual modi-hate filled gibberish stuff ... Nothing new.

here2where

Working in the informal sector does not give someone an inalienable right to keep operating in cash and dodge taxes forever. They are welcome to have their books audited, declare their wealth, pay tax and resume their business. They'll have to create pension and provident fund accounts for all their employees. Business owners don't want to do that. They want to earn in cash and pay their employees in cash, so that they can dodge taxes and hire and fire employees with no formal record of their income or employees. This is the Congie way of doing things.
Brilliant.

Push 300000000 ants up Dimran's ass.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles