Indian students in US radio-tagged; angry govt says remove it Read more: Indian stud

JayATL

to note Yusuf: Nothing personal in my questions. he is upset that I asked him and that too very politely, apologizing in advnace if I had his politics wrong, the irony that IF he is shiv sena member ( they are racists in their philosophy, nobody sane will argue that)- then how can one get on a high horse about US liberal or lack of liberal policies.

maybe another example- and in now way or shape am I calling him one: But you don't ask a ex-SS officer to sit or comment on a human rights commission board.

Now of course he is getting personal , at first in another post - which he edited. and now calling me a Pakistani :)

S.A.T.A

The American institution and so where their claims,hence the fraud was perpetrated by the American institution,surely the indian students didn't have the clairvoyance to see through the scam which seems to have missed the US law enforcement agency until recently.Its ok if Americans dont want to own up the frauds and scams perpetrated upon gullible outsiders by them,it won't be for the first time after all....

P.S:I have good reasons to believe you are a pakistani pretending to be an Indian American,surely you are not the only one who can assess people.

Oracle

The American institution and so where their claims,hence the fraud was perpetrated by the American institution,surely the indian students didn't have the clairvoyance to see through the scam which seems to have missed the US law enforcement agency until recently.Its ok if Americans dont want to own up the frauds and scams perpetrated upon gullible outsiders by them,it won't be for the first time after all....

P.S:I have good reasons to believe you are a pakistani pretending to be an Indian American,surely you are not the only one who can assess people.
:D :D :bounce::bounce::rotflmao::rotflmao:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Tri-Valley fiasco: AP parties want Minister to go to US

HYDERABAD: An all-party meeting in Andhra Pradesh today demanded that the State Government bring pressure on the Centre to address issues related to America's Tri-Valley University, which has duped Indian students, and send an AP Minister to the US to deal with the matter.

The meet, attended by the representatives of ruling Congress, main Opposition Telugu Desam Party , CPI(M), CPI , Lok Satta and others sought the National Human Rights Commission's intervention in this regard.

"The State Government should constitute an effective machinery and consult the Central Government and send someone from the State Cabinet to the US to deal with the issues related to Indian students," they said.

Most of the duped students are from Andhra Pradesh. Authorities have shut down the California-based university on charges of a massive immigration fraud. The students have been forced to wear radio collars around their ankles so that authorities can keep track of their movements.

The political parties said all the students be given admission in other universities and their harassment should stop immediately.

The fee paid by the students to Tri-Valley University should be refunded and necessary arrangements be made for those willing to come back to India, they said.

ET

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Fake varsity issue to figure prominently during talks

With the radio tagging of Indian students duped by a fake university in US triggering outrage in India, India on Tuesday said it will ask Washington how such a "dubious" institute was allowed to function. The issue is set to dominate talks when Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao travels to the US later this month.

Krishna stressed that India has taken up the issue of the students being tagged. "We have taken it up with the USA at the highest level. Our Ambassador and the Consul-General in San Francisco are in touch with the Indian students," said the minister who had Sunday termed the radio-tagging as "unacceptable".

The issue is set to figure prominently in discussions when Rao travels to the US, likely Feb 11, informed sources said.

Rao's visit is part of a series of preparatory meetings to firm up the agenda of US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's visit to India in April for the second round of foreign minister-level strategic dialogue. However, since the unravelling of the fake university in the US, the issue is now expected to be on top of her talks with senior officials of the Obama administration.

Earlier, Krishna had strongly condemned the radio tagging of Indian students terming the practice as "inhuman" and demanded that the US government "initiate severe action against those officials responsible for this inhuman act".

The US has, however, vigorously defended the radio tagging of Indian students the practice was a "standard procedure" for a variety of investigations.

"Use of ankle monitors is widespread across the United States and standard procedure for a variety of investigations, and does not necessarily imply guilt or suspicion of criminal activity," the US embassy said in a statement on Monday

HT

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
US diplomat apologises for radio tagging remarks

An American diplomat tendered an apology on Tuesday for her controversial remarks over the radio anklets attached on Indian students of the California-based Tri-Valley University which was closed down by US authorities for alleged visa fraud. Juliet Wurr, public affairs officer of the US Consulate, apologised for the remarks that the radio anklets look "trendy".

Her remarks that the radio anklets look "trendy" triggered a controversy with the Ministry of External Affairs lodging a protest over it.

She said she gave interviews to some TV channels on Tuesday during which she actually tried to describe the ankle monitors.

"At the end of that interview, I was asked a question about the ankle monitors that some of the students have been asked to wear and I tried to describe what they looked like.

"But what I did not do was really respond to the sense of shame, pain and confusion that people must have felt when they were asked to wear those anklets. For that I deeply apologise.

"Because I would never want to insult or hurt the feelings of any Indian and particularly of young people who are going through a very trying time now with this situation. I forgot about the feelings behind that and I think people responded when I did not mention that," she said tonight.

"We welcome Indian students in the United States. I know from personal experience how much I learnt the first time I met an Indian student when I was in undergraduate.

"Indian students bring great talent, brilliance, hard work and interest in our culture and we welcome them with open arms. We want them to have the best educational experiences that they can," he said.

HT

JayATL

first I'll address the logic and then the paranoia . the indian students if unaware through some miracle ,were brilliant on day one in the US to move to another state and find a under the table job- while telepathically attending classes. You still insist on NOT reading the article a trait among some you know what thinkers again.

Now to the Paranoia- I see you want to equate me asking you if you are a shiv sena follower- which is simply a yes or no answer - as reason to throw the ' your a pakistani' allegation at me. I won't pseudo intellectualize my answer, rather I will say a simple No. Now, the ball is your court for a simple yes or no answer. Keeping your history of comments is mind , are you a shiv Sena follower( its philosophy)?

Oracle

So? That settles all the insults? I agree, some of those Indians were part of this conspiracy, but how humanely is it possible to GPS-lock Indians, we ain't United States of Pakistanis. Time, we show some spine and get our sons back. This is our century and we must act like one.

Agantrope

What the hell is this?
they can justify and then they can apologises?

Lethargic Indian government now have some more reason to make more IITs and IIMs and it will be a welcome move. GoI need to respond than reacting.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Keep track on University, not students

[video]http://www.timesnow.tv/videoshow/4363998.cms[/video]

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
US assures Tri-Valley University students fair deal

After snubbing India for its concern over radio tagging of the students of TVU in California, the US customs and immigration authorities on Tuesday made a dramatic U-turn and assured New Delhi that they would be dealt with fairly.

Sources told Headlines Today that the director of US Immigration Customs and Enforcement (ICE), John Morton, called up Indian Ambassador Meera Shankar in Washington to assure her that they would give a fair deal to the students.

Morton spoke to Shankar after New Delhi put pressure on the US through diplomatic channels. Sources said that Morton assured the Indian envoy that a majority of students' status would be reviewed and those who have a legitimate case would be issued fresh visas

India Today

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
TVU students may have to wait till Sept

HYDERABAD: Indian students facing the prospect of deportation after being duped by the Tri-Valley University and losing their student visa status may have to languish in the US till September, when hearing in the case is expected to be slotted.

What is worse, SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) will remain blocked till the hearing. SEVIS is a web-based programme of the Department of Homeland Security designed to track foreign students in the US. While SEVIS remains blocked, the students cannot apply for fresh admissions anywhere in the US.

"A number of students went to meet officials at the US Consulate but they have been told that nothing can be done now. They will have to wait till the hearing in September. Earlier, they were told that the hearing will be in May but later, indicated it will be in September," said Karthikeya, relative of an affected student.The passports of the students have also been confiscated by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) authorities to ensure that they do not leave the country. This is in addition to the radio collars tagged to their ankles.

The students, who have borrowed hefty loans for studying in the US, face an uncertain future as they can neither study nor work nor even return. However, in what seems to be a silver lining, the ICE authorities indicated that visas of most of the affected students would be reviewed and promised a "fair" deal.

ExpressBuzz

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
TVU: This university doesn't know grammar, but that's the least of its problems

"We believe that ICE agents have committed adultery with the real criminal and misled by the vicious wrong accusation by the two criminals to conduct such a 'Sham' act."

This is the response Dr Susan Su, president of Tri-Valley University, sent to email queries by The Indian Express on her institution finding itself at the centre of allegations of massive immigration fraud, with tens of Indian students caught in the middle.

If the barely comprehensible reply hardly inspires confidence that her university wasn't just a front to allow students looking to immigrate an easy access to the US, consider another startling point she makes in her e-mail. The director concedes the university offered 15 per cent of "each course fee bonus" to students who brought family members to join since it treated "students as partners".

According to her, the reason the university is in such a mess is none other than two of its Indian staff members.

The California-based Tri-Valley University, being probed by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), also admits it was not mandatory for students, including those on F1 visa (non-immigrant visa that does not allow full-time work), to attend classes on campus — this is likely to be construed a violation of visa rules.

This university doesn't know grammar, but that's the least of its problems "TVU is able to grow successfully and exponentially is mainly because TVU live TV broadcasting capability, allow students to attend class in live remotely. Many students call for admission first question asked is: "Do I have to be forced to come to the Pleasanton campus for class or not". And we answer them: "You are welcome to, but you do not need to. You will see everything in your computer as here projected on the wall," the TVU chief stated in her email response.

TVU, which was shut down last month, said it was not responsible for duping students, including 1,555 foreign students, mostly Indians.

Susan Su accused staff members Anji Reddy and Ram Krista Karra of asking students to make tuition payments in Karra's personal account in exchange for I-20 forms and Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval.

Su claimed that Reddy worked in the administration office and was a student assistant while Karra was another student who also ran a consultancy in the region.

"TVU had fired these two individuals. After the firing, these two people spread viscous rumor among students. They continue to threaten TVU student. TVU file a police report. In the fear of a fate that they deserved, to be frozen bank account and departed from US, those two individuals continue their vicious attack effort and spread rumor, also went to SF ICE office to make same false, wrong statements about the University administration," stated the email titled "Defend material".

But the university also admitted it gave 15 percent of "each course fee bonus" to students who brought their family members to join the university as they treated their "students as partners".

Since its inception in March 2008 when it operated out of Su's home, student intake had increased to around 5,000. "Many housewife students project the class meeting in live in their home, and family member and friend are all watching and then all join together," the email said.

The university also admitted that its "growing students body only partially are international F1 students... Among 5000 TVU students, only 1555 are active international students, and only 140 students applied a VISA with TVU's I 20."

I-20 is a form issued by a US university to international students admitted to its programme, on the basis of which they apply for a student visa.

The TVU email said the university was considering a lawsuit against the ICE and SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) against the "sham" allegation.

"Within two weeks, with this investigation, and twisted news blow out of per potion, every single day average $300,000 of student claim refund... The Fed shall apologize for such a serious "Sham" mistake, repay for the damage done to the University and the founder Dr. Susan Su's name and reputation," the email stated.

BOX
'Tagging hip, happening'
NEW DELHI: Juliet Wurr, Public Affairs Officer at the US Consulate in Hyderabad, on Tuesday called the tagging of Indian students in California "hip and happening". "Those anklets are used when you have somebody who might flee... The anklets are very hip and happening. Many of our movie stars caught in drunken driving or else choose the anklets than sitting in a prison," said Wurr. She added that the anklets were "hot and trendy", "I don't know why people are getting upset about this." Soon after her comments appeared on TV channels, Jawed Ashraf, Joint Secretary (Americas) in the External Affairs Ministry, called up US Deputy Chief of Mission Donald Lu and told him that the comments were "unacceptable". Wurr later expressed regret.

Indian Express

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am not too clear about the case.

If TriValley is an accredited university as per the US Govt, then how is it a bogus university?

Any action being taken against Susie Wong or whatever is the name of the lady who runs it?

It is also extraordinary since the US runs a whole lot of checks, terrorist, illegal immigrant chances, etc before allowing entry into the US. So, how come the US allowed these students in to join a bogus university. If indeed it is bogus university and is accredited one, then the US Govt is at fault.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If indeed the radio anklets are trendy, then their President, the Congressmen and Senators and the US Ambassador here should wear it in the similar fashion of ear-rings which are worn these days since they are trendy!

Juliet Wurr, public affairs officer of the US Consulate, apparently is a nanny goat!

And our Foreign Minister's reaction is that of a sheep as was his reaction to the Indian bashing in Australia.

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

first I'll address the logic and then the paranoia . the indian students if unaware through some miracle ,were brilliant on day one in the US to move to another state and find a under the table job- while telepathically attending classes. You still insist on NOT reading the article a trait among some you know what thinkers again.

Now to the Paranoia- I see you want to equate me asking you if you are a shiv sena follower- which is simply a yes or no answer - as reason to throw the ' your a pakistani' allegation at me. I won't pseudo intellectualize my answer, rather I will say a simple No. Now, the ball is your court for a simple yes or no answer. Keeping your history of comments is mind , are you a shiv Sena follower( its philosophy)?
Your strident defense of the fraud perpetrated by your adopted country,although clownish,is mostly a result of patriotic fervor than abject reason.surely you will agree that you cannot visit America unless you have accredited and valid travel documents which are issued to visitors,in this case the students visa issued upon the authority of a fraudulent university, which until it was busted,was acknowledged by the American authorities as being valid and legal.

Even if the American university turned out to be a fraudulent establishment,it does not mean that the students who traveled to that country on documents attested by that establishment,can be held as criminals,because they ,like the American law enforcement agencies were unaware that the university was illegal.........

Surely your own experience of immigrating from Pakistan would have sufficiently acquainted to the facts why the Indian students are victims and not criminals,which is why the govt of India is vigorously defending their case.

P.S:Obama's anguish of over falling standards of US education and its impact on the intellectual capabilities of its citizens is perhaps not completely misplaced.

Last edited:

warriorextreme

Country flag

why are you asking if someone is shiv sena follower as if asking a terrorist if he belongs to al-quida?
since this thread is not about party politics in india you should stop talking about it and PM SATA.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
why are you asking if someone is shiv sena follower as if asking a terrorist if he belongs to al-quida?
since this thread is not about party politics in india you should stop talking about it and PM SATA.
Lol lol, definitely a wrong analogy. You have just hit sata below the belt.

JayATL

Your strident defense of the fraud perpetrated by your adopted country,although clownish,is mostly a result of patriotic fervor than abject reason.surely you will agree that you cannot visit America unless you have accredited and valid travel documents which are issued to visitors,in this case the students visa issued upon the authority of a fraudulent university, which until it was busted,was acknowledged by the American authorities as being valid and legal.

Even if the American university turned out to be a fraudulent establishment,it does not mean that the students who traveled to that country on documents attested by that establishment,can be held as criminals,because they ,like the American law enforcement agencies were unaware that the university was illegal.........

Surely your own experience of immigrating from Pakistan would have sufficiently acquainted to the facts why the Indian students are victims and not criminals,which is why the govt of India is vigorously defending their case.

P.S:Obama's anguish of over falling standards of US education and its impact on the intellectual capabilities of its citizens is perhaps not completely misplaced.
Nothing personal but what is extremely hypocritical in this situation_ is that we have an obvious flawed poster, in you, preaching about what should and should not be the " Human rights" equation in this case- when you subscribe to Bal Thuggery- making sure only your people ( Maratha) get special rights over every other citizen in the great state of Maharashtra and India and ensure it through violence! - and you are the one to lecture or impart any points on this subject? :D

Even so- your limited knowledge on this subject is clouding your arguments, by your insistence on not reading up on the subject matter_ due to a mixture of false sense of pride and pure paranoia, and is making you look increasingly like Baghdad bob. My points of contention is based purely on law and not some personal pride of being an American Indian.

Every indication is that said students in custody knew about this being a hustle. I've given examples of it here, where once they landed they went off to finding jobs and fraudulently listing the institution as their place of residence BUT all you do is insist on not reading the ground realities. Like I said you are sounding like the reincarnation of Baghdad Bob! i.e. no facts / no thing- will deter the propaganda of the day.

I have assigned the blame of rogue behavior on both ends and even posted as such in these very threads. But accountability in this case is also on both ends and not just one end, as you have insisted. Rule of law is rule of law- foreign to some ...

I'd wished earlier that you actually read the facts reported in this case to date, instead of being all hat no cattle BUT alas, I suspect the only expectation is to now wait on the Joseph Goebbels of these board to impart his next rendition of ' lets deny the facts and rather play pseudo intellectualism"

P.S. Obama has also warned about false pride and the need to be wary of a wolf in sheep's clothing , professing their love for human rights

Last edited:

JayATL

First, I agree with the analogy of shiv sena followers is akin to being a terrorist member of AQ, wholeheartedly.

next, I had originally asked that question of him because I found it mildly amusing that a de facto human rights denier Ala Shiv Sena man, was lecturing another nation on how they should have treated an indian citizen. When! in fact that very citizen(s), unless Maratha, would have been in the back of the line in India- if the shiva sena outlook is implemented in India itself.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles