Indian's death triggers riot in Singapore

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Indian's death triggers riot in Singapore

Twenty-seven South Asian workers, including 24 Indians, were arrested on Monday for alleged rioting in Singapore as its PM ordered a probe into the country's worst outbreak of violence in over 40 years.

Besides the Indians, two Bangladeshis and one Singapore permanent resident, whose origin was not known, were also arrested for Sunday night's rioting, triggered by a road accident that killed an Indian worker. At least 18 people, including 10 policemen, were injured when some 400 people attacked the police and damaged 16 vehicles in an Indian district here, police said.

The trouble started after a private bus fatally knocked down an Indian pedestrian, 33-year-old Sakthivel Kuaravelu, around 9.20pm at the junction of Race Course Road and Hampshire Road in Little India, a precinct of Indian-origin businesses, eateries and pubs where most of the South Asian workers take their Sunday break, they said. All the 27 arrested are in the agegroup of 23-45 and face charges under "rioting with dangerous weapons" , punishable by up to seven years in prison as well as caning. The Indian high commission in Singapore said it was calling on all parties to remain calm following the riot. "We understand the situation is under control and Singapore authorities have appealed for maintaining calm by all sections of society. We hope all parties will maintain calm," said the high commission in a statement.

High commissioner Vijay Thakur Singh said they were in constant touch with the Singapore authorities to ascertain the facts of the incidents. Singh said the mission would inform the next of kin of Kumaravelu.

PM Lee Hsien Loong conveyed his deepest condolences to the family of Kumaravelu and ordered a probe into the incident. "I also offer my deepest condolences to the family of Sakthivel Kumaravelu. I have directed the ministry of home affairs to convene a committee of inquiry (COI) to look into this serious incident. The COI will look into the factors that led to the incident and how the incident was handled on the ground," Lee said.

Indian's death triggers riot in Singapore - The Times of India

t_co

Singapore to Charge Rioters After Little India Violence

Singapore to Charge Rioters After Little India Violence - Bloomberg

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong ordered an inquiry into Singapore's first riot in more than four decades as tensions rise over the influx of foreign workers in the city state.

"There is no excuse for such violent and criminal behavior," Lee said in a statement yesterday. Twenty-four Indian nationals were charged today in the Singapore Subordinate Courts with one count of rioting.

The riot involving about 400 people broke out on the night of Dec. 8 in the Little India district after a traffic accident, the police said in a separate statement yesterday. Little India, about 3 kilometers (2 miles) from the city state's central business district, attracts thousands of foreign workers on their Sunday days off.

Discontent in Singapore over foreign workers has risen after years of open immigration spurred complaints on social media about congestion and infrastructure strains at a time of widening income inequality. A four-year government campaign to encourage companies to employ fewer overseas workers has in turn led to a labor shortage, prompting some companies to seek cheaper locations.

The riot was "a new thing, that's definitely a watershed of a kind," Bilveer Singh, an associate professor at National University of Singapore's department of political science, said by phone. "I don't think we have seen this for decades now."
Is there racism against Indians in Singapore?

JBH22

Re: Singapore to Charge Rioters After Little India Violence

Its not a country where nonsense will be tolerated.

I really admire Singapore for their strict enforcement of Law.

Free Karma

Re: Singapore to Charge Rioters After Little India Violence

I really dont understand what the riot was about...some guy was run over by a bus in an accident and died...so riot! o.0

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
From the newsreport: The folks who went on a riot were Indian migrant workers and not Singapore residents. Tamil Singaporeans and Malaysians don't identify themselves as Indians.

The Fox

In the Regional Tamil News channels it is said that the victim was pushed out of the moving bus by the Chinese origin lady driver and he fell down on the pavement and died on the spot which lead to the riots...... if it was any other accident i don't think there would be a riot

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
In the Regional Tamil News channels it is said that the victim was pushed out of the moving bus by the Chinese origin lady driver and he fell down on the pavement and died on the spot which lead to the riots...... if it was any other accident i don't think there would be a riot
The reason for being pushed ?

RIP .. God give courage and strength to the family of the victim .

Hope the victim's family will get compensations .

The Fox

He was a immigrant n she was chinese
The reason for being pushed ?

RIP .. God give courage and strength to the family of the victim .

Hope the victim's family will get compensations .

amoy

S'porean authority was very vigilant and harsh towards immigrant workers. Previously Chinese workers on strike (for pay and working conditions) were fined n deported. Quotas are deliberately set for immigrants to keep "ethnical balance".

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned
obviously he will get the compensation and the chinese who pushed him out should get punished as well
of course .. Guilty must be punished whoever target, harass and kill civilians and misuse the power given to them by the government .

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

From My Close Friend Who working in Singapore

Little India is a Fun Place that My Friend is Visiting a day in every week ..He told Me he Just leaves before the Clashes Start .most of then came there to only for Fun

The guy who died is overly drunken and try to convince a Bus driver and tried to Beat ..But he evaded and Pushed him Back he fell down the bus go over him

and so he was told Me that Indians Should Keep his Freedom in other Countries not to Break the Rules as of Freedom

Deccani

Tihar Jail
Banned

From My Close Friend Who working in Singapore

Little India is a Fun Place that My Friend is Visiting a day in every week ..He told Me he Just leaves before the Clashes Start .most of then came there to only for Fun

The guy who died is overly drunken and try to convince a Bus driver and tried to Beat ..But he evaded and Pushed him Back he fell down the bus go over him

and so he was told Me that Indians Should Keep his Freedom in other Countries not to Break the Rules as of Freedom

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong today condoled the death of an Indian national who was killed in a road accident in the city-state's Indian district. Sakthivel Kumaravelu, 33, was fatally knocked down last night by a bus in Little India

"The vast majority of foreign workers in Singapore are law-abiding workers. They contribute to our economy, working hard to earn a living and support their families back home. We must not allow this bad incident to tarnish our views of the foreign worker community here," said Lee, assuring both foreign workers and Singaporeans.

Lee also urged Singaporeans to remain calm and continue with "our daily lives".
Singapore PM condoles Indian's death in accident - Hindustan Times

Seems a Nice Indian who was working in Singapore for the last 2 years and was loved by everyone in the neighborhood .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles