Indian visiting grandson in Alabama, attacked by police, paralyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

Walking around. No monkey or chimp can claim it's illegal.
That would seem natural, but recently in Florida it has become illegal to feed poor people. :lol:

I wonder who make these laws.

Because in eyes of law burden of proof lies on Mr. Patel. Let he come with his statement contradicting police facts then it will be to decide who is right and who is wrong.
If a person is strolling on the sidewalk (not private property), then the burden of proof lies on that person to prove he is innocent? The attorney said that?

pmaitra

When he claimed he was talking a walk as per his daily activity (exercise) he was told go to park instead of other neighborhoods.
So, the attorney said it was illegal to walk on the sidewalk, and the only place that it is legal to walk is the park? Or was he walking on someone's private property? Give the details. I am trying to make sense out of whatever you are saying.

ladder

Country flag
Because in eyes of law burden of proof lies on Mr. Patel. Let he come with his statement contradicting police facts then it will be to decide who is right and who is wrong.
No, it's COP's duty to prove what was the reasonable evidence to have concluded a person has committed, committing or going to commit a felony or hampering public order.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
So, the attorney said it was illegal to walk on the sidewalk, and the only place that it is legal to walk is the park? Or was he walking on someone's private property? Give the details. I am trying to make sense out of whatever you are saying.
The attorney said it was in legal framework for cop to stop, ask for identification and ask nature of activity and failure to provide identification the cop can take you to police station.

The warning was given on basis that old man walks suspiciously in the evening.

ladder

Country flag
Because you didn't face the situation
LoL! even Martian didn't face the situation.

Only because your relative was decent enough and knew that it is a waste of time to purse the case, he accepted the warning. He must have had better business to handle.

But, that doesn't mean the cop was right.

There is a wide difference between loitering ( which is prohibited) and not walking or commuting.

Because a brown man was walking, the COP's limited comprehension constituted as loitering, so the warning.

ladder

Country flag
The attorney said it was in legal framework for cop to stop, ask for identification and ask nature of activity and failure to provide identification the cop can take you to police station.

The warning was given on basis that old man walks suspiciously in the evening.
Yes perfectly fine. Was Patel taken to Police Station?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
No, it's COP's duty to prove what was the reasonable evidence to have concluded a person has committed, committing or going to commit a felony or hampering public order.
It doesn't go the way you say. The cops made their story public for their version of events.
If Mr. Patel wants to challenge this events then he must prove that the events didn't happen the way cops described but the way Mr. Patel described. Hence burden of roof is with Mr.Patel.

ladder

Country flag
It doesn't go the way you say. The cops made their story public for their version of events.
If Mr. Patel wants to challenge this events then he must prove that the events didn't happen the way cops described but the way Mr. Patel described. Hence burden of roof is with Mr.Patel.
I have provided excerpts from police manual for it. Not my opinion.

LOL! because you say, right. That's why police isn't releasing A/V evidence, isn't it?

You also said the onus is on Mr. Patel. But, you can't provide evidence written or judicial.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
If he wanted to walk he should have walked in park. Wandering around on street is not acceptable in US.

Wandering on the street "is not acceptable"?

:lol:

I don't know why? Maybe it is the combination of the seriousness with which you post (in spite of not knowing anything) and the sheer amount of stupidity and gibberish in your post, I find your posts hilarious, to put it mildly. The rest of your comments were mostly garbage, so can't waste time on it. I suggest you actually learn something about the matter and come back.

Yes police can ask for ID and you can't refuse them else you can be arrested.

As already pointed out by @ladder . This is false.
Again your half-baked comments are simply hilarious.

Sir, I advice you study emergency protocols in US before commenting.

Putting big-big words without understanding the situation.
Comments, inline in red. Can't waste time making separate quotes for you.
In any case the other posters have already proved that all the posts you made are hollow and without substance.

PS: I agree with @pmaitra 's post #34.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Yes perfectly fine. Was Patel taken to Police Station?
How difficult is it for you to understand.

As per police statement says the officer attempted to frisk the man. "The subject began putting his hands in his pockets," reads the police statement. "Officers attempted to pat the subject down and he attempted to pull away. The subject was forced to the ground, which resulted in injury."

If Mr. Patel co-operated with police he would have been in the police station instead of hospital.
Don't give the language barrier bullshit again.
Its his/his sponsors responsibility to make him aware of police procedure.
Also in Mumbai consulate all emergency procedures are explained in English, Marathi, Hindi and Gujarati. Being from Gujarat he must have been through Mumbai consulate. He should have read the guidelines.

ladder

Country flag

As per police statement says the officer attempted to frisk the man. "The subject began putting his hands in his pockets," reads the police statement. "Officers attempted to pat the subject down and he attempted to pull away. The subject was forced to the ground, which resulted in injury."

If Mr. Patel co-operated with police he would have been in the police station instead of hospital.
Also in Mumbai consulate all emergency procedures are explained in English, Marathi, Hindi and Gujarati. Being from Gujarat he must have been through Mumbai consulate. He should have read the guidelines.
What language bullshit. It is monkey crap that you don't understand. What evidence have you provided? Just uninformed garbage opinion? Idiot.

DingDong

Country flag

Do you know the difference between a free country and a police state? If yes then you would not argue on "procedures".

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
What language bullshit. It is monkey crap that you don't understand. What evidence have you provided? Just uninformed garbage opinion? Idiot.
Read the first post. The police have released their official statement. Currently their legal position is strong.
You have some sixth sense that cops are wrong and Mr. Patel was right, please enlighten me on the same.
You started talking about language barrier.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The police statement says the officer attempted to frisk the man. "The subject began putting his hands in his pockets," reads the police statement. "Officers attempted to pat the subject down and he attempted to pull away.
I am older than the subject. If I had acted as he did in India, what would police do to me?

If a policeman anywhere attempted to frisk me, I would not put my hands in my pockets or pull away.

To me, complying would just be common sense.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
The comments from Americans here actually support Mr. Patel over cops. Weird to see those who are US citizens acknowledging police brutality that exists there while those here @Dark Sorrow supporting the action of cops.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/11/grandfather-paralyzed-alabama-police_n_6664622.htm
Saar don't you know Indians(specially Gujratis) are very nosy people (http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/foreign-relations/66635-indian-visiting-grandson-alabama-attacked-police-paralyzed.html#post1003343) and taking walks on sdewalk is a crime?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles