Indian student wins design award for water producing 'leaf'

bhramos

Country flag
NEW DELHI: Inspired by a natural leaf, a Pune-based student's design for a self-generating water source powered by the sun and capable of producing 20 litres of drinking water every day has bagged an international design award.

"Leaf" an 18-feet tall solar powered water condensation unit designed by Anurag Sarda has won first place out of entries submitted by top design schools across the world for the " Time to Care Sustainable Design Award".

The competition was organised by Victorinox Swiss Army, a Swiss company popular for their Army knives.

"For me availability of water is a key problem. I wanted to create a sustainable design and chose to do the 'Leaf' after I saw dewdrops on the seat of my bike and thought about converting into a product, " says Sarda.

Similar to a natural leaf, water is artificially generated through condensation. The water gets purified through an attached sand-filtration and later collected into an earthen pot.

Sarda's project is currently in the conceptual stage and according to him can be be practically implemented in humid regions in Asia, North America, South America, Africa and Australia.

"I am working on a prototype model in the next two years with sponsorship by Victorinox," says Sarda , a student of MIT Institute of Design (MITID) who is currently pursuing an internship in Germany.

Sarda's project pipped the waterless toilet and Safety net which bagged second and third places respectively.

Indian student wins design award for water producing 'leaf' - The Economic Times

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I hope that he comes back to India to set up manufacturing plant and pursue further R & D in other fields to help the humanity. As well as mentor up and coming stars of India in the field of innovation(Science).

bhramos

Country flag
I hope that he comes back to India to set up manufacturing plant and pursue further R & D in other fields to help the humanity. As well as mentor up and coming stars of India in the field of innovation(Science).
noway he will not return to India, may be he may sell his project to some Indian Company,
even if he returns, Indian system will not help him grow in his research........
may be he stays there and help India grow...

trackwhack

noway he will not return to India, may be he may sell his project to some Indian Company,
even if he returns, Indian system will not help him grow in his research........
may be he stays there and help India grow...
Dont lose heart brahmos, for every three NRI turds who seek permanent citizenship or residency abroad, there is one NRI turd whose only sole objective is to raise capital to go back and reinvest in India. I have friends aplenty who have done so. The whole brain drain thingy wont go on for ever. It will stagnate, it will stop.

bhramos

Country flag
Dont lose heart brahmos, for every three NRI turds who seek permanent citizenship or residency abroad, there is one NRI turd whose only sole objective is to raise capital to go back and reinvest in India. I have friends aplenty who have done so. The whole brain drain thingy wont go on for ever. It will stagnate, it will stop.
you are correct friend, you said about is about one in three, second one is trying for green card, third is failing to live there and getting with no money in hand and getting back as a failed guy, this is my personal exp, as i am third type......

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
you are correct friend, you said about is about one in three, second one is trying for green card, third is failing to live there and getting with no money in hand and getting back as a failed guy, this is my personal exp, as i am third type......
Take this as a lesson to never abandon India :taunt:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles