India's Air Defense System and its Capabilities

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
View attachment 23157
Current Amateur Radar Coverage Scenario
Green Circles: THD-1955 (Kept range as 300 km only)
Deployed in Punjab, Gujrat, Rajasthan Delhi, Bangalore, West Bengal, Jharkhand(A bit doubtful.)

Red Circles: MPR like Elta-2084 and Arudhra (Kept 200 km range except for one in Gujrat which is confirmed Arudhra)
Deployed in Gujrat, A&N

In NE, Purples are highly probable Akash systems with Rohini Radars. (100 km range)

Also spotted 2 Aerostat locations. 1 was known since IMINT analysis.
The two Green Trees are BMD radars. based in orissa and bangalore
Why not include:-
  • LRTR (Swordfish) that are to be deployed in Rajasthan as part of BMD shield.
  • MOTR being deployed by ISRO
Are these aerostats the Akashdeep radars? I remember reading about a new Aerostat "Nakshatra" under development. And there was news of Israeli radars on Russian aerostats. We should have >2 aerostats by now. These are extremely important for Cruise Missile Defence.

Also, what about Alesha and Ashwini radars? Are they yet to be deployed?
And then the Army has its own range of radars: AD-TCR, Atulya and the BSR and BFMR of QRSAM.

Tanmay

Country flag
Why not include:-
  • LRTR (Swordfish) that are to be deployed in Rajasthan as part of BMD shield.
  • MOTR being deployed by ISRO
Are these aerostats the Akashdeep radars? I remember reading about a new Aerostat "Nakshatra" under development. And there was news of Israeli radars on Russian aerostats. We should have >2 aerostats by now. These are extremely important for Cruise Missile Defence.

Also, what about Alesha and Ashwini radars? Are they yet to be deployed?
And then the Army has its own range of radars: AD-TCR, Atulya and the BSR and BFMR of QRSAM.

Am still updating based on satellite images + news reports and random PDFs from govt:p. Its my own OSINT.

Alwar and Pali in Rajasthan are cleared to have BMD radars(decenmber 2017 news). Didnt see existing ones if any. Though two cities are already supposed to be in BMD ??

LLLWR includes Alesha+ Israeli supplied radars
LLTR includes Ashwini and Thales supplied GS-100 (2 induted till 2015)
MPR includes Arudhra and Elta supplied ELM2084 (also called Arudhra)

However IAF never showed them during Republic Day. DRDO showed them. Meaning probably Arudhra, Ashwini are still in development. Imported ones are deployed though(MPR,LLTR and LLLWR). My two cents.
Plus difficult to differentiate between MPR,LLTR, Rohini Radars from only satellite imagery. They seem same:/ Trailer based Mobile radars :p

Looking for Spyder SAM and Akash too. Again difficult to diiferentiate

Left out Indra Radars and Tin Shields. Cant recognise

If you do have any probable locations/news titbits do PM me.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Am still updating based on satellite images + news reports and random PDFs from govt:p. Its my own OSINT.

Alwar and Pali in Rajasthan are cleared to have BMD radars(decenmber 2017 news). Didnt see existing ones if any. Though two cities are already supposed to be in BMD ??

LLLWR includes Alesha+ Israeli supplied radars
LLTR includes Ashwini and Thales supplied GS-100 (2 induted till 2015)
MPR includes Arudhra and Elta supplied ELM2084 (also called Arudhra)

However IAF never showed them during Republic Day. DRDO showed them. Meaning probably Arudhra, Ashwini are still in development. Imported ones are deployed though(MPR,LLTR and LLLWR). My two cents.
Plus difficult to differentiate between MPR,LLTR, Rohini Radars from only satellite imagery. They seem same:/ Trailer based Mobile radars :p

Looking for Spyder SAM and Akash too. Again difficult to diiferentiate

Left out Indra Radars and Tin Shields. Cant recognise

If you do have any probable locations/news titbits do PM me.
The one thing that made me the most confused was when IAF started calling EL/M 2084 with the same name as Arudhra. WTF IAF?

Anyways, one last question: Given that the civilian radar network is also integrated into the IACCS (Integrated Air Command and Control System), should we not include these civilian radars in this analysis as well?

Tanmay

Country flag
updated coverage
12 THD-1955 spotted. :p:p (Green colored) 300km coverage
White circles are civilian airport with new radars (400 km max range. 100 km min detection). There are more. but it would be a mess in north.

In south the very small pink circles are Coastal surveillance radars for detecting boats.
indian coverage.JPG

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
updated coverage
White circles are civilian airport with new radars (400 km max range. 100 km min detection). There are more. but it would be a mess in north.

In south the very small pink circles are Coastal surveillance radars for detecting boats.
View attachment 23182

good work, add this

from coastal surveillance system......................

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
We need multi layered Air Defense for or cities and bases.
1)We need is Ballistic missile defence like Aegis.
2)Long range like S-400 to keep the enemy planes at bay.
3)Medium Range 100-200km range to protect cities
4)Short Range will be the last resort like Akash.
5)Point defence like the Iron Dome to protect critical assets like bases,fuel dumps and ammunition dump and bridges from long range MLRS and UAV's.

Arihant Roy

Country flag
updated coverage

View attachment 23182
To which radar does the red circle in North Bengal belong to ? The pink circles in NE represent which radar ?

Tanmay

Country flag
To which radar does the red circle in North Bengal belong to ? The pink circles in NE represent which radar ?
All info is publicly available:p
Won't share specific coordinates

The infrastructure required for Akash systems and MPR look similar. Probably even LLTR and Rohini radars in standalone condition might need similar infrastructure. So it's not possible to easily discriminate between them at our level .

Some bases have only got infrastructure. But no visible radars. But considering the current generation of radars are road mobile unlike the massive fixed THDs we cant deduce for sure if the base lacks the radar or there's is a mobile radar.

Pink circles are Akash squadrons
Each squadron gets a 3D Rohini radar and two Rajendra 2D radars.
Total publicly stated 6 bases got Akash.
Rest use Goa / pechora ( easily visible )
Few might use the new Spyder and MRSAM. No idea which ones.

Green are THD
Red are MPR ( elta 2084 / arudhra )
Purple are Akash / Rohini radars
Pink are coastal Surveillance radars ( along coasts for decrying ships)
White are civvie radars with max 300 km secondary radar and 120 km primary radars. Around 8- 14 such sites probably.

VSR_2096.JPG

Have updated a few civil radars and military sites. Will post later.

Tanmay

Country flag
Unexpected possible SAM site:p
Can anyone help me out with identifying the radar (from shadow??) and SAM. A bit weak in Russian SAM and radar systems identification.
No location to be shared.
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG

Tanmay

Country flag
20.JPG

Incomplete Combination of SA-3 and Akash SAM using 25km as strike range.
Shows the necessity of LRSAM, MRSAM and S300 like system for protection of a vast expanse.

Current SAMs are oriented only towards defence of airbase, port and not the city.

Tanmay

Country flag
09.JPG

Orissa BMD radar @Arihant Roy

Possible MRSAM or Spider mijjile TEL along Pakistan IB.
The base is supposed to get both.

While in IAF Pechora, Akash, Barak-8 are all MRSAM, Considering that both Barak-8 and Spyder will benefit from Elta 2084 radar I think Barak8 + Spider will be deployed together rather than Akash+Spider.

60.JPG

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles